Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:32:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Local news interviewed a lady last week who said she has been in the US for almost forty years, the kicker was the reporter had to speak to her in Spanish as the women could not speak the English. Assimilating my ass!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As it should be...

"We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an

American and assimilates himself to us he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birth-place or origin.

But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn’t doing his part as an American.

There can be no divided allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people." -Theodore Roosevelt

Local news interviewed a lady last week who said she has been in the US for almost forty years, the kicker was the reporter had to speak to her in Spanish as the women could not speak the English. Assimilating my ass!

Depends where you live. My wife's grandparents came here in the 1960's and struggle with English, but they've spent the last 50 years in Los Angeles where you don't need it to get by. We can pull off a conversation but it takes work for them to get the words out.

They're better assimilated than half the country and they know more American history than half the country. I'm not kidding when I say the first question her grandfather asked me was, "You like Reagan? He good man, no?". He pulled a letter out of his pocket he got from President Reagan a decade earlier...he'd been carrying that letter for over 10 years and would show it to anybody who asked. They're die-hard conservatives. He was a gunsmith until he retired. They became American citizens. They vote. They're no less American than you are.

They also made all their kids learn English and get their citizenship. My wife was raised by her grandparents and despite their own struggles speaking English, her grandmother was adamant that she not be put on any classes taught in Spanish and called her school to complain when they sent letters home from school in Spanish.

The US doesn't have an official language. You can't use English proficiency as a measure of how much someone rates as a citizen because I consider her grandparents more American than half the people I know.

ETA: I always get a kick out of being in a house surrounded by people with heavy Spanish accents bitching about "Press 2 for Spanish" and the problems caused by illegals. We even had a mini-rebellion this New Years when one of the cousins got everybody together (we celebrated at her house this year) and asked everybody not to discuss politics because she had friends coming who are Democrats. Her mother immediately started chanting "Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump" and everybody joined in. A house full of Nicaraguans chanting for Trump. It was glorious.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:13:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Depends where you live. My wife's grandparents came here in the 1960's and struggle with English, but they've spent the last 50 years in Los Angeles where you don't need it to get by. We can pull off a conversation but it takes work for them to get the words out.

They're better assimilated than half the country and they know more American history than half the country. I'm not kidding when I say the first question her grandfather asked me was, "You like Reagan? He good man, no?". He pulled a letter out of his pocket he got from President Reagan a decade earlier...he'd been carrying that letter for over 10 years and would show it to anybody who asked. They're die-hard conservatives. He was a gunsmith until he retired. They became American citizens. They vote. They're no less American than you are.

They also made all their kids learn English and get their citizenship. My wife was raised by her grandparents and despite their own struggles speaking English, her grandmother was adamant that she not be put on any classes taught in Spanish and called her school to complain when they sent letters home from school in Spanish.

The US doesn't have an official language. You can't use English proficiency as a measure of how much someone rates as a citizen because I consider her grandparents more American than half the people I know.

ETA: I always get a kick out of being in a house surrounded by people with heavy Spanish accents bitching about "Press 2 for Spanish" and the problems caused by illegals. We even had a mini-rebellion this New Years when one of the cousins got everybody together (we celebrated at her house this year) and asked everybody not to discuss politics because she had friends coming who are Democrats. Her mother immediately started chanting "Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump" and everybody joined in. A house full of Nicaraguans chanting for Trump. It was glorious.
View Quote

It has been my observation over the years that our system is an enabler for people to not learn the English language. I know your wife's family are good people as I personally know many like them. Most of them didn't come from mexico either. The people from many of the South American countries are a different  breed and don't like mexicans.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:17:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Any excuses are simply wedges to divide the country up into groups, some people like that idea.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:21:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Fuckin' winning!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:31:49 AM EDT
[#5]
This is probably just a mundane, non-issue and it'll be back up. We'll see in a week or so if it is still the same way.

Doesn't seem like too big a deal either way, imo. Mexico will need to read about the wall.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They dumped "Reducing Gun Violence" under the "Issues" category.  Winning.
View Quote
Nice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:42:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As it should be...

"We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an

American and assimilates himself to us he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birth-place or origin.

But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn’t doing his part as an American.

There can be no divided allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people." -Theodore Roosevelt

Thats a cool story, god bless your wifes gun toting, Regan letter carrying family.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:46:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Como se dice "oh shit" en espanol?

