Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 110
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll admit to snickering a little when Jeff Gordon ran right out and rear-ended someone on his first lap. Was good to hear Vickers going on about how much fun it is to race sports cars. He gave lip service to NASCRAP, but it was pretty obvious to me how much more excited he was by racing with actual curves than oval racing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Now now now... don't be too disparaging on the NASCAR guys.  I've worked with a lot of them and FWIW, they would agree with you about hating the direction that the series is going.  

Nascar would be 100x times easier to unfuck than F1 though, just do it a 1:1 ratio of roadcourses to big ovals, and remove the small ovals, and also make it an easy to follow points championship.  They don't have near the problems that F1 does with regards to the excitement of races, they just need to get away from the small ovals.  I like the big ovals a lot, there is no cooler or scarier thing to race on.... I'll never forget my first lap of one (Michigan) in a 1997 Dallara Indy Car... And there are so many good road courses in the US and Canada, it's a crime to be driving around tiny ass tracks in a 800HP car.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now now now... don't be too disparaging on the NASCAR guys.  I've worked with a lot of them and FWIW, they would agree with you about hating the direction that the series is going.  

Nascar would be 100x times easier to unfuck than F1 though, just do it a 1:1 ratio of roadcourses to big ovals, and remove the small ovals, and also make it an easy to follow points championship.  They don't have near the problems that F1 does with regards to the excitement of races, they just need to get away from the small ovals.  I like the big ovals a lot, there is no cooler or scarier thing to race on.... I'll never forget my first lap of one (Michigan) in a 1997 Dallara Indy Car.  
View Quote

The big ovals are the issue (boring as fuck racing). When a winning strategy is "hang back and stay out of trouble", there is a serious problem. Combine them with the cookie cutter 1.5 mile tracks........zzzzzzzzzzzz.

F1 will be relatively easy to fix as there are so many areas they can improve. It's just going to take until 2022 before we start to see huge changes (due to existing contracts that don't end until 2020).
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nascar would be 100x times easier to unfuck than F1 though, just do it a 1:1 ratio of roadcourses to big ovals, and remove the small ovals, and also make it an easy to follow points championship.  They don't have near the problems that F1 does with regards to the excitement of races, they just need to get away from the small ovals.  I like the big ovals a lot, there is no cooler or scarier thing to race on.... I'll never forget my first lap of one (Michigan) in a 1997 Dallara Indy Car... And there are so many good road courses in the US and Canada, it's a crime to be driving around tiny ass tracks in a 800HP car.
View Quote

Some of the really small ovals are really cool, like Bristol and Martinsville. I wouldn't even say there needs to be a 1:1 roadcourse to oval, but a few more to replace the boring ovals could sure help. I'm not a huge NASCAR fan but I try to catch at least the biggies like Daytona and Talladega.

I think NASCAR has interfered too much, and made the racing and results too artificial. You're right that it'd be easier to unfuck
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Some of the really small ovals are really cool, like Bristol and Martinsville. I wouldn't even say there needs to be a 1:1 roadcourse to oval, but a few more to replace the boring ovals could sure help. I'm not a huge NASCAR fan but I try to catch at least the biggies like Daytona and Talladega.

I think NASCAR has interfered too much, and made the racing and results too artificial. You're right that it'd be easier to unfuck
View Quote
Small ovals aren't the problem. NASCAR needs to cut back on the rules and let smart crew chiefs and great drivers do their thing. Gone are the days when a small team could out work and out a large team and win. 
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:28:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, I have no doubt that racing ovals can be exciting. The oval tracks that I've raced on sims have certainly been exciting at times. But seriously, I don't know how anyone can enjoy watching a full season of that shit. And as mentioned, all of the retarded artificial crap makes it even worse. I refuse to care about NASCAR. I just doesn't interest me in any way whatsoever. I can appreciate pretty much all forms of track racing except for that one. Drag racing bores me as well. The powerful engines are cool. But i like to see forms of racing that feature the driver's skill more.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:35:39 AM EDT
[#7]
BTW... THIS (endurance racing) is friggin RACING right here. A long, wet, slippery night of racing, trying to see out that messy windshield... has got to seem like an endless pucker out there. This and rally seem like the most balls-out, pure racing to me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Exciting end to Daytona. Wish the Ferrari could have gotten by the Porsche.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Exciting end to Daytona. Wish the Ferrari could have gotten by the Porsche.
View Quote

I think they would have stayed 2nd, or won, had the Ford not pushed the Ferrari off line.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think they would have stayed 2nd, or won, had the Ford not pushed the Ferrari off line.
View Quote

True. The commentators were theorizing that the Ford had lulled the Ferrari to "sleep" after hanging back there for so long, and then surprised him.

I was happy to see the Caddy win the prototypes... questionable move or not. The Taylor family sure seemed ecstatic about it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh, I have no doubt that racing ovals can be exciting. The oval tracks that I've raced on sims have certainly been exciting at times. But seriously, I don't know how anyone can enjoy watching a full season of that shit. And as mentioned, all of the retarded artificial crap makes it even worse. I refuse to care about NASCAR. I just doesn't interest me in any way whatsoever. I can appreciate pretty much all forms of track racing except for that one. Drag racing bores me as well. The powerful engines are cool. But i like to see forms of racing that feature the driver's skill more.
View Quote

Oval track racing would actually be pretty cool if cars did at in Bristol and Indianapolis, and absolutely nowhere else ever.  A short gladiator oval and Indy, and the rest of the races on real circuits.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Magnussen's first day at Haas

Kevin Magnussen's First Day

Off-topic, but drool
Driving Audi's 1000bhp R18 LMP1 race car
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BTW... THIS (endurance racing) is friggin RACING right here. A long, wet, slippery night of racing, trying to see out that messy windshield... has got to seem like an endless pucker out there. This and rally seem like the most balls-out, pure racing to me.
View Quote
Pipo Derani was going ape shit on IMSA and Continental for the shit tires they were given in prototype.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems Ferrari is going to use 3D printed STEEL pistons this upcoming season

Ferrari hilarity here.

