Page / 46
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Edit: disregard read op again got my answer
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The salesman sold you the truck for less than they wanted.  Sales manager was probably off that day and shit a brick when he/she got back.  Happened to my friend with a '16 Camero.  They called him and said "The VIN on the paperwork was wrong, so we sold it for $8K less than it should have went for, so if you can just write us a check for $8K, that would be great, thanks."  The VIN story was a lie, the sales manager was pissed that they undersold the car while he was away.  They harassed my friend for a week with every pressure and sob story in the book.  In the end, it was just their loss.
View Quote

That's not how it works at all.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It is through the dealer. Supposed to be GM financial.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, here's the thing. I have the long form that shows my payment and interest rate along with the correct vehicle. However, I also have a rider that basically says the car is a loan until financing is in place. I didn't read that and it also wasn't explained as that, so yes that part is my fault. But, they have already registered the car in my name and paid off my old lease and turned it back in to another dealer as an end of lease.

Did you finance through the dealership? If so, they are probably going to find a way to kill the deal. If you used another bank, wait until it goes through.

It is through the dealer. Supposed to be GM financial.

@nisa715 feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
How did the negotiating go with the dealers rep?

Did you negotiate a $400mo payment and then when the contract came for you to sign it says $150, so you thought to yourself "sweet" and signed on the dotted line?

or

Did you negotiate a $400mo payment and now they want to make the payment $650?

(I obviously don't know your payment amount, I'm just picking $400 out of thin air)
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You get real plates when you leave the dealer in Illinois.
View Quote
Enjoy your 2017, but contact an attorney if it's worth it for you. You also should contact the state CPD (consumer protection). Tell the dealership that any communication needs to be sent via registered mail, and cease all communication with them. Also, contact whoever is financing your vehicle via telephone (record the conversation & let them know that you are). You have a great case, but nothing is airtight until it is.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Filing a false report is a crime.

OP knows his old car isn't stolen & the disposition of it would be a civil matter...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they try shit report your old car as stolen.

Filing a false report is a crime.

OP knows his old car isn't stolen & the disposition of it would be a civil matter...

This is a written contract. They may find a loophole to void the contract, but it would void the entire contract. Therefore they sold a vehicle they did not legally have the right to sell. A business can commit a theft. They just use a pen not a gun. It does prove they thought it was a completed deal until they found out they messed up the incentives.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
So here's a fun reverse situation that happened to me. I traded in my BMW 335d on a older '03 Crown Vic at the local ford dealer on a Sunday as I was bored with the BMW, I had a short commute at the time, and just wanted a cheap beater again. BMW bought my diesel back immediately as it was in high demand. I kept going around in circles with the dealer about the final cost of the car as they kept going over the NADA value for the crown vic which is what my credit union (also local) uses to determine max loan value. They said it wasn't a problem and the little bit over the value wasn't a big deal to me so I do the trade and drive off in my happy POS vic. I told the sales manager and finance guy that they (my local credit union) WOULD NOT go over NADA value multiple times but they said its cool we deal with them all the time it's all good. Well Monday afternoon the finance guy calls me back and tells me there's some discrepancies and I need to come in ASAP. I start working on my ulcer as I think they're gonna try to jam me up for more money. Well sure as shit they couldn't get the loan for more than NADA value and the paperwork was already signed. I had to come in and re-sign for the lower value that they had to eat. Finance guy was none too happy but I laughed my ass off the whole time.

It was nowhere near the different OP is dealing with but I think I hit the one in a million other side of the bell curve with that situation i went though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is a fairly common scam at dealerships. Google around for tons of similar stories and what the outcome was for them.
View Quote

Not really a scam at all.  People with poor credit get poor interest rates and those rates can vary widely depending on which bank picks up the loan, if they do at all.  When people are called back in to resign it is either because their payment is either going up or down based on the approval from the BANK, not the dealership.  

The whiny stories you read online are from the shitbirds with multiple collections and repos and the only bank that was willing to risk loaning them money wanted a higher rate, but the shitbirds don't want to admit they're shitbirds so they conveniently leave that part out.  What you never hear about is the daily occurrence at the dealership of people's payments going down because we got them approved for a lower rate.  Everyone always wants to hate the dealership because customers are 100% innocent.

Now, with regards to what the OP posted, I don't know what's going on, but something doesn't pass the sniff test and it doesn't sound like we're getting the full story.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not really a scam at all.  People with poor credit get poor interest rates and those rates can vary widely depending on which bank picks up the loan, if they do at all.  When people are called back in to resign it is either because their payment is either going up or down based on the approval from the BANK, not the dealership.  

