Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2016 5:40:32 PM EDT
Wife saw some job there and we just loosely joked about going there.

Then it occurred to me I have no concept of what north Carolina is like at all.

I picture humid, dank, sweaty summers and southern accents. And that's about it. Maybe with some hurricanes thrown in. But not even sure.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you like a lack of running water?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Raleigh in particular is super liberal.

If you're familiar with Austin, its like that, only in NC.

BBQ is all wrong, they like vinegar, and pulled pork, but they do love fried pork rinds, so it evens out.

Because of the large amount of IT companies, it can be expensive to live in the area as lots of people have $$$.

Weather is OK, and actually has 4 seasons as opposed to more southerly states.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I was there much of this summer. It's got and humid like all southeastern cities in the summer. I didn't hear many southern accents down town. Too many outsiders moved there. Got sick of seeing the "refugees welcomed" posters on businesses. Besides that, I kind of wish I lived there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Liberal...very liberal.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Andy Griffith used to go there if he needed something Mayberry didn't have
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I actually like it there when visiting. Cool college feel since there are a few universities around, if you like that sort of thing.  Good bars and resturants.  It has a very diverse population as far as ethnicity is concerned.

There is plenty of space in the surrounding area if you want land.  It's not the prettiest landscape, but there are some nice spots.

I'm not sure about employment since I mostly was up there for athletic competitions.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]

I liked it there, I lived in rural Orange county until a couple of years ago.
If you go, get a concealed carry permit ASAP, so you don't have to get a permit every time you want to buy a handgun.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to go there for work quite a bit and never really cared for it.  Too crowded for my tastes, and as others have said, too Liberal.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#9]

We piss in  out houses and everyone has a hay straw in their mouth (it's a tooth pick)

Stay away

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#10]

friend of mine lives outside of Raleigh, he got out of NY about 10 yrs ago
ive been there a few times, too much congestion for my taste, and im not a fan of suburbia
too hot also
swampy

if i had to live in NC id want to be new the TN border in the mountains.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#11]
NC is fine.. Come on down... There are liberals in every city of the country but its not like they come accost you when you come in and try to sell you shit or anything.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I am thinking that you will fit right in....
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife and I lived there for 8 years. 2007-2015. Loved it. We only moved back to Michigan to be closer to family.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Go away.... to many others here already...
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

BBQ is all wrong, they like vinegar , and pulled pork, but they do love fried pork rinds, so it evens out.

Because of the large amount of IT companies, it can be expensive to live in the area as lots of people have $.

View Quote

That's the silly eastern north carolinians that like vinegar. Western BBQ is better.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's the silly eastern north carolinians that like vinegar. Western BBQ is better.
View Quote

Had Speedy's for lunch as a matter of fact...
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I picture humid, dank, sweaty summers and southern accents. And that's about it. Maybe with some hurricanes thrown in. But not even sure.
View Quote
It's full of relocated Yankees, especially in Cary
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We piss in  out houses and everyone has a hay straw in their mouth (it's a tooth pick)

Stay away
View Quote

You forgot that we all have tobacco growing and or cotton fields.

Do NOT come to the Coast.  You will need an interpreter. Down East (East of Beaufort, NC not SC) is a whole new world.... That IS swampy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's full of relocated Yankees, especially in Cary
View Quote
Where
they had 90,000 votes "show up" on election day...and is the reason we still don't have a Governor...
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Liberal...very liberal.
View Quote

LOL. Spoken like someone who doesn't live here. You are thinking of Chapel Hill.

Yes it is swampy in the summer. Think of it as three season state and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#21]
lived there for 6 years , traffic sucks , pricey , they eat stupid BBQ , its get cold and snows , and humid and hot ! the heat sucks lots.  durham sucks , crime is bad , lots of bad people , high crime . Glad I left.  no good outdoor ranges close at all , most gun shops were bad . 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I live north of Charlotte, but went to college in Chapel Hill and my wife is from Raleigh, so Im pretty familiar with that area too.

All of our cities are just like other cities, full of liberals, bad traffic, etc. When you get into the smaller commuter towns, or just the small towns in general, its a nice place. 

I really like this region of the country. My biggest complaint is there aren't large areas of empty land like you have out west, even in the mountains on remote fire roads you still run into people. 

Our gun culture has been mostly fuddy until fairly recently, but its slowly getting better. 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#23]
You won't like it here... stay away.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was just in Raleigh with my GF Tuesday night and we drove around the downtown area and Cary.  GF wants a change from Miami after 31 years for the two of us and Charleston (there for TG holiday) 'was' her first choice, but now it's Raleigh!

Talked to the waiter at the Red Monkey tavern/restaurant and he said that there were plenty of jobs (4 universities are around the area,) fun stuff to do and the people are friendly.  He came from the Tampa Bay area.

It's got a charm to it, but maybe not Charleston charm/history.  I could see myself living there even without an ocean close by, as my beach tanning days are infrequent.  The seasons and their changes are also a bonus.

