Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2016 5:41:46 PM EDT
The Copper Lounge building in Sioux falls Collapsed this morning.  Two people confirmed trapped.  One female rescued in good condition.  
This is a very nice area,  Not sure the cause.  

Live feed here

Story and live feed here too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
hope they recover the other person in an unijured state.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hope they recover the other person in an uninjured state.
View Quote

Looks like they have located him.  Stretcher has been brought to the scene.
Doesn't look good.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Huh
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Firefighter frenzy died down and they put down a sheet.  

Looks like they may have a body.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, that's not supposed to happen.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Confirmed,  Second trapped is deceased.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Argus leader is backing down on their confirmation.  He may still be alive it seems,  fire rescue is continuing search!

It is now confirmed.....
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

RIP
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The deceased is a former Marine and father to an infant. Went to school with him and can't even believe this is happening.

RIP Ethan,  you will be missed by many.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The deceased is a former Marine and father to an infant. Went to school with him and can't even believe this is happening.

View Quote

Sorry to hear that.

RIP Ethan.    
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Update on Cause

Sounds like that contractor is going to be in deep shit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#14]
South Dakota is like one big small town, so my back home Facebook circle has been following that very closely. Consolation prize/positive news. A second dog was rescued late last night, more than 11 hours after the collapse.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there snow there?  Roof loading of snow?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is there snow there?  Roof loading of snow?
View Quote

No snow, looks like they just took down a load bearing wall without properly reinforcing it judging from most old of the news reports.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Update on Cause

Sounds like that contractor is going to be in deep shit.
View Quote

Yes he is me thinks..  

I have been hearing since the collapse that they were removing a supporting wall for some stupid reason.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes he is me thinks..  

I have been hearing since the collapse that they were removing a supporting wall for some stupid reason.
View Quote

The former building owner said they were pulling the wall down and replacing with 2x6 framing...Something went seriously wrong though
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The former building owner said they were pulling the wall down and replacing with 2x6 framing...Something went seriously wrong though
View Quote

OH my god!  Have you seen the picture?!?!?!?!

They were removing the wall between the Copper lounge and Skellys!   Thos are outer supporting walls on two separate buildings!  You can see the Skelly building is ready to fall in too.  It is sagging.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#20]
The WTF gets worse.

Turns out the contractor was only permitted to do minor remodeling work until a structural engineer does an assessment.  

"The city issued a limited permit authorizing Hultgren Construction to remove furnishings, floor coverings, ceiling tiles and the existing bar area, city spokeswoman Heather Hitterdal said in a statement. The city was awaiting structural engineering and architectural plans before issuing authorization to do more extensive work."

More here.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The WTF gets worse.

Turns out the contractor was only permitted to do minor remodeling work until a structural engineer does an assessment.  

"The city issued a limited permit authorizing Hultgren Construction to remove furnishings, floor coverings, ceiling tiles and the existing bar area, city spokeswoman Heather Hitterdal said in a statement. The city was awaiting structural engineering and architectural plans before issuing authorization to do more extensive work."

More here.
View Quote

Yup that's what the Kelo article I posted earlier said too. It's a damn shame that some contractor wanted to cut corners or save some time and it cost a young man his life.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#22]
If the contractor was doing work beyond the scope of the permit thus causing a fatality he should be charged with manslaughter and given many long years in prison.  All of his assets should be liquidated and given to the victim's family.

His insurance carrier has one hell of a lawsuit coming its way.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#24]
That picture just looks dangerous
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That picture just looks dangerous
View Quote

It's a whole lot of WTF that's for sure. I've been probably been on a thousand jobsites and removed and replaced many a supporting wall and have never seen anything like that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's a whole lot of WTF that's for sure. I've been probably been on a thousand jobsites and removed and replaced many a supporting wall and have never seen anything like that.
View Quote

The tolerances got stacked against them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#27]
The police have posted a picture of the suspected contractor and accomplice:

Please help bring them to justice. RIP to the deceased.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OH my god!  Have you seen the picture?!?!?!?!

They were removing the wall between the Copper lounge and Skellys!   Thos are outer supporting walls on two separate buildings!  You can see the Skelly building is ready to fall in too.  It is sagging.  

http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/oLoFxzE-98639.JPG
View Quote

Holy crap.  I've designed a lot of shoring and new lintels for openings in load bearing masonry. That's a hack job of the highest order. I don't see any temporary shoring anywhere.  

Contractor better pepper his angus, 'cause he's out of business.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Holy crap.  I've designed a lot of shoring and new lintels for openings in load bearing masonry. That's a hack job of the highest order. I don't see any temporary shoring anywhere.  

Contractor better pepper his angus, 'cause he's out of business.
View Quote

Yeah, I suspect he'll be running short on freedom for a while, too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No snow, looks like they just took down a load bearing wall without properly reinforcing it judging from most old of the news reports.
View Quote

As a carpenter with 20 years of experience I can tell you this is a stupid mistake of colossal magnitude. Probably no oversight or supervision on the contractors part. You ALWAYS erect temporary jack walls on each side of a load bearing wall before removing it. I can almost promise you they didn't. What's the ratio of illegal construction workers in that area?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As a carpenter with 20 years of experience I can tell you this is a stupid mistake of colossal magnitude. Probably no oversight or supervision on the contractors part. You ALWAYS erect temporary jack walls on each side of a load bearing wall before removing it. I can almost promise you they didn't. What's the ratio of illegal construction workers in that area?
View Quote

Guy that owns the construction company and development company is an economics major from SDSU. Doesn't mean he's a clueless dumbass about doing stuff, but I didn't see a whole lot of construction in his experience resume on LinkedIn. So if he was calling the shots on that, he probably had no business doing that. If he was just signing checks and had a guy running the sites and calling the shots on the ground, that guy should be in a pinch, too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Guy that owns the construction company and development company is an economics major from SDSU. Doesn't mean he's a clueless dumbass about doing stuff, but I didn't see a whole lot of construction in his experience resume on LinkedIn. So if he was calling the shots on that, he probably had no business doing that. If he was just signing checks and had a guy running the sites and calling the shots on the ground, that guy should be in a pinch, too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not many illegal construction workers that I know of.  Like NoStockBikes said I'm guessing it was the construction company owner telling them to get going further on the work before having anything reviewed by the city.  Whether it was the owner or someone else who was working there, they majorly fucked up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Another bit of positive news. A third dog (beagle) was rescued from the rubble this afternoon. All dogs now accounted for.

http://www.keloland.com/news/article/news/third-dog-found-alive-in-rubble

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Another bit of positive news. A third dog (beagle) was rescued from the rubble this afternoon. All dogs now accounted for.

http://www.keloland.com/news/article/news/third-dog-found-alive-in-rubble

http://assets.keloland.com/images/images/default-source/default-album/dog.jpg?sfvrsn=0
View Quote

Poor pup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top