Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2017 8:21:52 PM EDT
I was looking at Sorel boots on steepandcheap.com but before I bought, thought I would check with you guys.  I kind of like the leather upper look, but am open.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Irish Setter Elk Trackers, 1000gr version. Its my go to winter boots here in Seattle. Im outside all day, everyday for work and usually wet and miserable most of  the winter here.

https://www.amazon.com/Irish-Setter-Mens-Tracker-Waterproof/dp/B001LK6VMO
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Hoffman Boots

I have a pair of their thinsulate linemans pacs with a steel toe. I only got the steel toe because they were a close out deal. When I wear them out I will buy another non steel toe pair. I am going on year 4 with mine and they look damn near new. I got the vibram lug sole and am super happy with the traction, way better then the air bob.

Check them out, they make sorrels look like uggs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I wear Sorel boots. They are by far the most comfortable boots I have even had. They keep your feet warm, dry, great traction on icy crap, and durable. There are a few models so make sure you read the reviews first. I have a few different pairs.

ETA: And you can walk around like you're wearing a sneaker unlike some of the other boot makers which can feel like you have a brick with high heels strapped to your feet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]
How warm are we talking, OP?

I have a pair of Sorel's (Link) that I like, though their QC has gone down the shitter over the years. This particular pair has split where the rubber meets the leather, and I had to have them replaced. Meh.

On the other hand, I have a pair of Baffins (Link) that are my absolute go to, when I'm outside in sub zero weather. I wore this pair while I was up on the Arctic ice floe in March of last year. My feet never felt the slightest bit cold. These are definitely my favorite boots.

YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a pair called LOWE. No not the store. I've wore them in snow 18" deep at 9below. They are the first boots to ever keep my feet warm.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I hunt in the Delta

Muck boots are what you seek. 
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was looking at Sorel boots on steepandcheap.com but before I bought, thought I would check with you guys.  I kind of like the leather upper look, but am open.
View Quote

You live in MS.   I live I WI.

It gets really cold in Canada.

A warm boot to me, compared to a warm boot to me compared to a "baller" in "late season" Canada or ice fishing is a completely different boot.  No offense.   But... the What? Why? Where?  And when? of the boots possible use matter.   No offense... but...
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought a pair called LOWE LOWA. No not the store. I've wore them in snow 18" deep at 9below. They are the first boots to ever keep my feet warm.

Ed
View Quote

I fixed it for you I'm pretty sure you meant lowas.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wear Sorel boots. They are by far the most comfortable boots I have even had. They keep your feet warm, dry, great traction on icy crap, and durable. There are a few models so make sure you read the reviews first. I have a few different pairs.

ETA: And you can walk around like you're wearing a sneaker unlike some of the other boot makers which can feel like you have a brick with high heels strapped to your feet.
View Quote

This has been my experience with them as well.  I did have a pair of snow boots that I only wore a few times that disintegrated.  The rubber soles and literally fell apart on me when I was walking.  I had owned the boots for a few years but I contacted Sorel and they sent me a brand new pair. That was over 3 years ago and the replacement boots have not fell apart like the previous pair. I think they just had a bad batch of rubber.  I still recommend and would buy them again.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]
JHC, OP, you're in MS.  Buy a pair of five buckles.  Put 'em over your wing tips & call it good.

Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hunt in the Delta

Muck boots are what you seek. 
View Quote

This...+1 for Muck boot
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#12]
O.K., a little more information.  I am looking for something that looks decent, I can throw on in rainstorms (which will be most of what I use them for), and is warm enough that I can take when we go on winter vacations in colorado or Utah and wear around town.  Thanks for the help so far.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Regular muck boots with wool socks are warm enough for me in central Iowa. The only time they get cold is if you're stationary in deep snow for a while.

The arctic muck boots are too hot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I fixed it for you I'm pretty sure you meant lowas.
View Quote

Thanks. I screwed that up.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Irish Setter Elk Trackers, 1000gr version. Its my go to winter boots here in Seattle. Im outside all day, everyday for work and usually wet and miserable most of  the winter here.

https://www.amazon.com/Irish-Setter-Mens-Tracker-Waterproof/dp/B001LK6VMO
View Quote

Good boot, I second this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been wearing Oboz Bridgers this winter and I really like them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Danner always has a good selection and great quality
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Regular muck boots with wool socks are warm enough for me in central Iowa. The only time they get cold is if you're stationary in deep snow for a while.