In all seriousness that "spanish option" always pissed me off. It should either have 50-60 languages (under the assumption that international people might be looking at it) or ENGLISH because this is America. No "press 1 for English" bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:48:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Apparently the LGBTQ page has been taken down according to my LGBTQ friends.
View Quote
Good
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#11]
how much longer before I have to go to the emergency rom to report my freedom boner
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
English is the common language here, but I know some damn good, hard-working, TAX PAYING, TRUMP-VOTING CONSERVATIVES quin no hablo el Ingles.  

Most everyone on my wife's side of the family are dual citizen, here and Mexico, and they are all a bunch of gun-totin', American flag havin', hard-workin' people.   They just don't speak much English.
View Quote

Great, and to truly create common ground and a common ideology the free flow of ideas between peoples is vital.  In other words, to get people on the side of good thinking Americans, you have to be able to communicate about complex ideas, such as politics and rights.

A common language is the only real way to do that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#13]
No habla your blah blah.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
how much longer before I have to go to the emergency rom to report my freedom boner
View Quote

"Call your  Doctor if you've had an erection longer than four hours."   r
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Good, now remove it from the voting ballots.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#16]
The man is use to getting stuff done......has been his whole life.     He will continue to get stuff done.

Off to a great start!!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good, now remove it from the voting ballots.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Do you speak English?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
English is the common language here, but I know some damn good, hard-working, TAX PAYING, TRUMP-VOTING CONSERVATIVES quin no hablo el Ingles.  

Most everyone on my wife's side of the family are dual citizen, here and Mexico, and they are all a bunch of gun-totin', American flag havin', hard-workin' people.   They just don't speak much English.
View Quote

Learn

When I used to conduct business in Germany, I learned to communicate (not fluent but passable) in German, even though most spoke English.

When my Grandfather (pre-WWII) conducted most of his business in Budapest, he learned to speak Hungarian.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Good, I hope they take the other languages off all official things. Most of the people from races can speak English anyway, they just choose not to because they know we will cater to them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Any possibility that we will get a national law/regulation/executive order/policy making English the official language of the US and requiring all official publications and courts to use only English?

I guess a Constitutional amendment would be too hard to do.

I'd like to see Federal money withheld from schools that have bilingual teaching.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And that's fine. I just feel like we should save money, time, effort etc. by agreeing we will use English for all official business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most everyone on my wife's side of the family are dual citizen, here and Mexico, and they all a bunch of gun-totin', American flag havin', hard-workin' people.   They just don't speak much English.

And that's fine. I just feel like we should save money, time, effort etc. by agreeing we will use English for all official business.
This.

If they don't want to learn english, that's fine.  But they shouldn't be able to demand that everyone help them out with that choice.  Furthermore, I don't see how in a nation where the very large majority of citizenry speaks english.....anyone can expect to be doing business in any other language.  

Can't speak it?  Fine, your choice and all......but also your cross to bear.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Borders, Language, Culture-- defines a nation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#25]
That is stupid. We do have Puerto Rico as a US Territory that just elected a Republican into the Governor's Seat and just elected for the first time in its history a Republican Representative to Congress (Non Voting Member).

Spanish is part of this nation and its history.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As it should be...

My Grandmother does speak a word of English. Been in the US since 1961. Voted Republican since citizenship and voted for Trump. 

Also we have a territory called Puerto Rico. Where they're all American Citizens by birth. Spanish is oart of this country
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That is stupid. We do have Puerto Rico as a US Territory that just elected a Republican into the Governor's Seat and just elected for the first time in its history a Republican Representative to Congress (Non Voting Member).

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

By your stupid attempt at logic then we should really have options for every tribal language. Navajo, Cherokee, apache, etc. Why not Chinese? Lots of Chinese migrant helped build this country. Part of this nation and its history, right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#30]
MAGA

This is America.  We speak English.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tulsa has 2, possible 3 elementary schools devoted to English is a 2nd (EiS)language schools.
View Quote

Yep...and they just re-elected Kathy Taylor (Hillary II) as their new mayor, fully dedicated to making Tulsa THE "sanctuary city" for illegal aliens.
She'd disguised as a metro sexual faggot named G. T. Bynum, but Kitty Loebeck (Taylor) is pulling the strings again. Bynum is just the puppet who thinks he's a boy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Winning.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not tired of winning yet...
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good for them for being hard working, tax paying conservatives.

