Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:12:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2
Black Sails | The Best of Black Sails: Blackbeard vs. Flint | STARZ
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, the book says Silver's wife was a woman of color, so I'm going to say she survives.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Flint openly talked of the goal of freeing slaves in an attempt to mount a larger raid on Nassau in front of the slave woman and the sick white woman. Wouldn't the white woman tell the arriving militia about their grand plan? Thus causing the Red Coats to mount a better defense of the city and possibly move out to hunt Flint and Billy's pirate group?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flint openly talked of the goal of freeing slaves in an attempt to mount a larger raid on Nassau in front of the slave woman and the sick white woman. Wouldn't the white woman tell the arriving militia about their grand plan? Thus causing the Red Coats to mount a better defense of the city and possibly move out to hunt Flint and Billy's pirate group?
View Quote

Remember how when Flint was removed form being captain and conned Dufraine into attacking a bad target to win his captaincy back?

Flint is no fool. He will have a plan to assassinate Rogers or something...
I do maintain my theory from earlier about Flint offing the pirate queen so that's the cause of the mass divide between him and Silver.

The main idiot this episode was Billy. He let his hatred of Flint lose him a lot of men.
Now they have red coats chasing them thru the night, no way to link up if they do escape and then they don't even know if they can link up because the top two men are PMS'ing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Remember how when Flint was removed form being captain and conned Dufraine into attacking a bad target to win his captaincy back?

I do maintain my theory from earlier about Flint offing the pirate queen so that's the cause of the mass divide between him and Silver.

The main idiot this episode was Billy. He let his hatred of Flint lose him a lot of men.
Now they have red coats chasing them thru the night, no way to link up if they do escape and then they don't even know if they can link up because the top two men are PMS'ing.
View Quote

Agreed. Flint is my favorite character. See my sig line.

He has a goal and will achieve it by any means necessary. He is always at least one step ahead of everyone around him. I can't wait to see where they go with this. They need to follow this up with a series version of Treasure Island using the same cast!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you think it's hatred of Flint or he is just had enough of Flint trying to run everything. I can't imagine being in Billys place of holding this group od men together on this island and amassing a stronghold only to have Flint come in like he owns the place.

I'm not convinced Billy hates Flint yet.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Loving the new season so far.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure what's up with Rackham's love affair with dead Vane.

Seems a little contrived.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#9]
This is my favorite show on TV right now. Let's hope they don't fuck up the series finale! Based on previous seasons, it's going to be fucking awesome though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what's up with Rackham's love affair with dead Vane.

Seems a little contrived.
View Quote

Vane was his friend. Sort of like Gus & Woodrow.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Those barnacles sure look like fun.  

Fuck.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#12]
This show has gone to shit.  The whole ship surrenders because the captain was captured?  WTF?  You disabled the enemy ship with your canons.  Set sail and run away.  Everyone knew what awaited captured pirates.  I don't know what this show has with trying to make pirates some kind of Jesus figure.  Also, that square battle.  WTF kind of tactics were those?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:33:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree this episode has some major WTF going on.

Why take the ship by hand at all? You had them disabled, so sink them to the bottom of the sea.

Now they just lost a huge morale with the major inaccuracies of Blackbeard's death, they lost Rogers too. Frankly I would have expected Teach to have the type of crew that would fire on the ship with him aboard if it looked as if it was going badly for them.

Glad to see Billy pull his head out of his ass, but he is still responsible for a significant number of his men dying needlessly.

And the idea that the Captain Berrenger would willful disobey Eleanor, knowing she holds sway over Rogers, is foolhardy but believable.

Eleanor made cogent points about how people can only be terrorized so long before they lash out. I'd have had her make for the ship in the harbor rather than the fort, so she could flee to Philadelphia as planned.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I like most of last nights episode but there was no way the pirates would have lost to that smaller ship and have to surrender.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Keelhauling was brutal form of torture/punishment/death.

I thought the entire sequence where they boarded the smaller ship, fought, then surrendered the larger ship was just down right stupid. Unless there is some ulterior motive involved why not just sink the smaller ship and sail away? Major derp with the script/plot/story writing there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I love Hannah News perky breast
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I had 0 desire to see that...so did they continue down that line of bleh or was that the end of it?  

