Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2001 6:53:50 AM EDT
   Cleaned out the corner of my gunroom where the old magazines stack. Discovered that they rerun the same articles (same subject, same author, same content but "rewritten") on about a 15 month schedule. Found essentially identical articles in 3 mags over a 2-3 month period occured regularily. Saw one in 2 mags in the same month. Then I realized that, over 10 years,
I'd read everything they have to say.

I noticed that the more recent mags have fewer pages but higher prices. American Rifleman is really bad in this regard. They're so thin they should be called "product brochures" rather than "magazines." And then there is all the whining defenses of Slink & Weasel, especially in American Handgunner. Talk about sleeping with the enemy (who does pay for LOTS of magazine advertizing).

So I'm letting all my subscriptions lapse. The internet has more accurate information about good/bad features of models (no one pays the posters). Share your friends knowledge, such as on AR15.com, and save a bundle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I let them go a long time ago. I just keep the rifleman.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I agres with the magazines are going downhill.  American Rifleman has been pretty good about getting accurate info.  I just buy the magazines at the news stands because most of the stuff I already know about.  I like Soldier of Fortune(www.sofmag.com), they some to come out with some 1st hand original content.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad used to get Shooting Times when I was a kid. When I noticed that the famed Skeeter Skelton used to recycle entire paragraphs word-for-word I told my dad to let the subscription run out.

Anyway, I was sick and tired of all the puffed up "vs." articles -- 6mm Remington vs. .243 Winchester, .17 Remington vs. .45/70 Government, etc. etc. etc.

I'd rather spend the same money on a few authoritative/classic books like "Small Arms of the World" or "The Rifle in America."
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Just make sure that you keep supporting Soldier Of Fortune.  That mag kicks some serious tail!  Growing up I was always told that that mag was for nazis and wackos... then i picked it up and found out for myself.  Great stories, great editorials, great pictures, and they don't sell out for nobody...unless they print some stupid classified ads and get their arses handed to them in federal court...but, hey, i think they learned their lesson...
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
May I recommend Small Arms Review and Gun Tests?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I let my subscription to Shooting Times run out a few years ago. It really does get old reading the same articles and arguments over and over. I found the same thing with offroad mags I used to read. If I come across a magazine on the rack at the store that piques my interest I'll buy it, but other than the American Rifleman, that's about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I kept all the gun magazines that I bought or subscribed to over the past 15 or so years.  Last year, I tossed them all except for my Survive, Fighting Firearms, and SOF collection (2nd issue to present).  They do indeed recycle articles.  There isn't enough new things going on to support monthly magazines.  If you want repitition, get Shotgun News.  At least it serves a purpose.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Fighting Firearms[/b]

Now that's a fine mag! Is it still published?  Where can I subscribe?
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Guy In Back: Yeah, I stopped getting gun magazines (other than pre-ban, hi-cap'y...) years ago. Some publishers have several different magazines, and they even repeat the same articles in two or more mags, so I just stopped getting them all. I used to spend a lot on magazines... one good one is Combat Handguns. I do still buy SOF for their unbiased reporting and their pro-Second Amendment stance.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Guy In Back: Yeah, I stopped getting gun magazines (other than pre-ban, hi-cap'y...) years ago. Some publishers have several different magazines, and they even repeat the same articles in two or more mags, so I just stopped getting them all. I used to spend a lot on magazines... one good one is Combat Handguns. I do still buy SOF for their unbiased reporting and their pro-Second Amendment stance.

FITTER out (is this board slow tonite or what??)
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
 Roger the support for SOF!  A true original, the Libs don't like anybody ro anything that tells the truth.  American Survival Guide went PC and now is likely going down the drain for much the same reason as most of the gun mags...... there are plenty of stories to be written, but it takes real EFFORT to write original material, magazines don't pay much, ($300 or so per article) and writers are out to make the most amount of money for the least effort, just like the rest of us.  Once you reach a certain level of expertise, you'll have to learn the rest o your own........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top