Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a modern turntable and a bunch of vinyl.

It doesn't sound better than a good (well mastered) CD.

But it can sound essentially the same.

Nowadays sometimes I just want to relax and not have every damn thing - including listening to an album - become an I.T. problem.
View Quote

Without knowing the particulars, there are a lot of budget TT out there that really don't sound all that great.  Throw in the phonostage that you might be using and well...you certainly have compromised sound.

Vinyl is certainly a ritual-esque endeavor, for me at least.  Sometimes I just don't want to fire up the main tube system and so I turn on the Denon receiver and listen to college radio.

Chris

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

30 year old audio technology = "Hipster"

50 year old rifle design = the forum where people make fun of "Hipsters"
View Quote
The military still uses the rifle....
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Dave Grohl is big into recording on all analog equipment. He recorded some music with Zac Brown Band and others. The ZBB album was great.
View Quote

Still lots of stuff recorded to tape in all genres
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, I used to DJ with vinyl for fun and had somewhere around 200+ records at one time and even I don't get the draw of vinyl.....that shit's heavy, takes up a ton of space, scratches and breaks easier than CD's, wears out over time which reduces sound quality. I just don't get it. Fucking hipsters are to blame. Hell, they even brought back the typewriter....THE GODDAMN TYPEWRITER!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a record player on my want list, I have a bunch of my parents old records that are just collecting dust.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a record player on my want list, I have a bunch of my parents old records that are just collecting dust.
View Quote

Let 'em keep collecting it. Most people don't understand taking care of vinyl longterm so the quality of them may be shit....just go MP3
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I disagree.   I have 4K invested in vinyl and 20k invested in cd playback.  I prefer my vinyl system.   Yes one can drop much more coin on vinyl playback however the point of deminishing returns is much lower.   Cd playback expesially Dacs is limitless and in most cases more money will produce "better" Listening experience
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Man, I used to DJ for fun and even I don't get the draw of vinyl.....that shit's heavy, takes up a ton of space, scratches and breaks easier than CD's, wears out over time which reduces sound quality. I just don't get it. Fucking hipsters are to blame. Hell, they even brought back the typewriter....THE GODDAMN TYPEWRITER!!!
View Quote

I've got my eye out for an old typewriter.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I was searching for a turntable to play some of my old crappy records and I was astonished at the prices for some of these things. You can easily get into 5 digits in price. quick google search for hi fi turntable popped up a very plain looking one for $30,000
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Dj'ing is a very different use case then why I prefer vinyl.  

Moreover I thought dj s were replaced by iTunes playlists
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The phonograph was invented in 1877, so if you add 109 years to your estimate on how old the audio technology is, you'll be right on.  

You're not very good at analogies.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought my wife one, its sounds great.  We have a huge stack of records so its cool to be able to play them
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Agreed.

However, not an issue for my setup.  
View Quote

I'm pretty familiar with current vinyl setups, what are you running specifically?

>>>Kuzma Stabi w/external PSU>>>Kuzma Stogi Reference arm>>>Transfiguration Spirit v.1>>>Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 SE phono stage.

A bit dated, but quality stuff back in 2000ish.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I am currently looking for a console stereo.  . The bigger the better.  Of course I will upgrade the guts but keep the old school look.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd be pretty happy with something like this...

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm all for retro technology, but I'm more for minimizing the amount of crap i own. Having all of my music, book, pictures, videos, and communications on a cell phone beats the crap out of hifi gear, bookcases full of books, shoeboxes full of pictures, shelves full of tapes/dvds, and a big ass home phone with an answering machine.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm 24, not a hipster, and I prefer vinyl.

Merle Haggard and Don Williams sound better on vinyl.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Breaking out my old KISS albums and others to honor this thread.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was searching for a turntable to play some of my old crappy records and I was astonished at the prices for some of these things. You can easily get into 5 digits in price. quick google search for hi fi turntable popped up a very plain looking one for $30,000
View Quote

It also depends on what you're wanting to use the turntable for.....direct drive or belt
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Man, I used to DJ with vinyl for fun and had somewhere around 200+ records at one time and even I don't get the draw of vinyl.....that shit's heavy, takes up a ton of space, scratches and breaks easier than CD's, wears out over time which reduces sound quality. I just don't get it. Fucking hipsters are to blame. Hell, they even brought back the typewriter....THE GODDAMN TYPEWRITER!!!
View Quote

It's not hipsters.  Audiophiles have been big on vinyl for 30 years.  Some even refuse to go digital anything.  Pre and amps are tube.  Vinyl has tube output stage, etc.  Even putting a tube output stage onto SACD players or buying them with it already installed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It also depends on what you're wanting to use the turntable for.....direct drive or belt
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most all quality hi end TTs are belt drive.  If you need to start a record up hot, in 1/4 turn, then you want direct drive, like most radio station DJ TTs.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Merle Haggard and Don Williams sound better from a portable digital device out in the middle of nowhere...by a campfire...with a beer in my hand.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have fun and break out the wallet.

https://www.audiogon.com/
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#26]
From a DJ to the "vinyl sounds better crowd" play your records enough (and take 'em in and out of sleeves enough) times....and you WILL notice a sound difference. There's a reason I and many other vinyl DJ's owned multiple copies of the same records.

