Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2016 9:35:30 AM EDT
I made a new dining room table last weekend. After the stain was dry I got a little over excited and sealed it with some high traffic industrial grade high gloss concrete sealer, mostly because I didn't ever want to have to do it again.

Usually it's safe for foot traffic after 4-8 hours, and vehicle traffic after 3-5 days.

It's sitting outside now on the porch looks good, sealer is solid, and has a good cure on it, but it is still off-gassing some stink, not much, but enough to be noticable if I brought it in. I think it's because it's so cold out. Usually if we end up sealing inside a house, it's so early in construction that the stink is gone weeks later when everything is finally closed up.

I need to get it to be done off gassing so I can bring it in, but it's currently snowing. My only idea is to make a tent with some plastic, and throw a small heater in there to get it up near 100 for a day or so, to cook the rest of the solvent out. That's really the only plan I have, anyone have anything else?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics?

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I build a tent out of a tarp and cook the items with a 35,000 btu propane heater.  Metal items that is.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Is this a concrete table or wood?

I would assume if it is a wooden table, it might absorb a lot more sealer inside than concrete, and take longer to off gas.

Your idea of tent and heat is the only way I can think of to speed up the process.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Tent, Heater, and oscillating fan.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this a concrete table or wood?

I would assume if it is a wooden table, it might absorb a lot more sealer inside than concrete, and take longer to off gas.

Your idea of tent and heat is the only way I can think of to speed up the process.
View Quote

Wood, that's pretty much what I was thinking too. The first coat got sucked right up, and after 8 hours I recoated it a bit heavy. It took 12 hours to try to the touch after that one, didn't help that it was below 40 out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#6]
just be careful applying too much heat too fast.  It could dry out the finish and crack it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.

How big is the table?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#8]
pick-up -   70 MPH - 12 hours  , repeat  if needed
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pics?

Sounds like a good plan to me.
View Quote

Yep, we need pics.

A table is on my list of things to build.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep, we need pics.
View Quote

This! I made a table top to cover a boring stone coffee table. I like to see new ideas!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I saw that thread. With all the wonderful exceptional wood finishes available today, I can't figure out why you used concrete sealer on a wood table. There are wood finishes out there that are extremely durable..... especially when used on a table top that doesn't get walked on.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally, if I had taken the time and expense to build a piece of wood furnature for my house I would have spent a bit more for a proven finish.

At this point I am guessing the OP has been thinking along these lines also. Hope it all works out ok
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#14]
UV lights can speed up cure times but not sure about your application.
Tent and heat but that seller may take a long time to off gas as it wasn't designed for that purpose.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#15]
The heater will help. You should be able to walk on your table in a few hours.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Why did you go with a concrete sealer?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#17]
OST.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I saw that thread. With all the wonderful exceptional wood finishes available today, I can't figure out why you used concrete sealer on a wood table. There are wood finishes out there that are extremely durable..... especially when used on a table top that doesn't get walked on.
View Quote

Because it's tough as nails, and I have multiple children.

I could pressure wash that sucker and the nice candy coating should stay right on it.

Plus I already had it bought and paid for, there was like 30 gallons in the barn.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This! I made a table top to cover a boring stone coffee table. I like to see new ideas!
http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/90647/IMG-2765-98548.JPG
View Quote

I'll put one up when I take the tent off it, I have a space heater going in there now and I think it's working, because once it heated up I could get a steady whiff of fumes from the hole I left in the top. I'll leave it in there until tomorrow and see how it goes.

I was just going to go out and buy one but then my wife said "I want on old farmhouse table". I said we can do that, so I went out and bought the ugliest construction grade lumber I could find, laid it out, and built the entire thing with a miter saw, a pocket hole jig a belt and palm sander and some glue.

Stained it with very dark stain, then went back over it with mineral spirits to take it down a bit and make it look old, then sealed it.

It's nothing very creative or technical, but it looks old like she wanted.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
That's how my table top started. My wife wants a real barn wood table. She bought a bunch of barn wood, my top was a practice run so I didn't ruin the expensive wood! Lol

I wanted to buy lumber and make it look old like you did.....lol

I look forward to the pictures!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top