The arctic muck boots are too hot.
View Quote
Muckmaster are good all around and warm.  I wouldn't want to walk miles everyday in them though.  An insulated leather boot would be much better for support. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Ll bean
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Xtratuff is all I ever wear outdoors in the winter after living two years in AK.  Not the prettiest but with a pair of warm socks, they're nice and toasty
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a pair of Cabella's thinsulite/Goretex boots Leather) that are close to 30 years old and they have worked fine for me in Oregon and NY winters.
They only get worn in the snow so the soles are still in great shape, no idea if they still make them.
Like the shearling lined Goatskin jacket that I bought around the same time, they are very well made and both are still in use.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

But not cold. It's hard to beat a pac boot for warmth. Sorels are still a pretty good deal. The quality isn't quite what it used to be, and sizing can be iffy.

ETA: Just noticed OP's location. A regular work boot should be warm enough in MS... depending on how your body runs, a waterproof boot might actually be colder, if you have sweaty feet. Waterproof boots generally do not breath well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Just wear your normal boots with buckle or rubber boots over them.  When you have to go inside you can take the buckle boots off and not make a mess. The extra layer of the buckle / rubber boot dose a good job of keeping your feet warm and dry, if you have extreme cold use a normal boot with some thinsulate and the buckle / rubber boot over that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I have had great luck with Browning, and Danner's boots.  Most people don't know that Danner (Portland, OR) sells seconds out of their store.  They can't advertise the seconds, but they are usually little things like a wart in the leather, barely crooked seam, and things that don't usually affect function.  big savings on the seconds..

Most of their boots come in either waterproof, or waterproof insulated.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/minot-insulated

This isn't a pac boot but it is warm and waterproof.
I'm on the 2nd winter for mine and would buy another pair.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But not cold. It's hard to beat a pac boot for warmth. Sorels are still a pretty good deal. The quality isn't quite what it used to be, and sizing can be iffy.

ETA: Just noticed OP's location. A regular work boot should be warm enough in MS... depending on how your body runs, a waterproof boot might actually be colder, if you have sweaty feet. Waterproof boots generally do not breath well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It gets relatively cold here in the winters, nothing like farther inland however. It stayed below freezing for about 10 days (15 at night and 30 during the days) 2 weeks ago. Wasn't raining at that time, and warmed back up to mid to uppers 40s and raining in the days this last week. I'd prefer snow and 30 degrees over 33-35 degrees and raining all day.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Salomon Quest 4D GTX....best boots I've ever owned!  Water proof and warm.

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#29]
The best waterproof, warm boot for someone depends on several things. What temps will you be out in and for how long? Sitting in a tree stand in single digit temperatures for 3 hours and walking around town for half an hour at the same temperature require two different levels of insulation. Will you be walking on level sidewalks or slippery hillsides? Different soles for each situation. Sorels are fine for an around town boot where you will be walking when you're wearing them. the sole isn't the best for traction but unless it's slippery snow or ice you'll be alright. There are plenty of better boots that cost more money. To al large extent you get what you pay for. The most important thing is how the boot fits your foot. If it doesn't feel great when you put it on it's only going to get worse the more you wear it. Everybody's feet are different, what feels great on someone else's foot might be uncomfortable for you and vice versa.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorel makes a good boot. 

Intrepid Explorer - that's the boot you take with you on an arctic expedition.  More boot than you need

Caribou - that's the basic winter boot for spending hours outdoors in December in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Montana, and Canada.  More boot than you need.

Seems to me you need a basic rubber boot, knee high.  

like this

Add a good sock to that for warmth, or get some of the specific hunting ones that have more insulation
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#31]
You can't get a good boot recommendation without stating how it will be used.  However, you shouldn't need much in MS.  Some 800 gram Gore-tex hunting boots should be plenty for your coldest days.  

Up here, an outdoorsman owns many warm boots in different levels of insulation.  But my Icemans or my snowmobile boots would be pointless for you in MS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top