The whiny stories you read online are from the shitbirds with multiple collections and repos and the only bank that was willing to risk loaning them money wanted a higher rate, but the shitbirds don't want to admit they're shitbirds so they conveniently leave that part out.  What you never hear about is the daily occurrence at the dealership of people's payments going down because we got them approved for a lower rate.  Everyone always wants to hate the dealership because customers are 100% innocent.

Now, with regards to what the OP posted, I don't know what's going on, but something doesn't pass the sniff test and it doesn't sound like we're getting the full story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a fairly common scam at dealerships. Google around for tons of similar stories and what the outcome was for them.

I have zero collections and zero late payments, but I do have some high balances on some accounts. Put $1,000 down and traded a negative equity lease which is why they paid to end the lease and not buy it out. Drove the truck for 14 days before the dealer decided to contact me with their story about the plates being wrong.

If they didn't think the deal was going to go through then why did they pay off my lease and have it turned in the day I drove off the lot. Sure, there is such thing as Spot delivery, but paying off a lease and turning it back to another dealer seems like they fucked themselves if financing wasn't 100%. They have zero chance of returning my car to me at this point, which means they have zero chance of following the law of the state.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dang. Tell em to foad.
View Quote

FPNI is the Pepe of message boards.  Go back wearing a frog shirt.  Kek.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have zero collections and zero late payments, but I do have some high balances on some accounts. Put $1,000 down and traded a negative equity lease which is why they paid to end the lease and not buy it out. Drove the truck for 14 days before the dealer decided to contact me with their story about the plates being wrong.

If they didn't think the deal was going to go through then why did they pay off my lease and have it turned in the day I drove off the lot. Sure, there is such thing as Spot delivery, but paying off a lease and turning it back to another dealer seems like they fucked themselves if financing wasn't 100%. They have zero chance of returning my car to me at this point, which means they have zero chance of following the law of the state.
View Quote

why not just call your salesperson and ask him what happened?  i stick to my theory that they put 2016 rebates (or some other non-applicable rebate) on your 2017 truck by mistake
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Since it's been tagged,  isn't the OP's truck now a used vehicle? Wouldn't that do bad things to it's sales value now?
View Quote

GMF said they never received the loan dox so no, the title has never changed hands.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I bought a new truck a couple weeks ago (posted about it here) and on Friday I get a call from the dealer saying they gave me the wrong plates so I need to come in. The call just seemed weird, so I had a feeling something was up.

I go into the dealer yesterday and the finance guy says there is actually something else he needs to talk to me about. They submitted the truck as a 16 and not the 17 I bought, so if I want to keep my truck the payment is $250 more, or they can try to get me into a 16 for the around the same payment. My last option would be to give it back. I traded in a lease I had and they have already paid off the lease, my account shows zero and the car was given back to another dealer already. When I mention this the guy says "oh, we already stopped payment on the check". Well, that is bullshit because I'm showing a zero balance, so Acura already cashed your check and it cleared.

I told them I'm not doing shit when I was there yesterday cause I didn't have time. Was told to come back in tomorrow. I'll be calling tomorrow to tell them they can either keep the payment I signed for or take the truck back and figure out how to recoup their money they paid on my lease.

Sorry for the long story, but I've been pissed all weekend.
View Quote

Get their demand in writing and take it to your state consumer protection agency. Enjoy your free truck, OP.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you probably had a higher LTV than normal which would also cause differences in rate and term.

How many months on the contract?

ETA:  It takes longer than a day to ground a lease.  Did they take it in as a trade-in or lease return?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

why not just call your salesperson and ask him what happened?  i stick to my theory that they put 2016 rebates (or some other non-applicable rebate) on your 2017 truck by mistake
View Quote

I'm assuming from the GM Financial loan that this was a GM dealership?  All incentives are pulled directly from the VIN# through GMGlobalconnect, they are not manually entered in.  If they did in fact just wing it off of the rebate matrix sheet, then they are fucking retarded, but again...  I think there's more to this than what we're getting.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Truth is it depends on your state laws....once again a lot of ignorant comments on GD from all the experts on the forum.

The phone call does sound shady to get you into the dealership.

A $250 difference in your monthly payment is roughly $2500 difference in the price of the vehicle.  I have no idea who dropped the ball, but I'd say it's probably due to manufacturer rebates as others have already stated.

With regards to financing, there are times where it can take more than a week or two for the financial institution to get an account number set up for the customer.

OP, I would call and speak to the General Manager or the owner if you can get in touch with the owner of the dealership.  I'd want to know the reason for the increase in monthly payment.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So you probably had a higher LTV than normal which would also cause differences in rate and term.

