BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I built this to ride to work last summer.  Can't wait for warm weather again.

Attachment Attached File
View Quote
Those front pouches look familiar.

Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#3]
something like this would be awesome!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
For us old guys.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
something like this would be awesome!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318573/wowbikemotor-124052.JPG
View Quote
WOW
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What did you use for a bottom bracket crank set.

I noticed that most of the bikes in the pictures are using the off the shelf single gear for cruiser bike.

Would a Shimano FC-M552-L MTB crankset like this, fit on this frame?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What did you use for a bottom bracket crank set.

I noticed that most of the bikes in the pictures are using the off the shelf single gear for cruiser bike.

Would a Shimano FC-M552-L MTB crankset like this, fit on this frame?

My first one was just a cheap china girl kit I got off ebay that I bolted to an old Diamond Back mountain bike.  So I used the OEM crank set and the standard "rag joint" sprocket mount on the left rear.  I don't know what type of crank set those dedicated frames use.  If you're going to run gears, you should look at the shifter kit from Sick Bike Parts.

I also built one using a 50cc Huasheng 4-stroke and rear friction drive from That's Dax that worked surprisingly well.  Basically it's like having a little weed whacker motor sitting on your rear rack, and when you want to go you just lower the bracket so the roller contacts the rear tire and you're off!  (Note about Dax - His web page looks funky.  That's because the entire business is just one guy named Duane who does all the work.  The phone number he lists on the page is his personal number, which he answers.  You can call him up and ask him questions.  I've bought hundreds of dollars of stuff from him and never had a problem.  Duane is a good guy.)

My next project is a Manhattan Adult Trike with a Sick Bike shifter kit and Huasheng motor.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally we skip the fenders on motorized bikes.  What happens over time is the vibration from the engine cracks the fenders and they break off.  Traveling under power at 30+MPH and having your wheel eat a fender means you get launched over the bars.

Seriously - fenders are killers.
Ouch.
Was that plastic or metal?

I got a rock in the shin from the front wheel. Being diabetic. I still have the mark from it two months later. That is why I was looking at fenders. Maybe I should be wearing two leg shields.

On the other hand I just saved some money

The standard metal bicycle fenders are the killers.  It wasn't me, but I've read other stories on the MB boards about fender failures.  Here's one -

Another Fender Crash Story  An excerpt:

You've heard me and others preach about the hazards of running fenders on a motorized bike. I do use fenders, front and rear but I've always been extremely cautious about how they're mounted and diligent about checking them often for security.

Nevertheless I'm setting here with my left leg in a temporary cast waiting for the swelling to go down so the docs can determine if I'll need surgery or not. I have a crack in the knee joint of my tibia, road rash on my foot and elbows and, It hurts!

I have little recall as to what happened except that I was doing about 22 to 25 mph when I heard a loud metallic 'BANG' and in half a second I was sliding on the ground, the bike on my left leg and facing backwards from the direction I was going.

The rear fender was laying in the street thirty feet behind where me and the bike came to rest. See photo. Obviously it was the culprit.

[...]

The crash happened so fast. One second I was riding, the next I was sliding on my side. Luckly traffic stopped and several good people helped me get the bike up and off the road and I called my wife who came a got me and the bike home then to the ER because she's a nurse and knew something bad was going on with my knee. She was right.

So mount fenders at your own risk!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
OK. Card board and rubber bands may be safer than buying fenders. I already am wearing a brace on my right knee for a torn PCL that cant be repaired. I dont want any more braces.

Transfer money for fenders and the Shimano crankset to buy the shifter kit that has the bottom crank kit in it.

Just joined MBcom

Misspelled my login name
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The pictures of the damage was pretty interesting to look at.

Even a bike dealer wont sell or install on a MB.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I rode one around for an entire summer, just because.  Groceries, trips to the hardware store, range, etc.

Was a hoot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I rode one around for an entire summer, just because.  Groceries, trips to the hardware store, range, etc.

http://www.jurai.net/~winter/mtb/img/_IMG_3244.JPG

Was a hoot.
View Quote
Just when I thought I was bad.

I had a gallon of OJ and milk, two 24 pack water on the front of the bike, Both saddle bags with eggs bacon, top of the rear rack had assorted groceries with bread. Steering was down right dangerous. The bike wanted to tip over.

But really. Lumber. Thats just nuts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Just been looking at a new helmet with a shield. Lots to choose from. This may take a while.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Where ared your bags from?
View Quote

Amazon.  Search for cloth saddle bags.  I think they were $20.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
This would be nice for my mountain bike. It would make it easier to store in the garage or park at the store bike rack.
It would most likely be dangerous with a motorize bicycle of any kind.

