Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2016 12:17:39 AM EDT
Not as a "Martial Art" or to become one with the universe...but as a method of maintaining mobility and flexibility into your dotage?

Er, asking for a friend.

Engage.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:19:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  I practiced tai chi and ba gua zhang for about 5 years in the 90's.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I did a short stint with a Sifu that taught Hung Ga Kung Fu. Old school style, not movie style. Lots of Chin Na. (Holds, breaks, joint dislocation, break bones, etc.) No pussy footing around.

He was also a big proponent of Tai Chi, but his had an aggressive style to it. Where it would be smooth and relaxing one moment and then an explosion of energy and power the next.
I learned a couple forms from him, but then moved, so we lost touch, and I stopped practicing. Definitely has it's place in every warriors repertoire of training when done right IMO.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.  I practiced tai chi and ba gua zhang for about 5 years in the 90's.
View Quote
What benefits did you realize?

Also, how hard was it to find a proper instructor?

Finally, did you stop practicing?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a guy at work telling me that a lot of the moves called or welcomed jinn (demons) into you. And that a lot of the masters that have tremendous power get it from the demonic posession. He said he had somewhat of a similar experience that scared him so he stopped. I wasnt sure what to think of it. I used to do it just for calming and to help with balance/cordination and endurance strength. Had stumbled onto this article and others after he told me that.

http://www.thejinn.net/chi_jinn_my_story.htm

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My Mom (in her 70's) and one of her friends started doing it a few months ago.

Said it's really helping with joint pain/flexibility.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Had a guy at work telling me that a lot of the moves called or welcomed jinn (demons) into you. And that a lot of the masters that have tremendous power get it from the demonic posession. He said he had somewhat of a similar experience that scared him so he stopped. I wasnt sure what to think of it. I used to do it just for calming and to help with balance/cordination and endurance strength. Had stumbled onto this article and others after he told me that.

View Quote

Seriously?

No.

That's exactly the crap I'm not talking about.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
For me  it was form of meditatiion while moving. Great  for relaxation and balance. First couple of classes where kind of boring to me. Then one day I went I was stressed as hell, came out feeling like a new person. The instructor moved away or I would still be doing it.Never encountered any demons like the poster above mentions. Although there was a crazy hot redhead that took the class, that might count.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]
My 7 yo daughter is doing belt testing in CKD right now. 

She's little tiger! I feel bad for her 11 yo brother. 

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My father is 78 with 4 fused vertabrae.

He swears by Tai Chi fir mobility and balance
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Tai Chi is like a knife. Depending on your intent and training, you can make a meal to feed a family, or you can be Jack The Ripper.

For the exercise and mobility, just about anyone that can teach you one of the basic forms will work. You can do much of it yourself via video if you don't want to hang out with old people in the park. If you change your mind about your focus, find a qualified teacher.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Chun Kuk Do?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Does it require continuous instruction or can you learn a form and practice it alone?

Must you learn many forms to realize the benefits?

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Seriously?

No.

View Quote

I agree. I always enjoyed tai chi the only reason i havnt done it latley is im too busy doing other stuff. Ive always felt realy good doing tai chi
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I wandered the earth for a while, fighting injustice and righting wrongs.  Used quite a bit of Tai Chi then, although most folks refused to call it that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember playgrounds back in the old country filled with elderly Asians doing tai chi.   Always looked interesting to try.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does it require continuous instruction or can you learn a form and practice it alone?

Must you learn many forms to realize the benefits?

View Quote

Just learning a basic 24 form is good until you get better. Id rather go somewhere with an instructor. I have some videos that are decent from master wong, but he also tries to teach it for fighting and for meditation. So its more of a yin and yang
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What benefits did you realize?

Also, how hard was it to find a proper instructor?

Finally, did you stop practicing?
View Quote

I was in my early 20's, so I didn't exactly get any benefits from it that I could tell externally.

But it was really interesting.  We'd start the class doing qi gong standing.  Which was standing in a horse-style stance with arms down the front of the torso and your hands against the front of your thighs.  And we'd just stand there and breathe and kind of meditate.  After practicing it for a while (by which after a few weeks of coming to class), my body starting heating up, like you've been exerting yourself, but you haven't.  I would actually start sweating.  If you came close to the the instructor, you could feel the heat radiating off him.  The more you practiced, the faster and easier this heat would start up.  I guess this was chi.