We drove Miami>Savannah>Charleston>Newark/NYC>Raleigh>St. Augustine>Miami in 11 days and 3000 miles, so we saw a lot of that part of the country.  48 hours in a freakin' car...not even a car...a new Dodge Grand Caravan minivan!

Chris
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Where in Washington State are you? Compared to Seattle it will be paradise but note the RDU is the Berkley of NC. Have family all over the area. most like it but hate the politics and the cost of living is quite high for the South.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
lived there for 6 years , traffic sucks , pricey , they eat stupid BBQ , its get cold and snows , and humid and hot ! the heat sucks lots.  durham sucks , crime is bad , lots of bad people , high crime . Glad I left.  no good outdoor ranges close at all , most gun shops were bad . 
View Quote

Is there anything good about it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do you like a lack of running water?
View Quote

Yes, it's horrible.
No running water. We have to use outhouses to take a dump. The nice ones are two seaters. There are at least 3 cars on blocks at every house, sometimes you can see them through the grass and weeds. There is no AC. Everyone lives in a trailer, an old school bus, or a shack with sides made of tin or old road signs. The summers are horrible. Hot and humid. Big mosquitos, ticks, and red bugs. No one can read or write. Heck, everyone signs their name with an "X". Women are all overweight, diabetic, tatted up, have only 3 teeth, and they all chew tobacco. We are all inbred, red neck, hicks. No one ever takes a bath. The banjo player in Deliverance is an Einstein compared to us. All the roads are un-paved. The only way to get the internet is dial up and you have to get everyone off the party line first.  Cell phones are what the prisoners in jail use to call their kin folk and baby mamas. TV is only black and white. There is no cable. There are pine trees everywhere. In the spring everything is yellow from the pollen for a month.

Stay where you are, don't subject yourself to our terribly backward way of life, especially if you are from NY, NJ, or any place north of Appomattox, VA.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#28]
If you stay out of Charlotte, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Cary, Durham city limits you are pretty much out of the liberal containment zones....

NC has a lot of in-state choices for leisure activity.  Less than a day's drive to get to mountains, sandhills, seashore or piedmont from central NC locations.  It is still a place where you can find a nice place & some land at affordable prices (outside of the cities, that is).  We have seasons that don't get too extreme, but definitely give you changes through the year.

ETA - He's right about the yellow coat of pine pollen in the spring - especially around Raleigh ...

Nick
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Had Speedy's for lunch as a matter of fact...
View Quote

I like Smokey's in Morrisville.

I'll be there the week of the 12th. My 7th or 8th trip there this year.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know what Raleigh, North Carolina you visited, but it isn't the one I'm familiar with. Traffic has gotten bad in recent years, and its hot in the summer, but where in the south isn't.

It gets cold and snows?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, it's horrible.
No running water. We have to use outhouses to take a dump. The nice ones are two seaters. There are at least 3 cars on blocks at every house, sometimes you can see them through the grass and weeds. There is no AC. Everyone lives in a trailer, an old school bus, or a shack with sides made of tin or old road signs. The summers are horrible. Hot and humid. Big mosquitos, ticks, and red bugs. No one can read or write. Heck, everyone signs their name with an "X". Women are all overweight, diabetic, tatted up, have only 3 teeth, and they all chew tobacco. We are all inbred, red neck, hicks. No one ever takes a bath. The banjo player in Deliverance is an Einstein compared to us. All the roads are un-paved. The only way to get the internet is dial up and you have to get everyone off the party line first.  Cell phones are what the prisoners in jail use to call their kin folk and baby mamas. TV is only black and white. There is no cable. There are pine trees everywhere. In the spring everything is yellow from the pollen for a month.

Stay where you are, don't subject yourself to our terribly backward way of life, especially if you are from NY, NJ, or any place north of Appomattox, VA.
View Quote

This.     Do not come here.

We already have enough liberals, who voted to destroy their own states, and then found out that they got what they voted for, come here to do the same.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I actually like it there when visiting. Cool college feel since there are a few universities around, if you like that sort of thing.  Good bars and resturants.  It has a very diverse population as far as ethnicity is concerned.

There is plenty of space in the surrounding area if you want land.  It's not the prettiest landscape, but there are some nice spots.

I'm not sure about employment since I mostly was up there for athletic competitions.
View Quote

Our HQ is there, went to school in the RDU area.  Downtown is being revitalized, great if you're into IT, quite a few hipsters, not as bad as Austin.

NCSU is in Raleigh, it does get hot and humid in the Summer.  They think they have "traffic" nothing compared to NYC, DC, LA, SFO, etc.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Hot, humid, traffic sucks everywhere.  Stay away.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where in Washington State are you? Compared to Seattle it will be paradise but note the RDU is the Berkley of NC. Have family all over the area. most like it but hate the politics and the cost of living is quite high for the South.
View Quote

Live in WA now, lived in NC for 4 years. Raleigh is probably roughly comparable to Tacoma politically, not nearly as bad as Seattle or Olympia. Overall left but there's still a noticeable conservative minority dating back to before the place got overrun with Yankees/Californians. It's probably more conservative than the average major city but like anyplace else get 20 min outside the city and it's solid red. Also NC as a whole is more conservative than WA, concealed carry is a little tougher (need an 8-hour class and qual shoot) but the state overall seems to have stabilized politically and may even be trending back in the right direction unlike WA.

