Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2016 11:24:02 AM EDT
Someone here has to be....and if so, can you give some perspective on the type of $$ to be made doing this?

Maybe even education/path to getting into this...?

Greatly appreciated.!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Used to be. Driving a truck now until the work comes back.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#2]

You're a little late buddy
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, I'll bite: what's a "landman"?  Do you mean a real estate agent?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Take all the shots you want...

It's simply me asking questions...
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#5]
My father-in-law was/is.

He lives with his other daughter and drives for Uber.

Edit: He was making about $5k a month in mailbox money. He is terrible with money so there is that too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since about 30% of the qualified land men in the US are working in their field, you might not be able to get in. I know people with 10 years or more experience who are currently sitting home waiting on an opening. Why train someone new when staffing a opening is as easy as making a call to someone who knows what's up. The oilfield as a whole is pretty much currently in this position.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#7]
My best friend is and also was.

I say it like that because he often doesn't know month to month if he will be employed.  He's changed companies 5 times over the last year.

The only benefit he likes is the ability to work from home and arrange his schedule around having 3 small children.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#8]
The most important thing is you have to be a stone-cold liar while making people trust you at the same time.  

I did it briefly for a pipeline company in South Texas.  I don't like to dress up and lie to people so I got my ass back to maintenance/integrity as fast as I could.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#9]
whats a land man?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

A landman pretty much seems to go around and lie to people to buy the mineral rights on people's land for oil excavation. There are many variations here and dont want to paint them all as bad, but imagine a car sales man and a lawyer combined.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
whats a land man?
View Quote

A landman researches the current owner of mineral rights with the state and then contacts the owner and makes an offer to purchase a lease for a oilfield production company.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm a landman.  I would not bet the farm on starting a career in this right now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
whats a land man?
View Quote

From Wikipedia:

A Landman or "Petroleum Landman"—in the United States and Canada—is an individual who performs various services for oil and gas exploration companies. According to the website of the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL), these services include but are not limited to: negotiating for the acquisition or divestiture of mineral rights; negotiating business agreements that provide for the exploration and/or development of minerals; determining ownership in minerals through the research of public and private records; reviewing the status of title, curing title defects and otherwise reducing title risk associated with ownership in minerals; managing rights and/or obligations derived from ownership of interests in minerals; and unitizing or pooling of interests in minerals.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not taking shots.  Just letting you know you missed that boat.  Now is not the time to get into the oilfield in an entry level position unless money isn't a big concern and you just want to do it for fun.

I'll try to answer your money question, but know I haven't actually hired a contract landman in about two years.  Think I paid ~$450 to the company who carried him.  Not sure what his cut was of that, maybe 250-350?  That's self-employed taxable income with no benefits.  A $1400/day two years ago completion consultant can be had for $600/day today.  I'm sure the percentage cut for landmen isn't that drastic or they wouldn't be able to eat, but it paints the general picture of the industry.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm a landman.  I would not bet the farm on starting a career in this right now.
View Quote

Hopefully you are still working or, at the least, were employed by a company that didn't use "contractors" and are covered by unemployment.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#16]
This will be fun to watch! This is not the time to get into being a landman.

@pcsutton
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A landman pretty much seems to go around and lie to people to buy the mineral rights on people's land for oil excavation. There are many variations here and dont want to paint them all as bad, but imagine a car sales man and a lawyer combined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A guy from AZ talking about "oil excavation" probably does not have the breadth of experience to give an actual description.

Stop forming your opinions from Matt Damon movies.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This will be fun to watch! This is not the time to get into being a landman.@pcsutton
View Quote

Sounds like he's one of the few who still has work coming in.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A guy from AZ talking about "oil excavation" probably does not have the breadth of experience to give an actual description.

View Quote

A landman who lies won't last very long, oil companies have a major aversion to getting sued and losing. Since they have a paper trail on almost everything they do lying isn't a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

He probably got 1/8 and found out his neighbor got 3/16.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sounds like he's one of the few who still has work coming in.
View Quote

I managed to move in-house during this down turn after working for a crappy broker. 
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hopefully you are still working or, at the least, were employed by a company that didn't use "contractors" and are covered by unemployment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No such luck.  I turned down offers to come inside a couple of times when things were good.  Didn't want to lose the chance to work for higher paying clients.  I'm one of the few straight 1099 contractors I know.  No unemployment option.  

I agree with your comments on lying.  If I was anything but honest to both sides I would have been blacklisted long ago.  Anyone who does this and doesn't keep good records is a fool.  I have been in the crosshairs many times for insisting I get something beyond verbal.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Look, I'm an independent field landman and do contract work for numerous Oil & Gas Operators. I really have to take exception to a couple of ignorant statements in this thread. 

As a long time member of the American Association of Petroleum Landmen, the certifying entity for the industry segment I work in, I'm ethically bound to deal fairly on behalf of both sides of the coin. If I don't, (not that I wouldn't), I'm subject sanctions up to and including revocation of my professional accreditation. 

Nobody I know is out to take advantage of anybody...and even if they were...everything is spelled out in writing in legally executed and recorded documents. If you can read, you can't be ripped off. 

I really get a kick out of people who don't know the difference between mineral rights and a dope brush about the oil industry yet feel compelled to regurgitate the infinite wisdom gleaned from watching a Matt Damon movie. You're pretty pathetic. 

@Texaspyro21
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Look, I'm an independent field landman and do contract work for numerous Oil & Gas Operators. I really have to take exception to a couple of ignorant statements in this thread. 

As a long time member of the American Association of Petroleum Landmen, the certifying entity for the industry segment I work in, I'm ethically bound to deal fairly on behalf of both sides of the coin. If I don't, (not that I would), I'm subject sanctions up to and including revocation of my professional accreditation. 

Nobody I know is out to take advantage of anybody...and even if they were...everything is spelled out in writing in legally executed and recorded documents. If you can read, you can't be ripped off. 

I really get a kick out of people who don't know the difference between mineral rights and a dope brush about the oil industry yet feel compelled to regurgitate the infinite wisdom gleaned from watching a Matt Damon movie. You're pretty pathetic. 

@Texaspyro21
View Quote

Well said. I'm friends with several landmen and all of them are pretty sharp and put everything on paper for all sides. There is too much to lose by trying to defraud anyone in a industry that requires so much verification and paperwork.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Landman here.

Depends on what you want to do. Field Landman you can start with zero experience and no background in it, but expect to earn low pay on your day rate but you'll not have bad habits to break. Expect travel and to be away a lot. You will be contract so you'll get a day rate and you'll have to pay all your own taxes.

In house Landman.  You'll need experience a lot of it or you need to go to a school with a PLM degree program. Also think about law school. Lots of o&g companies like having lawyers around.

I started in the field with 11 years experience and moved to an in house position 2 years ago.

There are a lot of out of work Landman around right now.  If you are serious about this as a career get your education. Otherwise work in another profession.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Also consider "right of way" positions.  Similar type of work, but usually work for cities,  state DOTs and utilities.  Law degree is big plus,  state real estate licenses often required for contractors,  but not in-house.   Otherwise,  entry level jobs can be obtained with little or no experience.   Title work and survey skills are other big pluses.

Starting salary for city and DOTs is probably $45k or so.   Utilities are probably higher if you have any survey,  mapping,  title or RE experience.  $60k would not be unusual.

In house may look like less money,  but 99% of nights are in your own bed,  you don't have months between jobs,  and pensions are still around at some companies (and government).

Start studying for a real estate license or get a rodman job,  are two good first steps if you want to get some experience.  

Also,  check out international right of way association.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Any of y'all know where there's a ticket? I'm looking. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top