BCM
User Panel

Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dam thread is dying.

I just want to see pics of what the spillway looks like when they shut it off.  Wonder if they'll close it off for a few hours for a quick inspection/look.
View Quote

Maybe once the elec generation parts comes back online.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Who has new numbers? It was trending up last tweet I saw.
View Quote

The situation is still fluid.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The big problem is that the original diversion tunnel intakes are at river level and can only be accessed when the lake is dry.  When the dam was completed over half the length of the of the diversion tunnels were plugged upstream of the dam.  The diversion tunnels as they exist now are tied to the powerhouse intakes and will only flow water to the depth of those intakes.

To really be useful as a dam bypass flow route the original design should have maintained the diversion tunnels in usable condition.  But draining the lake to river level was not something probably considered in the dam's original design.  Trying to upgrade the tunnels as they exist to flow 150k is probably not possible without being able to go back to the tunnels configuration during the dam's construction.

Remember, when the powerhouse is operating the diversion tunnels can only flow 15k.  What the dam needs is probably the additional gated spillway suggested earlier, set at a level somewhere between the current spillway's and the Espillway's height.  Those new gates should be capable of flowing at least 100k.

That way when the water rises above the spillway and continues rising the new spillway could open and prevent the water level from reaching the Espillway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it were me planning the main spillway repairs it would probably be something like:

- Refurb diversion tunnels (150k capacity)
- Concrete emergency spillway (not just the slapdash shit they've been doing)
- Wait for dry season

All before working on the main spillway.  The diversion tunnels combined with some actually smart water level management would make doing the main spillway safe and still have an emergency spillway that could be trusted.  

The big problem is that the original diversion tunnel intakes are at river level and can only be accessed when the lake is dry.  When the dam was completed over half the length of the of the diversion tunnels were plugged upstream of the dam.  The diversion tunnels as they exist now are tied to the powerhouse intakes and will only flow water to the depth of those intakes.

To really be useful as a dam bypass flow route the original design should have maintained the diversion tunnels in usable condition.  But draining the lake to river level was not something probably considered in the dam's original design.  Trying to upgrade the tunnels as they exist to flow 150k is probably not possible without being able to go back to the tunnels configuration during the dam's construction.

Remember, when the powerhouse is operating the diversion tunnels can only flow 15k.  What the dam needs is probably the additional gated spillway suggested earlier, set at a level somewhere between the current spillway's and the Espillway's height.  Those new gates should be capable of flowing at least 100k.

That way when the water rises above the spillway and continues rising the new spillway could open and prevent the water level from reaching the Espillway.
The true auxiliary spillway was my idea and everyone I've talked to says its a solid plan. 840 would be the elevation I would shoot for. 100 ft wide x 20ft tall should give half or more of the main spillway flow. That should be low enough.

I sure as hell wouldn't get in the main spillway with 100 foot of head pressure on the gates. I doubt there insurance will let them work in that case either. With the new spillway in place they can take years to plan and repair the main. I don't see anyway to quickly jam that hole full off rock and concrete and get new spillway slabs poured in one dry season. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:17:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:22:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

*snort*
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#6]
The only reason the espillway or auxilary spillway is even remotely necessary in this seasons storms is because someone botched maintenence of the primary spillway.  No botched maintenence and it would never come near the 901 level.

With full normal pond of 848.5 and a 901 level at the weir this storm sequence would never have even come close to being a problem with a functioning primary spillway.  It would not have even had to flow at full capacity.  It still could have been moderated to minimize downstream flooding.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#7]
San Joaquin County just received an evac alert west of Ripon due to a levee break, (that's in the Central Valley and not near the dam).

This draught state is falling apart.

Jerry Brown should be sucking up to the president any second now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Go back to the regular GD threads if you cannot hang with this one.  I have been here for the whole shit-show.  Take the time and search the 200+ pages and find ONE comment from me that has been mean-spirited for the folks in Northern California.  I have said negative things about the DWR and libs in Cali, but not one thing bad about Californians in general.  I certainly do not want anyone to have a flooded home because of this.  That you would suggest I do proves that you are a cretin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The title needs to be updated.

Clickbait bullshit at this point.

If you do not have the time or attention span to hang with this thread then keep on walking, nothing to see.  Otherwise, grab a cool one and clue up before sharing your wisdom.  That is all.

Awwww..... Did somebody calling out a bullshit thread title interrupt your masturbatory fantasy about California getting its just desserts by being struck with a catastrophic disaster and suffering significant loss of life, property and money?

