BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was thinking the same.  Seen some very good people say some messed up and almost unbelievable stuff when they have had a traumatic experience and the gravity of what has happened simply has not had time to hit home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A simpler explanation is that he was in a state of shock. Everyone handles a near-death experience differently, and I bet he wasn't in the clearest of minds when he gave that interview. A lot of "oh, the horror" mixed in with "I'm glad I'm alive.."

Was thinking the same.  Seen some very good people say some messed up and almost unbelievable stuff when they have had a traumatic experience and the gravity of what has happened simply has not had time to hit home.

I found the interview, I guess the part talking about how all his stuff is gone right after talking about his buddy who's now dead is what gets me as

Also CNN cut this off short because in the original he's trying to high five the reporter at the end. Does he not know he may be responsible (criminally and morally) for all those deaths?

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/12/04/oakland-fire-survivor-nr-sot.cnn
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No one was fucking cheering or celebrating.  One side just didn't give a fuck a bunch of douchebag hippy libtard artists and their closest friends got smoked and made fun of them in the finest GD tradition.  Then the white knights and delicate sensitive wallflowers on the other side took offense and started calling them cunts and rude and mean and nasty, so the first side started crying and then big daddy stepped in and shut every one down and told everybody to go to their rooms until they could play together nice.

Don't know why OP felt the need to stir shit up again.  GD gonna D.
View Quote

This exactly ^

I think the ones complaining about our humorous comments need to turn in their man card, and stop hiding in the closet about their secretly being libs.  Their vajay swelling up sort of blew their cover!

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Feelz.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
This girl says inside the maze before the fire.

Oakland warehouse "ghostship" inside the maze before the ??

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Outrage Grows After Deadly Oakland Warehouse Fire
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I found the interview, I guess the part talking about how all his stuff is gone right after talking about his buddy who's now dead is what gets me as

Also CNN cut this off short because in the original he's trying to high five the reporter at the end. Does he not know he may be responsible (criminally and morally) for all those deaths?

View Quote

Yeah, he's in a mess.   He's hurt and he's definitely cut up about his friend who he had to leave behind - put to 1 minute he's barely keeping it together.

I think the move to talking about the loss of his stuff was a coping mechanism rather than a lack of care. Like finding something which is a bit sad to focus on instead of focusing on the real tragedy before your eyes. I doubt it had even registered at that point that his friend and many others had lost their lives.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
People hit with a severe loss or similar will often pinball all over the place emotionally.  I see it all the time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This exactly ^

I think the ones complaining about our humorous comments need to turn in their man card, and stop hiding in the closet about their secretly being libs.  Their vajay swelling up sort of blew their cover!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one was fucking cheering or celebrating.  One side just didn't give a fuck a bunch of douchebag hippy libtard artists and their closest friends got smoked and made fun of them in the finest GD tradition.  Then the white knights and delicate sensitive wallflowers on the other side took offense and started calling them cunts and rude and mean and nasty, so the first side started crying and then big daddy stepped in and shut every one down and told everybody to go to their rooms until they could play together nice.

Don't know why OP felt the need to stir shit up again.  GD gonna D.

This exactly ^

So you are going to fuck up this thread too?

Explain what exactly you find humorous about this fire?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This exactly ^

View Quote

Try your "humorous comments" in the Gatlinburg Fire thread and see how long you get to stay around.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Try your "humorous comments" in the Gatlinburg Fire thread and see how long you get to stay around.
View Quote

He's just one of a growing of shitposting 16'ers with noting invested in the forum, who are trying to be "edgy" as they desperately clammer for approval.

The ignore button is an excellent tool for filtering them out.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So you are going to fuck up this thread too?

Explain what exactly you find humorous about this fire?
View Quote

Its kinda EXACTLY like when a crackhead burns himself up smoking crack. Zero fucks given then too! One less crackhead kinda dealio...