If that was it and just part of the story and not in your face I can get past it let me know since I actually fairly like the show in general
View Quote

It's barely a reference, definitely NOT the focus of the series nor something the Capt. Flint wishes to share with others in the story. When I first watched the episode, I thought it was gratuitous PC inclusiveness but as the story continues, it is actually a key element explaining Flint's actions. Don't worry, you won't catch teh Gay

My only disappointment with the series is not the blending of historical and fictional pirates. There is speculation that Robert Louis Stevenson based Flint, Billy and Silver on veteran pirates he had met in his youth. My problem is that they have re-written the histories of the real pirates to fit the story and not in just subtle ways. Having Jack Rackham as a close friend of Charles Vane or Vane sack the city of Charleston is akin to having the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor! [but that's just me] I find this to be one of the most interesting periods in World history and certainly one of the most influential to the formation of what would become the United States.

Just like Disney turned Nemo form a complex literary character into a fish I fear Black Sails will forever distort the real life history of the golden age of piracy

FUN FACT: The Urca de Lima was a real treasure ship and part of the 1715 plate-fleet that foundered on the East Coast of Florida. I actually own some treasure (not much) salvaged from the wreck-site
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:57:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Keelhauling was brutal form of torture/punishment/death.

I thought the entire sequence where they boarded the smaller ship, fought, then surrendered the larger ship was just down right stupid. Unless there is some ulterior motive involved why not just sink the smaller ship and sail away? Major derp with the script/plot/story writing there.
View Quote

Not necessarily. These pirate mongrels are unconventional and by using that smaller schooner or sloop or whatever it was, the governor was able to lure them into a fight they could not win. Teach's boarding party was small and because of who was among them (Teach and Anne), the governor knew all they had to do was win the fight that boarded his ship. No way Rackham would've gunned that vessel down and lose both him (the governor) and Anne, as well as Teach. Honestly, that's probably what Rackham should've done.

All the governor did was use their unconventional tactics against them. And it worked.

Maybe I don't want to admit that part was poorly-devised because the rest of the episode was fantastic, but that's how I've rationalized it - right or wrong. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:08:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This show has gone to shit.  The whole ship surrenders because the captain was captured?  WTF?  You disabled the enemy ship with your canons.  Set sail and run away.  Everyone knew what awaited captured pirates.  I don't know what this show has with trying to make pirates some kind of Jesus figure.  Also, that square battle.  WTF kind of tactics were those?
View Quote

How about bring your guns to bear and say touch a hair on their heads and we will turn you all into splinters. Let them go and u live. Immediately the conscripts would have murdered the governor, turned them over and sailed away
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Not to mention that is in NO WAY how black beard ended his career. I mean other than him winding up dead. It was all bullshit

ETA and to add to my mini rant. Vikings has as much or more fucked up story line. Things off by hundreds of years... multiple main characters who weren't even alive in the same century type shit
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:12:27 AM EDT
[#21]
The actual account of Blackbeard's death is way more interesting than how this last episode portrayed it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:17:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Keelhauling   Some bitch that was brutal

The smaller ship won becuse the entire hold was full
Of marines vs the small
Vanguard of the pirate ship.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Note to self: I do not wish to be keelhauled. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

They should have fired on the ship until it sunk. That was one of the stupidest parts of this series IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They should have fired on the ship until it sunk. That was one of the stupidest parts of this series IMHO.
View Quote

Yep.

I've always loved this show, but this episode was a little....odd.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too. Though I'm sure there is some asian whore house frequented by sailors that offers a happy fun time version of keelhauling that involves tongues etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Me too. Though I'm sure there is some asian whore house frequented by sailors that offers a happy fun time version of keelhauling that involves tongues etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well when you put it that way, let's go. 
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well when you put it that way, let's go. 
View Quote

I hear that they keelhaul their tongues across the barnacles on the bottom of your hull.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Of marines vs the small
View Quote
The problem was that the tactic should have been anticipated both because of the high value passenger, and because the stupid ship was waiting for them.  All that was missing was Admiral Ackbar.  And it isn't a hard trap to deal with.  You can either shoot the hull full of shot (causing massive splinters that act as shrapnel), or you can drop grenades down the hatches (not those fucking smoke balls they threw.  WTF was that?).  
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The problem was that the tactic should have been anticipated both because of the high value passenger, and because the stupid ship was waiting for them.  All that was missing was Admiral Ackbar.  And it isn't a hard trap to deal with.  You can either shoot the hull full of shot (causing massive splinters that act as shrapnel), or you can drop grenades down the hatches (not those fucking smoke balls they threw.  WTF was that?).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of marines vs the small

Yeah.
There was a whole lot of Derp in this episode.
What was the deal with the smoke? grenades? or were they dud grenades that were supposed to go bang but went click.

