BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quote from local newspaper:

"City records show that there were habitability complaints made against the property's owner as recently as November 14 regarding an "illegal interior building structure." City inspectors appear to have visited the building on that date, but were unable to verify whether there were code violations. The city's investigation was still pending when the fire broke out last night."

Somebody dropped the ball!!!
View Quote

From what the news reported yesterday - it sounded like city inspectors went there but couldn't get in.
I assumed it was some sort of hippie commune that chased them away or a locked building that people break into so they can have raves.  
Either way, the city can't just force their way in without a warrant.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I always love it when people on a supposed freedom loving firearms forum suggest more government intervention.

View Quote

So you'd be okay with your neighbor piling his "art" and blocking the sidewalk and turning his place into a nightclub because freedom?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
These things are in the grey area between private partys and actual business's. The fact they usually roll on weekends nights when the Police are busy with all the mayhem means nobody usually bothers them.

They are big money makers for the gangs. They charge at the door, gets bars up and running, sell drugs, and keep shuffling the money from person to person. Very tough to prosecute and the big ones used to grease the right people. They dont pay taxes, dont pay for Licenses, arent ever inspected by Fire or other agencys. They used to be all over the place and would move from place to place too.

And they made stacks of cash. I originally thought this was an arson cause the gangs are always feuding over these things but it looks like just a bunch of starving artists.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]
   Oakland, Calif., officials say death total raised to 30 in warehouse fire; officials say 'we are still not done'

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The more that comes out, it sounds like the building owner and the guy who leased it belong in jail.
View Quote

The leasee sounds like a real peach.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Any idea yet what started the fire ?

This sucks, first the Gatlinburg fire now this.

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FPNI-hopefully there were some timeouts handed down!
View Quote

If not, there should have been.  Just damn, cheering because some kids got killed in a fire.  That just ain't right.

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#8]
While sad it's pretty bad that Oakland is getting more coverage that Gatlinburg nationally.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Artists collective.

Those people ARFCOM loves to hate, dress different, think different.

Fucking horror show is what it is and a bunch of people need to go to prison for this.

This kind of shit doesn't need to happen in a first world country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously? Who was in the warehouse?

Artists collective.

Fucking horror show is what it is and a bunch of people need to go to prison for this.

This kind of shit doesn't need to happen in a first world country.

Starting with the city officials who turned a blind eye to it.  Building owner is going to be gutted in court.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Sad.
I have partied in some sketchy spots like that back in the day both in NYC and L.A.

Also: Blah, blah, blah, hippies, leftists and dopers..... Remember The Station nightclub Great White concert fire? This stuff can happen to anybody, anytime. Fire DGAF what kinda music you like or your political ideology.

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Saw that....posted the quote from him on the other thread right about the time it got nuked!

Narcissistic fucker needs some pound in the ass prison time!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowflake proprietor moaning on fukbook that he lost his cash cow.

Saw that....posted the quote from him on the other thread right about the time it got nuked!

Narcissistic fucker needs some pound in the ass prison time!!

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he sees some time behind bars.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]
   Alameda County, Calif., deputy's son is among the dead in Oakland warehouse fire, officials say - @demianbulwa

Officials confirm teenagers among victims of Oakland, Calif., warehouse fire

Officials: 33 people now confirmed dead in Oakland, Calif., warehouse fire; approximately 35% of building searched

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The assumption that there was likely a large amount of drug use happening in this place caused a lot of butthurt in the old thread but I think it's likely a contributing factor. A bunch of people out of their minds on various drugs just aren't going to be able to save themselves in a fire. It's not judgment but fact

Previous video from the 2nd floor party area:

d-Jma50bAMs</iframe>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what caused the fire, too much weed?

The assumption that there was likely a large amount of drug use happening in this place caused a lot of butthurt in the old thread but I think it's likely a contributing factor. A bunch of people out of their minds on various drugs just aren't going to be able to save themselves in a fire. It's not judgment but fact

Previous video from the 2nd floor party area:

d-Jma50bAMs</iframe>

Yeah, no.

The show that was going on the night of the fire was nothing like that.  The music and presentation is nothing like that.  No video presentation and the music was downtempo ambient electronica.  That doesn't usually inspire people rolling on E or LSD.  Especially at 11pm.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, no.

