Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 298
Posted: 2/9/2017 10:55:58 AM EDT
The spillway has broken due to erosion. Incoming water can't be let out fast enough, lake will be 100% full sometime Friday.

The "emergency spillway" is just the lower side of the dam and has NEVER been tested. It could be real bad.

http://www.kcra.com/article/officials-release-water-from-oroville-dam-to-test-damaged-spillway/8694754

Attachment Attached File

This is a video from the base of the spillway the moment it was opened up to 100,000 ft.³ per second.

Pucker!!!

Oroville spillway collapse day 3 video 11 evacuation!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Dayum!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad to see California was busy repairing and expanding water storage infrastructure during the drought when water levels were low.

Didn't have time/money for that. Too busy expending effort on "sky is falling" drought education and enforcement (with a healthy dose of global warming and probably some LGBT outreach).
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Dam it all to hell.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I think we all knew that with the devastating drought brought on by global warming, this was bound to happen.

thanks you fucking fascists for ignoring science.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#5]
It's like nature is trying to flush
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Learn to swim
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
They were letting 50k cfs out of the spillway when they discovered the hole.  There is 130k cfs of water flowing into the lake.

Could get interesting.  I don't think the emergency spillway will be able to handle the flows.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Nature finds a way?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#9]
If it keep on rainin', the levee gonna break
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#10]
DAYUM!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Sooner or later deferred maintenance bites you in the ass.  Easily preventable problem that has long been ignored has know reared its ugly head.  

The university I work for has a deferred maintenance backlog in the tens of millions of dollars.  Since we got a mid year hair cut from the legislature, guess what the first thing cut was?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Fill the fucking hole with concrete.  It wont last forever but could be a temp fix.

Of course the demo later on to repair it correctly will be a MOFO.  

Or lots and lots of tubes of SL1.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#13]
They obviously need more floodgates.

20151226_112955 by secretwheelman, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Learn to swim
View Quote

Or sell any property downstream from the dam before she gives.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't get it. Why don't they just say "fuck the spillway" and fix it when the water levels are lower?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#16]
St. Francis Dam 2.0
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I bet that drought is looking pretty good right about now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Obviously need more LGBT training.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't get it. Why don't they just say "fuck the spillway" and fix it when the water levels are lower?
View Quote

They quoted someone in the article saying that very thing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Huh, some drone video action of that would be cool.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#22]
What concerns me is the possible backlash against innocent Muslims this could create.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol...reading is for faggots.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where do you want to store the incoming water in the meantime?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Erosion will be epic!  Like a snowball effect.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The university I work for has a deferred maintenance backlog in the tens of millions of dollars.  Since we got a mid year hair cut from the legislature, guess what the first thing cut was?
View Quote

And I bet just like ours they still managed to create multiple new "VP of Alumni Outreach and Lobbying" type positions while building yet another new rec center or art center.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sooner or later deferred maintenance bites you in the ass.  Easily preventable problem that has long been ignored has know reared its ugly head.  

View Quote

Hair?

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Misread that.

The guy quoted in the article recommends exactly that, sacrifice the spillway and rebuild it later.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Obviously need more LGBT training.
View Quote

This. Fill the dike with more dykes.

Edit: spelling is hard.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Time to shingle some 1" steel plate and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fill the fucking hole with concrete.  It wont last forever but could be a temp fix.

View Quote

That hole is big enough to eat up traincars of quickrete.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK. I read the article. I agree with this guy.

Jerry Antonetti, a former DWR engineer who has worked on similar spillways, believes the best option is to continue water flows regardless if more damage could occur. He said if water makes it to the emergency spillway, it could make things worse.

“Because it’s gonna be rocks, trees, mud -- liquid concrete -- going down that river,” Antonetti explained.

The emergency spillway is not gated and will automatically allow water to flow from the lake if it reaches capacity -– which is 3.5 million acre-feet with the water level at 901 feet.

“I’d open her up, sacrifice the bottom of that thing," Antonetti said. “It’s gonna go in the river. Clean it out next year and build a new spillway.”

ETA See above. When I said "fuck the spillway" I meant not worrying about further damage.

Quoted:

Where do you want to store the incoming water in the meantime?

Quoted:

Erosion will be epic!  Like a snowball effect.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Hmmm... let's see.... Our choices are to let water flow from the spillway which will fuck it up about halfway down but will manage the water level.

Or

Don't release water from the spillway, let it break over the emergency spillway and pray that the water doesn't cut it in half and flood out everything downstream.

Yep, way too much money spent on environmental education and not enough money on actually taking care of business.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because this would erode the base and abutments of the bridge leading to catastrophic failure of the entire structure (just guessing here but its pretty intuitive.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Glad to see California was busy repairing and expanding water storage infrastructure during the drought when water levels were low.

Didn't have time/money for that. Too busy expending effort on "sky is falling" drought education and enforcement (with a healthy dose of global warming and probably some LGBT outreach).
View Quote

Yep. Scream for years about the drought, meanwhile do nothing to increase capacity as the population doubles. I fucking hope it breaks and floods everywhere. The best part is this shit isn't going to go away. When the snowpack melts it will only get worse. Fuck this place and the rest of the fucking moron citizens/illegals. I will laugh my god damn head off.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's dirt under there. Until it hits bedrock it's just blasting away the dam essentially.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nah, SL-2 so it will set up. I'd hate to be the one that had to mix that many 1.5 gallon pails though!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And I bet just like ours they still managed to create multiple new "VP of Alumni Outreach and Lobbying" type positions while building yet another new rec center or art center.
View Quote

New buildings are a different budget pool.  Same with people.  You can't just mix and match to your heart's content.  While we have our share of excess admin types, overall this place isn't too bad in that regards.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The spillway has broken due to erosion. Incoming water can't be let out fast enough, lake will be 100% full sometime Friday.
View Quote

Day -1.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What concerns me is the possible backlash against innocent Muslims this could create.
View Quote

I'm so full of white privilege i didn't even think of that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because this would erode the base and abutments of the bridge leading to catastrophic failure of the entire structure (just guessing here but its pretty intuitive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like it's a better option than using the emergency spillway.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Well, maybe the incessant whining about drought will ease up a bit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

They spent the money on other things.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Note how the "shelf" rapidly recedes.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#47]
White people driving SUVs did this!  
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, it is California - the "I don't get it" state...

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let's not forget paying that Asshole Holder insane money to fight Trump.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Customer asked what he could do to stop some leaks coming through a below grade concrete wall that was poured like shit, and without any waterstops. Told him sarcastically that he should get some flex seal, and I'd be out the following week to look at it.

He sprayed that shit everywhere.... I arrived to check it out the following week, laughed my ass off, and told him the first thing he had to do was clean all of that Flex Seal off..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top