Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2017 5:37:57 PM EDT
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3156592/mobile/att-raises-unlimited-data-pricing-as-carriers-push-users-away-from-grandfathered-plans.html

Searched and found no dupes. Just got an email from AT&T so I did some web browsing on this. Looks like AT&T is doing another $5 increase (like last year) to those of us who have the grandfathered unlimited data plan. I've been using AT&T with iPhone's since 2008 and overall have been pleased with the service/benefits. After hearing about the end of contracts last year I upgraded my phone one last time to get the subsidy. I use a decent amount of data (~20-40gb/mo) so the unlimited plan has been far cheaper than what current plans include.

It seems to me that AT&T will continue the plan increases $5/yr if the trend remains unchanged. While a $10 increase per month over the past year isn't a huge deal from what I was paying, I'm thinking long term on what to do with my plan. Has anyone sold their grandfathered plans on ebay/craigslist/someone you know? Also what are good options out there for you data hogs without breaking the bank?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Fkrs, not again
I wonder if there is any room to bitch and have them cut a deal, or is it time to just move on?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
T-Mobile One plan. 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you have good ATT coverage look at Cricket's unlimited option, $65 a month after tax if you use auto-pay. You're limited to 8Mbps but that's plenty even for streaming video.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you have good ATT coverage look at Cricket's unlimited option, $65 a month after tax if you use auto-pay. You're limited to 8Mbps but that's plenty even for streaming video.
View Quote

ETA: Oh I see, limited speed, not data.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it really "unlimited" or is it like straight talk where they use AT&T towers, claim the plans unlimited and then cut you off after 2gb's of use?

I'll have to check out the tmobile option as well. I'm open to any provider (except sprint) as I live in Philly so service  generally isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Be grateful you have it. I get 2 gigs a month shared by me and my wife.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is it really "unlimited" or is it like straight talk where they use AT&T towers, claim the plans unlimited and then cut you off after 2gb's of use?

I'll have to check out the tmobile option as well. I'm open to any provider (except sprint) as I live in Philly so service  generally isn't an issue.
View Quote
They claim the unlimited plan is truly unlimited, you get the full 8Mbps for all the data you want to use. Their other plans will drop you down to 128Kbps after you hit the data limit.

The other benefit to Cricket is that since it's owned by ATT you can use the phone you already have, even if it's locked to ATT.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They claim the unlimited plan is truly unlimited, you get the full 8Mbps for all the data you want to use. Their other plans will drop you down to 128Kbps after you hit the data limit.

The other benefit to Cricket is that since it's owned by ATT you can use the phone you already have, even if it's locked to ATT.
View Quote

Not a bad deal although i'll miss my 30Mbps, the savings is quite nice though. I'm not worried about unlocking as I can unlock 5 phones a year with at&t. Anyone need an unlock
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I ditched mine, a couple years ago they started throttling the speed back after 4GB so it wasnt unlimited anymore anyway.  I have 6GB, with WiFi being available damn near everywhere it isn't the issue it used to be, for me at least.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
If they dislike these plans, and they're able to alter them at will, why don't they just purge them completely? Or jack the price up to like $300 / month if they're free to alter prices but not eliminate the plans completely?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#12]
i just got the email as well..did not realize this was the second rate increase.

Ill have to rethink this unlimited stuff.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you tether using this plan or do they stop you from doing that somehow?  (I have Cricket now but don't remember if tethering is ok.)
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can you tether using this plan or do they stop you from doing that somehow?  (I have Cricket now but don't remember if tethering is ok.)
View Quote
I recall you can tether (or add tethering) on most of the plans, they don't let you tether on the unlimited plan though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my notice today. They are trying to push people off without being total d-bags, publicly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly the one thing that ARFCOM did that put cash in my pocket was convincing me to use Straight Talk.  Seriously  $45 a month and I use the hell outa my phone.  I use GPS 20-30 times a day 4-6 days a week every month and never ran outa data.  If I did I could double my data for $10 more a month plus it runs on ATT or Verizon.(Your choice)

ETA: $45 gets me 5 Gigs, $55 would get me 10 Gigs using ATT or Verizon....It's the most simple decision EVER
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Important to know

This price increase will not impact your current unlimited data speeds. You’ll still be able to enjoy the nation’s most reliable network and will only see reduced speeds if you exceed 22GB of data in a billing cycle and are in a congested area.
View Quote

They will throttle and no you can't tether without paying for it or jail breaking.

I'm rethinking the whole thing. I spend way too much money with AT&T.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I have att month to month 4g (but unlimited they just slow it down) $40 if you use auto pay. Contracts are a waste of money.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I recall you can tether (or add tethering) on most of the plans, they don't let you tether on the unlimited plan though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense I guess.  You would expect someone tethering might use much more data.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#20]
AT&T raised my grandfathered unlimited plan by $5.  I think I've gone over 3GB of data maybe once ever.

Rather than give them the extra $5 per month, I downgraded my plan and now give them $25 less.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Every time they throttled my data usage I called, complained and got $20 taken off the bill.  After the 3rd or 4th time they have not throttled me back again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Can you still upgrade your phone for $200 or are you forced to pay full price or pay monthly?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can you still upgrade your phone for $200 or are you forced to pay full price or pay monthly?
View Quote

No more $200 upgrade. You either buy it outright and unlocked or pay monthly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LOL @ ATT.  I ditched mine for a Verizon plan on Friday, so I had a good laugh over their increase email.

View Quote

And they were happy to get rid of another grandfathered person...

I am still on a grandfathered VZ unlimited plan.  They wouldn't give me anything to cancel it.  So, I "lease" it to a buddy at work who doesn't have broadband at his house (But has a killer 4G signal).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top