Go back to the regular GD threads if you cannot hang with this one.  I have been here for the whole shit-show.  Take the time and search the 200+ pages and find ONE comment from me that has been mean-spirited for the folks in Northern California.  I have said negative things about the DWR and libs in Cali, but not one thing bad about Californians in general.  I certainly do not want anyone to have a flooded home because of this.  That you would suggest I do proves that you are a cretin.

Is a 5 word reply really triggering you this badly? Maybe it's you who ought to go back to regular GD threads, whatever those are. I have been following this thread since it was in the mid double digits. The time for an alarmist "Oh teh noes, IMMINENT DAM FAILURE, EMERGENCY EVAC!!!" is over. In fact, imminent dam failure was never even a factual statement. But thanks for admitting to speculating bad things about DWR when we really don't know jack shit about what is actually going on and driving the decision processes. And yes, there has been a noticeable amount of schadenfreude in the thread, I'm not the only one who has noticed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is a 5 word reply really triggering you this badly? Maybe it's you who ought to go back to regular GD threads, whatever those are. I have been following this thread since it was in the mid double digits. The time for an alarmist "Oh teh noes, IMMINENT FAILURE, EMERGENCY EVAC" is over. But thanks for admitting to speculating bad things about DWR when we really don't know jack shit about what is actually going on and driving the decision processes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you do not have the time or attention span to hang with this thread then keep on walking, nothing to see.  Otherwise, grab a cool one and clue up before sharing your wisdom.  That is all.

Awwww..... Did somebody calling out a bullshit thread title interrupt your masturbatory fantasy about California getting its just desserts by being struck with a catastrophic disaster and suffering significant loss of life, property and money?

Is a 5 word reply really triggering you this badly? Maybe it's you who ought to go back to regular GD threads, whatever those are. I have been following this thread since it was in the mid double digits. The time for an alarmist "Oh teh noes, IMMINENT FAILURE, EMERGENCY EVAC" is over. But thanks for admitting to speculating bad things about DWR when we really don't know jack shit about what is actually going on and driving the decision processes.

My negative comments regarding DWR were based on observance of historical data for water level and filings they made concerning increasing high water level.  I also made comments regarding the lack of effective maintenance on the main spillway, one does not need to be a mind reader to know DWR failed on that task.  Stop making shit up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
San Joaquin County just received an evac alert west of Ripon due to a levee break, (that's in the Central Valley and not near the dam).
View Quote

Haven't heard the emergency broadcast system used since the 1997 floods.  Heard when this broke about an hour ago.  Its raining HARD right now and not supposed to stop until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#12]

I wonder how many other dams in the state are full to the brim and crumbling from lack of maintenance. That one appears to be in a different watershed area than Oroville.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Reno news talked about another dam that was at a real critical point.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#14]
apparently there's a levee breach on the San Joaquin.  and evacuations orders associated with that.     
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:16:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Just saying
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don Pedro Dam opening it's spillway (which takes the same path as it's emergency spillway, washing out two roads and flooding a town downstream).

CA DWR has successfully managed to eliminate the "Flood Control" reason for the dams existing.   That was why they were built, but since they want more people, agriculture, power, (side effects of flood control), they've been saving every drop of water, so now there's a big rainstorm, flooding the rivers, and since the dams are full, they are also forced to release water, making the river flooding worse.      The opposite function of the reason they were built.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41058/CA-Reservoirs-2-20-2017-150952.png

Source for graphic captured above  Changes day to day, which is why I stuck in image in thread for future reference.
View Quote

The thing about Don Pedro is that last week it was 2 feet from the top and the water manager for dwr for that dam came on TV and said they do not foresee needing to open the spillway. People were pissed and I remarked to my wife I bet they have to open those spillways next week. Well well well look what we have now.  Don Pedro get to this level on purpose when they could have controlled it better last week and now you have flooding.

I honestly think at this point DWR is more harm then good to the people of California and if they don't start fixing the way they run these dams people at some point are going to die. What really worries me is what other band aid type fixes are on other critical structures that now are under tremendous strees due to our current weather.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:41:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The thing about Don Pedro is that last week it was 2 feet from the top and the water manager for dwr for that dam came on TV and said they do not foresee needing to open the spillway. People were pissed and I remarked to my wife I bet they have to open those spillways next week. Well well well look what we have now.  Don Pedro get to this level on purpose when they could have controlled it better last week and now you have flooding.

