Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2017 5:56:51 PM EDT
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/russias-su-35-fighter-has-key-edge-over-americas-f-22-19073

America’s F-22 Raptor is one of the world’s most advanced warplanes. But it has several weaknesses. For one, it’s blind in the infrared though several of its potential rivals have infrared-search-and-track sensors, effectively allowing them to scan for enemy warplanes’ heat signatures.

The F-22 also lacks side-looking radars, which allow an aircraft to fire a missile that requires mid-course updates from the aircraft’s radar while continuing to provide tracking data after turning more than 90 degrees away from the path of the missile.

...in January 1989, the U.S. Air Force put a cap on the cost of the F-22’s avionics at $9 million per aircraft in production. At that time, Lockheed’s paper design had over $16 million of avionics in each aircraft.

Thus, the IRST was dropped?—?as were a number of other systems, including the side-looking, cheek-mounted radars.

And 27 years later, the F-22’s main competition, the Russian Su-35 Flanker-E, has infrared-search-and-track and cheek-mounted radars.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
False.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You can pick up a couple Valentine ONE's for a round 500 bucks each.
 Thousand dollars per plane: BOOM. Fixed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
How many Su-35 are fly worthy today? Not combat ready. Just flight worthy?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Wonder if the F-22 can be retrofitted with DAS
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Why can't we do this?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Do we REALLY need dogfighters any more? 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol. The man in the drivers seat plays a big part as well, and Russia has had IRST forever. If it was a capability we needed, it would be there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Absolute BS

Vince
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
my kayak has side scan imaging...   

ergo - my kayak is better than raptor 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the US even still stock any non-fire and forget radar AAMs?

I know the old AIM-7 Sparrows had to be guided, but IIRC isn't AAMRAM self guiding?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like fake news.
However, as always, we will have our next gen aircraft combat ready by the time the russians and chicoms get their stolen plan copies of our previous gen planes in the air.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I heard that it doesn't bleed energy below 300 knots like the MiG-28. However, the MiG-28 does have a problem with its inverted flight tanks. It won't do a negative G push over.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I heard that it doesn't bleed energy below 300 knots like the MiG-28. However, the MiG-28 does have a problem with its inverted flight tanks. It won't do a negative G push over.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I know the old AIM-7 Sparrows had to be guided, but IIRC isn't AAMRAM self guiding?
View Quote

I believe the AAMRAM is only F&F inside a certain range, but its range can be extended if it is homing using the jet's radar. Also, I think it is less susceptible to countermeasures if the mother ship keeps radar lock until the AAMRAM intercepts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
False.
View Quote

Pretty much that entire article is bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

depending on the mode it's fired in, AMRAAM gets mid-course guidance from the aircraft until it gets close enough to turn on its own seeker
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Our biggest strength in addition to the quality of personnel is the level of battlefield integration particularly in tracking airborne targets.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow.  How can someone gather that much program minutia ... and then bone the really easy stuff like the F-18 E/F target/nav pod stations, and Su-35 SAR?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

They only built about 60 of them.  Russia relies heavily on old Soviet era SU-27's.  Their entire nation's GDP is less than California's...
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They only built about 60 of them.  Russia relies heavily on old Soviet era SU-27's.  Their entire nation's GDP is less than California's...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SU-27 is still a fairly capable front line fighter, but it wasn't designed to compete with the F35, it was intended to counter the F15, and in the 80s and early 90s it did that pretty good.  I would consider the SU-27 superior to the Mirage, Eurofighter, and GDs favorite Gripen, however I'm just a GenAv pilot, so take that FWIW.

SU35M does put on a helluva flight demo, and IMHO, they have us beat in thrust vectoring(and its not a bad looking piece either, would fly anywhere)

Paris Air Show 2013 - Su-35 vertical take-off + Air Show (HD)
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's y'alls honest, no bs opinion of the SU27s they have now?  Did you get a chance to fly against them at Red Flag?

