[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Only if it's Taggart's Comet.
View Quote

On Rearden Steel Rails.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I suppose it depends on which one gets the gold tapestry and ornate pillars installed first.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hagerstown is very close to Camp David.  I think they just lengthened the runway to accommodate AF1.
View Quote

In that regard,

The Martinsburg, West Va 167th ANG Base could work too.

Secured airspace,security,protection,and maintenance.All in one.

Leave the big plane there,and grab a Blackhawk to the whitehouse lawn.

Short hop to DC/White house from there.

How's about
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The big issue is transportation from JFK to Trump Tower.  Ground transport is going to be a nightmare with all the traffic shut downs required by Secret Service.  
View Quote

Soooo, President Trump should ground commute from NYC to D.C. through every blue county between them? And disrupt the liberals travels every day?
You think they're whining now, imagine if he was vindictive enough to do that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Air Force 1.  There are reasons for that.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When Clinton was regularly travelling to NYC the drill was that AF-1 flew him into JFK and would then shuttle down to McGuire AFB and sit there if needed for a fast exit or wait until his scheduled departure.  In either case they would fly back to JFK, pick him up and return to DC.  I don't see anything different being done for Trump.

The big issue is transportation from JFK to Trump Tower.  Ground transport is going to be a nightmare with all the traffic shut downs required by Secret Service.  They could use a chopper to get from JFK to one of the heliports on the East River or the Hudson and then convoy to the Tower.  Ideally they would be able to chopper to the Tower, but I don't think that the building has a helipad based on a look at Google Earth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think a 747 can land a laguardia. It's too big. I think the largest plane that can land there is the 767-400  
JFK can (and does) take 747s.

I feel for the people that live around there, constant presidential motorcades are going to be a PITA to deal with.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the roof of Trump tower can accommodate a helicopter, even if it was allowed.  
When Clinton was regularly travelling to NYC the drill was that AF-1 flew him into JFK and would then shuttle down to McGuire AFB and sit there if needed for a fast exit or wait until his scheduled departure.  In either case they would fly back to JFK, pick him up and return to DC.  I don't see anything different being done for Trump.

The big issue is transportation from JFK to Trump Tower.  Ground transport is going to be a nightmare with all the traffic shut downs required by Secret Service.  They could use a chopper to get from JFK to one of the heliports on the East River or the Hudson and then convoy to the Tower.  Ideally they would be able to chopper to the Tower, but I don't think that the building has a helipad based on a look at Google Earth.
You're absolutely right about that.  Lots of New Yorkers are going to be upset about the SS shutting down traffic every week or so to accommodate the Trump team. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Found this from 2011.  I guess Obama used take Marine 1 from the airport to the downtown helipad.

ETA: It looks like the closest helipad to Trump Tower is on East 34th, about 2 miles away.

The city’s helicopter world emanates from three commercial heliports. In 1956, a heliport opened on the west end of 30th Street, followed, in late 1960, by the Downtown Manhattan Heliport in the East River on the edge of the financial district. The East 34th Street Heliport opened in 1972.

The Downtown Heliport is the only one currently allowed to have public sightseeing flights. It is where the president usually lands on visits to the city.
View Quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/nyregion/fatal-helicopter-crash-provokes-flights-critics.html
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I was President I would bring back Presidential train travel.
View Quote
Both as a Senator and VP, Biden regularly took the train from DC to Wilmington, DE.
He was quite well known for which train he would be on as a Senator, if you needed an issue fixed, you'd wait at the platform for that train and tell him your story. He'd even carry passes to use if he needed you to ride with him to finish.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When the Obamas took the plane to California, it was "SAM 28000" (or whatever the tail number is.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
When the Obamas took the plane to California, it was "SAM 28000" (or whatever the tail number is.)

No, it was SAM44.  During his term this callsign was used by whatever aircraft was flying as the backup.

Trump's flight from NYC to DC was SAM45.  I'll be listening for this to be used by Trump's backup plane.

Quoted:
There are TWO airframes that can be AF-1.

There are more than two.  The C-32s are used to fly POTUS when an airport can't handle a VC-25.  C-32s have regularly been flying as backups to the VC-25s while they've been taking turns out of service for upgrades and maintenance.  The 89th AS also has C-20Cs that can fly POTUS if necessary.  In fact Obama took one of these for one of his date nights in NYC.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pretty sure if the president leaves DC so does AF1
View Quote
ANY Fixed Wing Aircraft is Automatically called Air Force One.