ETA:  It takes longer than a day to ground a lease.  Did they take it in as a trade-in or lease return?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did it as a lease return. They send a check to Acura which was posted to my account on the 15th, so I'm guessing Acura actually received it a couples days before since payments take a couple days to post with them. The car was returned to an Acura dealer the day I bought the truck and I signed off on it as a lease return. The Chevy dealer does not have the car and has in fact sent Acura the money to end the lease early.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A $250 difference in your monthly payment is roughly $2500 difference in the price of the vehicle.
View Quote

10 x 250 = 2500
60 x 250 = 15,000
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm thinking a local news station would love to make a story about it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#20]
If you take it back, I'd do an epic burnout and return it with bald rear tires.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

10 x 250 = 2500
60 x 250 = 15,000
View Quote

They didnt screw up $15,000 worth of rebates.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#22]
again,

How did the negotiating go with the dealers rep?

Did you negotiate a $400mo payment and then when the contract came for you to sign it says $150, so you thought to yourself "sweet" and signed on the dotted line?

or

Did you negotiate a $400mo payment and now they want to make the payment $650?

(I obviously don't know your payment amount, I'm just picking $400 out of thin air)
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#23]
When somebody comes in with a leased vehicle to trade we contact the lessor and find out what is owing on that vehicle that day.

Then we take that vehicle and assign an ACV and present it to the customer that is wanting to trade and state the difference between the ACV and the lease buyout. Terminating a lease early is going to cost the customer, it ALWAYS does.
If it's $5K difference then that $5K is considered negative equity and added to the loan of the new vehicle if the customer agrees and then the total is submitted to whatever bank that will risk a negative equity loan. That's when the interest rate starts to climb because of the risk factor.

I am willing to guess that whoever set up the deal in the business office/lease dept assigned the lease payout as ACV and rolled the truck without giving a thought to the negative equity in the trade.
At $250/month difference in the payment is looking like $15000 including interest over 60 months is $10,000 at a 17% sub-prime rate.

OP was $10K upside down in his lease and the business office fucked up buy rolling the truck without calculating the ACV and got caught.

I would love to see the paper work on that one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#24]
So they paid off the lease you were upside down in?

And they say the contract is wrong?  

Walk in, tell them to tear up the old contract before you get started on the new one.  You know, so there is no confusion with two floating around.

As soon as they tear it up, toss them their keys and walk out.

Go elsewhere and buy what you want.  

An old friend did this exact thing about 20 years ago at a local Toyota dealership that pulled this same shit on him.   Oh, and thank them for the use of a free truck for two weeks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll keep this short. Similar situation.

Left the dealership, got a call, they made a mistake.

I called Dodge directly.

Went to the DMV and made sure the tags were valid, they were. The dealership had 30 days to submit the title.

Told the dealership to go fuck themselves

Sales associate got fired

I still own the vehicle

Signed contract with possession of the vehicle, they are out unless you cave, I didn't.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 x 250 = 2500
60 x 250 = 15,000

You sure? OP can answer but I don't think they would be calling them back for $2500.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Truth is it depends on your state laws....once again a lot of ignorant comments on GD from all the experts on the forum.

The phone call does sound shady to get you into the dealership.

A $250 difference in your monthly payment is roughly $2500 difference in the price of the vehicle.  I have no idea who dropped the ball, but I'd say it's probably due to manufacturer rebates as others have already stated.

With regards to financing, there are times where it can take more than a week or two for the financial institution to get an account number set up for the customer.

OP, I would call and speak to the General Manager or the owner if you can get in touch with the owner of the dealership.  I'd want to know the reason for the increase in monthly payment.
View Quote

$250 a month is WAY more than $2500 on the price of the vehicle unless he financed it for a year.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Tell them the truck caught on fire, so you won't be making the payments anymore
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
You need to drive an old car until you save up enough to buy one with cash.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tell them the truck caught on fire, so you won't be making the payments anymore
View Quote

There has been an uptick in financial combustion cases in our area in the past year or so.
It's kind of like cash for brodozers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You need to drive an old car until you save up enough to buy one with cash.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#32]
WTF?   car payments??  OP stop being poor
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Truth in Lending & Leasing E&O.

Ask them if they carry it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
WTF?   car payments??  OP stop being poor
View Quote
you have 40-50k+ laying around to drop on 2017 truck? must be nice
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You sure? OP can answer but I don't think they would be calling them back for $2500.
View Quote

There is no manufacture offering $15000 worth of rebates, the most I have seen is about $7500. I am strictly talking rebates.  Let's for fun say it was $10,000 rebates, still not going to add $5000 in interest.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you signed a contract for the original price, tell them to pound sand. Not your problem they messed up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#37]
dont answer the phone for a month, they will fuck off soon enough.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
After reading all the paperwork again and understanding the rider about loaner only until financing is approved it actually makes less sense to me how they could kill the deal.

