Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 39
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Icons for the new posts looks bad. Can we just keep the damn folders? 

It looks like I have a friend request on facebook. 
View Quote

I came here to ask what those were, and I have to agree now that I know... this is the first change I actually dislike enough to whine about.

ETA: Already reverted so maybe not then?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Screenshot helps a lot. I'll see if I can adjust.

Edit - Ok so using the page down key instead of mouse scrolling this happens. There's not much I can do with that since each pc/browser will be a different resolution and page down literally just pages down. The sticky bar is just stuck to the top of the page. So what happens is different resolutions will end up in different places. I'm not sure I can fix this because it's not anything we can control. I mean I could hack something, but if I mess with the page down key it could screw up something else and if I mess with a re-scroll to adjust placement, it would have to be done based on users viewport size and what's on the page, which could get real ugly. I don't think it's going to be possible.
View Quote

I think it's browser specific.  Using FF on multiple systems always behaves the same.  wonder if FF treats page down differently than Chrome or IE where it isn't a problem.  Is there a way to disable the floating toolbar from user settings?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Could just be me but the "new posts" folders have vanished in HTTPS mode.  Tried refreshing and clearing cache already.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shift+Reload (or CTRL+Reload) to update the files you need new copies of. No easy way around it, but it should be good for now.

It will also grab the newer script files which simplified video junk for those having issues.
View Quote

Thanks. I thought I was losing it for a moment there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did these little blue guys come from and what do they mean?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Ctrl + Shift + R fixed up my folders in Chrome.

FYI for anyone having the issue.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The blue guys are normally the mod list for a forum.   If they're in the place of the folder icon, Ctrl + F5.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably already mentioned, not reading back, mobile forum thread icons fucked up. 

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Probably already mentioned, not reading back, mobile forum thread icons fucked up. 

https://s20.postimg.org/5hkndyxcd/Screenshot_20170104_174824.png
View Quote

Clear cache on mobile chrome fixed. 
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://s20.postimg.org/5hkndyxcd/Screenshot_20170104_174824.png
View Quote

Looks like that on my iPhone 6, as well. I can't get my website data to pull up so I can clear it. I'm not "clearing all" and losing all of my passwords and crap just for this place. Rather ridiculous, imho.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I can finally see the bottom of the Emocons window.  

And I would still like to move its window to the side.  This way I can keep typing and add more Emotions as needed without having to constantly reopen the window.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Please get rid of the little blue guys icons.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
shift+f5 will fix the blue guys in place of folder.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for fixing the military icons, MUCH better!
How do I get the Army star?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Looks like that on my iPhone 6, as well. I can't get my website data to pull up so I can clear it. I'm not "clearing all" and losing all of my passwords and crap just for this place. Rather ridiculous, imho.
View Quote
I just refreshed the website on iPad and all is good. 
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you don't know how your specific browser reloads a page and ignores it's cached files, check the following:

Wikipedia - Bypass your Cache or Refresh Your Cache!
View Quote

Clearing cache on iOS clears everything for all sites I frequently visit. A lot of trouble to redo passwords and settings.

Either way, I have folders back now. Looks normal again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Shift+Reload (or CTRL+Reload) to update the files you need new copies of. No easy way around it, but it should be good for now.

It will also grab the newer script files which simplified video junk for those having issues.
View Quote

Got an option for those in chrome on an Android device that doesn't require us to clear our browser data?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you don't know how your specific browser reloads a page and ignores it's cached files, check the following:

Wikipedia - Bypass your Cache or Refresh Your Cache!
View Quote

This worked for me.  I guess I didn't understand the difference between ctrl+r, ctrl+f5 and ctrl+shift+r.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Regarding Refreshing Cache...
I understand that there's a way to name the files to append the date/time to the file name, so that your computer reloads them, rather than resorting to cache.
Not sure how that messes with server load.  I just know that we dealt with a similar issue in our software, and that's what our developers did it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I would like to see the search feature expanded for the EE. Instead of searching the entire EE, I would like to be able to choose a specific category (ie. Night Vision, or lower receivers)
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#27]
@goatboy I've mentioned this a couple times, but can we fix how posts from ignored users pop up? I don't like how they're huge red banners that stick out like sore thumbs. If they're on ignore, the last thing I want to see is a huge red bar telling me they posted something.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I use an iPad to surf the web.  The report button is now right above the next page button.  Can you move it back to the left.  I keep hitting the damn report button cause they are so close.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd like to revisit My Board, which I think could be one of the best ways to access the site. Here is what my current board looks like...

