Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2017 11:35:25 AM EDT
Any of you guys ever do time because you refused to diaper your horse..?

Horse diapers are against my religion!

No hard feelings about the Amish but this seems a bit squirrely....

Two Amish men in Auburn, Ky., filed a lawsuit last month saying a city ordinance requiring horses to wear equine diapers—bags designed to catch manure—violated the ability of Amish residents to exercise their religion.
View Quote

Last year, after a jury found Dan Mast guilty of violating the ordinance, he refused to pay the $193 fine and spent 10 days in jail. Last month, Mr. Mast, 27 years old, and another Amish plaintiff filed a lawsuit against the city of Auburn, its mayor and police chief in which they argue the law is intended to prosecute the Amish based on their religious beliefs.
View Quote

Seems that a couple years ago the church elders decided that diapers are a no-go....pretty convenient if you ask me.

The plaintiffs are members of the Old Order Swartzentruber Amish religion, one of the most conservative Amish orders. They believe in shunning things that are “of the world,” the lawsuit said, including technology that some Amish groups accept, like fax machines, LED lights and gas-powered refrigerators. Before the ordinance passed in 2014, the community elders decided the equine diapers wouldn't be permitted by the Swartzentruber church.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Wonder if they're against running along behind and picking up the road apples too?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wonder if they're against running along behind and picking up the road apples too?
View Quote

Is not anyone that has time for that, English.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell with Amish. They are such a burden on us 'english'. Piles of shit everywhere, steel wheels wearing out blacktop, and for the most part poach the shit out of wildlife and never buy lic. I finally had to write them off after favor after favor. I see them now as little children of the community and us English as the parents. The one thing you do not do is ask your neighbor for something unless its absolutely necessary because they will not say no. You drop everything to help, it's just the way it is, and it can be taken advantage of.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Shady as fuck.  They embrace modern shit when it is convenient. This is an out of pocket cost that adds work to their routine so they pull the religion card.

They get to use the roads and let their horses shit all over.  You and I toss a snot rag out the window and it's $300 for littering. They live so piously yet buy million dollar farms and proceed to kill every living animal on it and around it with impunity.  

The Amish are shady assholes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Do they diaper their kids, or just let them shit in mommas lap?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, they are.  Or, at least the ones in Auburn are.  In my town, (same county), those who travel by horse are doing a pretty good job of cleaning up.

Years ago, it was a different story, but it has not been a problem lately.

I know, first world problems.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
One other complaint, and is my biggest. Trash burning. Lovely plastic aroma that settles at night. They refuse to pay local pick up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, they are.  Or, at least the ones in Auburn are.  In my town, (same county), those who travel by horse are doing a pretty good job of cleaning up.

Years ago, it was a different story, but it has not been a problem lately.

I know, first world problems.
View Quote

Good you all pushed it. Nothing like crawling under the wife's car in summer to change oil after she ran through some Amish exhaust, of coarse her mood towards me at the time might effect the amount of exhaust she accidentally hits.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with the Amish on this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
When you use your religion to avoid being a decent human being

Noone wants to smell that shit, or step in it, drive their cars/motorcycles through it

Quoted:
Any of you guys ever do time because you refused to diaper your horse..?

Horse diapers are against my religion!

No hard feelings about the Amish but this seems a bit squirrely....

Two Amish men in Auburn, Ky., filed a lawsuit last month saying a city ordinance requiring horses to wear equine diapers—bags designed to catch manure—violated the ability of Amish residents to exercise their religion.
View Quote

Last year, after a jury found Dan Mast guilty of violating the ordinance, he refused to pay the $193 fine and spent 10 days in jail. Last month, Mr. Mast, 27 years old, and another Amish plaintiff filed a lawsuit against the city of Auburn, its mayor and police chief in which they argue the law is intended to prosecute the Amish based on their religious beliefs.
View Quote

Seems that a couple years ago the church elders decided that diapers are a no-go....pretty convenient if you ask me.

The plaintiffs are members of the Old Order Swartzentruber Amish religion, one of the most conservative Amish orders. They believe in shunning things that are “of the world,” the lawsuit said, including technology that some Amish groups accept, like fax machines, LED lights and gas-powered refrigerators. Before the ordinance passed in 2014, the community elders decided the equine diapers wouldn't be permitted by the Swartzentruber church.
View Quote
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Leather bags were available when Christ was alive. Now quit being assholes and keep your horse shit off the city streets.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Leather bags were available when Christ was alive. Now quit being assholes and keep your horse shit off the city streets.
View Quote

That raises an interesting question....exactly when is the cut line for use of technology for the Amish? I mean they use steel, iron, woven cloth, etc...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That raises an interesting question....exactly when is the cut line for use of technology for the Amish? I mean they use steel, iron, woven cloth, etc...
View Quote

Who knows?  There is no rhyme or reason to their decisions.  And since there are several groups, you will see some Amish using things that other groups don't.

I do give them credit for one thing.  They have managed to avoid Social Security.  I wish I could do that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who knows?  There is no rhyme or reason to their decisions.  And since there are several groups, you will see some Amish using things that other groups don't.

I do give them credit for one thing.  They have managed to avoid Social Security.  I wish I could do that.
View Quote

There isn't a line. The farm machinery they use is from the late 19th and early 20th century. It just isn't motorized.

The governing line is suppose to be how it would effect thier "simple" way of life, with exceptions for being competitive in business. I.e. One could have a phone in the furniture shop to take orders but not a phone at home to make social calls. Apparently there is a 3rd criteria screwing with laws they dislike.