I swear it's like talking to styrofoam sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#27]
It's hipster stuff.

For the best quality you want an HD song, played through a DAC, and then to good speakers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm waiting for reel to reel tape to make a comeback.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Most all quality hi end TTs are belt drive.  If you need to start a record up hot, in 1/4 turn, then you want direct drive, like most radio station DJ TTs.

Chris
View Quote

I guess Technics 1200s weren't high end because they're the industry standard and direct drive...
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got boxes of vinyl. Lots of European imports (that I imported when I moved back), lots of rare live stuff too.

Suggestion for good turntable setup?

I want one for Xmas too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for reel to reel tape to make a comeback.
View Quote

Reel to reel still sounds fucking amazing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Eight Track is where it's at, baby.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Vinyl/Tube guy here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Our 14 y/o wanted one too, along with an old ribbon tyewriter and the hand held walkie talkies the kids had in Strange Things.

I am totally cool with the retro stuff.  Was a real bitch finding new ribbons for the typewriter though.
View Quote

I bought an older electric typewriter from gubmint auction. You can get ribbons on Amazon.
Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#35]
So many good memories of going to basement/garage shows of shitty punk bands and digging threw boxes of 45's to try and find some obscure Subhumans or Exploited single.

Music hunting is stale and boring now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#36]
My parents just bought an old Wurlitzer Americana jukebox and we've been trying to restore it, with quite a bit of difficulty.  So far, we've got everything working but the buttons.  To play music, you gotta figure out which number the song is on, and flip a metal switch in the back.

Old Christmas music and country sounds beautiful on it.  All that being said, it's NOT going to be an heirloom.  

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Personally, vinyl is the one consumer market where the casual public is an utter idiot in regards to technology. IMO I think vinyl anymore is a waste of money....and as I said sound quality deteriorates from wear and time, it takes up space and is heavy if it needs to move. If I hadn't quit, I was gonna move to this...
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave Grohl is big into recording on all analog equipment. He recorded some music with Zac Brown Band and others. The ZBB album was great.

I just watched the Sound City documentary with Grohl and a ton of other musicians. It's  a very good documentary that touches on this very subject.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hipsters...goes with handlebar mustache.

Did the AR become obsolete?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've got boxes of vinyl. Lots of European imports (that I imported when I moved back), lots of rare live stuff too.

Suggestion for good turntable setup?

I want one for Xmas too.
View Quote

You've got to get a budget together for table, arm, cartridge and phono stage, if you don't have any of it.  You need to see what STEREO equipment you have already, that might work, or isn't going to hold your new vinyl rig, hostage.

https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?category=Turntables&sort=popularity%7CDESC&page=1&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/111/Turntables

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Turntables

Without knowing some of the above, nobody can recommend stuff to you.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Vinyl sounds better to the ear, a 'warmer' sound.  Digital is all blocks of 1's and 0's so it does not have the same pleasing sound to the ear.

This is confirmed over and over again by sound engineers (family member is one).
If you want to collect music from a favorite artist, actual records are investments (they go UP in value.  Casettes, CD's and MP3 files are disposable)

The love of Vinyl was not started by hipsters, even though they may be obsessed with them.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Vinyl sounds better to the ear, a 'warmer' sound.  Digital is all blocks of 1's and 0's so it does not have the same pleasing sound to the ear.

This is confirmed over and over again by sound engineers (family member is one).
If you want to collect music from a favorite artist, actual records are investments (they go UP in value.  Casettes, CD's and MP3 files are disposable)

The love of Vinyl was not started by hipsters, even though they may be obsessed with them.  
View Quote

SMH
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Our twin daughters are 16.

Both have record players, and they ask for albums for Christmas, birthday, etc.

I walked into one of their rooms awhile back. She had my Van Halen I album playing. I had to give her a high five...
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Guy at work has a $5,000+ record player set up. The needle thing alone cost him $1300 That doesn't include the actual speaker, tuner or amp stuff. I know the speakers alone are something like $10,000.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Dj'ing is a very different use case then why I prefer vinyl.  

Moreover I thought dj s were replaced by iTunes playlists
View Quote
I now know what your avatar is, but it sure made me do a double take when I scrolled past the first time...lol
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I just had this awesome image of Zak, Nick, and Aaron recording AVP's...  Analogue Voice Phenomonon..

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm about as far from 'hipster' as it gets, and I just inherited my in-laws' turntable system and vinyl collection. There is a very real, noticeable difference in audio quality, especially compared to low bitrate MP3 that was the norm for CD ripping for a while.

A new needle, a good set of cans, and a mint-condition original Zeppelin album is an experience not to be missed.
View Quote

When I was a teenager, an adult friend lent me a few vinyls to check out. Listening to Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon through a set of headphones borrowed from my dad's motion picture studio was amazing.

My radio career saw me transmitting through a vintage and powerful old school tube-transmitter AM station and several solid state remotely programmable FM setups. I played vinyl, tape cartridges, DAT recordings, reel to reel, CD, and MP3. I love it all, but still have a soft spot for the fuzzy stuff. Most of my guitar amps have tubes, too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

SMH
View Quote

It's pretty much true.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#49]
*Fedora or Beret, not included.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I love my old turntable.

I use it to spin .50 Cal brass while I anneal it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top