Folding handle bar. $48

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:07:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Been looking at the prices of the shifter kits.

WOW!! While they do have parts needed to nuild a standard unit without the shifter it does get pricey. But it allows the bike to have more control over the engine and is better in the long run. Will have to wait to get that and the engine when I get my refund.

On the other hand. Since I have a frame and a front fork on the way I have ordered Shimano MF-TZ3 Tourney Freewheel (15-34 Mega 7 ) and a Shimano Rear Derailleur RD-TX55. From the looks of it The shifter kit prevents you from having the front derailleur therefore only having a 7 speed rather than a 21 speed bike.

Also I could not find a real adult banana seat set. Meaning old style BMX banana set made for kids. I would hate to be going down the road a have cheap mounts break on me. I was going o use a motor cycle seat and bracket but that got expensive real quick and that is before making a support bracket. Cost got well over $100. I was looking for the seat here. But its a moped seat with a fabricated mounting system. I dont want spend lots of time and money on a seat. Besides. The width on the front of that seat would make it very hard to pedal.
BTW. Those are 26x3 inch fat tires.

So I found I found this under cruiser bikes on Ebay. The seat, seat pouch, post and saddle bags cost less than $100 on Ebay, The seat on Amazon goes for $120 and the little seat pouch is $26. Didnt find the saddle bags.

So. Would you buy the following?

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry. Did not include pictures of optional motorcycle seat .
If I do go all the way and buy this seat I would have a rear mounting bracket mounted to the upper brake mounts on the frame.
I may still go this way but I need the frame to figure this out. I have a temporary bicycle seat and post until everything is running ok mechanically.

Motorcycle Solo seat base plate with 3 inch spring. The front would be anchored to the seat post then the rear o the brake post on the frame.

Large Harley Davidson Chopper Solo Brown Vinyl 17 wide 16 long this seat is narrow in the front . this will make it easier to pedal with less friction to my thighs. Cant be any worst than those banana seats.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#17]
The motor cycle bags that I was looking at

6 deep 11 high 18 long (on the bottom) I wont order any until the drive train is all mounted along with a rear rack/

Optional slightly smaller found by a friend. He also recommend a trailer. Jolly Joker.

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Found this video of a Shyjawk with a shufter kit.

Holy crap!!  55 MPH.

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have an old frame, Murray, or something like it. But I've been thinking about doing a Whizzer kit on it. Those ones in the pics were cool, but I like the retro cruiser frame. Your post is making it harder to resist. I got to many sticks in the fire now though. But I do want one one day.
Maybe put one on this. 52 Schwinn
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10418392_1037063129694876_4409701295995223379_n.jpg?oh=39ce823d9a5cb0f238962c31558e40c0&oe=5912CF2A
View Quote

Right off the bat you're going to need better brakes than just the rear coaster brake. Take a good look at original Whizzers to get ideas.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I have built a few choppers back in the 70's and early 80's...
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Motorized Bikes Disaster Builds Edition
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I have watched quite a few videos in the paste 3 days. I found that these guys. Sinister Custom Cycle, Bike Berry,  and Houstan Motorized have lots of info, and how to in their videos.

I am starting to lean towards the 4 stroke motors.

Yes. The are bigger, heavier, and not as fast. But the ideas a cleaner fuel and having a oil reservoir for the motor is better for the motor. Also. You cant get special colors for the 4 stroke covers.

While the 2 strokes do power the lights, I cant find any info if the 4 stroke also do generate a 12 volt output.
I have looked at motors that are internally (Huasheng )belt drive. Motors that have a single chain on the inside are made cheaply. The Flying Horse has a double chain.

I dont know what the Petrol has for a drive in the transmission, But the flying horse a about the same in price.

Anyway. What ever engine that I get it is to dangerous to use the drive sprocket in the kits since you can destroy your spokes using it. There fore you need to buy another drive sprocket and a special clamp hub mount to not damage the sprocket. cost for the two $90 to 100. Its a better and safer investment.

Time to hit the sack. I have been sick all weekend with the flu. I need to work tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:25:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Holy fucking shit.  If you are going to go through all these gyrations to get a motor, "shifter kit", gear set, huge saddlebags, heavy seat, more bags, special bars, lights, handlebar streamers, a little dinging bell, etc, just get a fucking REAL motorcycle for fucks sake.