Here's a Russian(dubbed in English) documentary on the SU 27 I saw recently

Building the SU 27 - The Best Fighter Jet in the World
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only for the last few seconds of flight.  Until then, the launching aircraft's radar provides target position and motion updates to the missile via datalink.  In general, the longer that the fighter provides datalink, the smaller the uncertainty volume that the missile has to search and the higher the Pk.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow.  How can someone gather that much program minutia ... and then bone the really easy stuff like the F-18 E/F target/nav pod stations, and Su-35 SAR?
View Quote

Super Hornet was supposed to have those fancy cheek radars, but PMA 265 had to trade performance for cost and schedule.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The SU-27 is still a fairly capable front line fighter, but it wasn't designed to compete with the F35, it was intended to counter the F15, and in the 80s and early 90s it did that pretty good.  I would consider the SU-27 superior to the Mirage, Eurofighter, and GDs favorite Gripen, however I'm just a GenAv pilot, so take that FWIW.

SU35M does put on a helluva flight demo, and IMHO, they have us beat in thrust vectoring(and its not a bad looking piece either, would flry anywhere)

ehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVlmoNtcyhY
View Quote

They aren't better at thrust vector tech.  In point if fact, the F22 doesn't employ 3D vectoring because it offers no advantage in ACM, & was dumped for this reason.  On the contrary, lateral pivoting is great for doing aerial demos, but effectively bleeds off energy, which is death in ACM, as I'm sure you are probably aware.

Additionally, the 22’s FCS is designed to modulate engine output to sufficiently accomod lateral vector manuevering, if needed.  They got it figured.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#28]
For those asking how many Su-35's are operational. How many F-22's are. Hint: Not many.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Su-35s seen via an F-18's ATFLIR pod over Syria.

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Only for the last few seconds of flight.  Until then, the launching aircraft's radar provides target position and motion updates to the missile via datalink.  In general, the longer that the fighter provides datalink, the smaller the uncertainty volume that the missile has to search and the higher the Pk.
View Quote

IIRC, the Brits didn't initially fit their Tornado ADV's with the datalink, and were shocked that the AMRAAMs weren't as good as the Skyflashes they replaced.

That datalink is important.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

SU35M does put on a helluva flight demo, and IMHO, they have us beat in thrust vectoring(and its not a bad looking piece either, would fly anywhere)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVlmoNtcyhY
View Quote

The good news if a Rusky pulls that flat crap spinning stuff low enough we can take them out with a bolt action rifle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Doesn't the Su-35 also require 4x the maintenance hours?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#35]
LINK 16 or go home.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Lol. SU-35 is badass tho.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Why do US aircraft shy away from IRST capability?  It seems so simple and logical...even if it is redundant.  Its passive...so why not?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Go home Ivan, you're drunk.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#39]
SU35? .....

I didn't see it....did you see it....No? ...Me neither.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Well the F-22 holds a key edge over the Su-35.

American pilots
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why do US aircraft shy away from IRST capability?  It seems so simple and logical...even if it is redundant.  Its passive...so why not?
View Quote

They had it in the early 60s,that's what the bumps are in front of the windscreens on F-101Bs and F-8Es.

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#42]
No edge anywhere when ground based missile platforms make jets obsolete.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#43]
How do Su-35 pilots use a HOTAS setup when they have to keep a hand on the ejection handle?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do they?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#45]
lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No edge anywhere when ground based missile platforms make jets obsolete.
View Quote

They do?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because it's shit.  It doesn't give a firing solution, because you get only bearing, no velocity or direction.  It's range is highly dependent on atmospheric conditions.  It fucks up your RCS unless you spend a shitload making it "stealth". It's blocked by the airframe because only an idiot would replace your radar with it entirely.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yawn, looks good in an airshow but their front flip over a barrel tomahawk throw has no purpose in A to A. Do that flat spin in a dog fight watch a reaper take it out with an AGM-114
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top