Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2017 5:12:17 PM EDT
Link

North Dakota legislators are mulling granting law enforcement officers a tuition waiver to help them earn a college degree, an effort to recruit and retain officers.

As introduced, Senate Bill 2054 would provide full tuition and fee support for full-time law enforcement officers to help them earn an associate or bachelor's degree at a North Dakota public college or university, provided they meet certain requirements.

Sen. Diane Larson, R-Bismarck, sponsored the bill at the request of police commanders, who report having difficulty hiring qualified officers. Randy Ziegler, deputy chief of the Bismarck Police Department, came to her with the idea after learning Nebraska has a tuition support program for law enforcement officers.
View Quote

Chief David Todd of the Fargo Police Department testified in support of the bill when it was heard by the Senate Education Committee on Jan. 10. Hiring has become more difficult, as the pool of applicants has shrunk significantly over time, he said in an interview.

"I have seen a trend," Todd said. When he applied to be an officer 30 years ago, he was one of 400 applicants for three openings. "It was a gymnasium full of people," Todd said.

Now, typically between 30 and 40 applicants sign up to take a qualifying test, and only half show up. Of those, a third "wash out" on the written or physical test, leaving only five or six viable candidates. Vacancies typically run from 4 or 5 to 10 or 11 officers at a time, the chief said.

"It's a challenge to find good candidates," Todd said.
View Quote

Because of the budget crunch, committee members talked about reducing the tuition waivers to 25 percent, with a cap of $1 million, Larson said.

"We have to do something to incentivize young people to look at law enforcement as a career," she said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It couldn't be because of shitty policies, shitty pay and a remote location?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll do it just pay for my housing including utilities.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Probably a lot of factors in the play, but the biggest I believe is that most departments here won't consider you unless you have a criminal justice degree on top of having to go to an academy. So it is more enticing to high school grads not wanting to have to take loans out for a low paying job.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Probably a lot of factors in the play, but the biggest I believe is that most departments here won't consider you unless you have a criminal justice degree on top of having to go to an academy. So it is more enticing to high school grads not wanting to have to take loans out for a low paying job.
View Quote

Weird, most agencies don't seem to care about degrees around here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been to Fargo twice for a couple 4 day trips. If there was one city on the planet I'd want to be a cop it would be Fargo. College town, hoodrats hate cold, generally clean, military presence. It's an awesome city.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been to Fargo twice for a couple 4 day trips. If there was one city on the planet I'd want to be a cop it would be Fargo. College town, hoodrats hate cold, generally clean, military presence. It's an awesome city.
View Quote

I've always wanted to visit there.   
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Automate that friggin job already
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Link
North Dakota legislators are mulling granting law enforcement officers a tuition waiver to help them earn a college degree, an effort to recruit and retain officers.
As introduced, Senate Bill 2054 would provide full tuition and fee support for full-time law enforcement officers to help them earn an associate or bachelor's degree at a North Dakota public college or university, provided they meet certain requirements.
Sen. Diane Larson, R-Bismarck, sponsored the bill at the request of police commanders, who report having difficulty hiring qualified officers. Randy Ziegler, deputy chief of the Bismarck Police Department, came to her with the idea after learning Nebraska has a tuition support program for law enforcement officers.
View Quote
Chief David Todd of the Fargo Police Department testified in support of the bill when it was heard by the Senate Education Committee on Jan. 10. Hiring has become more difficult, as the pool of applicants has shrunk significantly over time, he said in an interview.
"I have seen a trend," Todd said. When he applied to be an officer 30 years ago, he was one of 400 applicants for three openings. "It was a gymnasium full of people," Todd said.
Now, typically between 30 and 40 applicants sign up to take a qualifying test, and only half show up. Of those, a third "wash out" on the written or physical test, leaving only five or six viable candidates. Vacancies typically run from 4 or 5 to 10 or 11 officers at a time, the chief said.
"It's a challenge to find good candidates," Todd said.
View Quote
Because of the budget crunch, committee members talked about reducing the tuition waivers to 25 percent, with a cap of $1 million, Larson said.
"We have to do something to incentivize young people to look at law enforcement as a career," she said.
View Quote
View Quote

Well, helping to get a college degree is nice, but it seems like a way to help someone move onto another career. But, it does nothing for someone who is not interested in getting a degree.
If you want to attract qualified applicants and keep them, you have to increase pay.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Weird, most agencies don't seem to care about degrees around here.
View Quote
Most places say they don't care about a degree...but they do.

