Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2017 11:23:32 AM EDT
Fast forward to 1:10-ish to see how it's done.

harley davidson owners ride off cliff
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Harley versus sport bikes?

No matter who loses, America wins.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate to see video of fellow riders going down. Even if they're on Harleys.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Hill Country FTW.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#4]
"Honey, slow down so I can get a look at some--... CRUNCH!!"
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Why are you trying to break gun owners into groups and pit them against each other ? Most motorcyclists   like gun owners know there are strength in numbers and we don't  care what you ride and that most riders are great people . Maybe these riders never rode this kind of terrain before and they made errors I'm sure you've never done that but it does happen
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate to see video of riders so clueless they put themselves and others in danger just by pulling out of the driveway.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Second rider took a dive just to make the first guy feel better about himself. Now that's a friend right there!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Wtf happened there?

They laid the bike down on purpose?

That's what the old timers always told me to do, use your back. Take to stop so you can lay it down in a hurry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Second rider took a dive just to make the first guy feel better about himself. Now that's a friend right there!
View Quote

He forgot the golden rule. He went right where he was looking.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to teach the MSF courses in Jacksonville Florida back in the mid 90's.  We taught the basic course to Military and military contractors who had to be on base.  We also taught the advanced course to the .mil, contractors and the Jacksonville Jaguars players. Civilian riders had to complete the course in order to ride their bikes on base while military members had to complete the course in order to own a bike.

The best part of the course was watching these old grizzled Harley riders talk about their 45 years of riding and bitching because they have to take a beginners course.

Then the guy who is on his first bike and has been riding for a week listens and does what we try to teach them and then breezes through the course.  The old grizzled rider did not listen and would bomb out of the course horribly.

The best part was what we had 2 cones set up at the start point and two cones about 30 feet away inline with the first two cones.  (..      ..) <-like this.  The rider would leave through the first two cones go out about 25-30 yards and simply do a wide U-turn and exit through the other two cones.  The whole time we are screaming "LOOK THROUGH THE TURN".  The new guy would hesitate and finally turn his head and the bike would follow in a tight little u-turn.  The old Harley guys would absolutely refuse to look at any place other than their front tire and eventually they'd get through it with some huge wobbly u-turn.

Not all of them were like that but most were.  We did have some Harley guys comes through the course that could rides circles around everyone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why are you trying to break gun owners into groups and pit them against each other ? Most motorcyclists   like gun owners know there are strength in numbers and we don't  care what you ride and that most riders are great people . Maybe these riders never rode this kind of terrain before and they made errors I'm sure you've never done that but it does happen
View Quote

Unless I missed something the two subjects in the video aren't exactly promoting motorcycling.
The "kind of terrain" they were on was a drainage ditch. Quite common near roads. I'll admit to being weak in that discipline of riding as well. Before they Yeager'd they were on what appears to be a standard country road. The "hole in the road" alluded to by Thing 1 must have been edited out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUB2darr5mU
View Quote

for chrome users
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wtf happened there?

That's what the old timers always told me to do, use your back. Take to stop so you can lay it down in a hurry.
View Quote

My guess would be Pa was nervous about taking the corner so he slowed down too much. After he lost forward momentum, he didn't regain control and took a spill into the ditch. The guy in the front probably did the same. I would bet a paycheck that this is there first bike and they have very little experience.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Why didn't anybody pick up the bikes?
Never been around a crash when riding street, but dirt, the first thing once you know the guy is OK, AND, you stop laughing enough to get your strength back

PICK up the bike
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Never been around a crash when riding street, but dirt, the first thing once you know the guy is OK, AND, you stop laughing enough to get your strength back

PICK up the bike
View Quote

Bikes like 1000 pounds, they gonna need a wrecker
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#17]
That sucked, but your thread title sucks harder.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#18]
30 20'29.74" N X 98 08'13.06" W  24700 Hamilton Pool Road on 3238

It's one of only two tight'ish turns on that road
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#19]
And it looked like his buddy was turning around to help his downed comrade, and rolled it right off the edge. inexperienced guys trying to ride 800 lb bikes
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

PICK up the bike
View Quote

One or both bikes had capsized after running aground. Those things weigh something like 900+ lbs so getting it upright, on an angle, in a ditch, from inverted would take several really strong people.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

PICK up the bike
View Quote

I'm guessing the incline is steeper than the video makes it look, plus chrome plated turds are heavy as fuck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Wilford Brimley is a Harley rider. Figures.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

PICK up the bike
View Quote

I don't get this either
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That sucked, but your thread title sucks harder.
View Quote

Agreed. Was in a hurry.

I have no problem with HDs. Owned two in the past.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad to see they're not trying to get them back on the road themselves.  They're gonna need a wrecker!

