Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2001 9:50:39 AM EDT
I have escaped from NYC 5 yr. ago and came here to run from the police abuse, moronic laws, government corruption, etc. and the all those are following me here now. As far as I know Arizona is a "red neck" state where people are conservative and take time to think before do something. I guess I was wrong...
This past week a moron legislator from Mesa is pushing a law that would make a class 1 misdemeanor any uncooperation with the LEO.  !!!? The problem is that the people are going for that. What about my "5th", what about "have the right to remain silence". What is considered uncooperation? If I break the law do I loose my right to remain silent?
-"Yes Sir, you have the right to remain silent but if you choose to do so we will charge you with a misdemeanor"
What about a LEO  in front of my door. If I don’t want him to come inside without a warrant, can he say "if you refuse to cooperate and let me in now I will charge you with a misdemeanor."
Wake up people and smell the communism. Although I was born in Italy, I have spent a number of years in Romania during the worst communist regime. Only there this type of abuse was legal. Most of you don’t know what communism is but take it from me whom I lived there, we are running head first and blindfolded into it.
More than a month ago I was working at a cellsite in the open field at about 2:00AM surrounded by two 200Watt halogen lights with the gate wide open holding a voltmeter. Right behind me came a cop with his gun pointed at me and yelled  "don’t move, get down on the ground..." and shinned his flash light right in my eyes. What happened with "hello Sir, I am a PO and stopped to see what is going on since is so much light here". Where is the law that states that a gun should be drawn ONLY if the life of the officer or a civilian is in eminent danger. I guess a voltmeter is a very dangerous weapon.
I am starting to become very anti-gun as long as it applies to "law" enforcers.
I am waiting for your input.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I came home one evening to find air conditioner repairmen on the roof of the library across the street being held at gunpoint. Seemed like a bit of an over reaction, I could see drawing guns if there were questionable activity on the roof of a bank or a gunstore, but a library?

On the other hand, I can understand why LEOs would want to always err on the side of caution, given the dumbasses they have to deal with every day.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Dacon, I couldn't agree with you more.

Overall, I think we're doing best in Texas and a few states in the South, like South Carolina. Everywhere else seems to be going downhill fast.

----------
www.AnotherPundit.com
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Cops have been doing what you describe for years, somebody just gave them an excuse to the same thing lawfully.
I dont like it and fully understand your point, but I have learned to steer clear of places that will put me in that position. The longer I can go without having to speak to a cop the better. They have a tough job, and could use some help from the law abiding citizen. Personaly I wouldnt be a cop for any reason.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
"The longer I can go without having to speak to a cop the better."

Amen to that!
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate to say it, but another good thing to do is dress as "formally" as you can at all times -- i.e., wear a coat and tie, or collared shirt, etc. Of course, it's pandering to the cops to a certain extent, but they're Faar less likely to mess with you if you look like you might be intelligent enough, wealthy enough, and/or powerful enough to get them fired or sued over misconduct. I hate to have to say that, but it's true.

-----------------------------
http://www.anotherpundit.com/
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Two yrs ago I got pulled over at 5:00 am on the way to work doing 35 on a posted 30mph street (less than a mile from my house) However speed wasn't the issue.I was asked if my vehicle ('85 El Camino ) was involved in a high speed chase that morning,which of course I wasn't.After he made his call in ,he stated I was clean & to have a nice day.No gun was drawn on me.The situation did not bother me at all,he was doing his job. ( now if he had ticketed for doing 35mph,then I would have had a problem whith that )

I've talked to several LEO's at my place of business and the conversation almost always turns to guns.I ask them how they like their Glocks & then tell them my choice of carry & they never bat an eye.

My point is that i've never had a bad experience in my 46 yrs with LEO's.  However I understand the concern and don't
want more laws restricting our rights as citizens........
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Cop bashers.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I am not a cop basher. But I will not let ANY cop bash me...
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#9]
If you dont want "bashed" then dont do something or put yourself in a position to require you to be "bashed."  However, if violating the law is your game then I'm sure you will get to test your stated position.  If you dont violate the law then you have little to worry about.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#10]
He had a gun pointed at him without violating a law. Isn't that worth worrying about?
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Just be lucky your not in california.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh Ya...GunToter, (If you dont violate the law then you have little to worry about).
How 'bout in the NY subway standing and reading the paper in the center of the car being hit from behind in the back of the head with the butt of a gun by a COP that belived that my pager under my t-shirt looked like a gun...
How 'bout countless times being stoped by COPS with guns pointed at me while I was comming home from work at 2AM or 3AM, with my hands in the open smoking a cigarette...
How 'bout gun poined at my head by a COP while I was doing my job, in the open surrounded by light and holding a voltmeter...
Those are only a few examples of the many. How did a violate the law to be warranted a gun poined at me by a HOOLIGAN PUNK LOOSER WITH A BADGE AND A GUN PAID FROM MY STOLEN MONEY, WHOSE FAMILY IS IN SHAMBLES AND HIS MENTAL STABILITY IS IN QUESTION.
Do not dare to accuse me if you don't know the facts.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#13]
If it weren't for the cops, we would not be living in the democracy we have today.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 2:09:10 AM EDT
[#14]
There are good cops, and there are bad cops.  Without laws, civilization would be shot in the a$$.  Unfortunately, it has gotten to the point in this country where the prudent citizen must view the police as just an extension of a beaurocracy gone haywire.  Do we dare go unarmed while there are police freely walking the streets?
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 2:49:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't sign off here until I first apologize to the GOOD cops for that last statement.  I have an enormous respect and unending admiration for the good ones.  No point in calling me a cop basher.  We have one in the family ......the good kind.  And guess what.  He agrees with me.  The problem is, they all look alike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top