Also, heres a look at what 2017 cars will look like:

Manor Article 1
Manor Article 2

Manor had 2 chassis finished before they were closed down
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ferrari hilarity here.

https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.net/sv/3.65/dir/9ec/image/9ec1be09fda4c9c30c77ef2171833582.jpg
https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.net/sv/3.65/dir/d79/image/d79c492aa04cc51fccd7fa987bc977ee.jpg

Manor Article 1
Manor Article 2

View Quote

I read that the fin behind the air box was probably going to come back this year on some cars, looks like that's true. It's suppose to reduce the turbulent air that hits the rear wing caused by the front wing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ferrari hilarity here.

https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.net/sv/3.65/dir/9ec/image/9ec1be09fda4c9c30c77ef2171833582.jpg
https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.net/sv/3.65/dir/d79/image/d79c492aa04cc51fccd7fa987bc977ee.jpg

Manor Article 1
Manor Article 2

View Quote

3D printing is the way of the future. This is a firearms forum, so let's take a look at the Delta P Brevis suppressor which is 3d printed.

It's too bad a purchase of Manor didn't happen. When I read that Ron Dennis may pick it up I was really excited. It would have been cool to see him breathe life into a young program again.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is anyone else besides me just not excited to see Bottas at Merc?

It's nothing against him, but I was hoping for a more exciting announcement
View Quote

I wish they were getting Alonso, I think he would beat the shit out of Lewis.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is anyone else besides me just not excited to see Bottas at Merc?

It's nothing against him, but I was hoping for a more exciting announcement

Mercedes doesn't do exciting. They do safe, overly analytical, and calculating.

The important thing is to keep Lewis happy, Bottas checks all the boxes. He won't go into walls. He won't Barcelona Lewis. He will score consistent constructors' championship points.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#19]
It’s Alive! Firing Up the 2017 Silver Arrow
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mercedes doesn't do exciting. They do safe, overly analytical, and calculating.

The important thing is to keep Lewis happy, Bottas checks all the boxes. He won't go into walls. He won't Barcelona Lewis. He will score consistent constructors' championship points.
View Quote

When they let the two of them race, it'll be good.

I think Bottas will be a better driver than Hamilton in the long run
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Still sounds like a KMart weed whacker
View Quote

Not terribly promising so far. Noise is supposed to be better for 2017.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yup, God the sound of the Williams V10..ohh fukk
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

3D printing is the way of the future. This is a firearms forum, so let's take a look at the Delta P Brevis suppressor which is 3d printed.

It's too bad a purchase of Manor didn't happen. When I read that Ron Dennis may pick it up I was really excited. It would have been cool to see him breathe life into a young program again.
View Quote
a suppressor is also not running at the speed of sound.  also.. steel piston..
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:06:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ferrari hilarity here.

Manor Article 1
Manor Article 2

bummer - I had not kept up but I thought they where safe

that is a shame especially since they where so far a long
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what a rush that was just to listen to them

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#27]
JPM is the best.

Montoya on the Schumachers, the 2017 F1 grid and more
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#29]
...Pirelli's desire to get a pre-season wet tyre test completed was largely prompted by this season's move to standing starts following safety car
periods....
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

JPM is a fucking class act, I loved him as a driver in F1, and I love him even more now for his commentary.

Also, Seb... Fernando.... Best drivers.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

JPM is a fucking class act, I loved him as a driver in F1, and I love him even more now for his commentary.

Also, Seb... Fernando.... Best drivers.  
View Quote

He was a straight shooter, that's for sure. Almost to a fault.

He really needs to get with an Le Mans contending team and finish his triple crown.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Mercedes pit stop with 2017 tires

See it First: F1 Pit Stop with 2017 Tyres
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

He was a straight shooter, that's for sure. Almost to a fault.

He really needs to get with an Le Mans contending team and finish his triple crown.
View Quote
I'd like to see him go for the dirt triple crown.

Juan Pablo Montoya races on Dirt ar Eldora
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mercedes pit stop with 2017 tires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w46L9wnsZow  
View Quote

Embed >> Link
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

All that guy does is make fantasy paint schemes. Seriously doubt he has a leak.

ETA: He is fishing for a job.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Mercedes hires James Allison to replace the departing Paddy Lowe

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/02/mercedes-appoints-james-allison-as-f1-technical-director/
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#38]
First look at William's 2017 car

2017 Williams Formula 1 FW40 reveal

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFagk2lpseQ

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C42wLdvWIAExnfC.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C42wLgJWMAAwaTC.jpg

View Quote

Looks awesome
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Still has an ugly nub up front on the nose but I'm liking everything else.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Still has an ugly nub up front on the nose but I'm liking everything else.
View Quote

Yeah I'm surprised they kept it
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does it really matter if it's there when it won't televised in 8th position?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#47]
2017 Open Wheel Fantasy League Draft and Sign up thread is now open. Fantasy picks can be post in advance and don't require weekly maintenance like other fantasy sports. We have our draft over a 2-3 day period so everyone has time to reply and it doesn't interfere with people's lives.

You could win free pmags, memberships, or even the yearly possession of our highly sought after trophy. Currently, it rest in Tennessee with Mossyrocks, after his second consecutive championship. If you like racing and are interested, please post here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_125/1966782_.html
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Looking forward to the rest of the car reveals!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#49]
FORMULA E ON FOX SPORTS 2
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
FORMULA E ON FOX SPORTS 2
View Quote

I just can't do it.

Page / 110
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top