I do kinda like Harleys, but Jay-hosefat, they are heavy bitches!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

PICK up the bike
View Quote

get it upright, check it out, crank it up, and give it some gas, and climb it back up on the road

not with those cruisers... I think they tip the scale at around 900 pounds, gonna take a wrecker to get them out of there

still at the second guy he really worked hard to stuff that bike over the side like his friend
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wtf happened there?

View Quote

Kinda look like a bunch of gravel on the road right before the spot where he fell. Whoever that was that fell down after was probably just fixated on him and didn't realize what he was doing as he went into the woods.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe these riders never rode this kind of terrain before
View Quote

Paved roads? As another poster said, probably their first motorcycle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Kinda look like a bunch of gravel on the road right before the spot where he fell. Whoever that was that fell down after was probably just fixated on him and didn't realize what he was doing as he went into the woods.
View Quote

Sand, but it looks like they both don't understand "slow in, fast out". even on a reducing radius turn, you can add judicious amounts of throttle to maintain stability.  It looks like they braked, and either continued braking or added no throttle on an UPHILL turn.  On hugely heavy bikes.  Gravity never forgets you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Full dress, touring motorcycles are heavy and make poor beginners bikes. 

Would this be any less stupid if they were riding Gold Wings or some other big, heavy tourer?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't understand the appeal of riding a 1000 lb bike on a road like that, it would be the equivalent of driving through the alps in a dump truck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't get this either
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PICK up the bike

I don't get this either

Pick up your own fucking bike.   Ill call for medical, ill try to stop bleeding, ill stick around till emergency comes.   But dont give a shit about your 2 wheeled land barge you dumped in a ditch cause you cant handle it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't understand the appeal of riding a 1000 lb bike on a road like that, it would be the equivalent of driving through the alps in a dump truck.
View Quote

They're not as nimble or as light as a sport bike, but you can still throw them around and have fun. You just go a lot slower.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They're not as nimble or as light as a sport bike, but you can still throw them around and have fun. You just go a lot slower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Same challenge, lower speed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I surprised they made such an error. They're riding Harleys and wearing Harley leathers so they must be pretty hard core. I mean, clearly they're sponsored by Harley, right? They might even be Hell's Angels.

Top men.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pick up your own fucking bike.   Ill call for medical, ill try to stop bleeding, ill stick around till emergency comes.   But dont give a shit about your 2 wheeled land barge you dumped in a ditch cause you cant handle it.
View Quote

I only ride with guys I know, so I would try and help pick up the bike
Are they REALLY 900#?

have never messed with a big Harley, I know they are pretty heavy, but 900?

ETA ,just looked up a Goldwing 799# stock, WOW no wonder they have a reverse gear.

LOL my trials bike is under 150#, I think 138# dry but it's been awhile since I bought it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Inexperienced harley riders. The 2nd "dumper", you can see he/she has no clue on how to stop properly...possibly a panic stop after seeing the 1st one go over.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Loud pipes save lives.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I can't even imagine what taking a tight corner would be like on a 800lb bike or heavier. 400lb is the heaviest I've rode. Doesn't seem like twisties would be any fun on one of those heavy pigs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I can't even imagine what taking a tight corner would be like on a 800lb bike or heavier. 400lb is the heaviest I've rode. Doesn't seem like twisties would be any fun on one of those heavy pigs.
View Quote

On a well-balanced bike like a Chieftain, it's easy as shit.

Provided you actually countersteer instead of trying to "lean" the bike around the corner or some faggotry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUB2darr5mU
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo!  nailed it

lol quote of the day
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Ventura PD Motor Quinn Redeker - San Diego County Motor Officers Assoc. Competition 2011
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

On a well-balanced bike like a Chieftain, it's easy as shit.

Provided you actually countersteer instead of trying to "lean" the bike around the corner or some faggotry.
View Quote

Too many riders don't know that you steer in the opposite direction of where you want to go.

I was taught to ride a bike back in the early 1970s and everyone always said "just lean your hips into the turn".

It's a bad habit I didn't break until I took Kieth Code's Superbike School a decade later.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yah, I saw that and thought: WTF?
I bet the first rider did a little peg-scrape and it freaked him into the ditch. The second "rider" thought he could stop before he ran out of road.
ETA: that's why I like to ride the Hill County on Sundays. EARLY morning Sundays.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I know all the guys in that vid, except the HD riders.

They only said something about the first to go in the ditch was going too slow and target fixated...as did #2.

The non HD riders are damned good riders for being from Tx.

One of them owns Motohouston.com....and his wife is damned hot. ( SolRacer
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Bingo!  nailed it

lol quote of the day
View Quote

This guy makes it look easy, but not my cup of tea.

deals gap on a goldwing/gl1800 by yellow wolf dragons tail
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I surprised they made such an error. They're riding Harleys and wearing Harley leathers so they must be pretty hard core. I mean, clearly they're sponsored by Harley, right? They might even be Hell's Angels.

Top men.
View Quote

Exhausts clearly not loud enough
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top