I'm kinda wondering what's going to happen to THIS aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He'll just take the train
View Quote

this.

there are underground trains built all over the country to transport the aliens and the Illuminati. one major depot is under the denver airport.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Found this from 2011.  I guess Obama used take Marine 1 from the airport to the downtown helipad.

ETA: It looks like the closest helipad to Trump Tower is on East 34th, about 2 miles away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/nyregion/fatal-helicopter-crash-provokes-flights-critics.html
View Quote

The downtown "Wall Street"heliport is the only one really suitable for marine one. The west side heliport has no real area to stage the caravan due to it being jammed between the the Hudson River and the west side highway. Regarding the 34street heliport (air & marine terminal) its so close to the elevated portion of the FDR drive that the commuter pilots ( with ball of brass) have land almost under neath the iron over pass to clear the rotors. It's really a sight to behold if you're ever in the area.
So he flies into JFK where marine one is waiting and rotors over to Wall Street then motorcades uptown to the tower. Bush did it like that and obamas been doing it like that just about every week for the last 8 years :(
Not great but it works
Now if he got a helipad in Central Park it's just a two block hop to the tower, that would be ssshhhhmmaarrttt

Ps trump tower has no helipad, all the ones in city are old and not operational

Eta cause spell checker is stoopid
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does President Trump have a helipad on the roof of Trump Tower?

The VH-60N "White Hawk" has a maximum speed of 183 miles per hour which would be able to fly from DC to NY in a little over one hour. The difference between AF1 and Marine One to travel from DC to NYC would be about the same considering vehicular transport to Trump Tower on surface streets after landing.
View Quote

The real issue is national security, no economy. Without access to Air Force One, POTUS has no command and control ability in case of an attack. Travelling be helo also limits where he can go in order to avoid a catastrophic incident. Being able to circle the globe at 35,000 plus feet is a lot safer in most scenarios than being at lower altitudes flown by helicopters.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://global.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/images/File-N757AF%20AA3410/Size-Full/Picture.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://global.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/images/File-N757AF%20AA3410/Size-Full/Picture.png

That's going to the future Presidential Library.  IMHO it won the election.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It was only called "Executive 1" because the President wasn't on board. When the Obamas took the plane to California, it was "SAM 28000" (or whatever the tail number is.)

Both "Air Force 1" and "Marine 1" denote the passenger, not the aircraft.
View Quote

Correct. I just saw a show/movie/something about this.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope:

Since 1953 whenever the President is on board a military flight its call sign is the name of the armed service followed by the word "One". Thus Air Force One, Army One, Coast Guard One, Marine One and Navy One.[1] However, only the Air Force and Marine Corps actively maintain aircraft for the Commander-in-Chief, and as of January 19, 2017, the President has not flown in a Coast Guard aircraft. If the President uses a civilian airplane it is designated Executive One.[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_of_the_President_of_the_United_States
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:36:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:42:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Why would he want to go to NYC?  He’s has the post office down the street, Palm Beach, and many other locations if he desired.  I don’t get the sense he’ll be screwing off like the last guy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:45:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would bet that a/c is an asset of the Trump Corp and will remain so.  Selling it only causes problems for him.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:54:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just det one of them to JFK or LGA.
View Quote

LGA has 7,000 foot runways. Clinton used to fly into JFK and then drive into New York City. I don't think AF1 used Newark very often. I've no idea why. It's closer. I don't think there's anywhere in Manhattan where Marine 1 will land.

Clinton's NYC visits infuriated New Yorkers. They thought it was cool the first few times, but the presidential motorcade caused horrific traffic jams and it will be much worse now. New York City has more people and the same amount of roads. Clinton got a pass because he was a democrat, but Trump won't. I expect he remembers the mess that Clinton used to make and stays out of there as much as possible.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:44:36 AM EDT
[#24]
While I'm at it, track 61 still exists at Grand Central Terminal. It accesses the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Franklin Roosevelt used it. It's a mess now, but it could be fixed up. It had an elevator that Roosevelt used to bring his limousine down from the parking garage at the hotel. Doubtless that won't work anymore, but it has potential.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:58:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bet Don Jr, Eric, and Ivanka share it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why would he want to go to NYC?  He’s has the post office down the street, Palm Beach, and many other locations if he desired.  I don’t get the sense he’ll be screwing off like the last guy.
View Quote
He's not pulling Baron out of school in the middle of the year, so his wife and son will live in NYC until June.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
While I'm at it, track 61 still exists at Grand Central Terminal. It accesses the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Franklin Roosevelt used it. It's a mess now, but it could be fixed up. It had an elevator that Roosevelt used to bring his limousine down from the parking garage at the hotel. Doubtless that won't work anymore, but it has potential.
View Quote

