Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2017 4:21:56 AM EDT
Anyone here used one of these?

I probably should have asked this a couple of days ago.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:07:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone gave me one a while back.  I use it with a G17 under my jacket.  I usually keep the closure open.  The tension is enough to hold it in, and it is a lot faster to draw.

What do you want to know, specifically?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Mostly about the thumb break vs. just it being secure with the tension.

I have a pretty old Galco thumb break holster for my 686 and there is no tension really, just the thumb break to secure it.

eta.. so it's good to hear that this COP holster has a good tension.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:20:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay, tension ain't a problem.  

It's taking work to get this thing stretched / broken in.

A lot of work, good work, I'm doing the work.

It's getting there. A couple more days I think.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#4]
My Galcos are hit and miss.  Sometimes they show up super tight and others fit just fine.  The tight ones loosen up just enough but the perfect ones don't seem to get loose over time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, tension ain't a problem.  

It's taking work to get this thing stretched / broken in.

A lot of work, good work, I'm doing the work.

It's getting there. A couple more days I think.
View Quote

The screw near the trigger guard is for adjusting tension.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Their black holsters always seem to be a lot stiffer to me than their brown versions.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:22:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The screw near the trigger guard is for adjusting tension.
View Quote

Yes, but it's not that, it's just the leather needing to be stretched. Getting there, but not quite yet.

Once I can draw and re-holster with proper effort I'll adjust the tension screw to where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Stick the gun in a ziplock then shove it in the holster over night
That worked for mine
Btw I prefer desanitis holster over galco
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:25:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay, it's taken a week of bending, stretching, re-holstering over and over again x1000.

Putting it on the belt and just wearing it around the house for a bit every day helped a lot. Seems like getting the loops stretched to fit was important with this holster.

I like it. I've always liked Galco leather and this took more work to be useable than the other couple of their holsters I have but I would recommend it if an owb thumb break holster appeals to you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:37:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Their black holsters always seem to be a lot stiffer to me than their brown versions.
View Quote
Really makes you think.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Really makes you think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really makes you think.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#12]
If the inside leather is smooth, you can use armorall on it to increase the "slipperyness."
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If the inside leather is smooth, you can use armorall on it to increase the "slipperyness."
View Quote

It's not smooth on this particular model, bunch of shit that has to be worn off. Then it may be smooth along the lines of the pistol.

Hell, mine is now after a lot of messing with it.

I really do think this is a good holster, just takes breaking in.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Silicone spray lube, that's what Dr. Safariland ordered, haven't tried it on anything else.

I'm pretty sure I have the holster in the picture. Some flimsy $50 Galco piece of shit for a G17/22/3X that's been in the ubiquitous "holster drawer" for the last 10 years or so...

I like my Galco Miami II rig for a full-size Glock; the tiedowns, flashlight, and cuff carrier for it are a bit of a joke though. It doesn't get used, but I like it. Maybe if I could use it with a TLR-1. Safariland OWB 6378(?) works best.

Galco Gunleather isn't all that serious. Their belts are flimsy as shit too, at least the ones I've seen in a store. Maybe they're not 3" thick like my Magpul Tejas belt (mixed feelings there too), but they don't offer the ridgidity of a Wilderness belt. I don't see myself buying a Galco anything in the future, it looks nice though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I like mine for the m&p shield when out on the trails riding atv's.   The retention is great both buttoned and not.   My natural draw tends to break it open as my hand closes around the firearm.

Already mentioned about the screw adjustment.   Inside leather came soft on mine.

I prefer using the top holes as the other seems to sit too high on the waist.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Galco combat master is no retention, but tension, pretty much the same, you're gonna wear this with a cant
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like mine for the m&p shield when out on the trails riding atv's.  
View Quote

I really wouldn't have any faith in that, without a tether, I have an antique USGI tether and whatever the big name in tethers used to be, like a hefty phone cord. Mine's still in the package. The gun is not randonly falling out of a Safariland holster.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:16:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought one like the one pictured recently for my P2000. Really tight at first, but after wearing it for just a few days it's about perfect now. Not as nice a holster as the Texas Gun Leather holster I have for the same firearm, but still a pretty good holster. Wear it in the forward cant slot. 

ETA: Just noticed that the tension screw had backed out all the way. It's about a perfect fit without it so maybe I'll just remove it completely.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:50:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought one like the one pictured recently for my P2000. Really tight at first, but after wearing it for just a few days it's about perfect now. Not as nice a holster as the Texas Gun Leather holster I have for the same firearm, but still a pretty good holster. Wear it in the forward cant slot. 

ETA: Just noticed that the tension screw had backed out all the way. It's about a perfect fit without it so maybe I'll just remove it completely.  
View Quote

It's working well now, wearing it on the belt to break in the loop sections seems to be key. I've found a good adjustment for the screw and I'll keep it there. They say don't use Lock Tite but I'm gonna use it.

Pretty smooth draw and re-holster now. Another week and I think I'll be comfortable using it for edc.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I have one. The black dye stained my pistol. It left black micro splotches on the finish.
I couldn't even remove the splotches with solvent. Its a Glock, so no biggie. But a holster shouldn't be doing that.
Are there any good synthetic holsters out there?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top