BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am eyeballing a 97 Silverado with 125k on it. And it doesn't look rusted to shit which is good. What are things I should look for when inspecting an old truck for purchase?
View Quote

I live in the rust belt. These trucks rust badly on the cab mounts which makes the cab sink down. Make sure the cab is striaght with the bed.

Check the frame, looking through the front wheel well where the torsion bar attaches, have seen those rust there and also right under the cab. Check rear spring shackles.

Ask the seller not to start it up before getting there, I do this all the time. I like a cold start when I look at a vehicle. You can check for smoke, long crank times, idle issues etc.

Before starting check the engine oil.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:08:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am eyeballing a 97 Silverado with 125k on it. And it doesn't look rusted to shit which is good. What are things I should look for when inspecting an old truck for purchase?
View Quote

Check out the transmission (fluid, shifts, etc), and ask about maintenance history. Look for a cooler.

Listen for the sound of the fuel pump. The noisier it is, the more likely it is to need attention. These GM fuel pumps don't handle low fuel levels well, so hopefully the seller is the type of person that refuels no lower than 1/4 tank.

Look at the sides of the radiator. That plastic gets brittle over time. If it looks new, you're good. If not, look for leaks and expect to replace it in the next couple years or so.

Look for rust on the brake lines. It's probably not a deal killer, but it's something else to budget for or maybe try to use for negotiations.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thing is we are all talking about the engines and the transmissions, which for modern day truck are pretty much long lived (any problems will usually show up before 50k miles).  Its the rest of the truck that falls apart around the drive train after 10 years.
View Quote

Some states don't have winter and road salt.

The trucks just go until they explode.

Up here we are just used to a vehicle rusting to pieces before 200k.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71  192K still runs good.    Hoping to get another 5 years out of it but rust is starting to be a problem .

Of course it could die on the way home tonight and wouldn't owe me a penny.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're in an area where rust isn't an issue, I had a '98 3/4 ton GMC Sierra, had to get rid of it because underneath rotted away.  It had 168,000 miles, top end was rebuilt at 120,000.  Damn thing ran like a top, we miss it!  The new GM trucks are complete SHIT!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#6]
GMT400 or GMT800 both have a pretty damn good track record.

My 05 Escalade (which is just a nicely trimmed out Tahoe/Silverado etc) has 200k on it and runs like a champ. No rust either, rare for a Michigan vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Beware of newer Fords with aluminum heads and high mileage.

A mechanic I know says that when spark plugs eventually have to be replaced, they frequently strip the threads in the head.

He says that most places figure in the cost of removing a head to fix the problem when they quote you a price for replacing the plugs.

And if you do it yourself, you get the pleasure.  Yeah, I know about "Fix-a-thread".

Once you have been down that path, you just replace the plugs every 50,000 miles or so (or get rid of the truck) to avoid the problem in the future.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Rust on the 90s and early 2000s GM truck fuel/brake lines is a major problem.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top