State law says you need 60 college credits, but don't need a degree.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, helping to get a college degree is nice, but it seems like a way to help someone move onto another career. But, it does nothing for someone who is not interested in getting a degree.
If you want to attract qualified applicants and keep them, you have to increase pay.
View Quote
Here is the education requirements for a local department in their want ad.
Must be 21 years of age, law enforcement certified by State of Wisconsin, and have valid, unrestricted Wisconsin motor vehicle operator's license.  Before commencing employment on any basis in law enforcement, an individual must have met recruit qualifications established by Law Enforcement Standards Board AND must possess at least either a two (2) year associate degree from Wisconsin vocational, technical, and adult education district or its accredited equivalent from another state or minimum of 60 fully accredited college level credits.  Prior experience as a law enforcement officer is desired.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to college in Fargo. It's the best city in the US, as far as I'm concerned. Almost no hoodrats for 300 miles, until you get to Minneapolis. It's clean here, there's piles of wealth in the area, and everyone loves the college football team. Go Bison!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Took one criminal justice class in college as an elective.

First day professor asks those in this class who are pursuing a criminal justice degree to work as a LEO to raise their hand...50% of the class raises their hand

She then states..recent studies show xx% (i think it was pretty damn high) will NOT be satisfied working as an LEO after getting a degree.

The look on their faces was sadness and shock.  

There is no god damn reason for anyone to waste money on a worthless piece of paper to be a fucking LEO, same way I feel about 87% of the rest of the jobs "requiring" a college degree.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most places say they don't care about a degree...but they do.

State law says you need 60 college credits, but don't need a degree.
View Quote

POST state?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Must be 21 years of age, law enforcement certified by State of Wisconsin, and have valid, unrestricted Wisconsin motor vehicle operator's license.  Before commencing employment on any basis in law enforcement, an individual must have met recruit qualifications established by Law Enforcement Standards Board AND must possess at least either a two (2) year associate degree from Wisconsin vocational, technical, and adult education district or its accredited equivalent from another state or minimum of 60 fully accredited college level credits.  Prior experience as a law enforcement officer is desired.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the salary range?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#15]
"The applicant must not have any tattoos that are visible when the applicant is in a standing or sitting position of rest, and must further conform to all other appearance standards established by department policy."

They get rid of that outdated rule they might find some more qualified military personnel that would be interested in the job.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Getting the professors, on board, for all the "excuses" on why the LEO keeps missing class/tests will be a challenge.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

First day professor asks those in this class who are pursuing a criminal justice degree to work as a LEO to raise their hand...50% of the class raises their hand

She then states..recent studies show xx% (i think it was pretty damn high) will NOT be satisfied working as an LEO after getting a degree.

There is no god damn reason for anyone to waste money on a worthless piece of paper to be a fucking LEO, same way I feel about 87% of the rest of the jobs "requiring" a college degree.
View Quote

This is true. The classes I took in 2003 simply do not apply today. It's not like math or science that is constant.  Laws change on a yearly basis. Supreme Court decisions change best practices. Even the way things are done within distant parts of the same agency can vary slightly.  It was a good class from a pure learning stand point, but is totally useless in the real world.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which Dept? 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's an issue all over the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some articles from just the past week or so.

Pennsylvania
Nebraska
Hawaii
New Hampshire
Texas
North Dakota
Arizona
North Carolina
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

POST state?
View Quote
No. 

I wish, my wife wants to move.  My certification isn't any good anywhere else.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

POST state?
No. 

I'm in the same boat. Although I actually like where I work. My wife just hates the weather 4 months out of the year.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No. 

View Quote

Don't come to GA.

Unless you like running away from a guy chasing you with a .410 derringer, and getting paid less than $14/hour, then by all means, come to GA. 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat. Although I actually like where I work. My wife just hates the weather 4 months out of the year.
View Quote
Same here.

