User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kerdi board or Ditra.  It is a waterproof barrier applied to the durock, the tile can be applied over top of that creating a waterproof system.

Also, it looks like he butted the durock up to the top ledge of the tub.  There should be a 1/4 - 1/2" gap to allow for movement between the tub and underlayment.  

The contractor did a shit job and does not know how to lay tile.
View Quote
You mean Kerdi band/membrane, right?', '' );" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Really?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he started from the center you would end up with small cuts on both sides. Looks like he made the right decision 

Really?
I agree.

however the small
pieces are supposed to be on the side you see last. Which in this case I think he did but I'm not sure as I do not know the lay out of the bathroom. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:51:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I would also consider a different pattern or tile around chest height, then resume back to the same pattern. It will then form a decorative ring near eye level. You could ask the new guy to turn the tiles from vertical to horizontal for one row at chest height or you could get a totally different tile altogether
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well we were busy today. I fired they guy, he was here for 4 hours trying to cut a piece of tile for the water valve and he was pissed and said it is because we didn't buy 12x12 and since we had 9x12 tile we had to go buy a bit to make it easier for him to cut the tile. When he said the I said we are done here get your shit and leave. We called the guy who we plan on using as our realtor and he gave us a number to a Italian and he came out and said what the fuck is going on here why is that drywall mud on durock. I said I have no clue it's what he did.  He said take that shit down and I will re-do it and it will look like brickwork, it will be very nice. I didn't argue and said yes. We yanked all the tile off and went and bought more and redguard or whatever it is. and he said it goes on and has to cure for 24 hours and then the tile, wait 24 hours and then grout. So we are now looking at Wednesday. It is getting done right and the best part the guy is only charging 450 to install the tile and waterproof membrane. He also said we should do the floor and I told him the tile is in the garage and he's like we do the floor when the shower is done. I barely understand this guy but he sounds like he knows what he is doing. He is also used by our realtor for all his flooring needs so I trust this guy.

t.l.d.r  I fired the guy and hired a Italian and he is starting tomorrow.
View Quote
Good news!
i did not notice the drywall. I thought it was cement board and assumed you put plastic up before putting the cement or hardy board up. 

When I did mine I used plastic over the studs, hardyboard and then redguard. 

Use the redshit shift on the floor if you have a concrete slab foundation .
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#5]
This time buy better tile that doesn't all have the same exact printed pattern on it
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#6]
If that's a standard 5' tub and the tiles had been run the other direction - 12" horizontal - it would have taken 5 pieces to fit across less grout spacers. That 1 smaller tile would have been pretty much imperceptible since were talking less than 1" total.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Im anal about symmetry so would not work for me, but this is very common on new houses I have seen.

Workmanship and pride in your craft is not valued any longer.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You should theoretically start at the center so the cut piece is the same size on both edges.  

However, there are two little facts of life that challenge this idea.

1.  surfaces are out of square/out of plumb
2.  the distance from edge to edge is such that it would result in two tiny little pieces of tile at both edges.  In this case, you are better off with one larger piece at one edge.

Probably not applicable in this case, but you also can run into issues where there are multiple edges, for instance if you were tiling up and out of the shower area, or in the case of a floor, you have more than four walls.

Not a professional tiler, but I have done tile work in my home and I didn't burn my house down or take a 9mm aspirin in the process.
View Quote

The best time to sway from that plan is on flooring when you are trying to lay out room openings. I prefer there to be full sized tile in front of openings whenever possible, even if it means having cut pieces on the opposite side of the room.

If you have multiple openings though, you have to do some math and figure out the best way to make it look good, way easier to hide small cuts on the edges of a room than near the openings.

In a shower though, you should always shoot for what looks best, and that usually means keeping things even.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but shouldn't the pan be in before the walls get tiled?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Its basic math, tiling is not rocket science and not for the lazy. In a situation where measurements will require two thin strips at the corner all tiles should be cut so as to have the same dimensions. Failing that widest should go in center and equal deductions taken in each vertical row to end with a normal LOOKING tile in corner. If deductions are small you can fool the eye by taking different deductions on each vertical row. Bottom line, all tiles should APPEAR to be same size. Looking at your job and not knowing measurements he should have taken about 3/8ths off each tile in each vertical row.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I would have centered the tiles but honestly it doesn't look THAT bad.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The tub is below the 2x4's. the tub is the only thing that stayed.
View Quote

Whys doesn't the tile go all the way down to the tub?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#13]
New tile guy came in today and did a a coat of thinset over the whole area. the membrane goes on tomorrow he said, after the thinset dries. and then tile on Wednesday and grout on thursday.  He couldn't get the drywall mud off be he said he will guarantee that nothing will shift, move or fall off for at least 10 years. I will say it is a different attitude in the house with this guy, no cursing, breaking shit and blaming us because we bought 9x12 and not 12x12.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Just rip out all the tile and spray bedliner over the concrete board
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]
What is red guard and how long has it been used?

I tiled our bathrooms showers and tub with travertine about 11 years ago.

For the showers I used a rubber liner on the floor and up about 16" on the walls. Then used hardibacker on the walls. Used a mesh tape in a bed of mastic for the joints and mastic over all the screws.
Did I do it wrong?

The tile was put up with mastic and I forget what size notched trowel.

Been going strong for 11 years now and nothing loose or fell off.

