User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Big cheese fan but I was never a fan of Blue.

My mother was, I am not. Always tasted like ants to me, no matter what kind I tried.
View Quote
Yeah, but what kind of ants?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I am amazed that nobody has offered this up yet.....Stilton Blue Cheese Cheesecake.  I had it at a restaurant in Calgary called Notables and it is worth the trip from Houston to get it!  My favorite topping is rhubarb compote but there are several recipes with different choices.  Google it and see which one sounds best to you.  And as it has been said a few times, you can thank me later.    
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah, but what kind of ants?
View Quote

Ants are too sweet to taste like cheese. Ants are natures sweet tarts. At least the big fat black ones are.

If you ever decide to eat a big ant, smash it with your teeth immediately or it may bite your tongue. True story.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Lol in a zip loc bag? 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am amazed that nobody has offered this up yet.....Stilton Blue Cheese Cheesecake.  I had it at a restaurant in Calgary called Notables and it is worth the trip from Houston to get it!  My favorite topping is rhubarb compote but there are several recipes with different choices.  Google it and see which one sounds best to you.  And as it has been said a few times, you can thank me later.    
View Quote

Thats certainly interesting. I mean it doesn't sound good for a cheese cake but I guess it could work.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lol in a zip loc bag? 
View Quote

How else am I going to keep the fridge from smelling like mold?  This shit is strong.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sounds great. I'd add some pears as well.
View Quote

Baby blue like SAGA on sliced pears is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Kettle cooked potato chips spread out on a pizza pan.  Crumble a bunch of blue cheese on top.
Bake in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts.
Remove from the oven and drizzle with balsamic reduction.

So good
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#9]

was inspired by this thread so I gave it a try with some soft blue from trader joes and pears.

can't say I'm a fan, the cheese doesn't go well with the pear. it's overpowering.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I would literally let my family go hungry for a week to have a lb of that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#11]
tried again with crackers today. much better. this stuff is strong as hell.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sold.  Cheesecake and rhubarb...oh wow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
tried again with crackers today. much better. this stuff is strong as hell.
View Quote

Cool. Look at the pic in my op. See all that deep thick blue marbling?  That's what you're looking for. It like picking a steak. The more deep dispersed thick marbling the better. But instead of fat you're looking for mold.

As weird as that seems it's true.  A few pea sized crumbles with one bite should hit you intense flavor noggin with a knockout blow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I love cheese but still struggle to like blue cheese
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I love cheese but still struggle to like blue cheese
View Quote

Picked some up to MAGA a filet from local butcher.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Bleu cheese (Stilton, usually) with a ruby red port is amazing.  

Bleu cheese on it's own, however, is still awesome.  Melt it on a burger or some kettle chips, toss it into a salad (arugala) with balsamic, toasted pine nuts or walnuts, bleu with pears . . .

Mmmmmmmmmm, bleu cheese.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bleu cheese (Stilton, usually) with a ruby red port is amazing.  

Bleu cheese on it's own, however, is still awesome.  Melt it on a burger or some kettle chips, toss it into a salad (arugala) with balsamic, toasted pine nuts or walnuts, bleu with pears . . .

Mmmmmmmmmm, bleu cheese.
View Quote

It's going onto filets.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#18]
How do you know when blue cheese has gone bad
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How do you know when blue cheese has gone bad
View Quote
When you package it and sell it
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#20]
For future reference, Mr. Fancy Eats....it's not "palette"  

pal·ate
'pal?t/Submit
noun
the roof of the mouth, separating the cavities of the nose and the mouth in vertebrates.
synonyms:roof of the mouth, hard/soft palate
"the tea burned her palate"
a person's appreciation of taste and flavor, especially when sophisticated and discriminating.
"a fine range of drink for sophisticated palates"
synonyms:(sense of) taste, appetite, stomach
"menus to suit the tourist palate"
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#21]
The sharper and stronger the flavor the better

I buy Danish blue over Stilton.  Stilton has a very nice crumbly smooth texture but it just doesn't pack enough punch.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/16797053_10154533037128635_1757029331655523110_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=c715f4738b6ecc62c56ec7d3f26258f9&oe=5932DDA4

was inspired by this thread so I gave it a try with some soft blue from trader joes and pears.

can't say I'm a fan, the cheese doesn't go well with the pear. it's overpowering.
View Quote

Try honey.

And because this is the kind of thread that may have an answer: anyone know how to eat limburger? Ive tried on crackers and off, with and without the rind, still tastes like a rotting corpse smells.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Pair the blue with honeycomb. 
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#24]
If it's good, and especially if it's expensive, it ain't blue, it's "bleu".

One of the most sublime meals of my life was a good ribeye steak, accompanied by a good, fresh French bread and butter, with a salad and a good bleu cheese, accompanied by a good Cabernet Sauvignon.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If it's good, and especially if it's expensive, it ain't blue, it's "bleu".

One of the most sublime meals of my life was a good ribeye steak, accompanied by a good, fresh French bread and butter, with a salad and a good bleu cheese, accompanied by a good Cabernet Sauvignon.
View Quote

That's called winning. Or in my neck of the woods Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Give this one a try, creamed onion gratin.  You won't need much blue to have the taste of it throughout.

This is a different one.  Couldn't find the recipe but from memory; 1 stick softened butter, wedge of gorgonzola or blue, rough crushed pine nuts (so some are still whole).  Mix well, spread on crusty bread and broil until starting to brown.  We tried adding fried prosciutto bits in it too.  Very good. 
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Fine, but I ain't eatin no backed taters...
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#29]
If I may...

Buy a cheap sirloin and grill it up. Put it on a pizza with a little of that bleu...yummm
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#30]
valdeon azul from spain is some amazing blue cheese, kind of makes you tongue tingle when you eat it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
valdeon azul from spain is some amazing blue cheese, kind of makes you tongue tingle when you eat it.

http://forevercheese.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/valdeon1-e1308147529301.jpg
View Quote

That's some fine looking moldy cheese. Good eats.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This man knows.
View Quote
how to waste good cheese.  You do that with moderately priced cheese.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Casu marzu is the cheese Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#34]
A strong bleu, a fine Nicaraguan cigar and a dram of Lagavulin.

Valhalla on Midgard
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Lol.  Youre way overthinking this.  Cheese is basically milk solids that are left to rot at room temp for 3 months.  Thats about it.
View Quote
Yes but if the wrong bacteria or molds get in there it goes from tasty delicacy to food poisoning delivery device 
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Try honey.

And because this is the kind of thread that may have an answer: anyone know how to eat limburger? Ive tried on crackers and off, with and without the rind, still tastes like a rotting corpse smells.
View Quote
Never tried Limburger but I would.  I've only met one cheese I didn't like and it was a goat/cow milk hard cheese I had at a wine bar outside the castle in Lisbon. It tasted like I was chewing on a cows hoof, the Europeans in the place tried telling me that the more it tastes like the barnyard the better the cheese.   They can have those.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top