The show that was going on the night of the fire was nothing like that.  The music and presentation is nothing like that.  No video presentation and the music was downtempo ambient electronica.  That doesn't usually inspire people rolling on E or LSD.  Especially at 11pm.
View Quote

Lol OK bro. You must have a lot of experience with drug use.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#16]
First Person Account From Survivor Of The Deadly Oakland Warehouse Fires
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no.

I wasn't there.  You weren't there.

That said, you do a little research and you can start figuring things out.

Watch the interviews of survivors.  They don't sound like they are all fucked up on drugs.  They were just artists that were enjoying a musical act.  Could there have been some that did drugs?  Possibly.  Could most be sober?  Possibly.

To say that about me and drug use is quite a stretch and really shows a lapse in rational thought.  That's not a surprise considering your join date and post count.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My old roommate for one...he got out though. 
View Quote

My daughter knows someone who was planning to go but couldn't get off work.

TC
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I didn't see anyone cheering or celebrating in that thread.
View Quote

No one was fucking cheering or celebrating.  One side just didn't give a fuck a bunch of douchebag hippy libtard artists and their closest friends got smoked and made fun of them in the finest GD tradition.  Then the white knights and delicate sensitive wallflowers on the other side took offense and started calling them cunts and rude and mean and nasty, so the first side started crying and then big daddy stepped in and shut every one down and told everybody to go to their rooms until they could play together nice.

Don't know why OP felt the need to stir shit up again.  GD gonna D.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sad.
I have partied in some sketchy spots like that back in the day both in NYC and L.A.

Also: Blah, blah, blah, hippies, leftists and dopers..... Remember The Station nightclub Great White concert fire? This stuff can happen to anybody, anytime. Fire DGAF what kinda music you like or your political ideology.
View Quote

The Station fire video is one of the most gruesome and disturbing things I've ever seen, and given the amount of time I've spent working in small clubs, I'd be an idiot not to learn something from it.

One, the death toll was high because most of patrons made for the main entrance, creating a bottleneck.  You can bet that if there's a fire at my current club job, and there's a crowd between me and the main door, I'm heading into the kitchen and out the side.

Two, there is no VIP area in case of fire.  There were reports of a security guard prohibiting people from using the backstage exit.  Fuck that; if I can direct people to safety through a previously restricted area, I will.

Three, discourage club owners from doing stupid shit.  The reason that smoke was so toxic was because the foam that they used for soundproofing was shit.  If I'm asked my opinion on a modification to the building, and I believe that it would create a hazard, the answer is FUCK THAT.

Four, do not let bands and their crew do stupid shit.  It still blows my mind that that TM set up pyrotechnics in such a place, that no one said screw you buddy, not gonna happen (nicely and with professionalism, of course).

So much fail on the part of that band and that club that night.  It's still sickening.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:29:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There's plenty of evidence that the safety hazards were known and the city knew about them. I'm interested in why was the owner given a pass?

The only path to the 2nd floor was a freaking pile of pallets with varying step heights,  some as high as your waist, and there was only one exit on the first floor
View Quote

That the city may have ignored this structure is obviously worth pursuing but you have to wonder about the common sense of people when they cannot see a problem with pallets as stairs.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No one was fucking cheering or celebrating.  One side just didn't give a fuck a bunch of douchebag hippy libtard artists and their closest friends got smoked and made fun of them in the finest GD tradition.  Then the white knights and delicate sensitive wallflowers on the other side took offense and started calling them cunts and rude and mean and nasty, so the first side started crying and then big daddy stepped in and shut every one down and told everybody to go to their rooms until they could play together nice.

Don't know why OP felt the need to stir shit up again.  GD gonna D.
View Quote

Oh, look.. We found one.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Terrible news.  

My friends and I spent a couple days trying to get in touch with a few SF and Oakland friends who are into that scene.  Both are OK but are themselves missing friends who were planning to go to that show .  

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:45:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That the city may have ignored this structure is obviously worth pursuing but you have to wonder about the common sense of people when they cannot see a problem with pallets as stairs.
View Quote

I posted this article in the thread that was nuked.  Yes, you have to wonder about common sense, but there is also a fair amount of belligerence among artists who feel like they're being harassed by their local fire marshall.  Take this quote, for instance:

"WE ARE THE UNDERGROUND.  WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER.  IN THE SHADOWS WE ARE FREE."