<Removed -40xb> u would realize that those people u cry over would like too shit all over your rights. Maybe you all should drive down there and drop off flowers and teddy bears.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Its kinda EXACTLY like when a crackhead burns himself up smoking crack. Zero fucks given then too! One less crackhead kinda dealio...

If you were smarter than a flea u would realize that those people u cry over would like too shit all over your rights. Maybe you all should drive down there and drop off flowers and teddy bears.
View Quote

I wonder if you are as stupid as you sound.  You type like a 12 year old.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He's just one of a growing of shitposting 16'ers with noting invested in the forum, who are trying to be "edgy" as they desperately clammer for approval.

The ignore button is an excellent tool for filtering them out.
View Quote

Noted, though it appears that he's trying to get himself 'ignored' the fast way.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bunch of sad ass pathetic people we have here sometimes. For the ones saying "oh well", you do realize that conservatives also go to these parties right?

Of course you didn't because that would require use of an actual brain attached to your body. I step into the Gatlinburg thread, and leave thinking this place is amazing.
Then some of the people posting in this thread and the nuked one remind me that there are scum everywhere. Sickening.
View Quote

That's because one thread was about Tennessee and the other California.  

There's blinding rage-hate for anything and everything California around here that borders on the psychotic.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you were smarter than a flea u would realize that those people u cry over would like too shit all over your rights. Maybe you all should drive down there and drop off flowers and teddy bears.
View Quote

Bullshit. Go try to be edgy and cool somewhere else, kid.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's very sad. But when your young you think everything will be fine and nothing will happen. You don't go to a party and make sure there are sprinklers and enough exits.

Looking back on some of the places I used to go to punk shows I'm honestly amazed some of them didn't burn down or collapse.  Sketchy would be generous.  Never gave it a thought at the time.

Same here.

Me too.
CBs and ABC No Rio in NYC immediately come to mind.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

<Removed -40xb> u would realize that those people u cry over would like too shit all over your rights. Maybe you all should drive down there and drop off flowers and teddy bears.
View Quote

Lol, its "That guy".

In before "familiar"
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#18]
More info on the "crack house".

Drug House
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have used a non related analogy. These people did not set themselves on fire and again we are better than the leftists as we
have compassion for others. You are making huge assumptions about these people and it is sad that you are even a member of this
forum.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's pretty sad... and a terrible way to die.

I enjoy a bit of EDM myself, but some of those "underground" raves are put on in pretty sketchy places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's pretty sad... and a terrible way to die.

I enjoy a bit of EDM myself, but some of those "underground" raves are put on in pretty sketchy places.

I've been in a few skeevy places for concerts myself and can't cast stones. I did a lot. A. Lot. of burn work in residency. Thermal injury ranks near the top of my nightmare list of ways to die or almost die.

Quoted:
Sad.
I have partied in some sketchy spots like that back in the day both in NYC and L.A.

Also: Blah, blah, blah, hippies, leftists and dopers..... Remember The Station nightclub Great White concert fire? This stuff can happen to anybody, anytime. Fire DGAF what kinda music you like or your political ideology.

Some of the worst victims from the Station nightclub fire in RI came to my SICU service. That made a lasting impression on me. Now I can't attend a music event without mentally mapping an exit for myself & loved ones, including alternates and anticipated human obstacles.

Anyone who thinks lightly of this needs to watch the amateur video of the Station fire. It's not the screaming that punches you in the gut. It's the screams dying out as the fire roils on.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, he's in a mess.   He's hurt and he's definitely cut up about his friend who he had to leave behind - put to 1 minute he's barely keeping it together.

I think the move to talking about the loss of his stuff was a coping mechanism rather than a lack of care. Like finding something which is a bit sad to focus on instead of focusing on the real tragedy before your eyes. I doubt it had even registered at that point that his friend and many others had lost their lives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see where you're coming from, to me I think he just may be a huge narcissist So Cal "artist" who is incapable of empathy as so many hipster artists are. . . . .

