BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:17:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the best series in the history of TV.
View Quote

Until the writers strike and the Iraq insurgency parallel new caprica story line 

Show never really recovered 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:21:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Then grab your gun and bring the cat in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Morning Starbuck, what do ya hear?

Nothing but the rain, sir.

Then grab your gun and bring the cat in.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#3]
there's persistent rumors of a NEW remake, based more on the original series. or at least a feature movie...   I'd love to see it, but like someone said, watching the old one after watching the new one makes you realize that the old one, while cool in it's day, doesn't hold up...
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:23:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
absolutely love the show, never watched caprica though, any opinions on it? worth a watch?
View Quote

If ya really liked BSG it's kinda fun for the back stories , but for the most part it was a big bag of meh 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I hope you guys noticed where they were at too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I hope you guys noticed where they were at too.

2 Starbucks at Starbucks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Watch to the end of Season 2.

Say, "And they lived happily ever after, amen."

Do not proceed further.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I didn't like the new Starbuck.

She was just a political correctness rehash mistake.

Instead of a fun, likeable, womanizing wingman we got
a bitchy men-anizing fema-nazi.....although she was hot!  

2nd season was okay.....series tanked after that.
View Quote

I cannot disagree more strongly. I thought the same thing at first, but it became more and more apparent that Starbuck was loogie spit in the face of 'feminism'. She was aggressive, hot-headed, self-destructive, and constantly in the shit for fucking up. She fought, drank, got her ass thrown in the brig for taking a swing at a superior officer, grudge-fucked dudes she knew damned well she shouldn't just because she like causing trouble, and got beat down more than once for being too bold. She was a pretty lonely and bitter person because she had a mean streak and kind of liked hurting people, to the point she drove people away. Hell, that was why Leoban became obsessed with her, because of the whole "zero fucks given individuality" thing.

She mostly managed to keep it between the ditches because she was a genuine killer (how many times did she kill Leoban?) and an amazing pilot during a time of war. She was the antithesis of 'feminazi'. She wasn't trying to prove anything. She was genuinely mean and half-crazy, and she paid the price for it over and over.

She was a dark character, plagued with guilt, blaming herself for Zak's death. She never got what she wanted, and only found some sort of absolution through ultimate sacrifice.

She was not in any way a feminist icon, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
worst series finale ever.
View Quote

Fail.

...Tony looks up while listening to Journey's "Don't Stop Believin" and sees his beloved daughter Meadow walk into the diner and then [Music stops, screen goes black].

...Eli walks to the forward observation deck, pauses at a table, types in a few lines of code into the computer terminal.
"The Gauntlet" starts playing over the ship's intercom.
Eli then walks to the rail of the forward observation deck and leans against it as the ship starts shutting down the last lights and life support systems.
Eli looks up and then [music stops, screen goes to black].

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:41:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fail.

...Tony looks up while listening to Journey's "Don't Stop Believin" and sees his beloved daughter Meadow walk into the diner and then [Music stops, screen goes black].

...Eli walks to the forward observation deck as "The Gauntlet" starts playing over the ship's intercom.
Eli then walks to the rail of the forward observation deck and leans against it as the ship starts shutting down the last lights and life support systems.
Eli looks up and then the camera stops as the ship moves forward into space...[music stops, screen goes to black].
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:42:38 AM EDT
[#10]
ARFcom seizure results in a doubletap
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:42:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Until the writers strike and the Iraq insurgency parallel new caprica story line 

Show never really recovered 
View Quote

Even with that, there still was no better scifi on tv at the time
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:42:47 AM EDT
[#12]
This show was the best.  Tried watching Caprica and could only take a few episodes.  And that was the last of my Syfy viewing days. 

However, fans of Tricia will probably like Ascension on Netflix, but do not read anything about it if you don't want to ruin it for yourself.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:43:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fail.

...Eli walks to the forward observation deck, pauses at a table, types in a few lines of code into the computer terminal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

Ugh, Battlestargate.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:43:50 AM EDT
[#14]
My favorite scene of the entire series...

Galactica falling with style
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:45:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fail.