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/dallas-underground-dance-parties-struggle-to-survive-city-crackdown-8000794
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Station fire video is one of the most gruesome and disturbing things I've ever seen, and given the amount of time I've spent working in small clubs, I'd be an idiot not to learn something from it.

One, the death toll was high because most of patrons made for the main entrance, creating a bottleneck.  You can bet that if there's a fire at my current club job, and there's a crowd between me and the main door, I'm heading into the kitchen and out the side.

Two, there is no VIP area in case of fire.  There were reports of a security guard prohibiting people from using the backstage exit.  Fuck that; if I can direct people to safety through a previously restricted area, I will.

Three, discourage club owners from doing stupid shit.  The reason that smoke was so toxic was because the foam that they used for soundproofing was shit.  If I'm asked my opinion on a modification to the building, and I believe that it would create a hazard, the answer is FUCK THAT.

Four, do not let bands and their crew do stupid shit.  It still blows my mind that that TM set up pyrotechnics in such a place, that no one said screw you buddy, not gonna happen (nicely and with professionalism, of course).

So much fail on the part of that band and that club that night.  It's still sickening.
View Quote

The Station fire video is still crazy to watch. You can see a guy walking out of the building on fire at @6:17.

Great White The Station nightclub fire West Warwick, Rhode Island
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:50:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Californians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably nuked because people were cheering about the deaths

Seriously? Who was in the warehouse?

Californians.

<Not appropriate -40xb>

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#27]
On the news earlier the interviewed one of the residents and survivors. He said there was all sorts of paints everywhere from the "artists" with cobbled and haphazard wires everywhere for electricity. But he said it was the only home he's ever known and other ramblings. Then they asked if he felt the place was safe.

He answered, without pause, no.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:16:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Artist Collective 'The Ghost Ship' Was Not Permitted For Concerts Or Tenants
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:17:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Bunch of sad ass pathetic people we have here sometimes. For the ones saying "oh well", you do realize that conservatives also go to these parties right?

Of course you didn't because that would require use of an actual brain attached to your body.

I step into the Gatlinburg thread, and leave thinking this place is amazing.
Then some of the people posting in this thread and the nuked one remind me that there are scum everywhere. Sickening.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:23:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If not, there should have been.  Just damn, cheering because some kids got killed in a fire.  That just ain't right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI-hopefully there were some timeouts handed down!

Shoot.  Don't meander over to the thread about the chick killed in Germany then.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:32:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would have been better nuking the accounts of the people cheering than binning the thread.

Good excuse to clean house and remove some of the scum from this site who care little for it's reputation.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:47:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's very sad. But when your young you think everything will be fine and nothing will happen. You don't go to a party and make sure there are sprinklers and enough exits.
View Quote

Looking back on some of the places I used to go to punk shows I'm honestly amazed some of them didn't burn down or collapse.  Sketchy would be generous.  Never gave it a thought at the time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:01:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Don't get distracted.

There are more important issues.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"Artists collective.

This kind of shit doesn't need to happen in a first world country."

Old run down building chock full of flammable shit and people making living spaces out of a place that was never meant to be lived in. To a decent degree, they brought this on themselves.  Over a span of 20 years, I've been to plenty of punk/hardcore shows in basements, livingrooms, warehouses and other structures much like the one that burned down in Oakland. The vast majority of those spaces were run down to one degree or another and Firetraps themselves, usually with one way out and in..... never gave it much thought at the time though.... this being California, wonder if this will spur legislation banning these types of collective art/concert spaces unless they have some kind of state sanctioned licensing (or more vigorously enforce laws on the books)....
View Quote

but enforcing laws already on the books is not the California way. More laws are better laws.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#35]
I've known the guy that was performing at the time since junior high.  He's torn up about it, but physically okay, so that's a relief for me.  If I were in his place, I'd be tearing into his tour manager for even thinking of having a show in that place.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why this building was not shut down and all tenants removed by the city is the glaring question that needs to be answered. I believe the last inspector went through the building on 11/14.
View Quote
hang everyone responsible

Codes have uses, most of them reasonable and for safety
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sad.

View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Hell, I've been at the station.  That place was tiny, overcrowded,  and a maze. We went once, and said "fuck this place".
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

... If true, that is fucked up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... If true, that is fucked up.