Waldorf is owned by the Chinese now.  That's why the US moved the UN Ambassador residence out of there and POTUS no longer stays there during the UN General Assembly week.  Sad, because it's a cool hotel with a lot of history (like the "hidden" subway station you mentioned).
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It was only called "Executive 1" because the President wasn't on board. When the Obamas took the plane to California, it was "SAM 28000" (or whatever the tail number is.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely!

Think about it for a second, if the shit hit's the fan and he's up in NY with EXecutive one, it may very well be too risky to fly him back to DC (Maryland actually) so that he can board AF1 and stay aloft.  

I'm sure you remember 9/11, President Bush was rushed to AF1 and stayed airborn until things could be sorted out.

Yup. If Trump is flying a bi plane it's AF1.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So you think he'll use AF1 to make the trip between NYC and the WH? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct.

A lot of people fly between NYC and DC, they have a shuttle. Delta and American fly every hour. Trump actually owned one of them.
That and if he needs to be somewhere in an emergency he can't be waiting fo AF-1 to show up, it needs to be there waiting for him.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Bubba used to land AF1 at Newark Airport when he went to the UN.  It was easier than landing at JFK and the drive is way shorter from Newark
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yup. If Trump is flying a bi plane it's AF1.
View Quote

Is the bi-plane owned by the Air Force?  If so, then it would be Air Force 1.  If it was owned/flown by another branch, it would be "Marine 1" (even fixed wing), "Navy 1" (remember when Bush landed on that carrier in a S-3 Viking?), "Coastguard 1", etc.

If the plane is privately owned - then it would be "Executive One".

The media mis-reported on Inauguration Day.  If Obama left DC on one of the VC-25s then it's call-sign would simply be "SAM 27000" or "SAM 28000" depending on which plane he was on.  At that point he was just a private citizen.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Guys.... ESCAPE PODS! You are all forgetting about the ESCAPE PODS! Geesh.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Your sarcasm meter must be due for calibration.  

Let me explain:

The person I was responding to said if the president leaves D.C. so does AF1.

Camp David isn't in D.C.  The president rides in his helio-chopper to get there, not AF1.
View Quote

Camp david is 56 miles from the White House.

66.5 mi Distance from Joint Base Andrews to Camp David

48.0 mi Distance from Dulles International Airport to Camp David

So Camp David isn't really considered an out of town trip. They can have the President on board AF-1 in minutes via Marine-1.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#34]
President Trump (God, it feels good to say that!) is probably going to be so busy Making America Great Again that his family will be doing most of the commuting.

Quoted:

View Quote

Leased out, sold, or in some uniquely Trumpian way turned into a profit center.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's incorrect.  ANY fixed wing aircraft that the president is a passenger on, operated by the United States, gains the callsign "Air Force 1".  Any rotary wing aircraft carrying the POTUS, operated by the United States, takes on the callsign of "Marine 1".
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Why not fly the family to him on the weekend that would be a lot cheaper? 0lus that won't completely fuck up traffic for the rest of us.

IMO Melania is going to have to move to DC with Barron before the end of the year. Sorry family has to make sacrifices.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's incorrect.  ANY fixed wing aircraft that the president is a passenger on, operated by the United States, gains the callsign "Air Force 1".  Any rotary wing aircraft carrying the POTUS, operated by the United States, takes on the callsign of "Marine 1".
View Quote

This is incorrect.

Nixon's famous "victory sign" photo?  In front of "Army 1".  Prior to HMX being formed the Army and Marines flew the President via helo. (same airframe at the time).

Bush 43 landed on a carrier prior to his "Mission Accomplished" speech on S-3 Viking with callsign "Navy 1"

Biden rode on an Coast Guard chopper with callsign "Coast Guard 2" once.

Info here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_of_the_President_of_the_United_States
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You're absolutely right about that.  Lots of New Yorkers are going to be upset about the SS shutting down traffic every week or so to accommodate the Trump team. 
View Quote

He will be going to NYC every week?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He's gonna take the train like he used to.