They paid off my lease and don't have the car in their  possession, so if I told them to FO how could they even proceed to take the truck back? There is no possible way for them to give me my old car back, or get the money back that they paid off on it. I feel like I have all the power here, but I could be completely wrong.
View Quote

Something to keep in mind, when a business asks you to do something, it is always in their best interest.

When they TELL you to do something, it is always with the leverage of court enforcement.

The fact they haven't mentioned taking you to court tells me they don't have a leg.

Cease all comms with them and get an app that records your phone calls.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Its 2017, that finance manager types the VIN in his computer and it autofills all the paper. There is no confusing a 16 for a 17 etc, no confusing rebates, its all done automatically. If the VIN is correct on your paper work they are lying, call them on their bullshit and get the truth, if they fucked up your negative equity loan your going to eat it, if they fucked up and sold you it too cheap they are going to eat it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Did you sign any loan paperwork before driving off?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Smells like BS.
View Quote

A car dealer being sleazy? who woulda thunk it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There is no manufacture offering $15000 worth of rebates, the most I have seen is about $7500. I am strictly talking rebates.  Let's for fun say it was $10,000 rebates, still not going to add $5000 in interest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GM has some pretty good rebates. Last year's model plus it's a conquest deal, I've seen $14000 at Cadillac. Using the money as a down is going to effect the rate as well. Depends on the OPs deal. I've never tried to buy a rate down to 0% but that can't be cheap.

We would have never called a customer to re sign for $2500.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you signed a contract for the original price, tell them to pound sand. Not your problem they messed up.
View Quote

Read your paperwork carefully and do not let them pressure or intimidate you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe not purely manufacturer discounts, but dealer and manufacturer some come close. My 16 Mustang was $11k off the MSRP and the same dealership has some Explorers and F150s for closer to 13k off.

For example (on a 2016 F150)

http://www.covertford.com/inventory/details/New/2016-Ford-F-150-Austin-TX/105715

MSRP $45,085
Dealer Discount $13,086
Selling Price $31,999
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If you take it back, I'd do an epic burnout and return it with bald rear tires.
View Quote

That'll show'em.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So, here's the thing. I have the long form that shows my payment and interest rate along with the correct vehicle. However, I also have a rider that basically says the car is a loan until financing is in place. I didn't read that and it also wasn't explained as that, so yes that part is my fault. But, they have already registered the car in my name and paid off my old lease and turned it back in to another dealer as an end of lease.
View Quote

Your financing fell through.
Your vehicle is gone.
You signed a contract.
You are on the hook for the higher payment or same payment with different vehicle.
If you choose to break the contract, you are on the hook for the remainder of the lease.
The whole lease thing kind of puts a wrench in this.
I am not sure who has liability here, because both parties are exposed some.

It is not unusual for a "slight" change in the payment as none of the dealer financing actually gets done at the dealership.

$250 difference seems a little high.
The two week processing time is probably right at the prescribed end of the paperwork processing period.

I don't see much recourse here unless you want to go to the expense of involving lawyers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#47]
OP, I would lawyer up.  Find an attorney who specializes in consumer law, particularly dealerships.  Hire the guy to fax and mail a letter to the dealership saying (1) don't contact OP, contact me and (2) explain in writing what the problem is.  Might cost you a couple hundred bucks but it will be worth it.  Tell the attorney you want a max of $XXX spent before he goes further without your approval, so he doesn't run up a $1000 bill.  You'd be surprised how people STFU just from receiving a letter from a lawyer on letterhead.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dealer chiming in here.

You're right, it doesn't pass the sniff test. Sounds like the dealership employees f****d up and are trying to "fix" it before the boss finds out. Next person I would be having a conversation with there would be the owner. I've eaten many expensive mistakes over the years. This isn't how you handle this situation....starting with the bullshit story about the tag to get him back in the door.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#49]
@nisa715

Take a pic of the contract and post them that way "those in the know" can see what really happened.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Your financing fell through.
Your vehicle is gone.
You signed a contract.
You are on the hook for the higher payment or same payment with different vehicle.
If you choose to break the contract, you are on the hook for the remainder of the lease.
The whole lease thing kind of puts a wrench in this.
I am not sure who has liability here, because both parties are exposed some.

It is not unusual for a "slight" change in the payment as none of the dealer financing actually gets done at the dealership.

$250 difference seems a little high.
The two week processing time is probably right at the prescribed end of the paperwork processing period.

I don't see much recourse here unless you want to go to the expense of involving lawyers.
View Quote

We won't roll a vehicle until all contracts are signed and bank confirmation of funds transfer is complete.
Even if it's from GMF. The vehicle does not roll unless it's paid for.
Page / 46
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top