I also base this (and I know the source is sketch) as the guy just doubled down about 12 hours ago with a facebook post he had to remove again talking about the loss of his stuff. I'm telling you I think this guy is just a POS burnout artist. Either way a shit storm is coming for him regardless of if he's empathetic or not. . . . but I find it odd he talks about his loss of stuff over and over and over again when he should be talking about his friend he had to leave behind to burn to death in a warehouse fire.

Could be a different guy too, the guy in the interview had a hat, big coat, and sunglasses on. think it's the same though

Ion wrote a Facebook post saying the the fire -- which most likely killed more than 50 people -- has left him "standing now in poverty of self worth." He was grateful his wife and kids were safe, but his focus seemed to be mostly on losing stuff he "worked so hard for"... and now he's getting blasted

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/04/oakland-warehouse-fire-derrick-ion-arrest-record/
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#24]
At Least 36 Dead In Oakland Warehouse Fire, Toll Expected To Rise | NBC Nightly News
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Check out what the ex-tenant says at 0:47.

Life In The Ghost Ship: Ex-Tenants, Visitors Describe Warehouse Conditions Before Fire
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:14:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I remember people saying I should get banned for pointing out instances were the right were no better than the left ethically from things said here because I was "disparaging the site".

This after I watched a thread get locked literally for promoting infanticide.

Right, @Zan ?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Names and biographies for 17 of 36 killed in the fire were released today. https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-oakland-fire-victims-2016-story,amp.html
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:01:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Boooooom... headshot!
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah, well that will get a thread nuked

GD brings out the worst in some people
View Quote

Some morons seem to think that GD gives them the right to show the world their ass.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Probably nuked because people were cheering about the deaths
View Quote

WTF?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Manager was on the today show just now....Matt was asking the hard questions and he flipped all the way out.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
People thought it was funny to make fun of fellow citizens who were killed in a fire. As someone who happens to live in Berkeley, CA and attends shows like this, I'm bummed to see some of our members responces.  There are many of us living behind enemy lines... why don't people here understand that?
View Quote

"attends shows"?

WTF?

WTFuckity fuck?

Junior, there is much culture in the east bay. That warehouse wasn't any part of it.  I'm sorry you live in Berkley, not a lot of people, other then students and faculty do, and most that do live there survive by sucking government teat.  Feinstein, and Boxer are your peeps. Get over bitching at us on an internet board, and call them out in real life. GROW stones, and lay blame where it lives.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Another article.

The more and more it's being reporter the more I believe this guy is the epitome of a POS

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oakland-warehouse-operator-sparks-outrage-for-mourning-loss-of-venue-not-victims-193226659.html

Oakland warehouse operator sparks outrage for mourning loss of venue — not victims

The operator of the converted warehouse in Oakland, Calif., where a fire broke out during a dance party on Friday night, killing at least 33 people, has been widely criticized over his initial response to the tragedy.

“Everything I worked so hard for is gone,” Derick Ion Almena wrote in a Facebook post early Saturday morning. “Blessed that my children and Micah were at a hotel safe and sound … it’s as if I have awoken from a dream filled with opulence and hope … to be standing now in poverty of self worth.”

Almena’s post was met with immediate backlash from Facebook users for omitting any mention of the victims.

“Not one mention of the people burned to death in your death trap building,” one wrote. “You are a real piece of work.”

“All you worked on? What about those who have died?” wrote another. “I lost two very close and dear friends in the fire and all you seem to care about is whatever material stuff you owned, which can be replaced unless the lives your death trap has taken.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"attends shows"?

WTF?

WTFuckity fuck?

View Quote

What's wrong with that?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Another article.

The more and more it's being reporter the more I believe this guy is the epitome of a POS

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oakland-warehouse-operator-sparks-outrage-for-mourning-loss-of-venue-not-victims-193226659.html

View Quote

From what I've been reading from different articles it basically boils down to this.

