Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The only people who support tariffs are morons, economic illiterates and people who want to hinder the economy. I'd like to believe that most here fall into the 2nd category. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's right.  Tariffs = safe space for shitty products.

The only people who support tariffs are morons, economic illiterates and people who want to hinder the economy. I'd like to believe that most here fall into the 2nd category. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings.
So you mean almost all countries we do business with?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
American vehicles are like American women. If I needed to pull a heavy trailer I'd get one
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to say I'm loving my gti , love everything about it .
interior styling and how it handles , very impressed with it &
I,ve had my fair share of cars be it American Japanese or German .
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My Mercedes is much better designed then my Ford.  Perhaps if you do some research we won't need to give you a detailed explanation on why high performance vehicles typically require more maintenance then lower performing ones.  Here's a hint though -- it's the same principle with high performance American cars.
View Quote

I'm going to disagree.

BMW M3 vs. Corvette.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

You support allowing foreign countries to take advantage of us in trade deals, tariff our products without reprisal, and allow our jobs to flee overseas in the face of this. Basically you want the US to be the world's patsy because of a fantasy of FREE TRADE! that never existed. Sorry I hope I hurt your feelings.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's because most BMWs you see in America where built in Spartanburg SC not Germany.  They aren't imported till you are in the higher end cars, except the 3 series wagon those are still built in Germany.

Same thing applies to other foreign cars manufactured in the US. It's a well known fact in the auto business that quality control goes to hell when the manufacturing is brought to the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially BMW.

Broken
Most
Weeks

Everyone that I know that has owned BMWs complains about the quality over time.  Great new, shit for the long haul.

The number of BMW courtesy cars running around places like Greenville and Atlanta is somewhat shocking.  My brother had a friend that worked for one of the very big dealerships in ATL, and that guy jokingly (sort of) said that you should really buy two BMWs, so one will hopefully be working while the other is in the shop.

That's because most BMWs you see in America where built in Spartanburg SC not Germany.  They aren't imported till you are in the higher end cars, except the 3 series wagon those are still built in Germany.

Same thing applies to other foreign cars manufactured in the US. It's a well known fact in the auto business that quality control goes to hell when the manufacturing is brought to the US.

Really...
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Let's be honest with ourselves: the only American vehicles that even make sense in America are pickups, BOF SUVs, and muscle cars. Pretty much everything else is garbage that's outclassed by the Asian and European manufacturers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:45:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you think that BMW diesels didn't cheat like VW, I have some bad news for you...
Pro tip: They all cheat, as the EPA tests are easy for an ECU to detect, thus practically everything with an ECU has the ability to run a "defeat" cal automatically during testing as soon as it sees the proper parameters to determine if a test is taking place. VW is the only one to get "caught" recently  so far.
View Quote

All passenger car diesels are being looked at thoroughly for this, although all the other manufacturers are denying it.  I know some Cruze diesel owners tried to make the claim GM cheated in their diesels, and now Chrysler is getting the same treatment regarding the diesels in their Jeeps.  If BMW did cheat on this car too it will be discovered and I will get to drive yet another car depreciation free when they are forced to buy it back.  I only see it as a win for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:48:19 AM EDT
[#9]
He's right, you know...

My 10 year old BMW 3 won't keep up with the newest American pony cars (or maybe even back then), but it's held up a lot better then the Americans over 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:59:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:05:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He's right, you know...

My 10 year old BMW 3 won't keep up with the newest American pony cars (or maybe even back then), but it's held up a lot better then the Americans over 10 years.
View Quote

Right, and that must be why your BMW's resale value is shit. 
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:31:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Right, and that must be why your BMW's resale value is shit. 
View Quote

I dunno about that.  I just looked up 10 year old BMW 335s for sale, and a 2007 BMW 335 is still worth more than my wifes 2011 Honda Crosstour EX-L.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:35:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#14]
guys come on...bmw bulit over 400k cars last year in just the one SC plant, over 1k cars a day.  That one plant sent 70% of the cars FROM the US to overseas-there only about 200k car a year imported to the US from BMW overseas.  So there is a 200k net gain of exports from the USA of BMW vehicles to other countries.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He's right, you know...

View Quote

Maybe you should race it in a different class?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm going to disagree.

BMW M3 vs. Corvette.
View Quote

You can disagree all day long and still be wrong.  Further, why are you comparing a Corvette to an M3 and not a low-performance Chevrolet?  Clearly you've never seen what a Corvette costs to work on vs a Cruze.

Further, an M3 doesn't require more maintenance then a Corvette.  It's just more costly and most of that is due to the simple economics since the production numbers of the Vette are more than triple.  They pump out ~30k vette's a year which is over double the production of all BMW M cars combined.

Production of E90/E92 M3's was just shy of 50,000 total cars for the entire run worldwide.  GM produced over 200,000 C6 Vettes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You can disagree all day long and still be wrong.  Further, why are you comparing a Corvette to an M3 and not a low-performance Chevrolet?  Clearly you've never seen what a Corvette costs to work on vs a Cruze.

