Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2001 7:40:50 AM EDT
How can I tell if the AR I am buying is pre-ban or post ban?  I don't have access to the box.  What is the date that differentiates pre-ban from post ban?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
The date 922(v) took effect was 9-13-94.  You must have had two or more defined assault features on your gun prior to that date to be a pre-ban.  Using the serial number, you might be able to get some info from the manufacturer on whether your gun left the factory prior to that date in a preban config.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Does it feel evil when you hold it?

Do you feel like committing crimes?

if yes, you have a pre-ban.

if no, then its a post-ban.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does it feel evil when you hold it?

Do you feel like committing crimes?

View Quote

Yes

and

No
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
A post ban cannot have more than 2 of the following 5 evil features after 9/13/94:

detachable mag
pistol grip
collapsable stock (is collapsable a word?)
bayo lug
grenade launcher

Post bans generally only have the pistol grip and detachable mag - the most preferred evil features.  

If all parts and evil features were together prior to 9/13/94, gun could be assembled into a pre-ban.  A gun assembled prior to 9/13/94, without 3 or more evil features (like a plain old mini-14), cannot be modified into a preban assault weapon (3 or more evil features) after '94.

Many will say "whos going to know the difference",  which is partly true, but the onus is on you to prove it was not modified after '94.  

It is not worth it to me, jail time is the penalty.

If I got any of this wrong, someone please correct me, and accept my apology.  This is a tricky subject.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Guarddog,
Try this link...........
[url]http://old.ar15.com/legal/preORpost.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I left something out:

threaded barrel to attach a flash suppressor.

So there are 6 evil features to consider.

Another way to put it is a gun with a detachable mag cannot have more than 1 of 5 evil features (tele-stock, threaded barrel, bayo lug, grenade launcher, pisto grip) or it is considered an assault weapon and is banned after '94.  

As stated post bans have the detachable mag and pistol grip.

One last point of interest:  Colt removed the bayo lugs from their AR's in the early 90's prior the th AW ban in order to be more politically correct.  They are still considered prebans.

Hicap
Acworth, GA
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#7]
A post ban cannot have more than 2 of the following 5 evil features after 9/13/94:

detachable mag
pistol grip
collapsable stock (is collapsable a word?)
bayo lug
grenade launcher

Post bans generally only have the pistol grip and detachable mag - the most preferred evil features.

If all parts and evil features were together prior to 9/13/94, gun could be assembled into a pre-ban. A gun assembled prior to 9/13/94, without 3 or more evil features (like a plain old mini-14), cannot be modified into a preban assault weapon (3 or more evil features) after '94.

Many will say "whos going to know the difference", which is partly true, but the onus is on you to prove it was not modified after '94.

It is not worth it to me, jail time is the penalty.

If I got any of this wrong, someone please correct me, and accept my apology. This is a tricky subject.
View Quote

basicly you got it, but let me clarify. The detachable mag is a sort of condition precedent to having an "assault rifle".  If there's no detachable mag, you can stop there; it isn't ever going to be an "assault weapon" no matter how many other assault features you add.  If it has a detachable mag, you have to start counting the 'assault features' - you're allowed one for a post ban, two or more for a preban.

Its not usualy an issue, but I've seen postban AR15 type weapons with a Chinese 120rd drum welded into the mag well that have all the dreaded assault features - telestock, bayo lug, flash hider, etc.  Because the drum is welded in place and the gun cannot accept a detachable mag, it can have 2 or more assault features even though it was constructed after the ban.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#8]
If it cost more than $1,000.00 then it must be a pre-ban. $800.00 to $1,000.00 are Post-Ban
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its not usualy an issue, but I've seen postban AR15 type weapons with a Chinese 120rd drum welded into the mag well that have all the dreaded assault features - telestock, bayo lug, flash hider, etc.  Because the drum is welded in place and the gun cannot accept a detachable mag, it can have 2 or more assault features even though it was constructed after the ban.
View Quote

wow,,,,,,,the posabilities.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top