Only thing missing in all these motorized bicycle bullshit photos is a skinny jeans wearing bearded hipster with a Starbucks in his manicured fingers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Holy fucking shit.  If you are going to go through all these gyrations to get a motor, "shifter kit", gear set, huge saddlebags, heavy seat, more bags, special bars, lights, handlebar streamers, a little dinging bell, etc, just get a fucking REAL motorcycle for fucks sake.

Only thing missing in all these motorized bicycle bullshit photos is a skinny jeans wearing bearded hipster with a Starbucks in his manicured fingers.
View Quote
I hate Starbucks.

I'm the dirty jean type slob.

Some people say that I invented the plumbers cleavage but I'm not that old.

I was asked why I was building this. I responded by saying that this is to be my emergency transportation when I need to get parts for my truck. I figure on keeping it next to the spare tire.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#25]
OK. I broke down and ordered the Wheel set on Amazon. I wont give the location on Amazon since there are only 6 sets left and others that are I know that are interested a chance to buy. They started to sell fast. With spring just around the corner these could disappear fast. Other sites are selling the same wheels without tires for up to $250 a set.

Oh. BTW. They take 7 to 10 speed hub sets. If I cant have a front derailleur I can at least have some rear gears to ride with. So I ordered a 10 speed cassette and rear derailleur.There is a possibility that I can still have the front derailleur with a 3 sprocket set with the 4 stroke set up. Two stoke without the shifter set is a definite yes possibility. Bottom bracket set shafts can be order up to 10 inches long for the 2 or 4 stroke engine shifter setups that I saw in the videos. If so. That would give it a 30 speed bike with a gas engine. I going to flip the 7 Speed set that I bought to someone else at cost.

Sifters for the derailleurs are on hold until I decide which of the three candidates that I choose for the handler bars. Height and arm length is the issue here. I maybe only 5 ft 8 inch in height but I have long arms. Example. I have a re-curve Bow. I draw 32 inch arrows. I bought it from a former Mr. NH body builder he could only draw 28" arrows with his arms. He is 6 ft 2 inch.

OK. I have ape arms and frog type flippers for feet, and Canadian born. Neanderthals off have it better than me.

My BCA Mountain bike handle bars feel too close to me. I can purchase longer stems to move it further away. Ordering a longer stem for my BCA could be in the future.

Some want to build one with the Dummy tank ones for $69 but with no motor as a cruiser bike. These guys really do a great job painting there noisy cars. It will become a show bike or canvas piece that they can flip at flea markets. Even if its just the frame.
There are plenty of donor bikes for them out there to build one cheap.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
While the 2 strokes do power the lights, I cant find any info if the 4 stroke also do generate a 12 volt output.
View Quote

You can find them if you look.  I have a Huasheng 144F (53cc) with a lighting coil that I found on ebay a few years ago.  Basically it's just a coil and you get AC out, so you need a rectifier/regulator off a moped to get 12VDC.  That's the motor I'm planning on mounting in the trike.

Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I built and rode an E-Bike all throughout grad school and my first year of work.

9-C hub motor, custom built motor controller, Cycle Analyst heads up display and LiPo batteries.

It was/is a hoot. 45 MPH top speed with almost zero noise. It really freaked people out.

I'd look here if you're really interested in E-Bikes.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/#start_here
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You can find them if you look.  I have a Huasheng 144F (53cc) with a lighting coil that I found on ebay a few years ago.  Basically it's just a coil and you get AC out, so you need a rectifier/regulator off a moped to get 12VDC.  That's the motor I'm planning on mounting in the trike.

http://kcsbikes.com/pics/HSengines2.jpg
View Quote
Thanks

The rectifier looks like the one on my tractors Kohler 25 HP motor

Also for those winter crazy people
I;ll keep this one out of the snow. Already wiped out with the BCA on ice.
Convert your bike into a half track

Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I built and rode an E-Bike all throughout grad school and my first year of work.

9-C hub motor, custom built motor controller, Cycle Analyst heads up display and LiPo batteries.

It was/is a hoot. 45 MPH top speed with almost zero noise. It really freaked people out.

I'd look here if you're really interested in E-Bikes.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/#start_here
View Quote
My friend wants to convert his Cannondale to have a front e-bike wheel.
Its the next best thing to two wheel drive in the woods.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#30]
A tweeker is gonna steal it,they love those things.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:44:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My friend wants to convert his Cannondale to have a front e-bike wheel.
Its the next best thing to two wheel drive in the woods.
View Quote

The hub motor is fun. I have even seen dual hub motor setups. The issue with two is syncing them up to deliver equal amounts of power.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Just got an email from Bike Berry/

There 4 stroke does put out 12 volts but it has a limited output when it come to lights by itself/ I only want it for charging sing I will have a battery on board somewhere on the bike. LED lighting should help for a lower draw on the system.