Further, an M3 doesn't require more maintenance then a Corvette.  It's just more costly and most of that is due to the simple economics since the production numbers of the Vette are more than triple.  They pump out ~30k vette's a year which is over double the production of all BMW M cars combined.

Production of E90/E92 M3's was just shy of 50,000 total cars for the entire run worldwide.  GM produced over 200,000 C6 Vettes.
View Quote

Man you are making excuses. My friend needed a new valve body in a 328. The body was 1200 plus it needed valves and the whole transmission needed to be cracked open. Turned out to be a 4500 job. My old Saturn SC2 was 650. Corvettes could (almost) buy a brand new factory performance transmission rated to 700ft-lbs. You would need another $94.

And I have a vette Z06. Window regulator with motor is $60. BMW, $200 or more. There is nothing I can find that wouldn't be cheaper and easier to fix on my car vs a comparable BMW of any type. Maybe tires.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Let's be honest with ourselves: the only American vehicles that even make sense in America are pickups, BOF SUVs, and muscle cars. Pretty much everything else is garbage that's outclassed by the Asian and European manufacturers.
View Quote

Uhhh....do you even Cadillac Bro?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or large semis, heavy equipment and aircraft.

I'd even give a shout out to the Buick series...yeah, not lots of pride of ownership, but talk about a car for the traveling salesman or middle class family. Low cost of ownership, reliable, comfortable.

Twenty years post an nuclear war, and some Mad Max figure would be shoe-horning a 3800 into his ride.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Man you are making excuses. My friend needed a new valve body in a 328. The body was 1200 plus it needed valves and the whole transmission needed to be cracked open. Turned out to be a 4500 job. My old Saturn SC2 was 650. Corvettes could (almost) buy a brand new factory performance transmission rated to 700ft-lbs. You would need another $94.

And I have a vette Z06. Window regulator with motor is $60. BMW, $200 or more. There is nothing I can find that wouldn't be cheaper and easier to fix on my car vs a comparable BMW of any type. Maybe tires.
View Quote

Cheaper parts doesn't equal more reliable.

You seem to be creating a false argument.  No one claimed American car parts weren't cheaper.  That doesn't mean American cars are better or more reliable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You seem to be creating a false argument.  No one claimed American car parts weren't cheaper.  That doesn't mean American cars are better or more reliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes it does!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lol.. that's pretty funny coming from Germany
View Quote

The Germans should start beating us in wars before they can start lecturing us.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:25:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Germans should start beating us in wars before they can start lecturing us.
View Quote

The Germans cannot fathom how a bunch of Rednecks got a huge one over on them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Correction, the Japanese and the Koreans make the best cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say what you want about them but Germans and Japs make the best cars.
FerFAL

Correction, the Japanese and the Koreans make the best cars.

Koreans are a negative.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:56:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He must have forgotten about the whole Volkswagon scandal.
That said, he might want to STFU.
View Quote
Or, he forgot about the VW Jetta III, Golf III, Jetta IV, Golf IV, Jetta V and Golf V. All Mexican-made Volkswagens. I hated my Jetta III GL. I had two other VWs before that and they were great.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:13:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd even give a shout out to the Buick series...yeah, not lots of pride of ownership, but talk about a car for the traveling salesman or middle class family. Low cost of ownership, reliable, comfortable.

Twenty years post an nuclear war, and some Mad Max figure would be shoe-horning a 3800 into his ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep Porsche couldn't even make a water cooled engine that wouldn't grenade itself for the longest time.

BMW uses modules for everything instead of one EMM for everything.

VW always have some electrical BS going on.

I would say that ZF trans are solid, which they are, but american OEMs make better trans for cheaper.

Literally, the only thing that Euros used to do better than the US was put in nicer interiors.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:12:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He's right, you know...

View Quote

How many miles on your odometer? Do you actually drive or do you baby the thing?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:15:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He must have forgotten about the whole Volkswagon scandal.

That said, he might want to STFU.
View Quote

Ya that whole "cheating"...where mileage was awesome AND air quality still went up...
The who "green" eco-nazism bullshit is a humanity hating death cult
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only after changing the shitty lower intake manifold gaskets from plastic to metal backed, fixing the EGR stovepipe and tossing the plastic heater elbows to replace them with aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Germany should build a better military instead of relying on ours.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I do realize it was an emissions issue.
My point was, if the cars were that good to begin with, why cheat?
The guy is spracking off about us building a better car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize the VW scandal  is about emissions cheat that actually benefits the consumer, right?  The cheat put in place violates the Federal emissions regulations by failing them but results in better fuel economy for the owners. To pass the emissions results in engine mapping that reduces fuel mileage.....