View Quote

..John Locke and Jack Are listening to "I Touch Myself" while they sort through food in the mysterious bunker.  Pan to Hugo surreptitiously spying on them from behind a large house plant.  [Music stops, screen goes black]

Alternate:

...As the characters of LOST follow Jack's father through the bright light in the mysterious church, they find the world of Stargate SG-1 on the other side.  It was a Stargate.  It was Stargate the whole time.  Jack O'neal and the gang are listening to "Shake it Off".  Hugo screams in surprise [Music stops, screen goes black]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:46:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:58:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What the Frak?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:02:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

lost
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shit was gay in 1978 too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:16:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Great series.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:25:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

lost
View Quote

I like LOST's ending.  Had to watch it a couple of times before it grew on me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:26:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sometimes you gotta roll the hard six.
View Quote
One of the most bad ass moves in Sci fi history.

Spoiler........

No biggie, FTL jump into atmosphere, let battlestar plummet to surface, launch fighters and FTL jump out.

Adama is bad ass!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:26:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:29:11 AM EDT
[#24]
To this day I am amazed SyFy managed to turn out such a magnificent show. They've done okay with Dark Matter and The Expanse though. There is some BSG influence I've picked up on in The Expanse.

Quoted:
other than the shitty ending, the only parts I didn't like were Apollo wearing Oakley sunglasses and Starbuck drinking from the F/A-18 stein.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdsp22xZXe1rsqbq8o1_500.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
other than the shitty ending, the only parts I didn't like were Apollo wearing Oakley sunglasses and Starbuck drinking from the F/A-18 stein.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdsp22xZXe1rsqbq8o1_500.jpg

You got a frackin' problem with the F-18 on my stein?

Quoted:
absolutely love the show, never watched caprica though, any opinions on it? worth a watch?

Not bad but not BSG. Would have been nice if it had been given a chance to see the Cylons evolve. The last episode showed promise.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:29:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Best 2.5 years in the history of television. 
View Quote
Yep I still watch it as its on my hard drive.

Start feeling bad about life? watch the first 4 episodes and imagine you were on a 50 yr Battlestar and facing
the end of the human race.

You then will realize life isnt so bad.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Spoilers

Click To View Spoiler

Great show right up until the writers strike, then it went goofy
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:36:23 AM EDT
[#27]
for me the whole show centers around the execution of the Adama Maneuver

don't worry OP this is not a spoiler in itself
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:37:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I finally broke down and got a Hulu subscription mostly to see this.

I'm only on the 2nd episode but this version is much heavier than the 1978 one.

I like Katee Sackoff in Longmire but I think, so far, she is in her prime as Starbuck.
View Quote

You are gonna really like the show I think.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:56:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
lost
View Quote

Second worst TV show ever.
First?
Fagalong 5.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I cannot disagree more strongly. I thought the same thing at first, but it became more and more apparent that Starbuck was loogie spit in the face of 'feminism'. She was aggressive, hot-headed, self-destructive, and constantly in the shit for fucking up. She fought, drank, got her ass thrown in the brig for taking a swing at a superior officer, grudge-fucked dudes she knew damned well she shouldn't just because she like causing trouble, and got beat down more than once for being too bold. She was a pretty lonely and bitter person because she had a mean streak and kind of liked hurting people, to the point she drove people away. Hell, that was why Leoban became obsessed with her, because of the whole "zero fucks given individuality" thing.

She mostly managed to keep it between the ditches because she was a genuine killer (how many times did she kill Leoban?) and an amazing pilot during a time of war. She was the antithesis of 'feminazi'. She wasn't trying to prove anything. She was genuinely mean and half-crazy, and she paid the price for it over and over.

She was a dark character, plagued with guilt, blaming herself for Zak's death. She never got what she wanted, and only found some sort of absolution through ultimate sacrifice.

View Quote

This is a great analysis of her character. When I saw the miniseries I really had my doubts about her but she ended being a fucking great character.

I always thought Helo was a bad ass as well, in a very different way, and he's remained one of my favorite characters in television history. When everyone around him is loosing their shit, breaking down and crumbling, he still acts and fights like a fucking man and does his own shit no matter how fucked up everyone else is.