I honestly think at this point DWR is more harm then good to the people of California and if they don't start fixing the way they run these dams people at some point are going to die. What really worries me is what other band aid type fixes are on other critical structures that now are under tremendous strees due to our current weather.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don Pedro Dam opening it's spillway (which takes the same path as it's emergency spillway, washing out two roads and flooding a town downstream).

CA DWR has successfully managed to eliminate the "Flood Control" reason for the dams existing.   That was why they were built, but since they want more people, agriculture, power, (side effects of flood control), they've been saving every drop of water, so now there's a big rainstorm, flooding the rivers, and since the dams are full, they are also forced to release water, making the river flooding worse.      The opposite function of the reason they were built.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41058/CA-Reservoirs-2-20-2017-150952.png

Source for graphic captured above  Changes day to day, which is why I stuck in image in thread for future reference.

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:48:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like to foresee him defending that decision in court when he gets his ass sued for negligence.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:57:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Dam update.

The power plant is super backed up with water due to all the rubble causing the waterway between the rubble and the power plant.

The water will rise.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been watching Don Pedro closely for the past week or so myself.  I posted earlier about my parent's house.  Don Pedro is owned and ran by TID and MID, local power and irrigation utilizes.  They've been limited by the ACE on the amount of water released into the Tuolume river channel.  That amount was about 10,000 CFS which put the river right below the flood zone of 55 feet.  The releases went up a little to 11,000 CFS this weekend, but too little to late.  I don't think it problem was the releases last week, they were dumping all they could and trying not to flood the areas downriver.  I personally think they may have popped the spillways too soon, but either way, down river was going to get flooded no matter what.  The when is the variable.  This current storm is hitting hard on Northern California.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:11:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:22:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:23:41 AM EDT
[#26]

That's a beautiful area of the country. one of my favorite camping spots.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:36:30 AM EDT
[#27]
so right now they're a hair under 850 at 849.98
Inflow is 93264
Outflow is 60124

They should be fine for a while.  They can increase to 100k if need be so... so long as they don't do anything stupid like not increasing the flow... they should be fine. 

No pictures or videos of today's activities were anywhere I could find... They seem to be in a day's delay mode for releasing stuff.  Wish the news was more on the ball about doing a flyby... 

night all.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:58:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Been snowing hard all day up here at about 34f, turned to rain about 4 hours ago and it didn't lake long for the roads to start flooding, it's downright pouring at 6,200 feet and we are expecting 3-4 inches during this rain event

Streams are approaching the height of about 2 weeks ago
Won't be quite the amount of water running downhill from the last storm but it hit us with full force again

Good thing I have a tractor, my blower can't do shit with this slop
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:01:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
More rain and snow melt are coming to a dam with damaged structures for water control.
Would it not be prudent to lower water levels now as much as possible?
View Quote

No, because the powers at be want to keep this thread rolling and dropping water levels ain't gonna get it done. They'll keep the drama going as long as possible.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:06:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No, because the powers at be want to keep this thread rolling and dropping water levels ain't gonna get it done. They'll keep the drama going as long as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More rain and snow melt are coming to a dam with damaged structures for water control.
Would it not be prudent to lower water levels now as much as possible?

Most of the rivers are well above flood stage and dikes in the central valley are failing, the time for releasing water was several weeks ago.  IMO they are kind of stuck right now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:29:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My negative comments regarding DWR were based on observance of historical data for water level and filings they made concerning increasing high water level.  I also made comments regarding the lack of effective maintenance on the main spillway, one does not need to be a mind reader to know DWR failed on that task.  Stop making shit up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of making shit up, other than water going over the weir at Oroville, current levels are not unprecedented, going back 40 years, during extraordinarily wet winters. You know, like the one that they are experiencing right now.

And water over the weir is only because of the unprecedented failure of the principle spillway. I am probably in the minority among the chicken littles here, but I think it was good idea to see how the emergency spillway performed. Now they know and can plan and prepare accordingly.

Do you have access to all of the maintenance documents, procedures and records? Because absent that sort of information, you pretty much do have to be a mind reader to reach such an absolute conclusion about the subject. Sounds kind of like, I don't know, making shit up. For all we know, they could have done everything right and Murphy still reared his head.