* Him and his wife were charging tenants between $500-$1500 each to live there (no running water, heat etc)
* Told his friends that he had given up on parenting and now feeds his kids 99c cheeseburgers.
* Would drop their 3 kids off with a teenage babysitter for weeks on end to go on drug binges.
* Would have sex orgy's with the kids present at the party (Person said one of the kids was once seen picking up a used condom)
* Friends say he was doing meth and would go into complete rages and was very controlling. Kids were scared of him.
* Tenants would get kicked out all the time and he would take all of their belongings and keep it.

It goes on and on..but yeah he is a POS for what I've read.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

From what I've been reading from different articles it basically boils down to this.

* Him and his wife were charging tenants between $500-$1500 each to live there (no running water, heat etc)
* Told his friends that he had given up on parenting and now feeds his kids 99c cheeseburgers.
* Would drop their 3 kids off with a teenage babysitter for weeks on end to go on drug binges.
* Would have sex orgy's with the kids present at the party (Person said one of the kids was once seen picking up a used condom)
* Friends say he was doing meth and would go into complete rages and was very controlling. Kids were scared of him.
* Tenants would get kicked out all the time and he would take all of their belongings and keep it.

View Quote

Damn.

The reports I saw said it was a nightclub fire.

What exactly was this place?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Damn.

View Quote

It was a warehouse converted into artists' living, working, and performance spaces by means of stuffing it with as much flammable junk and improvised construction as possible. Pictures here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Damn.

View Quote

A dilapidated, run down, warehouse that housed a drug addled family and various hangers on.
Hippies, gypsies, meth heads, crack heads, et al...
Possibly rented out for some kind of party with music.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone happy about this is some kind of creep.  It doesn't matter if the victims were followers of a different political ideology and may have been drug users.  You don't just make light of the situation when dozens of innocent people burned to death.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#43]
A hose to shower, their starving lice-infested kids fed by neighbors and a life of drugs and partying that revolved around
Burning Man: The seedy underside of the Ghost Ship operator and his wife

Ghost Ship
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Media blaming the city now for not shutting it down.

Looks like the city did "shut it down" by removing the gas and electric meters. Short of seizing the property and putting int into conservatorship, which takes a long time in court, theres not much the city can do to "shut down" a property with an absentee owner.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#45]
We don't have anything really like that here, regular housing is easy to find so there is no incentive to divide a warehouse up into  shoddy apartments.

What we DO have a a shit pile of crappy bars  (over 500) in run down 50- 80 year old office buildings or old warehouses that have packed crowds every weekend.   The code compliance guys are just ignored or worse, actively threatened. Some clubs they have to go into with police escort.

Every single one of them in the entire bar district is a deathtrap.  EMS cannot get in to people needing them, police cannot get in when fights/stabbings break out and if any of them caught fire the whole place would go up like a marshmallow on a stick.  One door in front, sometimes one alley door in back that is usually locked.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I gathered as well. It sucks for the visitors but the guy running the show was a meth head and thief
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Media blaming the city now for not shutting it down.

Looks like the city did "shut it down" by removing the gas and electric meters. Short of seizing the property and putting int into conservatorship, which takes a long time in court, theres not much the city can do to "shut down" a property with an absentee owner.
View Quote

The women on 1 of the TV interviews made it sound like they had bypassed the meter to get power and blew up a transformer
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The women on 1 of the TV interviews made it sound like they had bypassed the meter to get power and blew up a transformer
View Quote

Yea she was saying when you would tun on your heater everyone's electricity would go off in the in the warehouse. Either it was an electrical fire or someone downstairs was cooking meth.

Death toll rises to 36 in Oakland warehouse fire
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A dilapidated, run down, warehouse that housed a drug addled family and various hangers on.
Hippies, gypsies, meth heads, crack heads, et al...
Possibly rented out for some kind of party with music.
View Quote

Ah right.  Thanks.

Basically a cluttered doss house then.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I foresee the city facing massive litigation. Local bay area news said they had issues reported back to 2004 on this place.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top