Shoulda just shot the shit out of that little sloop and sunk the bitch. Unless they wanted the Governor to make an example out of him.
Then sink it slowly, and pick him up out of the water.

Too much derp.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:19:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Latest episode summed up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:33:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jack Rackham (the TV show Racjham that is) surrendered the ship because Anne was with the boarding party as it was being ambushed, and continuing to fight would have caused her death.

I'm not saying it hasn't deteriorated into an implausible soap opera, but that's why Rackham struck his colors.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not to mention that is in NO WAY how black beard ended his career. I mean other than him winding up dead. It was all bullshit

ETA and to add to my mini rant. Vikings has as much or more fucked up story line. Things off by hundreds of years... multiple main characters who weren't even alive in the same century type shit
View Quote

Hate to break it to you, but you do know that Treasure Island isn't base on actual events, rights?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:58:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Love the show. What are some good books to read about this time period?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:59:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I hope they don't bring Thomas back... that seems almost certain now but I hope not.

I sure don't see the upside in Flint surrendering like that. What if she doesn't keep her word?  You have just given her one of your key players.

And I surely hate Anne getting beat like that... but I'm glad they only showed her winning after the others wore the big guy down.

But if that was the case, why not have one of the first few guys do that rush with the keys to have even more stronger fighters available?

One thing is for sure. Had I been there, we would be drinking and carousing with hookers all day.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Black Sails is a prequel to Treasure Island.
So I guess when the series is over, read Treasure Island.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#38]
The labor farm that Max told Silver about was North of Spanish FL.  In the book Flint was said to have died drunk in Savanah.  GA is North of FL.....so, maybe they're still following the book.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How about bring your guns to bear and say touch a hair on their heads and we will turn you all into splinters. Let them go and u live. Immediately the conscripts would have murdered the governor, turned them over and sailed away
View Quote

target the waterline and sink it.
rescue your guys, tough shit for the Brits.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hate to break it to you, but you do know that Treasure Island isn't base on actual events, rights?
View Quote

Arrrrrr
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was really hoping they'd remake Treasure Island after this series wraps up with the same cast, et al, but that's probably a pipe-dream. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:49:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The labor farm that Max told Silver about was North of Spanish FL.  In the book Flint was said to have died drunk in Savanah.  GA is North of FL.....so, maybe they're still following the book.
View Quote
They haven't deviated from the book yet as far as I know.  They massively deviated from history, but not the book.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:03:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They haven't deviated from the book yet as far as I know.  They massively deviated from history, but not the book.
View Quote

Well, I guess we know why Billy Bones is afraid of Silver in the book!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well, I guess we know why Billy Bones is afraid of Silver in the book!!
View Quote
Disappointing scene, Israel Hands wasn't that tough in real life or in Treasure Island, he couldn't handle a shot to the knee or 2 to the chest while Blackbeard took 5 shots, 20 sword cuts and a stabbing from behind and still fought till he bled out in real life.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I only recently started watching Black Sails. I've been avoiding threads about it until I could get caught up.

Some observations:

I was surprised and repulsed by "the kiss" but not enough to give up on the show. I'm sure I'm not the only one who believed the "big scandal" of his back-story alluded to his affair with Hamilton's wife. The gay plot device is more inferred than displayed and really drives home Flint's fall from grace and expulsion from the Royal Navy and England. At that point in time homosexuality in England was a capital offense punishable by death.

I have really enjoyed Long John Silver's assent from lowly thief to quartermaster of the Walrus. Luke Arnold nails that role and makes the show as far as I'm concerned.

It can be difficult to keep up with all the back-stabbing and intrigue but it makes the show that much more interesting. The characters are well written and seldom deviate from their chosen paths.

All I can say about the women is.... wow.

I hate to see Billy Bones imminent demise but it is inexorable and necessary.

Can't wait for next week... it looks like the Spanish Navy is about to bring the wrath to Nassau.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#46]
So Silver sends Billy to the homestead and lets the slaves tear him apart?

Also, what's Rackham's and Flint's move(s) while under the eye of  Eleanor?

Lots of pieces moving, alliances changing. Bloody pirates.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Let's see where they go this week.

Got my screen used sword and spyglass ready, just need a bottle of grog.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally.

The bitch is dead.

Damn.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I just watched the first three seasons on my free Hulu account. It was pretty good. Lots of killing.lots of boobs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Finally.

The bitch is dead.

Damn.
View Quote

I was happy.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top