I dont plan to ride all night. Just running lights during the daytime.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I want a Motoped. It uses a 49cc pit bike motor.

Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a friend who built an electric bike.  It is stupid fast, ~35+ mph, and he is a BFF.  He has these big fatass tires on it, lots of rolling resistance.  It's an impressive build.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I kinda would like a Ruckus. Esp for winter.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/Dredd308/motoped.jpg
View Quote
I like the Motoped drive system. The bike is a bit on the high side.
I like the Rotopax gas can. They are pricey and the mounts are separate.

ETA

Found out that these are starting at $2999. Bike Berrie was selling some at $3999 and are sold out.

Must be ARFCOMERS buying them out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Read and question before you buy. Otherwise you get what you paid for. Lower price could mean an older model.

Just got the frame today. Silver. Real solid lite frame. Meaning not polished but sanded aluminum only. OK. Thats what I expected. Clean and ready for paint. That should hold on to the paint. I was thinking of painting it blue and white or red and white. I like to know how that guy made a wood grain look on his.

Before painting I need to test for leaks in the tank. It would be a waste of time to paint it now until I am sure.

Seems to be more than one model/style and manufacturers with the 2.4L and 3.7L's.

This one does not have a bracket for the disk caliper. You have to buy an adapter for since it is a bike for a single bracket brake rim. You know pedal backwards. But it does have the mounts for Cruiser and MTB style brakes. Should have read the description on the one. Other models have the caliper mounts. I ordered the rear brake conversion bracket for $20

Even though the description the wheel clearance on most of these being sold 5 1/2 inches. They neglected to state whether that is at the axle or tire clearance, some are saying wheel rather than axle only leaving it open on tire width. . This one did not have it. Looks like it is made for no bigger than 26x2.15 max. The 26x3 wheels set tires that I ordered wont get past the tabs the brake mounts. Again. Loos like different manufacturer. It could be why Bike Berrie sell only the 26x1.95 on there complete bikes.
So far
Frame $130 cheap deal
Brake caliper conversion mount $20

Looks like the $159 Fat Tires wont fit this frame. But they will fit the triple tree fork.  They should both be in tomorrow or Saturday .
The description of the 26x3 Duro tires say they can mount on a 1.75 wide rim. This rim is designed for fat tire. It has no description of the actual rim width. If it does squeeze through the brake mounts it will only have an 1/8 leeway on both sides f the tire. Some of these fat tires are actually metric in size and under in SAE width description. I may just need to put the 2.5 inch wide tires and call it a day.

Its like my MTB tires. My new aggressive tires are more wider than my old hybrid threads.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Some of these cost as much as a used dual sport.   I want to get my hands on one though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#39]
IIRC: those size motors don't produce great trq and would be better served as a hybrid charger system for electric drive.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This one does not have a bracket for the disk caliper. You have to buy an adapter for since it is a bike for a single bracket brake rim. You know pedal backwards. But it does have the mounts for Cruiser and MTB style brakes. Should have read the description on the one. Other models have the caliper mounts. I ordered the rear brake conversion bracket for $20
View Quote

Generally motorized bikes don't use a rear disk brake because by far the most common configuration is with the engine drive sprocket on the left.  So unless you pop for an expensive Sick Bike Parts shifter kit, you pretty much have to use clinchers on the rear.

I'm worried that the OP's project is getting overly complicated.  I've seen lots of these that get bogged down with details and expense and never get finished.  I've seen new people get so tied up trying to change the spark timing on the motor or swapping carbs and pipes that they never get around to actually riding it.

Personally my advice for anyone who wants to try out motorized bicycles is pick up a cheap 2-stroke motor kit like this, drag that old, unused bicycle out of the garage and bolt it on.  You'll learn a whole lot about motorized bikes  - what works, what doesn't, what to do, what not to do, how to fix them, keep them running, set up, etc.   And if you decide that maybe it's not for you, then you're only out $100 and you can turn your junk pile project back into a regular bicycle.

Seriously, throwing something together cheap and riding it is the best education in motorized bicycles you'll ever get.  Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it came with a 100+cc motor and was 1K cheaper I would be in.   6K for that is a bit much.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top