Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
If you got everyone in California who is on welfare or social security disability to show up and drink a glass of water from the lake, I bet it would dry up.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good video where you can see the scale of the hole. It's enormous.

To be clear, the erosion is going UP the spillway. http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article131579999.html
View Quote

wow  

that is crazy
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully they aren't just sitting on their thumbs watching this happen.

They need to call up a local quarry and have them deliver a few hundred tons of coarse rock and dump it in that hole and down the emergency spillway to reduce erosion.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They might as well have CNN tell everyone it's all going to be fine.
View Quote

Everything will be fine.  The erosion is on the lower end of the spillway.  Yes it will erode more but it won't put the dam at risk.  I agree with the engineer open it up now, let it flow and get the lake down, then later rebuild the spillway and clean out the river.

The only reason people are freaking out is because of the environmentalist claiming it is pollution and erosion making it sound as bad a global warming.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And we're supposed to know where the "biggest dam in the country" is located? I thought the OP meant maybe Grand Coulee or Hoover.
View Quote
I live here and didn't know we had the biggest dam.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully it doesn't take out RCBS

Mailing Address
RCBS
605 Oro Dam Boulevard East
Oroville, CA 95965

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Glad to see California was busy repairing and expanding water storage infrastructure during the drought when water levels were low.

Didn't have time/money for that. Too busy expending effort on "sky is falling" drought education and enforcement (with a healthy dose of global warming and probably some LGBT outreach).
View Quote

Yeah, but just think of the rainbow it's going to make!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hopefully they aren't just sitting on their thumbs watching this happen.

They need to call up a local quarry and have them deliver a few hundred tons of coarse rock and dump it in that hole and down the emergency spillway to reduce erosion.
View Quote

I talked to my good friend yesterday about an unrelated issue and I asked how work was. He said the initial order was 60 trucks delivering 24 hours a day from their hard rock quarry. 2 hours later it was upped to 80 trucks. I have no idea were the rock is going and that was before the whole grew 500% in size. He said something about 7 ton rock hardface.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#12]
We have this happening but the State has not declared the drought over. At the state level there is still a drought and a surcharge on all water bills.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#14]
They're going to open up the spillway again.

Despite Hole In Spillway, Officials Will Release More Water From Oroville Dam If Necessary
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Everything will be fine.  The erosion is on the lower end of the spillway.  Yes it will erode more but it won't put the dam at risk.  I agree with the engineer open it up now, let it flow and get the lake down, then later rebuild the spillway and clean out the river.

The only reason people are freaking out is because of the environmentalist claiming it is pollution and erosion making it sound as bad a global warming.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#16]
They just need to put a ramp above the crater, shouldn't take much to clear the hole.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

To be clear, the erosion is going UP the spillway. http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article131579999.html
View Quote

Wow! At 19 seconds into the second video you can see rocks flying through the air. Time to gtfo.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And that was with the about an inch of rain we got yesterday, maybe less. It is just starting here again and I'm about 75 miles west and slightly south of the dam as the crow flies. We are forecasted to get about 4-5 inches here so that means about 6-8 there. LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I went to sleep last night around midnight, lake was at 862 feet. right now 8 hours later it's at 875 feet.

"emergency spillway" is at 901 feet.

Shit's goin down for real.

And that was with the about an inch of rain we got yesterday, maybe less. It is just starting here again and I'm about 75 miles west and slightly south of the dam as the crow flies. We are forecasted to get about 4-5 inches here so that means about 6-8 there. LOL
So it's been a while since I had to do flow calcs for a living but....isn't 150k CFS like....an entire fucking ass load of water?  8.4 x10^10 GPD kind of ass load?  If that damn hits 100% and goes into uncontrolled discharge....well fuck your spillway...fuck your emergency spillway too...fuck that hillside and pray that the damn it set deep on good bedrock.  Even pretty far away you could have toe erosion issues...no ski jump on the emergency spill way.  The concern I would have about letting the main spillway erode is that it's closer to the dam, that hill side is going to be gone from the hole down to the river bed at least. 
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#19]
The answer is treadmill.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#20]
1 year ago, the reservoir had half the water in it than it currently has.  Should would have been a good time to do some of that deferred maintenance 
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They're going to open up the spillway again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_AklIAon-E
View Quote

What's the worst that could happen?

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
1 year ago, the reservoir had half the water in it than it currently has.  Should would have been a good time to do some of that deferred maintenance 
View Quote
Hell, anytime it was dry would have been a good time to walk it and see if there are any issues to fix BEFORE they become a problem.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So it's been a while since I had to do flow calcs for a living but....isn't 150k CFS like....an entire fucking ass load of water?  8.4 x10^10 GPD kind of ass load?  If that damn hits 100% and goes into uncontrolled discharge....well fuck your spillway...fuck your emergency spillway too...fuck that hillside and pray that the damn it set deep on good bedrock.  Even pretty far away you could have toe erosion issues...no ski jump on the emergency spill way.  The concern I would have about letting the main spillway erode is that it's closer to the dam, that hill side is going to be gone from the hole down to the river bed at least. 
View Quote

To be clear, Once the emergency spillway is flowing, the water will be ABOVE the gates of the real spillway.