But who has time to wait for a post-incident investigation when the sky is falling, amiright?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:03:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Been snowing hard all day up here at about 34f, turned to rain about 4 hours ago and it didn't lake long for the roads to start flooding, it's downright pouring at 6,200 feet and we are expecting 3-4 inches during this rain event

Streams are approaching the height of about 2 weeks ago
Won't be quite the amount of water running downhill from the last storm but it hit us with full force again

Good thing I have a tractor, my blower can't do shit with this slop
View Quote

Can't make up its mind whether to snow or rain here at 6600'.  
My 26" 9HP Snapper made short work of it though...love to watch it throw snow.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:15:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The problem is they haven't been releasing water since their early rains and heavy snowfall in December.   Heading into a known heavy snowmelt situation, none of those reservoirs should be over 70% full, only two are under that, one that isn't allowed to go past 68% full since it sits on a fault and the Fed Gov cut it off from storage (Folsom).

These things happen...
View Quote

What fault does Folsom sit on?  I've never heard of this, and in fact Folsom is known for very stable soil as best I know.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:15:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The true auxiliary spillway was my idea and everyone I've talked to says its a solid plan. 840 would be the elevation I would shoot for. 100 ft wide x 20ft tall should give half or more of the main spillway flow. That should be low enough.

I sure as hell wouldn't get in the main spillway with 100 foot of head pressure on the gates. I doubt there insurance will let them work in that case either. With the new spillway in place they can take years to plan and repair the main. I don't see anyway to quickly jam that hole full off rock and concrete and get new spillway slabs poured in one dry season. 
View Quote

Probably wouldn't take them longer than building a bridge, they can knock one of those up in a few months.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#37]

I think they believed that the drought was permanent due to global warming........
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Who's going to be our Arfcom reporter down at Don Pedro? We will have the best dam coverage in the country
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#39]
tag as place holder because there are a few smart people in GD.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
tag as place holder because there are a few smart people in GD.
View Quote

Where?

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Weekend rain total for where I live in Vacaville was just under 4.75".
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#42]
0700 PST

Level continues to rise to 851.50'

Inflow 86863 cfs

Outflow 60110 cfs
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
0700 PST

Inflow 86863 cfs

Outflow 60110 cfs
View Quote

I do not recall the water level below which the main spillway cannot release water.  What is it?

It also appears from ProFryan that the power plant has an issue which may preclude releasing water by that route.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I do not recall the water level below which the main spillway cannot release water.  What is it?

It also appears from ProFryan that the power plant has an issue which may preclude releasing water by that route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
0700 PST

Inflow 86863 cfs

Outflow 60110 cfs

I think the spillway inlet is at 813', but I'm not sure what level they can no longer flow water out the spillway.

The power plant is shut down due to debris and water backing up from the damaged spillway.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#45]
'In' before democrat operatives sabotage this thing and cause a disaster so that they can blame Trump for it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#46]
It appears that the high amount of rainfall events happen about every 20 years. In 20 years, how much topsoil and how many plants will take root in the new rip rap and concrete on the espillway apron? Will that be enough to disturb the apron to the extent that an overflow will cause the fill to start pulling up and simply add to the debris flow? If the apron contributes to the debris field, it could block the channel and threaten the base of the dam. Not an engineer, and sure that people a lot smarter than I have figured this out, but just thinking out loud. After all, the people in charge now are the same ones that decided to NOT repair the outlets properly and are the ones that performed, or didn't perform the spillway inspections.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It appears that the high amount of rainfall events happen about every 20 years. In 20 years, how much topsoil and how many plants will take root in the new rip rap and concrete on the espillway apron? Will that be enough to disturb the apron to the extent that an overflow will cause the fill to start pulling up and simply add to the debris flow? If the apron contributes to the debris field, it could block the channel and threaten the base of the dam. Not an engineer, and sure that people a lot smarter than I have figured this out, but just thinking out loud. After all, the people in charge now are the same ones that decided to NOT repair the outlets properly and are the ones that performed, or didn't perform the spillway inspections.
View Quote

Did they happen to sterilize the soil? Seems to me in less time than that any seeds or roots from certain trees that can sprout such as poplars could or will eventually grow under the concrete and break through causing porous spots that can and will be failure point in the future.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Meh...Californians.

This obviously must be some pre-succession, strategically-placed, secret plot aimed at ridding the state of it's Conservative/Republican supporters (rural citizens).
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#49]
current lake level 851.64

They kept outflow at 60k through the night.
Inflow ranged between 85k-90k and is currently 84605    
There's blue sky visible at the dam this morning.  Was the storm supposed to pass that quickly?  I thought we were in for a couple days of this. Or is this just a short break in the weather?

4:45pm last night

8:40am This morning.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top