There was a big to do here in Kentucky over the orange reflective slow moving vechicle triangle which the Amish declared unauthorized due to some nebulous link between triangles and the holy trinity. IIRC the Amish won that one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#15]
They have the right to practice religion where they live, diaper or no doesn't matter.

But in public spaces, they better diaper those fuckin horses or get a fine. They don't have a right to take a shit in public spaces and not clean it up. 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#16]
all Amish are different. The local community(church) votes on all changes and ultimately could incorporate the use of cell phones. In my area they recently voted to be able to have a small phone building on their property with electric drop for deep freeze if it is 400' from house. They have always been able to have that as long as it was off their property, meaning on the their neighbors.. we have 2 different Amish here. Covered buggy and uncovered buggy. Uncovered being more strict. Interesting fact is they have to speak English to each other because the dialect of Pennsylvania Dutch they speak is too different. For the most part they are not evil or spiteful people, and to get mad and yell at them will not get an equal response. They are passive but refuse to conform to simple English rules like shit collection, hunting license, and trash pick up. You could have way worse neighbors, but the annoyance level is up there. IMO the buggies should not be allowed on highways with double yellow lines. It is so easy to come up on a buggy over a hill and around a corner at 55mph and just lock brakes up. Buggies filled with women and children. The state here feels Amish are cute and eccentric.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Why a diaper ordinance anyway?  Just treat the horses like any other pet.  You guys have a law requiring people to pick up their dog shit, right?  Just expand that law to include any animal's waste in any public place or avenue.  All they would need is a shovel and bucket, which I'm sure is inline with their simple life.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Va is a pretty progressive state anymore.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#19]
The Amish are like scientologists who make butter.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Human's.........we can be the most magnificent creatures on the planet.......we can also be the biggest ass holes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#21]
 All they would need is a shovel and bucket, which I'm sure is inline with their simple life.  
View Quote

This they refuse to do.  At least, those around Auburn Ky refuse to do.  Those in my town are doing some thing, though I am not exactly sure what.

I work through the day, and by the time I get home, they are usually home also.  (I woudn't want to drive a buggy after dark either!).

They mostly go to the bank, the grocery store, and the post office.  The grocery store is across the store from the bank, and that is the area where I live.

The bank provided an area off to the side where they could tie their horses.  That helped a lot.

As a libertarian, I respect the right of people to live the way they want to.  However, I still think people should clean up after their animals.

While I have no problems with the Amish, I am glad that they had not moved into my area in the 1970s, when I was a teen ager.

Yes, we drove too fast.  Popping up over those hills on 106 East would have definitely been dangerous with buggies on the road.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You pick up the horse shit then
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Amish-Lowes by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Find a job field that doesn't into Social Security.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Being originally from Ohio people's views of the Amish ranged from, "Oh how cute!" to "Fuckin Amish!"  I can see both side of the coin, some of the Amish I've met were very nice people but others were Amish in name only.  They were some of the most vile law breaking scumbags who hid behind their "religion" to serve their own purposes.  

The old women were nasty old birds too.  In the early 90's I was in a town one time that catered to the local Amish.  Two Amish girls about my age came up to me and started talking to me.  They were asking about the shirt I was wearing because they liked the design.  Out of nowhere this old broad jumps out and swung her arms at me trying to get me away from the girls.  I wanted to knock this old bitch out but I knew I'd be all over the news for cold cocking an elderly Amish woman.  But christ did she make a scene.  After that I never bothered with any Amish even if they happened to initiate contact.  

I hated driving in areas where there were alot of Amish because of those damn buggies and wagons always were in the worst places and at the worst times on the roads just like cyclists.  Even when you would be considerate and give them room they would still mean mug you and act like they were being put out.  And the horseshit everywhere is one hell of an annoyance.  

Overall the Amish can be like anyone else, it's just they're more visible due to their oddities.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#26]
If they promise to stop and pick up the horse shit and put it in a giant dog horse poop bag/bucket, I have no problem with no horse diaper.

But if they are not gonna pick it up, let them stare at the poop sack as they make their choice to use horses for transportation.

They dont like it?    Fine maybe a couple people can drive through  the amish country with insanely loud harleys or cars with super loud music.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than  being Amish, or being a pastor, I know of no such job fields.

Neither approach appeals to me.

I would not have anywhere near the problems that I do with Social Security if it were optional.

It is not optional, so I do.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I fail to see how a leather sack is modern technology....

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#29]
If your dog shits in public you have to stop & pick it up.
Horse owners ride down the street & just leave 50 pounds of shit on the road instead of stopping to pick it up.
Let them all wear diapers or pay the fine...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If your dog shits in public you have to stop & pick it up.
Horse owners ride down the street & just leave 50 pounds of shit on the road instead of stopping to pick it up.
Let them all wear diapers or pay the fine...
View Quote
Bingo.  I have to clean up after my dog.  They have to clean up after their horses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#31]
  They dont like it? Fine maybe a couple people can drive through the amish country with insanely loud harleys or cars with super loud music.

View Quote

Many, many more than a couple of people do exactly this on a daily basis.

The horse manure is a mild annoyance, the loud pipes and loud music is more of an extreme annoyance.

I wish that the people who complained about my car radio being too loud in the early 1970s could have survived until today.

I do believe that they would have apologized to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
If this is really the biggest problem in someone's life, I'd trade places with them immediately

Some of us actually have real fucking problems.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like just making excuses.

If they are that against using a horse diaper for religious reasons fine.

I don't have a problem with their lack of use, as long as they clean it up and don't leave it on the street.

I don't see how cleaning it up would infringe on any religious beliefs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Strange, I don't see them shunning use of our modern roads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top