I love this state, my wife does not. 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don't come to GA.

Unless you like running away from a guy chasing you with a .410 derringer, and getting paid less than $14/hour, then by all means, come to GA. 
View Quote
I have no desire to get anyplace close to GA.

I was thinking southern IN, KY, or maybe SC.

It's too fucking hot any further south.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love this state, my wife does not. 
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
If she could find a decent job it would probably help. 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#28]
How about maybe raising the starting pay?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Didn't see anything about an age limit or salary range. Do departments in need ever think about relocation reimbursement for candidates from out of state?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#30]
In for the butthurt
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The question of the hour.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lot of departments around here pay 5% to 10% more to officers that have degrees

Makes no since to me why, every officer does the same job at the end of the day and a peace of paper does not help anyone on the street.

Most take online BS collage to make the extra $ once 60 unites are completed

Funny when all they require to get hired is GED in the first place
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Ha... raise pay across the board by $20k a year instead of offering free tuition and I bet you'd get more candidates.
When winter's over and the oilfield starts up again due to Trump policies, McDonalds will be paying $20/hr for fry cooks in North Dakota.
A entry level oilfield job will be $75k+.
No way guys are going to put up with LE bullshit for fry cook wages.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Google says:

The Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-2013 Edition, an occupational guide released by the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, found the median North Dakota law enforcement salaries in 2010 to be: Police and Sheriff's Patrol Officers: $45,490.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fargo's website says this.

The starting pay is $24.53/hour ($51,022/year) plus benefits. Current or former law enforcement officers may be eligible to start at $25.26 – $25.97/hour ($52,541 - $54,018/year) depending on experience, as well as have a shortened training program.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#36]
According to their website the starting pay in Fargo is 51k and they have a step up pay scale guaranteeing you 68k in 13 years even with no promotion.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Some articles from just the past week or so.

Pennsylvania
Nebraska
Hawaii
New Hampshire
Texas
North Dakota
Arizona
North Carolina
View Quote

PA I do not place much stock in the polygraph but you have to wonder if getting rid of it is a good idea.

Will it be a race to the bottom like the NYPD.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How about maybe raising the starting pay?
View Quote

And keep the veteran pay the same. 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
According to their website the starting pay in Fargo is 51k and they have a step up pay scale guaranteeing you 68k in 13 years even with no promotion.
View Quote

I live in one of the cheapest cost of living states in the country and anyone who's halfway motivated will be making $68k+ in under 5 years in the stable (refining/processing/production) side of the oilfield ($100k+ if you choose the more volatile exploration/exploitation side).
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Don't come to GA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. 

Don't come to GA.

Hey!  Savannah paid 17.03 an hour when I left it
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm going to college in Fargo. It's the best city in the US, as far as I'm concerned. Almost no hoodrats for 300 miles, until you get to Minneapolis. It's clean here, there's piles of wealth in the area, and everyone loves the college football team. Go Bison!
View Quote

Your fastfood places are glorious. No shitbags behind the counter, clean, fast service. I thought I was on another planet. The tacoBell by the Fargodome is the best in America

Caught some tailgating for one of the games on Dec 5th. The turnout was INSANE and it was 22 degrees.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Better than starting pay here.  Sounds like a good place to be an LEO....nothing happens.

The cold and short motorcycle season would suck ass though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And keep the veteran pay the same. 
View Quote
It's true most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's more than what I made when I got out of LE in 2013.

16 years in LE, and I made $31K.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No way guys are going to put up with LE bullshit for fry cook wages.
View Quote

"But LE is a calling!"
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Better than starting pay here.  Sounds like a good place to be an LEO....nothing happens.

The cold and short motorcycle season would suck ass though.
View Quote

You can snowmobile forever.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its not that good
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The starting pay is $24.53/hour ($51,022/year) plus benefits. Current or former law enforcement officers may be eligible to start at $25.26 – $25.97/hour ($52,541 - $54,018/year) depending on experience, as well as have a shortened training program.

Which means what exactly? Compared to the cost of living. ND doesn't strike me as being a cheap place to live. Hell, they were paying Walmart employees $20/hr+ just a couple years ago with the oil boom.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top