User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Air Traffic Controller

About $150k/yr. Some controllers that work a lot of OT make $220k or so.

No degree needed.
View Quote
Same here, except I work at a small facility. Not quite in the 6 figure salary range. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]
my uncle is pretty high up in a company that writes software for banking/finance security, been doing it for over 15 years. he told me if he were to do it again right now, he would do digital forensics, said that you can get a certificate or two and make six figures pretty easily
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
my uncle is pretty high up in a company that writes software for banking/finance security, been doing it for over 15 years. he told me if he were to do it again right now, he would do digital forensics, said that you can get a certificate or two and make six figures pretty easily
View Quote
Not for .gov but it's fairly close 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#4]
sailing captain half the year, chef the other half of the year.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Back working as a Deputy County Attorney.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Chemical engineer currently working aircraft MRO technology r&d and systems engineering for a start-up.

Previous DOD civil servant. I'm making slightly higher than my previous gs12 grade but waaaaaay less red tape and beauracracy. Turns out I'm more productive and happier spending my working hours engineering stuff vis-a-vis doing recurring force protection CBTs and Commander Calls.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
------>_.  Mechanical engineering degree.

I've influenced military aircraft programs known to ArfCom, whose love/hate ratios are:

30/70
20/80
50/50
90/10
80/20.

Mil a/c efficianotos should be able to determine the programs by these love/hate ratios.  

I make about 130/year.  I've worked ~100 hrs overtime (free) in 26 years...which goes a long way to explain the low salary.  I do the unglamorous and unvalued job of writing mechanical hardware installation specifications; and I control tens-of-thousands of mechanical hardware parts.  I'm a spec weenie.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Had alot of jobs, no real career until I turned 40 and had to grow up.

Was a Emergency Medical Dispatcher in the local Trauma center.  I am anot EMT that also worked in the ER for OT for those 13 yrs.

Got hired by a Public Safety Dept and was a Commo..Officer for 5 yrs. At 40 I was done with shift work and police politics. The Dept paid for school, so I needed 2 yrs to get my Mech.Engineering degree. At 42 got hired for my rest of my life job as an Eng with ITT.

I make in the  $ 80s , work 830 to 5, M-F and LOVE my career. I travel all over the world at times which is cool as well, including some of that being on our Corporate Gulfstream 5.

My family  benefits are crazy, $150 a month , for everything,  with $100 deductible. Kids are covered to age 26.  

We shut down from 12/23 to 1/3 and it is not taken out of your PTO. I get 3vweeks off in addition to that plus 12 holidays and 3 floating.  I generally leave the office on Fridays at 3:00.

Oh and have a Family Office that deals with my Trust. My qtr  distributions cover kids college and fuk load and or shit load of firepower and cool cars.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I do weld development for Boeing on the SLS program.  R&D Friction Stir Weld experiments.

Pay? Well let me just say that they couldn't run me out of there with a shitty mop.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Actual job: Voice Network Engineer (Cisco voice, and all that entails). 

What I tell people: I'm the asshole who makes you press 1 for English. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You said you wouldn't tell
View Quote

I lied.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Telecom Sales Engineer for a nationwide network provider. I try to keep the sales guys from telling customers that we can get them a 100G ethernet P2P connection for $1500.00 a month and they don't need any special equipment on their end to terminate the circuit.

Part sales part network engineer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So....fucking....HOT!

<---Faints dead away.
View Quote

Or, as I thought later in the evening...so fucking gross.
My sense of humor is a tad disgusting at times even to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I dig ditches.
View Quote

James is that you ?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I live off a trust, working is for suckers.
View Quote

I like your attitude.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Francher, both farm and ranch.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm an asshole that  fabricates stuff and fixes most of the other employees stuff.
So I have the right to be the shop asshole!!

Pay is 70% of what I'm worth.

View Quote

Your that guy....
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298946/image-149155.JPG

And no it's not cool, or like being a pirate, or anything like that. If I could do it all over again I would be doing something else but it's all I know and it pays too well to get out of now.
View Quote

I love that view...drawbridge?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I work in Marketing for a large investment brokerage. My team does the focus groups, surveys, etc and then determines appropriate marketing/positioning strategy. I like it a lot. Moved over from more of a financial role last summer.

I have series 7 and 66 licenses and am a CFP, but don't that knowledge as much anymore.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Actual job: Voice Network Engineer (Cisco voice, and all that entails). 

What I tell people: I'm the asshole who makes you press 1 for English. 
View Quote

Can you change my phone so i don't have to dial a 9 to get an outside line,  just me no one else and can you change my caller ID to show up as "The county morgue" on the display?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Can you change my phone so i don't have to dial a 9 to get an outside line,  just me no one else and can you change my caller ID to show up as "The county morgue" on the display?
View Quote
Easy enough, as long as none of your internal extensions start with 1. 

I can make your name look like anything you want internally. For external calls, I'm limited to faking the number itself. The name associated with the number is controlled by the recipient's telco. I would just look up the phone number for the county morgue, and set that on your outbound PSTN calls. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I rape the planet and cause tap water to burst into flames.

