Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a basic course in how we learn a language.

A child's brain is designed to create the language in its environment by age 6. After that the brain switches to other tasks that it needs to focus on. The brains of young children can learn more than one language easily during this time.

Older brains no longer have their innate linguistic knack for acquiring syntax. They can learn words but will have difficulty expressing themselves in meaningful sentences. They don't like being disfluent in English but the truth is unless they have an uncanny affinity for languages they will never master English like a native speaker.

Age is the great discriminator when it comes to learning a language. Let's take a sample Mexican family who has been here 7 years. It's composed of parents age 37 with four kids.  The parents will never master English but may develop basic conversational skills accompanied with a significant accent. The 18 year old son may learn more English than the parents, but will have difficulty with English. The 10 year old girl will have better English skills than the others. The two and  five year olds will probably be balanced bilinguals (equal proficiency in both) and they will not have accents.

The parents value English fluency but they have a tough time with it. If there were an easy way to develop it, they would take it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A child's brain is designed to create the language in its environment by age 6. After that the brain switches to other tasks that it needs to focus on. The brains of young children can learn more than one language easily during this time.

Older brains no longer have their innate linguistic knack for acquiring syntax. They can learn words but will have difficulty expressing themselves in meaningful sentences. They don't like being disfluent in English but the truth is unless they have an uncanny affinity for languages they will never master English like a native speaker.

Age is the great discriminator when it comes to learning a language. Let's take a sample Mexican family who has been here 7 years. It's composed of parents age 37 with four kids.  The parents will never master English but may develop basic conversational skills accompanied with a significant accent. The 18 year old son may learn more English than the parents, but will have difficulty with English. The 10 year old girl will have better English skills than the others. The two and  five year olds will probably be balanced bilinguals (equal proficiency in both) and they will not have accents.

The parents value English fluency but they have a tough time with it. If there were an easy way to develop it, they would take it.
View Quote
You just described my family. Replace Mexico with Cuba.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
English is the common language here, but I know some damn good, hard-working, TAX PAYING, TRUMP-VOTING CONSERVATIVES quin no hablo el Ingles.  

Most everyone on my wife's side of the family are dual citizen, here and Mexico, and they are all a bunch of gun-totin', American flag havin', hard-workin' people.   They just don't speak much English.
View Quote

in know hard working people right of the boat from italy who don't speak much english, why no italian help?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Because we have no territories that were Italian. We were close and almost annexed Sicily after WWII. 

We have actual sovereign US Territory that was.predominantly Spanish Speakers. New Mexico with the Old Empire Settlers, Puerto Rico, Parts of Florida, Texas, California, and Arizona, etc.....

Spanish is part of the very fabric of the US.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My biggest beef with it is that many don't even bother trying.
I have had lots of conversations with people from central and south America who have limited English language skills. I have zero problem helping them out with words and figuring out a way to communicate.
Why? Because they are at least trying.
I grew up with a lot of kids/grandkids of immigrants. Mostly from places like Italy, Germany and Greece.
Grandma who came here when she was 50 gets a pass on limited language skills.
Those who came here when a bit younger, I totally get not being fluent and/or having a heavy accent.

But kids that were born here or came as small children? No excuse. It is the system that has failed/coddled them.
It is a combination of lazy and a smug, arrogant sense of entitlement.
"This is California, learn fucking Spanish"... I have heard that more then once.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the same way with all immigrant families no matter the language. Put my family in Cuba and we'll be exactly the same. You can't change developmental biology.

All languages are complicated and difficult to learn unless you are under age 6.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:25:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Press 1 for English muthafucka do you speak it
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top