BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could fire a gun in space, right? I don't think the propellant requires oxygen to burn?
View Quote

Modern gun powder has an oxidizer in it. The Russians have fired a 20mm in LEO.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
very cool
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#3]
My job sucks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Kick ass!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Nm checking first page again.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Really cool!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, as soon as you can release gun specs/pictures, I'm betting a bunch of folks would love to build a replica....
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool. Can't wait for updares.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, as soon as you can release gun specs/pictures, I'm betting a bunch of folks would love to build a replica....
View Quote

Right now, it's gonna be a lower, an upper, and a BCG. Maybe a barrel if room allows and/or a Sandman S. We are 98 days out till scheduled launch, so we got time to get something put together.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
about 90% of our rockets are made right here on this floor. As you can see, there are quite a few "toys" laying around, this is why you can't leave rocket scientist unsupervised. Weird awesome things happen.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5614/30566012063_51013ca874_c.jpg
View Quote

Um.... I play Kerbal Space Program, have a Harbor Freight Mini Mill and welder in my garage, and I am good with computers.... Can I have a job?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Um.... I play Kerbal Space Program, have a Harbor Freight Mini Mill and welder in my garage, and I am good with computers.... Can I have a job?
View Quote

Are you a master rigger? They are looking to hire another master rigger to help with the recovery system.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]

That's Awesome.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you a master rigger? They are looking to hire another master rigger to help with the recovery system.
View Quote

Sigh... No...
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I can make coffee for the smart people.

That is the extent of my qualification but I'd love to be there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One thing I have learned quick up here is to not tell these guys they can't do something...
View Quote

Then you really shouldn't tell them that launching 405gr .45/70 from an AR is impossible. Because no one needs to lob nearly 1lb of lead from an AR in a rapid fashion, ever.

I wonder if anyone makes a magazine that'll fit/feed 45/70...
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
So have you gotten any media types calling you guys yet, asking why you would ever want to do something so horrific?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So have you gotten any media types calling you guys yet, asking why you would ever want to do something so horrific?
View Quote

just one dude from the firearm blog.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Are you hiring? I wanna do this.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are you hiring? I wanna do this.
View Quote

are you a FAA certified master rigger?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

No...

But I'm really good at math and computers and physics and stuff.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess all of the space shuttle door gunners are jealous
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I guess all of the space shuttle door gunners are jealous
View Quote

Frankly I'm surprised it took this long for a SSDG joke!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Interplanetary arms trafficking!  I'm telling!

Seriously, that's frickin' cool.  Serial #MAGA-SSDG87.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I humbly submit my qualifications to the Hive....

I can find stupid pictures on the Internet....

I am also pretty handy with an IV catheter, can pass out pretty good narcotics (Consider me Medic Feelgood...)

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#26]
We have our final engine test Dec. 19th and will have a Senator and his staff in house to watch it. I hope we have the lower by then so I can get him to take a picture with it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

why... because we can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think this is an awesome idea... so not being a dick, but...

What is the point? Testing something, or just doing it for the lulz?

Either way, I am 100% on board.

why... because we can.

JFK"not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."JFK
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

JFK"not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."JFK
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

just one dude from the firearm blog.
View Quote

Wait, wait, wait.

I may be a writer of average online content, but I am not "media".

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your friendly local USPA Drop Zone would know of any FAA Master Riggers nearby...................
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Very irresponsible. . When it re enters earth it going to land right in the middle of a playground and some kid is going to have an AR15 laser space gun.

Great job more ammo for the left.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, the head engineers did get a FFL up here because they are building crazy guns all the time. They are working on a .357 magnum AR as we speak, so yes... it will be a unique serial number.
View Quote

Read this and instantly added you to IG.  Lol
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Your friendly local USPA Drop Zone would know of any FAA Master Riggers nearby...................
View Quote

luckily for us we are next door to a large drop zone, and we already stole one of their master riggers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Make sure the serial number starts with FBHO
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Very irresponsible. . When it re enters earth it going to land right in the middle of a playground and some kid is going to have an AR15 laser space gun.

Great job more ammo for the left.
View Quote

I know this is sarcasm, but since I am sure some people in the media would seriously see it this way. Let me explain. We launch essentially from White Sands Missile Range, which is 100 miles either direction from civilization. Because this Rocket is a Suborbital, meaning it never fully leaves earth's gravitational pull (Even ISS is effected by earths gravity and has to be reboosted into orbit every time a new rocket is launched up there), we only experience microgravity for about 250 seconds, that means it goes strait up and comes strait down. The vehicle use a very unique and sophisticated software that utilizes a parafoil to literally return our vehicle to it's launch pad. If we wanted to, we could launch our rocket, recover it, barring any major damage, put in another parachute, refuel it, and launch it again all in a few hours. How cool is that?

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#36]
when fired in space will the rifle and bullet travel at equal speed in opposite directions?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
when fired in space will the rifle and bullet travel at equal speed in opposite directions?
View Quote

Newton tends to think so, but he's been wrong before.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I know this is sarcasm, but since I am sure some people in the media would seriously see it this way. Let me explain. We launch essentially from White Sands Missile Range, which is 100 miles either direction from civilization. Because this Rocket is a Suborbital, meaning it never fully leaves earth's gravitational pull (Even ISS is effected by earths gravity and has to be reboosted into orbit every time a new rocket is launched up there), we only experience microgravity for about 250 seconds, that means it goes strait up and comes strait down. The vehicle use a very unique and sophisticated software that utilizes a parafoil to literally return our vehicle to it's launch pad. If we wanted to, we could launch our rocket, recover it, barring any major damage, put in another parachute, refuel it, and launch it again all in a few hours. How cool is that?
View Quote

That's pretty cool.

And I agree with one of the previous posters. GoPro should be using that failed launch for advertising. What a ride!

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well, the head engineers did get a FFL up here because they are building crazy guns all the time. They are working on a .357 magnum AR as we speak, so yes... it will be a unique serial number.
View Quote

Interested in 357 ar?????????????
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#41]
That's pretty cool. I've worked on a Aerojet Rocketdyne facility a few times over the years. It's always fun to get the unofficial tour of what may or may not be laying around. And to hear the rockets test fire is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#42]
ost
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Newton tends to think so, but he's been wrong before.
View Quote

No, Newton's 3rd law conserves momentum, not velocity. They'll go in opposite direction at speeds based on their weight.

But seriously. I want to do this shit.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:26:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Figure I'll add some pics from around the shop floor.

This is nosecone PC unit that basically controls the whole rocket. We have 3 engineers who double check everyones work, so it takes quite a while to get these built. It will fit nice and snug right up in the nose cone.

This is our static engine test sled. The fuel bladders were recycled from Morpheus 1. We built Morpheus here for NASA and then they went and destroyed it and had us rebuild it. You can read more about that project here. https://morpheuslander.jsc.nasa.gov/

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Got the lower designed today and will be ordering it next week.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Going to be live streaming our final engine test on instagram Monday at 12 cst!

IG info is below in Sig.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top