Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/22/2017 6:18:30 PM EDT
Should a Federal law be passed that states protestors cannot use anything to cover their faces/heads? You are allowed to assemble, and protest, but nothing states that you can do so in whatever attire you deem fit. I notice more protestors are using clothing items to cover their faces to conceal their identity, thus emboldening them to commit crimes against persons & property. I think that passing such a law would actually cut down on a large portion of the criminal acts.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know that I would specifically support that law.   I would say have an add on charge if someone commits a crime while concealing their identity.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Most big cities already have laws against anything that covers the face I'm pretty sure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Unconstitutional. Right to free speech will cover what your wear. This is my best guess.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been saying this since election night and the Portland riots. Covering your face at a demonstration should be against the law. 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually, many states already have laws preventing covering of faces that were passed during the times of the KKK.  Still in effect in many places.
View Quote

Yep, and would be applicable and enforceable against anyone in a burka too
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
If I am not committing a crime the government should not be able to tell me what I can and cannot wear.  

It's negative 50 in Fairbanks right now.  Maybe I want to cover my face.  If I'm obeying the law it's none of the governments business.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Will never pass constitutionality.

At best you could make it a "rider" crime....aka masking while committing actual crimes.  Similar to body armor legislatures.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I fully support it, but it would probably be unconstitutional because of free speech concerns.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
You can say anything you want to, as long as you adhere to this dress code, apply for a permit beforehand, and confine your speech to this area over ------------------------> here.  Yeah.  In the alleyway, two blocks from the thing you're protesting.  Between the hours of 3 and 4 AM.  But, you've got to keep it down.

And our application process is backed up by 6 months to a year.  And it costs $200.  Plus, the head LEO in your town has to approve it, and he's notoriously against free speech, so good luck.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Unconstitutional. Right to free speech will cover what your wear. This is my best guess.
View Quote

Not necessarily. It's an issue that courts have been split on. While some specific cases have resulted in anti-masking laws being found unconsitutional others' have resulted in their being upheld. right now at least 18 states have laws that explicitly impose anti-masking provisions.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know that I would specifically support that law.   I would say have an add on charge if someone commits a crime while concealing their identity.
View Quote

I would support this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#13]
No....
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#14]
More laws!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actually, many states already have laws preventing covering of faces that were passed during the times of the KKK.  Still in effect in many places.
View Quote

Yup, I think its even a felony in Virginia.
Which is clearly another case of the excessive use of felony level penalties, the law itself has some merit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck it, why not.

I gotta ask for permission to exercise a right, they should have to get a face covering permit.

WIN!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#17]
They're a bunch of cowards. Just like their ISIS roll models
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Isnt this board mostly conservatives?
Isnt a hallmark of a conservative wanting less government, hence fewer laws?

NO MORE LAWS!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If I am not committing a crime the government should not be able to tell me what I can and cannot wear.  

It's negative 50 in Fairbanks right now.  Maybe I want to cover my face.  If I'm obeying the law it's none of the governments business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Many of the jursdictions with anti-masking provisions either limit their applicability to certain situations (like Washington DC does)

§ 22-3312.03. Wearing hoods or masks.
(a) No person or persons over 16 years of age, while wearing any mask, hood, or device whereby any portion of the face is hidden, concealed, or covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer, shall:

(1) Enter upon, be, or appear upon any lane, walk, alley, street, road highway, or other public way in the District of Columbia;

(2) Enter upon, be, or appear upon or within the public property of the District of Columbia; or

(3) Hold any manner of meeting or demonstration.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section apply only if the person was wearing the hood, mask, or other device:

(1) With the intent to deprive any person or class of persons of equal protection of the law or of equal privileges and immunities under the law, or for the purpose of preventing or hindering the constituted authorities of the United States or the District of Columbia from giving or securing for all persons within the District of Columbia equal protection of the law;

(2) With the intent, by force or threat of force, to injure, intimidate, or interfere with any person because of his or her exercise of any right secured by federal or District of Columbia laws, or to intimidate any person or any class of persons from exercising any right secured by federal or District of Columbia laws;

(3) With the intent to intimidate, threaten, abuse, or harass any other person;

(4) With the intent to cause another person to fear for his or her personal safety, or, where it is probable that reasonable persons will be put in fear for their personal safety by the defendant's actions, with reckless disregard for that probability; or

(5) While engaged in conduct prohibited by civil or criminal law, with the intent of avoiding identification.

or have exemptions like Georgia does

16-11-38.
(a) A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he wears a mask, hood, or device by which any portion of the face is so hidden, concealed, or covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer and is upon any public way or public property or upon the private property of another without the written permission of the owner or occupier of the property to do so.

(b) This Code section shall not apply to: (1) A person wearing a traditional holiday costume on the occasion of the holiday; (2) A person lawfully engaged in trade and employment or in a sporting activity where a mask is worn for the purpose of ensuring the physical safety of the wearer, or because of the nature of the occupation, trade, or profession, or sporting activity; (3) A person using a mask in a theatrical production including use in Mardi gras celebrations and masquerade balls; or (4) A person wearing a gas mask prescribed in emergency management drills and exercises or emergencies.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep, and would be applicable and enforceable against anyone in a burka too
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't give a fuck if you wanna cover your pussy-ass face (You PUSSY fuck).

If you want to wear a stupid T-Shirt, stand on the corner with a bull horn and complain about shit...?....I'm cool with that.

