BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 298
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder how much crap from the spillway is going to end up in the diversion pool.
More OT for the bucket operators.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder how much crap from the spillway is going to end up in the diversion pool.
View Quote
I'm curious to see this too.  Seems like since they're spilling at a way lower rate than their previous maximums there shouldn't be too much new erosion, but from the couple of videos Chokey has just posted, looks like that water coming down into the diversion pool is awfully brown and dirty looking.  At a minimum the material they didn't get shoveled out yet will probably get re-distributed across the river channel and will need to be cleared out again, whether or not it builds up enough to raise the pool level and block outflows from the power station is the question for me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm curious to see this too.  Seems like since they're spilling at a way lower rate than their previous maximums there shouldn't be too much new erosion, but from the couple of videos Chokey has just posted, looks like that water coming down into the diversion pool is awfully brown and dirty looking.  At a minimum the material they didn't get shoveled out yet will probably get re-distributed across the river channel and will need to be cleared out again, whether or not it builds up enough to raise the pool level and block outflows from the power station is the question for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would be surprised if it isn't a deliberate step of a process intended to flush out debris into the pool/river to be mechanically removed later on. Wash, rinse and repeat a few times.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how the Home Depot spackle job is holding up?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Having an seizure while filming is not good..

Good God man get a tripod or just don't bother. Was getting sea sick trying to watch that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]
These are from much earlier during the initial event, yes? Didn't think that the spillway was still in a contiguous piece?

ETA: Nevermind, I see now that it is water that has come back up and is going down the lower portion after the drop off from the top.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good God man get a tripod or just don't bother. Was getting sea sick trying to watch that.
View Quote
The lack of focus was even worse.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't watch it, too annoying
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I couldn't watch it, too annoying
View Quote
The guy could have done a worse job, but he would have had to try really hard.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Raw Video: Water Flows Again Down Damaged Oroville Dam Spillway
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#14]
As the water flows you see spots of turbulence. Was that intentional or was that from the homer bucket repair squad?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As the water flows you see spots of turbulence. Was that intentional or was that from the homer bucket repair squad?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I noticed that too, and I sincerely doubt if it is intentional.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would agree but it looks consistent, I assume that will eventually beat the hell out of the remaining spillway.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most certainly intentional. Aerators?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blow that video up to full screen, and you can clearly see 'lumps' on the surface of the spillway.
I'm guessing they are spoilers or turbulence creators, or similar, to disrupt the semi laminar water flow,
to relieve pressure on the rough edge of the spillway there, the same way as those huge 'teeth' on the bottom
of the lower spillway were breaking up the smooth flow of the water before it dropped into the river.

There is a particular name for these things which I cannot recall right now.
But looks VERY intentional.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#19]
wonder if they anchored the slabs to the bedrock, and those are the tops of the rods
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Blow that video up to full screen, and you can clearly see 'lumps' on the surface of the spillway.
I'm guessing they are spoilers or turbulence creators, or similar, to disrupt the semi laminar water flow,
to relieve pressure on the rough edge of the spillway there, the same way as those huge 'teeth' on the bottom
of the lower spillway were breaking up the smooth flow of the water before it dropped into the river.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you guys are right, there is a pattern to it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Water begins flowing again down damaged Lake Oroville spillway
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
THIS

It explains all the drilling that was done on the spillway.  Mounting points for those flow modifiers.  I'm guessing aerated water is not as likely to curl underneath the lip of the spillway, preventing further upstream erosion underneath the spillway was the reason for installing them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Album updated.

Some pics dwr posted from yesterday and the two pics already posted in the thread of todays outflow.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Oroville 17 March Spectacular Re-Opening of Main Spillway
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:29:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-O485hpgU" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-O485hpgU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-O485hpgU" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-O485hpgU

Helicopter footage of gates open and at full flow.   They left equipment on the far side of the emergency spillway just in case, I guess, or they plan on using it again.

Power plant is shut down completely, only flow out is from spillway, where they want to get the level back to 840 ft, then probably repeat what they did with dredging and hope they can make the rest of the spring melt with the 60 ft of storage + power plant running?
View Quote
one of the gates appears to have remained closed.

Album

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:07:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

one of the gates appears to have remained closed.
View Quote
What is leading you to believe that?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:41:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
in the video water is flowing though all but one of the gates...

screen grab.  See second from the right gate has no flow... or much reduced flow compared to all others.

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:03:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good eye.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:05:57 AM EDT
[#30]
That chick reporter wearing the hardhat and vest... LOL
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That hard hat looks like she bought it at a costume shop. 
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before the flow turns on you can see what looks line of pins installed in the spillway.   It looks like they installed mini dragons teeth to slow down the flow before it falls off the edge. of the spillway.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Anyone think they will temporarily close the spill way gates to see how their 'repairs' are holding up?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
We had a good laugh at that one too...

Sometimes perception is most definitely not reality...
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We had a good laugh at that one too...

Sometimes perception is most definitely not reality...
View Quote
"Dynamic Journalism"
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Notice how they were quick to point out that they did follow all procedures and are now evaluating the adequacy of those procedures. Will be interesting to see how the 70 year old engineering holds up, and determine if it was the design or operating and maintenance faults that led to the failures.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Notice how they were quick to point out that they did follow all procedures and are now evaluating the adequacy of those procedures. Will be interesting to see how the 70 year old engineering holds up, and determine if it was the design or operating and maintenance faults that led to the failures.
View Quote
Lack of comprehensive maintenance caused this. The fact that the spillway was operated at 150K for an extended period would indicate the spillway was very well built. Not saying the "it's never going to rain " mentality caused them to delay maintenance but the years preceding should have allowed them to rigorously inspect and do any necessary repairs. Whoever was/is in charge of spillway maintenance should have made sure that every inch of the spillway was looked by a set of eyeballs and not someone on the opposing hillside with a pair of binoculars. 

It's a testament to the original engineers and  builders it has held up as well as it has. I don't think they ever intended for it to last forever with no maintenance.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Double tap. Stupid slow wifi here. 
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

screen grab.  See second from the right gate has no flow... or much reduced flow compared to all others.

http://i.imgur.com/Liin1PG.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good eye. I didn't catch that before.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Good eye.
View Quote
I call them turbulators.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#41]
It looks to me like a couple rows of resin bolts to anchor down the last couple  spillway segments to keep them from pealing away.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Anyone think they will temporarily close the spill way gates to see how their 'repairs' are holding up?
View Quote
Yep. In 4-5 days
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Before the flow turns on you can see what looks line of pins installed in the spillway.   It looks like they installed mini dragons teeth to slow down the flow before it falls off the edge. of the spillway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Juan Browne mentions it in his video posted previously.

Posted by Realwar 18 posts before this one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#44]
The last gate has a concrete truck above it and ladders going down below.  Something is going on there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
They had trouble closing one.

Maybe they got it closed and figure it's best just not to use it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if they have to flow six figure CFS will they be able to hold up?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The last gate has a concrete truck above it and ladders going down below.  Something is going on there.
View Quote
that's a screenshot of a video, the concrete truck is driving over the spillway and the ladder is a staircase that is part of the spillway infrastructure.

eta:
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Guess the pool is staying low enough for them to run the power plant too.

this is the video attached to that tweet.

Oroville Spillway March 17, 2017

https://youtu.be/8RH_b3Nz4wg
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Wasn't one of the gates damaged somehow? Maybe that's why it's not open.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like there isn't any water coming out of the holes in the walls now.
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top