I do realize it was an emissions issue.
My point was, if the cars were that good to begin with, why cheat?
The guy is spracking off about us building a better car.
It was built correctly to begin with.  The US emission standards are fucked.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Reliability is great. That's why everyone says that an out of warranty BMW is a good buy.

BMW was beat in reliability by top car makers like Toyota, Kia, Mazda, Buick, and the exorbitantly expensive luxury brand Hyundai.

What BMW and most German cars suffer is over complication of design. So you engine might run but the door that's giving you problems is a $900 fix because some nitwit put an entire ECU in for locks and windows. When you pay 4X the amount for parts you need that car to be 5x more reliable to make up for the difference, which none of the German Marques do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#33]
so if the BMW is such shit, why is Trump worried about them-wouldn't the free market reflect their shitty quality and terrible reputation and expense...or is Trump and some of you doing us ALL a favor, and saving idiots that by bad cars,  from themselves?  Why Do we need protection from  bad cars?

btw here is my shit box

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#34]
let the market decide-btw not one issue in 2 years but I keep hearing these "issues" are otw
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
so if the BMW is such shit, why is Trump worried about them-wouldn't the free market reflect their shitty quality and terrible reputation and expense...or is Trump and some of you doing us ALL a favor, and saving idiots that by bad cars,  from themselves?  Why Do we need protection from  bad cars?

btw here is my shit box
View Quote

Looks cool, wonder if it runs.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

btw here is my shit box
View Quote

To quote PT Barnum, "there's a sucker born every minute"
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The 'Volkswagen scandal' was just a scam on emissions, not quality.

Fucking cars shouldn't even have government mandated emissions control system, as far as I'm concerned.  If the consumer wants it, it should be an options package.  Then let's see how many of these 'SAVE THE EARTH, enlightened progressive' types pay out of their own god damn pocket for it when it's not mandated.
View Quote

I hate clean air too.

Let's all choke on smog, it's freedom-y.

The only true freedom is where everyone destroys everything because they can.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#38]

Aint that always the way with trade disputes?  It's just two chickenfuckers sitting around saying the other guy is a pervert.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The 'Volkswagen scandal' was just a scam on emissions, not quality.

Fucking cars shouldn't even have government mandated emissions control system, as far as I'm concerned.  If the consumer wants it, it should be an options package.  Then let's see how many of these 'SAVE THE EARTH, enlightened progressive' types pay out of their own god damn pocket for it when it's not mandated.
View Quote

Agreed.  100%
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm going to disagree.

BMW M3 vs. Corvette.
View Quote

Not even the Corvette anymore, the Camaro is fully capable of taking on British Motor Works.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of the small Chevy cars are literally European and Asian built.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

btw here is my shit box
View Quote

"Free Trade" is only going one way. Same with Japan.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#43]
German dude is right from a consumer point of view.

When I want to buys something I look for the best product I can afford within my budget.

If someone starts to artificially fuck about with the prices of these good and forces a position where I have to buy an inferior product, but at an artificially maintained price, then I am going to be pissed.

Trump needs to be careful with this import taxation stuff because it could backfire on him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Meh.  I'm guessing "reliability" isn't part of the German definition of "Better".
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Goering talked that same shit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
German dude is right from a consumer point of view.

When I want to buys something I look for the best product I can afford within my budget.

If someone starts to artificially fuck about with the prices of these good and forces a position where I have to buy an inferior product, but at an artificially maintained price, then I am going to be pissed.

Trump needs to be careful with this import taxation stuff because it could backfire on him.
View Quote

"Reciprocal Import Taxation".

You put a 19% tariff, you get a 19% tariff. Including all parts brought to the US.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not even the Corvette anymore, the Camaro is fully capable of taking on British Motor Works.
View Quote

That new camaro is amazing...the time it set on the Nurburgring WHICH IS IN GERMANY  was totally amazing... some of you should check it out...it got under 7:30

https://youtu.be/FrFnrcpBj5k
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep Porsche couldn't even make a water cooled engine that wouldn't grenade itself for the longest time.

BMW uses modules for everything instead of one EMM for everything.

VW always have some electrical BS going on.

I would say that ZF trans are solid, which they are, but american OEMs make better trans for cheaper.
Literally, the only thing that Euros used to do better than the US was put in nicer interiors.
View Quote

Huh?  The Mezger motor is basically their first attempt and still regarded as about the best motor they ever made.  If it wasn't for emissions regulations they might still be making it.

I'm assuming you're referring to the M96 they put in cheaper cars.  That engine was designed from the beginning to be a low-cost alternative to the motors that proceeded it.  Grenading it wasn't the notorious problem, rear-main seal and to a lesser extent IMS leaks were.  Those rarely resulted in the engines "grenading."
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Note to Germany: You make lots of BMWs in South Carolina.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Nothing more unreliable and expensive to fix than a European car that's out of warranty.

You can get a new Impala that will go 300,000 miles when properly maintained and parts will always be cheap.

Fuck them.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top