Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2017 9:43:21 PM EDT
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.7 L engine.

Ignoring the ATE versus Akebono caliper issue, I am curious about the various offerings from Rock Auto.  I am keeping the vehicle and do not want marginal parts but do not need top of the line either.

They vary from Centric ceramic brake pads and C-TEK standard rotor for $110 and others around $80 to

Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic/carbon fiber pads for $145 to

Powerstop Heavy duty/Towing package for about $145.

Having seen the towing optimized set I am leaning in that direction.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay away from Chinese steel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like good advice but I am not seeing country of origin in the specs.  I may have to google the brand.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone on here uses brembos, but that's on brand new f150s that are paid for and bro dozed

I have 2003 GC that I use for a beater, I have had oriellys brake best select on for 5 years and 40 k with no problems
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sounds like good advice but I am not seeing country of origin in the specs.  I may have to google the brand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

and it isn't easy verifying country of origin.   A lot of brands import from all over.

When  I buy in a store, they actually have to pull the boxes to check.   Online, it's probably worse.

If it doesn't say, "Made in USA, Canada, Germany" etc, you pretty much have to assume China, Mexico, etc.

I just went though this with buying tires online.  It's maddening.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:06:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Everyone on here uses brembos, but that's on brand new f150s that are paid for and bro dozed

I have 2003 GC that I use for a beater, I have had oriellys brake best select on for 5 years and 40 k with no problems
View Quote

The Oreillys stuff is fine. Get the pads and rotors. If you're smart, you will join the rewards membership to best track your transactions, earn coupons and warranty exchange them when needed as they have a life time warranty.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it advice or advise?

Also, it's gonna be hard to avoid Chinese cast iron rotors, even decent brands are out of China these days.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:08:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I put power stop on my HD truck. The heavy duty towing version.  Had them on for 6 months or so. Fit and finish was great, pedal feel is improved. Less fade, I use them hard. 

I don't have enough miles on them to tell how well the ceramic carbon fiber compound wears but I'm happy so far. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:12:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Ebc rotor and pad package if they offer one
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:13:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I always used factory pads and Napa rotors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top