Make a fuckload of money.
View Quote

What's a fuckload?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What's a fuckload?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a fuckload?
more than a boatload
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
more than a boatload
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a fuckload?
more than a boatload

is it about as much as a shitload?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Workers Compensation disability since Oct 2015. Commercial refrigeration mechanic and part time aircraft mechanic before that. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#26]
IT - server admin/networking/desktop/progammer
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Technical sales representative 120k or better, you gota go & get it.

I love it, it's not for everybody, it can be very stressful one just need to stay on top of everything & never forget anything.

The freedom/setting your own schedule Is awesome but you can't take advantage of it or it will bit you in the ass.

It take time for your clients to trust you but once you have it take care of them like your life depended on it.

All of this takes place here in the mining industry.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Don't be a cop. The job hates you and eats you from the inside.

Be a fireman if you want to be a public servant. Mandatory nap time is so baller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What i want to do: Firefighter/EMT

What i'm currently doing: Unemployed.

I will sum it up for the ones that want to know: Texas has 77% volunteer fire departments. I'm fully certified with no where to go. I've been taking civil service tests since 2011. My first test with Austin FD was 5,700 applicants and 120  open positions. Missed 1 question and got placeed  at # 1,210. Since then i have taken at least 15 tests ( Got my EMT in 14 and my Fire in 16). For the uniformed the typical process sees about 70-80 applicants with 2-5 openings. I have made it damn close to being hired a few times but idk how much longer i can afford to travel the state in search for the career of my dreams.

Typical reasons for the competition: 24/48 or 48/96 shifts. 9 days a month. Union in most places. Excellent benefits. Getting to play with the siren

What i'm considering: Railroad since they are finally hiring thanks to MAGA. Or Law enforcement.

Don't be a cop. The job hates you and eats you from the inside.

Be a fireman if you want to be a public servant. Mandatory nap time is so baller.

Is being a cop really a bitch?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Aviation, 168k last year for 7 months of work. 
View Quote

Sweet....
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I do very little. 50K base a year.   wish i could find something that paid more and had some actual purpose... 
View Quote

Wishing will get you nowhere, go get it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Own a business
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I dunno.. my neighbor down the street lives in a hell of a house with a hell of a lot of toys and he is a photographer.

He's also really fucking good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was in IT for 18 years, now I take pitchers'...

When I transitioned out of IT into photography last year I was expecting to make about half of my income after nearly two decades in Unix/Linux engineering. I'll gross at least $200k this year, goal for 2018 is $300k.

the hell kind of photography you doing making that kind of coin?!

I dunno.. my neighbor down the street lives in a hell of a house with a hell of a lot of toys and he is a photographer.

He's also really fucking good.

Yep..I know a guy in Reno & he is doing very well, lots of nice thinks & he throws a great party.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Financial Services Operations.

Currently do project management, moving into an actual management role soonish.

I'm not in Sales or iBanking, but they take pretty good care of me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Attorney, 110+ depending on bonuses.  my previous job was better the pay was straight $65 for each hour I billed.  I billed 280 hours one month, it was a good month.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Own a business
View Quote

that would def be great, if i could ever get a good idea
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have thought more than once that if I had my life to do over, I might look into hospital pharmacy, which I think could be interesting and challenging.

But that is just intellectual masturbation.
View Quote

Do you work in retail now?  Horrible place to be and you have my sympathies if you do.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#38]
pilot. there is a lot of bullshit to put up with, but its fun and everyday is different.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Do you work in retail now?  Horrible place to be and you have my sympathies if you do.
View Quote

Fuck no, I wouldn't last long.

Started in banking (7 years) US Army (3 years) back to banking for a year, and we agreed to part ways.

Industrial research lab tech (7 years) then University research lab tech (23+ years) but toward the end I built myself a nice little administrative empire, consisting mostly of me, but with one helper.

Now I just wait for the checks to come in the mail.

Forty years of work for the privilege of not doing a goddam thing I don't want to do.

Just about the last of the generation who could get a "decent" job without a degree.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So....fucking....HOT!

<---Faints dead away.

Refrigerator boxes are his fetish.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My buddy who I told you about in Local 15 had his best year in '16. He made $50k more than the commissioner of my old PD.
View Quote

Lol nice. I broke 300k twice, I'd never work those hours again.. lived at work, raped in taxes.. not worth it
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Nuclear Generator Excitation Technician... Pay is great with all the OT I can work. I have a 2 year electronics degree but all but a VERY VERY few of my peers are non electrical engineers.... Loads of stress and all the OT you can stand....But very rewarding watching generators that have had major excitation issues start running correctly and better than ever before. Luckily I work for a great company that takes pretty dang good care of us excitation geeks. The are also willing to do what ever is needed to keep us safe and send us home in the same shape as we left except a bit more tired.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Captain for major US airline.  $200+ reserve sucks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Construction safety.

It pays decent but I drive everyday to multiple job sites and it gets boring.

I would rather be teaching survival skills.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Construction safety.

It pays decent but I drive everyday to multiple job sites and it gets boring.

I would rather be teaching survival skills.
View Quote

In a way, you are.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Rounding out my second month at my new job in the industry.
Love what I'm doing, can't wait to grow in the company too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Refrigerator boxes are his fetish.
View Quote

Something for everyone I guess...what a world...what a world...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Currently work as a electrician. I wish i had started out of high school so i would be further along. I've been doing it a little over 3 years now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I have been a high speed lift operator for the last 50 years
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Retired professional engineer (EE). Six figures.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top