User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

^^^This. They are an excellent value for the money...
View Quote

Us general all the way

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I'm gonna give the general a shot.

Supposedly the HF has one on its truck coming tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been watching Craigslist a while, I rarely see a decent box fur under the 2k price range locally. I'm going to get some US General boxes soon as well if I don't run across a deal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Used Snap-On from Craigslist. I bought a box from a guy earlier in the year that would have been $5500 off the truck. I paid $1500. It is like new.
I also have a couple of Craftsman Professional boxes that are over 10 years old. They are very well made. Not the regular Craftsman which are pretty good, the Professional line.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#6]
got a 5 drawer US General cart, I couldn't do without that thing, 6 hammers, 75 pairs of pliers, sanders, drills, saws, grinders, heat gun, screwdrivers, grease gun, quick clamps, kreg jig, it's got a bit of every fucking thing on it

Kobalt stainless lower cab, got it off craigslist cheap from some woman who found herself facing an unexpected divorce of some sort. It was worth what I paid for it, it is not worth what Lowes wants. Broke a wheel, getting a replacement was a complete nightmare from Lowes, ended up getting one from HF, been on there two years now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 4:15:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's the drawer rollers and wheel sets that are the major long term issues in a tool box.  The rest is just frosting unless you actually need to lock it up for security....then the lock set is important.

My recommendation is that you get something that is so freeking big and heavy that someone will need a serious piece of equipment to move.  

Fucking thieves.  
View Quote

Excellent advice above.

I've bought probably 15-20 toolchests over 30 years, constantly upgrading and modifying them.  I'm currently using Lista and Vidmars on Coulson polyurethane/steel casters because they will hold thousands of lbs of tools and not warp or buckle when transported in a trailer on rough roads.  I use 1/2"x3" steel bar as locking rods and nuke weapons padlocks that resist cutting torches to keep my tools secure.  The issued key locks with most boxes can be easily opened with a standard screwdriver.

All my box drawers have roller bearing or ball bearing slides.   If you are storing a substantial amount of weight, I would steer clear of the thin gauge boxes.  I bought a Husky new and when the slides fell apart, Home Depot couldn't supply me with replacement parts.    The older Mac, Matco, Cornwell,and Snap-On boxes are pretty well made and really cheap on craigslist.

I worked at a big shop that was previously hit by thieves that used a box truck with a hydraulic lift.   They stole every toolchest except a monster that weighed around a ton and exceeded the weight limit of the lift.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I bought the general.

Wife won't let me set it up till Sunday, lol.  I'll go to the shop tonight after she goes to sleep

It's a good thing I have a loader on the tractor as that sob is heavy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I only have the 44" top and bottom chest and the red heavy duty tool cart but am seriously impressed for the money.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mac
View Quote

My brother in law has a Macto and he works for firestone. He liked it best and it seems to be a nice box........heavy fucker to load into the back of a pickup truck when loaded too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lista, Stanley Vidmar, Lyon,  etc.  

Snap On is for pretty boys.
View Quote

yep, Snap On , Matco  ,Mac , Kennedy are for ass-clowns who don't know any better
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Santa was good

For my needs this thing will serve me well.  It is much more than I expected.  If I hadn't had a tractor with a loader I don't know how one guy could handle this.  It's almost 600 pounds unloaded.

Label maker ran out of tape
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Good job!  I have the 44" with two side boxes.  Holding up like new for 3 years next week.  I now need another, but no room in the garage.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been looking for a box for my garage for a while now.   Had my mind set on the 52 inch husky from Home Depot (the heavy duty one with the Matte finish).   I ended up stopping in to Harbor Freight, and realized the US General is much heavier duty.   Picked up a top and bottom 44 inch chest today.   For the price, they really can't be beat
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Best tool box I've ever used is from Matco. I've used and bought most every brand out there and Matco wins hands down. That said, they are heave as a day is long and best used as a shop box.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You won't be disappointed and you can use the extra money here.

Tooltopia.com

The reason I have so many is so that I can keep everything halfass organized and not over fill my drawers. I'm not wrenching but I have guys that do all day and we use them the heck out of them and the used ones are in about the same shape as mine and mine hardly get opened.

They will last a weekender forever.
View Quote
I just bought a second 44" to go with my original 56".  I needed to spread the tools out and get them organized.  I really hate having a 30 minute job turn into 2 hours because I'm looking for tools.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Lista from here:
http://www.motorheadextraordinaire.com/
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Whatever you get: Absolutely ball-bearing slides.
View Quote

This CANNOT be stressed enough.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#20]
snap-offs are overrated 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
snap-offs are overrated 
View Quote

I actually use several HF things proudly.

1. 20 ton log splitter
2. 72" tool chest
3. 8750 genset
4. Earthquake impact gun and sockets
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Another US General satisfied user/customer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was looking for a tool chest in 2010 I bought a Sears Craftsman 23 drawer 52 inch combo setup.
$999 in store pickup.

They don't sell it anymore.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top