Attachment Attached File

it's 2 pages long on a PC screen, requiring scrolling. Here is how I propose that it look. Things I changed:

1. removed the subforum descriptions...any subscriber already knows what they are.
2. moved the 'posted by' thing to the far right next to the date/time to allow the entire subforum 'line' to be narrowed vertically.
3. combined the "drop down" menu bar and the "active topics/newest topics/etc." bars, both of which use about half the screen in widescreen presentation
4. replicated #3 at the bottom of the My Board
5. trimmed up the info at the bottom of the site. Honestly, I think a lot of it could "go" on the My Board page...people setting one up a) know this stuff and b) will see it on every other page on the site they visit so...does it need to be there at all? Ditto the add bar at the bottom...it's already at the top of every single page.
6. moved the description of what My Board is on to the "forum tools" line...having both seems like a waste of space
7. Removed the gray "forum" bars...for the same reason as #1

What I didn't do: reduce the size of add banners / $-generators or remove any functionality/info presented.

These changes result in a lot more vertical screen space efficiency which allows the user to put many more subforums on their 'my board'...making it a natural 'starting place' for a regular user that wants to browse their fav forum. What was once 2 pages is now 1. Behold:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you go to to the bottom of any forum (bottom right corner) there's a search box. That will do a wildcard search inside that specific forum only.
View Quote

it would still be helpful to be able to select specific forums from the main search

i.e. you want to search 3 different ee forums for a search term that's relatively rare in those specific forums but common elsewhere
used to be you could just hit back and change the forum selection, now you'd have to navigate to each forum and type in the search term separately
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There are a lot of changes/upgrades scheduled for the EE to transition to a more transnational based system. By that I mean that you list an item and you sell an item. Very simple, more robust, better searching, better everything. No ETA as of yet, but a lot of groundwork was done for it. It's mostly changes in how listings are created which will allow us a lot more power in creating tools around them. (As with most things, nothing is set in stone and this will require a LOT of interaction from EE staff/mods/users.)
View Quote

I like the sound of that

then again, I also liked the sound of the last new EE and we all know how that turned out
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I have COMPLETELY emptied my cache on my Chromebook a couple times now.  I am still unable to embed a youtube video.  

The video shows up empty with the title PLACEHOLDER for your video.  attempting again in this post

OK this posted? I had ASSUMED since they never would before and showed and empty video it was the same.  Now it shows empty video but guess it posts anyway??

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A lot of this (most) is already on the to do list. Thank you for taking the type to write this up. I'll actually use this post as I work through fixes.
View Quote

This is why we love you GB.  Keep up the good work man, it's coming together!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Never mind. Fixed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#37]
My eyes started bleeding after 20 pages,so I don't  know if this has been addressed.

Why is the cursor in the Post Editor so microscopically tiny? My old eyes almost can't see it, as it's way smaller than the "normal" font size. Shouldn't it be the same size as the font?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Mine suddenly stopped showing folders for sections with new posts and also on the threads that are new too.  The old  ones still show an image on the far left side.  I hate this new format here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm a simple gun loving working man, this new stuff should go, change back to good old ar15.com please.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Something that has cropped up in the past week or so.

When replying to a post, if I hit a smiley and then carriage return (enter) to a new line I will get the smiley again as many times as I've hit the carriage return button.

Here is an example, one press of the abused smiley and 5 hits on the carriage return and I get this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Windows 10Pro
Firefox 50.1.0
I've been getting this message a couple times a day the last few days.

Content Encoding Error

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#42]
@Goatboy, no ability to report threads while on mobile device??
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd like to offer a suggestion in regards to the collapsed quote trees:

- Instead of having two choices when clicking on the "quote" button, return the button to its original function (no multiple choice) with the following behavior:
    - Make the maximum number of visible quotes 2 or 3 before collapsing the tree (leaving the 2 or 3 quotes visible), and showing the "view all quotes" button.  The idea is to display a snippet of discussion, which sometimes turns into a non-sequitur when truncated by the fully-collapsed tree.
    - For mobile devices, leave the functionality of the display the same to save space, but return the button to a single function. I not a web programmer, but if conditional statements are supported then something to the effect of "if quotes >1, then add 'view all quotes' button" might serve to replace the two choice quote button.

Sorry if something like this has already been posted; 34 pages is a bit much to read through.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
+10000

Hate the recent change in the past few days.  Liked the older way to determine if there are new posts.  Renewed too early...  
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Can anyone tell me how to revert back to the new mobile site?

For some reason i couldnt reply to a PM on the mobile site so hit the "request computer version" on my samsung s7 web browser and now im stuck on the full site for some dumb reason.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@Goatboy, no ability to report threads while on mobile device??
View Quote

Turn your phone to landscape?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me how to revert back to the new mobile site?

For some reason i couldnt reply to a PM on the mobile site so hit the "request computer version" on my samsung s7 web browser and now im stuck on the full site for some dumb reason.
View Quote

Bottom of page as far right as possible you should find a mobile link...
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
+10000

Hate the recent change in the past few days.  Liked the older way to determine if there are new posts.  Renewed too early...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+10000

How to refresh your browser's cache
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Disregard. Fixed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I accidentally switched off the mobile site last night, and now can't find the info on how to get back.

Never I found it at the extreme bottom/right.
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top