Then we'd do some qi gong movements, and then start in with the ba gua movements.  Practicing that made me really flexible.  Here's a video of ba gua practicioners.  The moves the old man is making at 1:30 is more like what we practiced, we didn't spar.  The 2 younger guys are applying the ba gua movements into actual fighting, which is great. The video get's going at 1:00 after a bunch of intro:

</iframe></iframe></iframe>

My instructor was kind of unique, as he was an Alaskan guy who was the top student of a Chinese sifu.  I knew him because he was a schoolteacher of my friends and they'd talk about the cool internal martial arts he did.  I didn't really seek out to learn bagua.  I just knew it was sort of like tai chi and I was into yoga at the time.  I totally lucked out, because Kevin my teacher is a very western, no-nonsense intellectual type guy who thought internal martial arts was all bullshit (he was into karate and aikido) until he met Sifu, who was a bonafide traditional Chinese master of internal martial arts.  Taking tai chi and bagua from other teachers, you could see the difference.

Yeah, I haven't practiced since the late 90's.  I don't think Kevin teaches any more.  He got mad at our class because we never practiced on our own time.  I think Sifu quit teaching for the same reason.  Nobody's serious enough about it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wandered the earth for a while, fighting injustice and righting wrongs.  Used quite a bit of Tai Chi then, although most folks refused to call it that.
View Quote

Unfortunately,the way you died overshadows all that............
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He died doing what he loved...
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Other martial arts people I've known over the years, believe it works for them. Especially ones who have injuries from training, sparring or just getting older.
I tried it, I really didn't give it a chance, western attitude not believing meditation really does shit for anybody.

I think regular stretching, daily moderate work outs with cardio will achieve the same thing.

As a caution, I wouldn't advise considering taking this and convincing yourself you're taking a martial art that involves real life self defense. In order to defend yourself with any martial art you need physical contact with others and a lot of it, I've heard people over the years claim that Tai Chi is a good self defense art, but never used any of the techniques in sparring.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

SlowFlo: The Christian Alternative to Tai Chi?

Are you feeling run down? Suffering from tired blood? Do encounters with foreign cultures leave you confused and angry?
WholyFit SlowFlo Christian Tai Chi

If so, then we have a solution for you. It’s called SlowFlo, the Christian alternative to Tai Chi.

Inspired by Chuck Norris, the art of SlowFlo reforms the inscrutable pagan art of Tai Chi Chuan into a safe and guilt-free form of Christian exercise.

The benefits of SlowFlo include limbering of the joints and spinal column, and oxygenation of your whole body, all without challenging your religious and philosophical beliefs.

While all other forms of martial arts were created under demonic influence, SlowFlo strengthens and fortifies your body and soul with the real ultimate power of Jesus.

You will burn calories in a gentle, relaxing way, while performing simple techniques with reassuring names, like “The Iron Pope”, “Lifting the White Man’s Burden”, and “The Chris Farley”.

SlowFlo raises your metabolism for quicker weight loss and more energy–not the evil ki energy of brown and yellow devils, but wholesome Christian energy.

The beautiful movements of Slow Flo are accompanied by scriptural affirmations in All-American Sign Language. Say goodbye to the occult influence of Oriental mantras, mudras, and meditation, and welcome the healing power of SlowFlo exclusively into your heart.

In Christ all things are possible, except for Oriental Yoga and martial arts: those are the work of the devil. If you accept Jesus as your master, buy SlowFlo on DVD today.
WholyFit SlowFlo Christian Alternative to Tai Chi DVD
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was investigating pizzagate.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a ways believed that proper technique that can be applied from the u conscious mind trumps any power that takes time to summon and channel.  I can just imagine a fight wherein one of the combatants requests a time out in order to summon his chi...sounds like a great way to get a broken jaw or nose.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I ordered some Tai Chi chili boneless wings at Oggie's last week.  They were pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Are you feeling run down? Suffering from tired blood? Do encounters with foreign cultures leave you confused and angry?