If true?
You're talking about a site where some members celebrated the death of another member's brother who was killed trying to stop a robbery in 2011.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#40]
News report this morning said now 33 morts...and they've suspended recovery efforts until the structure can be shored up. 

Apparently they're having to remove the bodies in buckets. The FD spokesman spoke to 'pieces of bodies'. 

The guy who organized the 'rave' is a convicted felon who apparently had no permit nor any regard for the warnings people were giving him on the danger of the situation. I'm hoping he's indicted for manslaughter and depraved indifference. 

Now 36 morts...only 11 identified. 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Now I can't find it in my subscriptions it just vanished?

Anyways just wanted to update the thread that the death toll is up from 9 to 24 today.
View Quote
Death toll now 36 but city still determining identity of most victims
8 of 11 confirmed names listed here https://www.google.com/amp/kron4.com/2016/12/05/death-toll-rises-to-36-in-oakland-warehouse-fire/amp/
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
While sad it's pretty bad that Oakland is getting more coverage that Gatlinburg nationally.
View Quote

White House tweeted a statement today.http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-death-toll-grows-36-oakland-warehouse-fire-43981817 "President Barack Obama is expressing his sympathies to the people of Oakland as families of victims and residents deal with one of the worst fires in the state's history."
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#43]
It really sucks that we had forum members cheering this.  

I know we all have different opinions on various things but I didn't know we had any members that mentally twisted.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't imagine why a thread about a warehouse full of Oakland hipsters going up in flames would get locked, nope.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Looking back on some of the places I used to go to punk shows I'm honestly amazed some of them didn't burn down or collapse.  Sketchy would be generous.  Never gave it a thought at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's very sad. But when your young you think everything will be fine and nothing will happen. You don't go to a party and make sure there are sprinklers and enough exits.

Same here.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Death toll now 36 but city still determining identity of most victims
8 of 11 confirmed names listed here https://www.google.com/amp/kron4.com/2016/12/05/death-toll-rises-to-36-in-oakland-warehouse-fire/amp/
View Quote

Just heard this latest toll on the radio on the way home from work.

Very sad.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hell, I've been at the station.  That place was tiny, overcrowded,  and a maze. We went once, and said "fuck this place".
View Quote

I remember going to a club in DC that you literally walked into a tiny hallway, went through security, down some stairs to the basement, all the way across the building to another set of stairs in the back to the "first floor", which was completely painted black.   I distinctly remember ONE marked exit sign that was above the door, which would immediately have gotten covered in smoke if anything happened.

Luckily it was pretty barren in there minus giant speakers and the bar, but just made me really uneasy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm sure it's been talked about but did anyone watch the CNN interview with the artist who was renting?

Was the damnedest thing I've ever seen

He talks about how he couldn't pull his friend out so he had to leave him there, then like 30 seconds later he's talking about how happy he is about the support he's getting from the community and his followers, then tries to high-five the camera reporter.

Seriously, knowing that your horrible death is just a 20 second blip on the guys radar is frightening. I tried to find the interview on CNN but it wasn't posted on Saturday when I attempted to. It's seriously a WTF moment. This guy is clinical narcissist and it's obvious he has very little remorse about what happened.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm sure it's been talked about but did anyone watch the CNN interview with the artist who was renting?

Was the damnedest thing I've ever seen

He talks about how he couldn't pull his friend out so he had to leave him there, then like 30 seconds later he's talking about how happy he is about the support he's getting from the community and his followers, then tries to high-five the camera reporter.

Seriously, knowing that your horrible death is just a 20 second blip on the guys radar is frightening. I tried to find the interview on CNN but it wasn't posted on Saturday when I attempted to. It's seriously a WTF moment. This guy is clinical narcissist and it's obvious he has very little remorse about what happened.
View Quote

A simpler explanation is that he was in a state of shock. Everyone handles a near-death experience differently, and I bet he wasn't in the clearest of minds when he gave that interview. A lot of "oh, the horror" mixed in with "I'm glad I'm alive.."
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A simpler explanation is that he was in a state of shock. Everyone handles a near-death experience differently, and I bet he wasn't in the clearest of minds when he gave that interview. A lot of "oh, the horror" mixed in with "I'm glad I'm alive.."
View Quote

Was thinking the same.  Seen some very good people say some messed up and almost unbelievable stuff when they have had a traumatic experience and the gravity of what has happened simply has not had time to hit home.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top