So the real spillway is going to erode no matter what.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Surf's up dude's!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Dam, dam it all to hell
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We have this happening but the State has not declared the drought over. At the state level there is still a drought and a surcharge on all water bills.
View Quote
Heard that this AM. They extended it until March, then will review it. That means they aren't going to rescind it. They have everyone believing their bullshit. It's just like there is no energy shortage but the state denying energy expansion.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Just watched this on YouTube last night. Wonder if this is in its future. 

Auburn Upstream Cofferdam Failure, 02/18/1986
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sooner or later deferred maintenance bites you in the ass.  Easily preventable problem that has long been ignored has know reared its ugly head.  

The university I work for has a deferred maintenance backlog in the tens of millions of dollars.  Since we got a mid year hair cut from the legislature, guess what the first thing cut was?
View Quote

The same where I worked.

1. Defer maintenance.

2. Steal from the pension fund.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#30]
That entire state needs to get it's shit together.

They keep ignoring the signs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What concerns me is the possible backlash against innocent Muslims this could create.
View Quote

Don't forget the gays as well
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The old engineer had the correct answer.
This should be interesting to watch.
View Quote
Yeah, and I bet the young engineers working for the state and educated at the California university of engineering and social justice feelz, will come up with a totally different answer that has some shit to do with global warming, environmental protection, Trump is a Hitler, and illegal immigration is good for California, and the outcome will be disastrous.

Why? because that is how California operates. How do I know? I was born and raised and lived there for 32 years and have seen the droughts, wild land fires, rains, floods, canyon homes sliding off their foundations, lake levels rise and fall, droughts, wild land fires, rains, floods, canyon homes sliding off their foundations, lake levels rise and fall, cycle so many times it's almost predictable. 
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
To be clear, Once the emergency spillway is flowing, the water will be ABOVE the gates of the real spillway.

View Quote
So the top of the gates of the main spillway way aren't the same height as the dam itself...ok. I guess there is a logic to that.  So yeah, that concrete spill way is toast.  The question just becomes what is the safest way for it to fail.  I'd clear the hillside of major debris and then wait for it to hit the emergency spill way...spread the flow out as much as possible to lessen the damage to the main spillway.  They're kinda fucked either way
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#34]
What's more is while they perform "inspections" and play at bureaucrat the water level is rising. It's inevitable that they'll have to open the spillway back up, but by waiting they're going to end up with a larger Q running, causing more problems than if they just opened the fucking thing now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So the top of the gates of the main spillway way aren't the same height as the dam itself...ok. I guess there is a logic to that.  So yeah, that concrete spill way is toast.  The question just becomes what is the safest way for it to fail.  I'd clear the hillside of major debris and then wait for it to hit the emergency spill way...spread the flow out as much as possible to lessen the damage to the main spillway.  They're kinda fucked either way
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The main spillway will already be running by the time the Emergency spillway runs the first drop, no matter if it's closed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Tomorrow's video from the Oroville Dam.

On a positive note, apparently a lot of Nazis will be killed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just watched this on YouTube last night. Wonder if this is in its future. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDmwo5nsWfQ
View Quote

That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hopefully it doesn't take out RCBS

Mailing Address
RCBS
605 Oro Dam Boulevard East
Oroville, CA 95965

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18550/image-143387.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Providing sanctuary social services for illegal aliens costs money YO.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The main spillway will already be running by the time the Emergency spillway runs the first drop, no matter if it's closed.
View Quote

Exactly.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tomorrow's video from the Oroville Dam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJCghhCwmI

On a positive note, apparently a lot of Nazis will be killed.
View Quote

I hate Californian Nazis.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
If that were true why is there a secondary spillway? Once your over the top of the gates doesn't outflow kinda equal inflow? 
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that's a fucking hole

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If that were true why is there a secondary spillway? Once your over the top of the gates doesn't outflow kinda equal inflow? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if your outflow is constricted only so much volume can get through x sized space. if the space only allows 100k cfs out due to constrictions a back up would be a good idea to ease some of that pressure off the main dam. Not a water engineer so thats my guess
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Exactly.

View Quote
Then why the debate? If there is no real choice....let'r rip
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not if your outflow is constricted only so much volume can get through x sized space. if the space only allows 100k cfs out due to constrictions a back up would be a good idea to ease some of that pressure off the main dam. Not a water engineer so thats my guess
View Quote
I guess...having a controlled wier essentially that still restrict flow once it's over topped is interesting.  And then I guess you'd want a predictable path established for the excess

So it's either match inflow out the spillway and let it erode or wait for it to over top the spillway and then the excess can use the emergency spillway....yeah..big hole is going to get much bigger
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Then why the debate? If there is no real choice....let'r rip
View Quote

The fun part is a glance at a map shows three smaller dams downstream that could get washed out...
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's like nature is trying to flush
View Quote

LOL
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top