Have fun OP, I'd love to go back and watch it for the first time again. It's a great series despite it's ups and downs.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:19:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My favorite scene of the entire series...

JdkCpnGMyGw
View Quote

That episode was the most exciting hour of television I've ever experienced IMO.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:20:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Loved the series. Still trying to get the wife to give it a try. Been long enough for me to have almost as good time as first viewing. Maybe I use it to replace TWD.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:35:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exquisitely written.  I wholeheartedly concur.

I didn't like the new Starbuck either when I first watched, mostly because I thought it would be impossible to replace the original actor, who (for me) made the series.  However, after only a few episodes, it became obvious that the character I was now watching was a grown-up, mature version of the original, and not a happy, centered adult.  Katee Sackhoff's portrayal was the surprise breakout for me, in a series that was absolutely filled with stellar performers.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:59:19 AM EDT
[#34]
This is pretty awesome if you like space battles They put them all together.

Battlestar Galactica EPIC Battle Montage
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't like the new Starbuck.

She was just a political correctness rehash mistake.

Instead of a fun, likeable, womanizing wingman we got
a bitchy men-anizing fema-nazi.....although she was hot!  

2nd season was okay.....series tanked after that.

She was the harbinger of death, and led them all to their doom.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:53:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Dude... was she on her motorcycle?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Outstanding show!

I do have issues with some of the plot details as the show went on, but minor gripes, really. But it was the last show I was ever truley vested in.

I'm actually in the middle of running through the series again for the 6th time (I think). But every time I see it, It just makes me want my own Caprica 6 more and more. 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like it and think it's worth a watch, but I'm almost certainly in the minority here in that regard.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

lost
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lost

The Sopranos holds that trophy, for all of eternity.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ugh, Battlestargate.
View Quote

It had a bit of a rough start but ended up being pretty decent.  It had the potential to be quite excellent and was on a trajectory to perhaps even topping SG-1, IMO.  It really needed another season at least (so did SG-1; the movie as a capstone was unsatisfying).  It kind of makes me wish SG-1 was a bit less campy and took a darker, more serious tone more often than it did.

The earlier episodes are rough, but that kind of goes away on a rewatch.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I like LOST's ending.  Had to watch it a couple of times before it grew on me.
View Quote

That last season was mostly garbage.  It had its moments, though.  The writing was lazy and rife with continuity errors.  They weren't even really trying anymore at that point.  The finale mostly sucked.  However, the final scene with Jack's death, Vincent coming up to him, and him closing his eyes in a way that matches his opening them on the island in the pilot was beautifully done and quite masterful.  If only the rest of that season had come even close to such a level.  The score remained excellent to the very end, though, one of the best in a series IMO (Galactica's was up there, too, as was SGU's).
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#42]
The Adama Maneuver is why I like to call him Ballsy Bill Adama 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Loved the show.

However, is no one here going to talk about Mary McDonnell??

Her acting made some episodes unbearable. Her facial expression never changed. Her tone never changed. Her timing in her speech never changed.

Am I the only one that noticed it?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Loved the show.

Her acting made some episodes unbearable. Her facial expression never changed. Her tone never changed. Her timing in her speech never changed.

View Quote

I had a love hate relationship with Rosalin but in the end I liked her character. 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I had a love hate relationship with Rosalin but in the end I liked her character. 
View Quote

same.  great character, eminently acted.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Loved the show.

View Quote

Agree. She was a stiff, awkward to watch character. I was hoping she was going to croak every episode. 

Loved her doctor though, always smoking. 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not even a SciFi nerd. But this series... it's awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is my #1 favorite show ever. I envy you for getting to experience it for the first time.

I'm not even a SciFi nerd. But this series... it's awesome.

I only just started watching it myself for the first time, im midway through season 2.

Can't believe I never saw it before 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think Seinfeld gets that dishonor.

I didn't think all of the ending of BSG was that bad.  And they also had to wrap it up sooner than maybe they had planned as the network was pulling the plug after that season.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mostly no.  Maybe the last show.   It was pretty slow, or very slow developing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#50]
IMO the only thing that you need to watch in regards to a spin off of BSG is the Blood and Chrome prequel and The Plan which adds a little bit to the Cylon storyline (but not much)

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top