IF, you want to wear a stupid T-Shirt, block traffic, throw rocks/bricks at Police Officers/Assault people trying to go to work
or get home/Destroy or burn businesses....?  You deserve everything that's going to happen to you.

It's a different world fucktards
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#22]
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (Washington, D.C.)
§ 22-3312.03. Wearing hoods or masks.
(a) No person or persons over 16 years of age, while wearing any mask, hood, or device whereby any portion of the face is hidden, concealed, or covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer, shall:

(1) Enter upon, be, or appear upon any lane, walk, alley, street, road highway, or other public way in the District of Columbia;

(2) Enter upon, be, or appear upon or within the public property of the District of Columbia; or

(3) Hold any manner of meeting or demonstration.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section apply only if the person was wearing the hood, mask, or other device:

(1) With the intent to deprive any person or class of persons of equal protection of the law or of equal privileges and immunities under the law, or for the purpose of preventing or hindering the constituted authorities of the United States or the District of Columbia from giving or securing for all persons within the District of Columbia equal protection of the law;

(2) With the intent, by force or threat of force, to injure, intimidate, or interfere with any person because of his or her exercise of any right secured by federal or District of Columbia laws, or to intimidate any person or any class of persons from exercising any right secured by federal or District of Columbia laws;

(3) With the intent to intimidate, threaten, abuse, or harass any other person;

(4) With the intent to cause another person to fear for his or her personal safety, or, where it is probable that reasonable persons will be put in fear for their personal safety by the defendant's actions, with reckless disregard for that probability; or

(5) While engaged in conduct prohibited by civil or criminal law, with the intent of avoiding identification.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Stupid question.

Damn nanny-staters are everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Possessing a scarf over your face should be no more illegal than possessing a gun -- until you commit a crime with either.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Should a Federal law be passed that states protestors cannot use anything to cover their faces/heads? You are allowed to assemble, and protest, but nothing states that you can do so in whatever attire you deem fit. I notice more protestors are using clothing items to cover their faces to conceal their identity, thus emboldening them to commit crimes against persons & property. I think that passing such a law would actually cut down on a large portion of the criminal acts.
View Quote

Yes however I doubt it would be constitutional because of the whole freedom of expression thing (I get to put on a mask in public and smash things) etc.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#26]
During the dark days of FBHO I saw a future where my face might be one of those covered...l suppose if it came to that, any such law would be of little significance anyway.

I think a law like that introduced would backfire and give more fuel to the fascist claims. I say hit em hard with charges that stick on existing laws broken while in the act of rioting or 'protesting' and punish the sponsors who bus them in.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Most states have pretty strict laws about actions taken during riots.
And a lot of states have add on charges for being masked during the commission of a crime.

No need for any new laws.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Isnt this board mostly conservatives?
Isnt a hallmark of a conservative wanting less government, hence fewer laws?

NO MORE LAWS!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote
LOL.  Conservatives love big .gov. The love it just as much as Progressives.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#29]
No.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Why, there oughta be a law. Said no conservative ever. Seriously, you want yet another law on the books?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#33]
It already is illegal in Virginia.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Should a Federal law be passed...
View Quote

No. Fuck off with that shit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#35]
God, no.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#36]
There are plenty of other laws that could be passed or enforced long before we worry about their covered faces.

Blocking traffic and impeding other pedestrians violates other people's rights as it is.  How about recognizing those acts as felonies first?

The only bite those "protestors" have is their ability to bully, intimidate or otherwise impede everyone else and get away with it.  If the law dealt with that and they were forced to protest peacefully and within their rights they would be nothing more than a hilarious side show.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#37]
If cops can hide their identity, I guess citizens should be able to too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why, there oughta be a law. Said no conservative ever. Seriously, you want yet another law on the books?
View Quote

Most here aren't conservative in any way shape or form, they just think owning a gun makes them one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#39]
We need to quit treating these people as protesters. Blocking streets, sidewalks, and businesses isn't protesting and neither is property damage.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Class 6 felony in VA, which is a bottom rung felony. Same as reckless endangerment and violation of a court order. 1-5 years, up to a $2.5k fine.

Clowns, kids, doctors, actors, mascarade attendees and other similar exclusions are made.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#41]
No.  Anonymity is an essential component of free speech.  We should no more unmask a protestor than we should require real-name policies on the internet, nor disallow any other anonymous types of speech.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

True!  I found out the hard way when I went to school in South Carolina.  Fraternity high jinx and all had several pledges (including me) in a car with pillow cases over our heads when we were stopped my the local authorities...once they figured out what the deal was (and that most of us were from out of state), we were informed of the statute and let go with a stern warning to "never do that again".
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No. Fuck off with that shit.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I believe it is already illegal to wear a mask on the street in DC.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Most big cities already have laws against anything that covers the face I'm pretty sure.
View Quote
Quite a few places, and most of them trace back to anti-Klan legislation.

ETA: I see that's been addressed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#47]
No new laws!!!

And facial recognition software doesn't care if you have a mask on or not....just a little glimpse of features and they know.......NSA
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#50]
No........with facial recognition and a tyrannical/vengeful gov't it's a recipe for abuse.

If you are not doing anything other than peacefully protesting...it shouldn't be a problem.

But if you are smashing and burning everything then there should be felony charges for that
......mask or no mask.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top