Best public range I've ever shot at is Range 37 in Lillington, about 40 minutes from Raleigh.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#35]
WTF are ya'll talking about.  Raleigh is nice because of the surrounding towns and cities that offer good living within easy travel distance of the city.  If you want country live in Fuquay or Garner, want more of a populated town try Holly Springs/Cary/Apex.

A lot of ignorance abound in here
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's some good BBQ
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.     Do not come here.

We already have enough liberals, who voted to destroy their own states, and then found out that they got what they voted for, come here to do the same.
View Quote

Yeah because a guy who has been posting on a gun forum for 14 years is probably a gun-grabbing libtard.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#38]
The sister and her family moved there in 2001 and the parents followed soon after.
Have visited many times since and I don't care for it at all.
Traffic is really bad in most places and the roads pretty much suck.  Dangerous with no shoulders in most cases.  (except the interstates etc...)
Seems like anytime you want to go anywhere its 45 minutes in the car.
Weather is pretty good but a bit humid in the summer.  Most people I've met there are good folks.
I've lived a lot of places and many were worse but I can't see living there at all.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Smoky's is ok

From RDU: take 40 W about about 5 mile. Get off on at the HWY 55 exit. Turn right at the light at the bottom of the ramp. Go about 1.5- 2 miles. Look for a dumpy looking place on right. Backyard BBQ Pit. They use wood to smoke the pork. Great sides. Go during lunch. There is usually a line wrapped around the inside of the building. They do not over sauce the pork. There is sauce if you want to add it.

http://www.sweetribs.com/home#

Or if you are in Raleigh go to Clyde Cooper's. Avoid The Pit unless you are the hipster type.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:56:36 AM EDT
[#40]
A coworker from California told me that some of their friends and others were moving to NC. Cheaper than other states they said. Good luck NC
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:56:51 AM EDT
[#41]
The Raleigh area sucks IMHO, I prefer Western NC or SC.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Smoky's is ok

From RDU: take 40 W about about 5 mile. Get off on at the HWY 55 exit. Turn right at the light at the bottom of the ramp. Go about 1.5- 2 miles. Look for a dumpy looking place on right. Backyard BBQ Pit. They use wood to smoke the pork. Great sides. Go during lunch. There is usually a line wrapped around the inside of the building. They do not over sauce the pork. There is sauce if you want to add it.

Or if you are in Raleigh go to Clyde Cooper's. Avoid The Pit unless you are the hipster type.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smoky's is ok

Went to the Pit as part of a corporate dinner.  Said to the next to me,  this isn't real BBQ, he asked me what did I mean, bland taste, no old guy in the back stoking a pit, too big a wine selection.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

BBQ is all wrong, they like vinegar, and pulled pork, but they do love fried pork rinds, so it evens out.

Because of the large amount of IT companies, it can be expensive to live in the area as lots of people have $$.

View Quote

Hey!! Pipe with down that the BBQ is all wrong shit. The triangle (Wake, Durham, and Orange counties) are libtarded as fuck. Johnston Co is full of incest meth heads and lots of crack.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I thought southerners were supposed to be friendly.

Some of you guys don't sound so friendly.

Some do though.

Wife said the job was way less money, which would be fine if it was cheap to live there. But sounds like it isnt?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#45]
My cousin and his family lives in Cary and whenever I'm there for work we try to get together. I think it's a cool area. Very woodsy, as in it seems like much of the suburban area has been carved out of a forest. Lots of activities and social opportunities, from what my cousin says and what I've  seen.

I think it would be a pretty good place to live, based on my experience.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I liked it there, I lived in rural Orange county until a couple of years ago.
If you go, get a concealed carry permit ASAP, so you don't have to get a permit every time you want to buy a handgun.
View Quote
Yep and with your permit they don't call the ATF when you buy a gun.

I can get a rifle or handgun  in 10-15 mins.

Want to grab a Barrett 50 BMG and a Glock during lunch? no problem.

I had lunch, picked up my Barrett and my Glock 17 and still made it back to work before 1230pm.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Stay away
View Quote

What about out near the coast?  I knew you all looked a lot like Tennessee when I went over the mountains that time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I live north of Charlotte, but went to college in Chapel Hill and my wife is from Raleigh, so Im pretty familiar with that area too.

All of our cities are just like other cities, full of liberals, bad traffic, etc. When you get into the smaller commuter towns, or just the small towns in general, its a nice place. 

I really like this region of the country. My biggest complaint is there aren't large areas of empty land like you have out west, even in the mountains on remote fire roads you still run into people. 

Our gun culture has been mostly fuddy until fairly recently, but its slowly getting better. 
View Quote

All of this except I live east of Charlotte
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A coworker from California told me that some of their friends and others were moving to NC. Cheaper than other states they said. Good luck NC
View Quote

This is happening too often
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#50]

This is NC when it snows  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top