If so, then we have a solution for you. It’s called SlowFlo, the Christian alternative to Tai Chi.

Inspired by Chuck Norris, the art of SlowFlo reforms the inscrutable pagan art of Tai Chi Chuan into a safe and guilt-free form of Christian exercise.

The benefits of SlowFlo include limbering of the joints and spinal column, and oxygenation of your whole body, all without challenging your religious and philosophical beliefs.

While all other forms of martial arts were created under demonic influence, SlowFlo strengthens and fortifies your body and soul with the real ultimate power of Jesus.

You will burn calories in a gentle, relaxing way, while performing simple techniques with reassuring names, like “The Iron Pope”, “Lifting the White Man’s Burden”, and “The Chris Farley”.

SlowFlo raises your metabolism for quicker weight loss and more energy–not the evil ki energy of brown and yellow devils, but wholesome Christian energy.

The beautiful movements of Slow Flo are accompanied by scriptural affirmations in All-American Sign Language. Say goodbye to the occult influence of Oriental mantras, mudras, and meditation, and welcome the healing power of SlowFlo exclusively into your heart.

In Christ all things are possible, except for Oriental Yoga and martial arts: those are the work of the devil. If you accept Jesus as your master, buy SlowFlo on DVD today. oCazc4fCxWE</iframe>
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Demonic possession is real, and terrifying.
Altered/trance states makes people vulnerable.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Christ all things are possible, except for Oriental Yoga and martial arts: those are the work of the devil. If you accept Jesus as your master, buy SlowFlo on DVD today.Attachment Attached File
oCazc4fCxWE</iframe>

https://images.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1442244105ra/16203832.gif
What?

I'm in!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's full of shit. Just like a million and one other "Martial Artists".

Tai Chi, when done correctly is very beneficial, just like other exercise/meditation systems.

What you see, when watching someone practice it is barely scratching the surface of what's actually happening. Lots of isometric forces, breath control, meditation and focusing of the mind, stretching. Kata, in other arts performs similar stuff.

It's not about self defense or combat in the least. If you try to own someone with  your chi, you're getting stomped. But, it can be very centering and helpful for the body particularly for those who can't do more rigorous exercise and still good for those who can.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#30]
In the 80s I was taking MA classes after school.      Tai Chi was also a class there,  and I remember an older lady that used to take it.     Seemed really relaxed.    
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Demonic possession is real, and terrifying.
Altered/trance states makes people vulnerable.
View Quote

Sleep is an altered state. You afraid of that?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. But thanks for asking.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://az795576.vo.msecnd.net/bh-uploads/2016/06/freddy-krueger1-1.jpg

Only on Arfcom can you ask a question about Tai Chi and end up with Freddy Kreuger in the thread.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In Christ all things are possible, except for Oriental Yoga and martial arts: those are the work of the devil. If you accept Jesus as your master, buy SlowFlo on DVD today. oCazc4fCxWE</iframe>
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Only on Arfcom can you ask a question about Tai Chi and end up with Freddy Kreuger in the thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://az795576.vo.msecnd.net/bh-uploads/2016/06/freddy-krueger1-1.jpg

IKR?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Chun Kuk Do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 B

Chun Kuk Do?

Choi Kwang Do
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Choi Kwang Do
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 B

Chun Kuk Do?

Choi Kwang Do

There's a name I haven't heard in ages!

Is GM Choi still alive? I used to love the pictures he'd use in his ads. It looked like he was dislocating his pelvis to kick above and behind his head. It always reminded me of a monkey
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow, this is exactly what I was taught at 3:08

Look at her go at 16:05! Ba gua is one of the coolest things I've seen in my life.

Cheng Style BaguaZhang Mother palm(Eng sub)-Bát m?u chu?ng
</iframe>
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wow, this is exactly what I was taught at 3:08

Look at her go at 16:05! Ba gua is one of the coolest things I've seen in my life.

Attachment Attached File
z12uQY4RTGQ</iframe></iframe>
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Wife does it and karate.  Karate for a long, long time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Seriously?

No.

View Quote

That's the mindset of a certain group of people. They say the same thing about yoga.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top