But they should learn the language! They now live in America.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#35]
The flip side of the coin, and a warning, is if the US ever decides to enshrine Spanish as an official language.

The implication is, as government - and you are seeing it with the duplication on that one site - when an official language the Government MUST duplicate everything.

Further, to move up in government, it becomes mandatory to speak BOTH languages - which automatically will provide a barrier to a certain portion of the government workforce that doesn't speak Spanish (and doesn't/can't get fluent enough) and preferential selection for a certain portion that is bilingual. You quickly get Spanish Americans preferentially selected for the positions of power due to the "simple" thing of making a language "official", and NOT because you have the best person for the job.

Canada made French an official language, and the head bureaucrats in government agencies in Ottawa are a large proportion Quebec French. I can tell you that there are a lot of times their English is horrendous, making dealings even more painful in what should be simpler, and their competency in general is suspect from past experience.

As most of you are saying, any official dealings with the US Government should be in one language: English.

Make sure you keep it that way.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Make English great again!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Call you doctor if your freedom boner lasts more than eight years.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#38]
?Donde esta el queso?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Somebody help me out.

There used to be a gun store website that had the stores name on a banner, and underneath it two buttons.

The first said, "Press here for English". The other said, "Press here for languages other than English". The English button took you to the website, the other-than-English button took you to Rosetta Stone site, Learn to Speak English.

Since seeing it once, I've searched for that site repeatedly, and can't find it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The flip side of the coin, and a warning, is if the US ever decides to enshrine Spanish as an official language.

The implication is, as government - and you are seeing it with the duplication on that one site - when an official language the Government MUST duplicate everything.

Further, to move up in government, it becomes mandatory to speak BOTH languages - which automatically will provide a barrier to a certain portion of the government workforce that doesn't speak Spanish (and doesn't/can't get fluent enough) and preferential selection for a certain portion that is bilingual. You quickly get Spanish Americans preferentially selected for the positions of power due to the "simple" thing of making a language "official", and NOT because you have the best person for the job.

Canada made French an official language, and the head bureaucrats in government agencies in Ottawa are a large proportion Quebec French. I can tell you that there are a lot of times their English is horrendous, making dealings even more painful in what should be simpler, and their competency in general is suspect from past experience.

As most of you are saying, any official dealings with the US Government should be in one language: English.

View Quote

IMO, it is only a matter of time before California institutes a policy similar to Canada's.
It has already become quite a thing in retail and dealing with government and (IMO) it doesn't mean that non Hispanics who speak Spanish get jobs.
It means that Hispanics that speak fluent Spanish and limited English get some preferential treatment.

Many times retail, fast food etc often becomes a challenge for non Spanish speakers due to the poor English language skills of the workers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Somebody help me out.

There used to be a gun store website that had the stores name on a banner, and underneath it two buttons.

The first said, "Press here for English". The other said, "Press here for languages other than English". The English button took you to the website, the other-than-English button took you to Rosetta Stone site, Learn to Speak English.

Since seeing it once, I've searched for that site repeatedly, and can't find it.
View Quote

That's awesome!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Replace the Spanish link with a link to the page in Russian and really piss the Left off.

Funny, when the Soviet union was run by kleptocratic left wing tyrants the Liberals loved Russia. Now that the Soviet Union has broken up and Russia is run by a much less tyrannical kleptocratic nationalist the Left hates Russia.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not tired of winning yet...
View Quote

^ This!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#45]
No habla.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#46]
MAGA !!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
And I thought it was bad when I watched a citizenship celebration where the lady had been here for 20 and couldn't speak a single fucking sentence in English.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'd like to see Federal money withheld from schools that have bilingual teaching.
View Quote

IMHO the real problem is the whole attitude they have where the "Brown Pride" crap is OK but the kid with the American flag gets suspended, or where you go to the DMV and hear 20 different languages in the background while trying to find an English language form in the pile of Spanish ones.

Bilingual and trilingual education is actually a good thing and I am very much in favor of it...but ENGLISH should come first.

PS - yo hablo un poco de espanol y parle francais...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

This sensible post will largely be ignored. Guys will look to Canada to say why we shouldn't have single payer healthcare, but then ignore our neighbor when it shows the direct and collateral issues of having 2 official languages (not an impossibility in the next 50 years).
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
MAGA

This is America.  We speak English.
View Quote
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top