Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2017 3:05:27 PM EDT
Looking at hosting a car show as a PR event and looking for advice from fellow car guys.

My current list is as follows:
    I have a lot of space - good for at least 300 cars and the locations insurance is good with the event and permitting is a non-issue.  Our immediate surrounding area has a population of about 350K.
    50 / 50 drawing - prize(s) yet to be determined
    Multiple trophies (need suggestions on classes)
    No entry fee
    I have a local DJ that will show up and play car show appropriate music
    Local food truck on site
    Donations accepted for a local charity

Thoughts?  Surely I'm missing things.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Trophys:
Best in show
People's choice
Best domestic / classic / kit car etc
Best show car
Best daily driver
Most improved - with documentation
Best paint job

Contact any number of car clubs to see what's involved.
Don't forget the burnout pit - people love that shit and it makes great videos when things go sideways.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to go to car shows every week when I was a bit younger.
In my area a lot of the local car clubs belonged to a car club assoc. that kept track of points from all the member clubs shows and then had year end awards at the last show of the year. You should check to see if there is anything like that in your area because you definitetly dont want to compete for attendees against those. Realistically you dont want to compete with any other shows.
Id go to a local show and grab a flyer to see what other shows are offering. Seems like most shows averaged around 30+ classes. Old vehicles dont like to compete against new. Cars dont want to compete against trucks, 4x4s against lowriders,etc. include an under construction and under 18 class to help draw young people. You can also do specialty awards. Farthest driven to get there,best personalized plate,participants choice, club participation- the club with the most member vehicles. Clubs like that one.
Participants love dash plaques as momentos of show attendence whether they win or lose.
Have games to give the crowd something to do. It can get boring after youve got your cleaning done or been judged and nothing to do but sit around for several more hours until the awards ceremony.
Games can be simple stuff. Water balloon toss or egg balancing on a spoon races,potato sack races,etc.
Have a model car competion and split the class between kids and adults.
Hit up places like year one for freebies-stickers,etc. for goodie bags.
Start looking for business sponsors to help pay for trophies and giveaway stuff. Most places are happy to toss enough money to cover the trophies for one class, make sure the sponsor name is also on the trophy engraving somewhere.
People seem to like trophies more and the bigger the better although over the years Ive kind of decided I liked plaques better since they took up less room.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Invite a Mustang club
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I was President of our local small town club for a few years.  We used to put up a judged car show but that got to be way too much work.  The last couple shows we hosted were redirected toward having fun day.  Our entry fee was canned goods to be donated to the local community food pantry.  OFTEN when participants, who were used to paying $10-$15 for an entry fee found out it was a "free" show, would toss down $$ to give to the food pantry as well as some canned goods.

Some of the trophies we gave away:

President's Choice
Best Car to go to Bingo -  Usually it was a big old four door blue hair grandma car
Big Lug Nut Award - given to the guy having too much fun at the car show
Ladies Choice
Long Distance - given to the person who drove the farthest to get there
Lowest car
Most Likely to receive a ticket - we let the town cop pick that one
Biggest Back Seat
Mayor's Choice - we held the show in a city park & it was a way to enlist the help of the city
Biggest Bumpers  True story - that trophy was won by an older rather chubby lady who had boobs as big as the 53 Buick she was driving.

We let the person or persons who picked that particular "award" winner hand out the trophy at the end of the day.
We had a push drag race in the parking lot - one driver & only three pushers, standing start, car NOT running & in neutral. - THAT WAS HILARIOUS.
Have games for kids to play & give away dollar store prizes.   We had some talented people in the club & we made most of our own trophies.

Lastly, dash plaques were always a popular item to include as a "gift" to those who took the time to bring a car.

Like I said, it put fun back into the show.  It gave folks who don't often win trophies a chance to leave with a dust collector.  It did piss off some of the trophy hounds a bit.

At the end of the show, our club members lined up to wave good bye and say thank you as the participants were leaving.  We received several comments about how that was classy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Two words...

Burnout. Contest.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I go to a lot of shows.  The most often overlooked thing is having enough restrooms or blue boxes.

Next is you expect the show attendees to pay to show their car.  What do they get in return?  Give them something. A t-shirt and dash plaque is customary, but the better shows give free beer and some give a host meal, lunch, dinner, garage tour, beers, etc.  

Get the car guys to vote on their favorite.  Have them turn in their ballot to get their dash plaque. 

Some give nothing to the car guys. Guess which shows I pick? 

Be sure you have adequate insurance.  We almost lost our ass when a kid was injured at one of our hosted events.  Luckily the mom was a welfare rat and the statute of limitations ran out before their lawyer filed. They probably couldn't afford to sue, and we refused to settle.  Shit happens, buy insurance. 

If you have vendors, it is typical to get a percentage of their take.  We didnt' know this, until they started paying us.  We had no contract and did not ask for it.  It was just customary.  Best bet is to get a contract for vendors.  Some bigger shows allow no currency at the vendors.  The club sells tickets for cash and you pay for your food with the tickets.  That way the club has total control of the cash.  Others have a flat fee for the space. 

Most of us don't give two shits about trophies or judging.  I know I build cool cars and people tell me so.  A trophy means nothing to me. Free beer means everything to me.  We are just there to look at cars and have a good time.  Making us stay until the judging is a waste.  I just leave when I want.  

I am a former member of the Little Guys Street Rods in San Diego and the car show at San Marcos Restaurant Row was our big deal for several years. I recall it would bring in around $15K after expenses.  Half went to charity, the other half carried over for the next year.  We had the Mar Dels play on stage for the event. 

Back then the rule of thumb was if two low riders showed up, one would stab the other.  Yes, two years in a row.  We stopped allowing low riders.  Things may have changed.........
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Port-O-lets, and beer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top