Eta. I think it was a V notched trowel, 1/8 or 3/16. ?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What is red guard and how long has it been used?

I tiled our bathrooms showers and tub with travertine about 11 years ago.

For the showers I used a rubber liner on the floor and up about 16" on the walls. Then used hardibacker on the walls. Used a mesh tape in a bed of mastic for the joints and mastic over all the screws.
Did I do it wrong?

The tile was put up with mastic and I forget what size notched trowel.

Been going strong for 11 years now and nothing loose or fell off.

Eta. I think it was a V notched trowel, 1/8 or 3/16. ?
View Quote

I first saw it being used about 14? years ago.  

You should be fine.  You used Hardibacker that does not wick moisture like Durarock can.  Did you let the mastic dry on the joints and screws before putting the tile up?  

For future reference use thin set to attach the tiles to the walls, Especially large heavy tile like travertine.  Once mixed it starts drying, nothing really stops it.  Mastic stops setting up if you cut it off from air, with large tiles its possible to have spots that don't set properly.  

This is just my opinion.  I was a plumber, not a tile guy.  I've tiled a few bathrooms for myself and family.  I'm way to slow at doing tile to ever think about doing it for money.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmm. Quote buttons not working.
That good to know. Yes I let the joints and screw spots dry.
And probably didn't grout for a few days maybe a week.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Im anal about symmetry so would not work for me, but this is very common on new houses I have seen.

Workmanship and pride in your craft is not valued any longer.

View Quote

I've worked in construction, and now in a factory.
You are simply not allowed the time these days to do a decent job.
They rush the shit out of everything.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I typically start on one side of the side wall, and when I cut to size for the corner, I use the remaining piece to start along the back wall.

I also install tile so the joints are offset, like brickwork. I think it looks better.
View Quote
And you do it for a living? I wouldn't want that kind of asymmetrical look in my shower. Hell, you might have a 1" strip on one side of the shower wall and a 3" strip in the other.

And running bond is attractive in some settings, but not in others.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Tile is going up tomorrow and I can't wait. I will post pics of the brickworks style.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry op

Theres a lot of contractors who think they can and shouldnt.  

I own a flooring business and we do lots of tile work.  This guy needs to be kicked right in the nuts.  Our industry is plagued w hack jobs.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is some I did 11 years ago when tiling our new house. Centered on the back wall and front and rear walls. Even on the diagonal , I centered it, and had the corners wrap the wall.

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Another thing to consider is for floor tile, and have it centered on the toilet. Whether the tile or a joint is centered doesn't matter. As long as there is a central focus while sitting and taking a dump.

Nothing more aggravating than an offset tile while looking down taking a dump or whack g off , whatever. .........

I don't know much about tile other than some pointers given to me by my bill that's been doing g it for more than 30 years. And yes I got his advice when I tiled our new house 11 years ago. And he was adamant about the toilet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Well the guy doing the tile is great. everything was done right and he asked about everything. I am demoing the floor and he is going to do it for 300 bucks since he has his stuff here. I have to demo it, I already have the tile I just need grout, Does anyone know if Antique White at lowes is the same as at Home Depot? We are starting the floor but I can hit up lowes on thursday since it isn't need until friday.  Here it is as of today......

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I have to admit the tile looks better like that. But more importantly I hope the proper materials and prep work was used.

I have 2 bathrooms due for updating so this thread is pertinent to my interests.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well the guy doing the tile is great. everything was done right and he asked about everything. I am demoing the floor and he is going to do it for 300 bucks since he has his stuff here. I have to demo it, I already have the tile I just need grout, Does anyone know if Antique White at lowes is the same as at Home Depot? We are starting the floor but I can hit up lowes on thursday since it isn't need until friday.  Here it is as of today......

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/283746/IMG-20170221-163635-151362.JPG
View Quote
Looks good.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#27]
First law of tile setting is you should never have less than half a tile in a field. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/283746/IMG-20170221-163635-151362.JPG
View Quote

Much better!

Is that hole at the valve large enough to receive the trim?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Starting on the back wall is correct. That way the side wall tiles will cover the edge cuts of the back wall. Since you want it to look good while standing outside the shower (this is how buyers view it) this looks the best.

First lay out the tile. Yes, you start with a full tile in the center (or, a full tile on either side of the centerline.. depends how the cut tiles work out.. thus why you lay it out before you start). Then you cut all the tiles for the left side (assuming the wall is not more than 1/4" out) and account for any irregularity in the wall when you set the first tile.

Then you run all your tile up and cut the right side to fit.

Also, waterproof membrane is becoming prevalent over the backerboard. It is not required, but is regularly specified on better quality jobs. You will be fine without it, just thought I'd mention it since you do some tile yourself.
View Quote

This is how I have done my showers.  Start in the middle and lay the "field tiles" first then cut the edge tiles and lay them.  Each side should be of equal size if it works out.

I've never used a membrane over my durock.

Most new costruction doesn't even use it, they use green board.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Hope u used epoxy grout.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hope u used epoxy grout.
View Quote

I bought the non sanded grout that he told me to buy. I demo'd the floor tonight with the wife and we are starting that tomorrow after he grouts it. he is doing the same process, thin set and then waterproofing and then tile and then grout. New toilet and new vanity and fresh paint for the walls this weekend. They say bathrooms and kitchens sell houses. I hope this sells our house.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top