He's a pretty good shit, actually. He saw I had a new newspaper and bought me a coupla beers for giving it to him.
View Quote

am i missing a movie quote here?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

this is what I'm confused about.   is there talk or plans for him doing prez shit form NYC often or something?  he kinda has a new job, and he should be doing it from washington 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bubba used to land AF1 at Newark Airport when he went to the UN.  It was easier than landing at JFK and the drive is way shorter from Newark
View Quote

I don't remember that and at the time, I worked for a private ambulance company in New Jersey. I was up and down the New Jersey Turnpike all day long. I always looked because Air Force One is cool even when it was used to transport the two biggest assholes in the United States. I think he mostly flew into JFK. I never heard them speak to the reasons for it, but I can think of a few. First, JFK is much bigger than Newark-Liberty. UPS and FedEx use a large area in Newark and there's not a lot of places where you could truly secure the aircraft as the president embarks/disembarks. I think the Air Force still maintains a presence at JFK. JFK is also more isolated than Newark because it borders water on one side.

Then there's the route. Clinton typically went to the U.N. or a ritzy hotel in Midtown Manhattan like the Waldorf or the Ritz. There are six ways to get to Manhattan from New Jersey. All of them are really tight choke points pretty much all the time and four of them, the Bayonne Bridge, George Washington Bridge, Goethals Bridge and the Outerbridge Crossing, make the route much longer than it needs to be. If you want to get in quick from New Jersey, it's the Holland Tunnel or the Lincoln Tunnel. Both of these let out into local streets and you can blast the siren all day long. The cars won't get out of the way because there's no place for them to go.

If you go from JFK and you want to change up the route, there are 17 different crossings to get to Manhattan. Ten of them would be silly to use because they're local streets with heavy traffic or absurdly out of the way, but it gives them options. If you wanted to do something to the motorcade, you'd still have to guess which of the other seven crossings they planned to use.

At one point, I suggested that Mr. Clinton could land at Floyd Bennet Field, but I was countered when people said that the longest runway was only 7,000 feet. I said that the airplane would stop when it ran into Jamaica Bay, but that was not well received.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Just det one of them to JFK or LGA.
View Quote

AF-1 isn't flying in or out of LGA, ever.   The largest it can handle is a 767 with 7,000' runways and being built on piers out into the East River. Airnav for LGA
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have done as you described when past President have come to NYC for UN etc.. Including use of the Wall Street Helipad and they could certainly use the one on the Hudson as it is closer to Trump Tower.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
this is what I'm confused about.   is there talk or plans for him doing prez shit form NYC often or something?  he kinda has a new job, and he should be doing it from washington 
View Quote

I don't see it happening.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing I have heard about it is this thread so I am wondering why it's even a question.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I saw AF1, or maybe the backup plane, at March AFB (Riverside County) often when Reagan was in California.  
View Quote

Usually when Reagan was at his ranch, AF-1 stayed close by at NAS Pt Mugu.  The plane at March was the E-4B NEACP (National Emergency Airborne Command Post) 747 or "Kneecap".  When I was station in CA we were the backup base for NEACP, but they preferred March for the longer runway.

IIRC, the first time Kneecap was parked at March there were news stories about garage doors all over the area acting up that were traced to the radio frequencies being used by the plane while it was sitting alert with power on it for the entire time Reagan was at the ranch.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Soooo, President Trump should ground commute from NYC to D.C. through every blue county between them? And disrupt the liberals travels every day?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The big issue is transportation from JFK to Trump Tower.  Ground transport is going to be a nightmare with all the traffic shut downs required by Secret Service.  

Hell.  They used to bitch to high heaven when their heroes Klintoon and Obungo were the one causing the traffic gridlock.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#48]
JFK is considered the preferred location due to runway length, available space at the obsolete Pan Am hangar area and the ability to secure the location (which is surrounded by water on two sides).  Keep in mind it is not just one 747 aircraft, sharp eyed observers will notice a C17 or two arrive to JFK about a day in advance carrying the vehicles for the motorcade and advance personnel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, it depends on which Branch owns the Aircraft.......
When both the US Army & USMC had Presidential Chopper Fleets,
It could be Army One or Marine One..
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

The logistics would be too much.  The maintaice required for AF1 requires home base.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top