[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And then your boots caught on fire 
View Quote

Hot feet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Full leather combat boots are waterproof. Unvented type.

The waterproofness depends on proper care (polishing) to maintain.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#3]
It's between the Danner Pronghorn
and the Irish Setter Grizzly Tracker
My current Irish Setters are about 7 years old. I'm hoping current "waterproof" models are better.
The Danner's stitching looks a little wonky near the sole. What do you think?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#4]
1200g thinsulate on your link? Seems a bit much. I prefer uninsulated, unless I am going ice fishing. Almost makes me think your water leak might just be foot sweat.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No. Definitely not. I've never had a Gore-Tex boot that didn't eventually leak.
View Quote

I've spent a lot of time with goretex boots. I've dissected them, heard hundreds or thousands of experiences, seen busted boots, etc. The inner goretex booty having a seam failure is just rare. But, if you are sure it's a goretex failure, Goretex guarantees the products that use it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1200g thinsulate on your link? Seems a bit much. I prefer uninsulated, unless I am going ice fishing. Almost makes me think your water leak might just be foot sweat.
View Quote

Yes. Current boots are 800 gram. Maine 15F to 50F. It's not sweat. I know the difference.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've spent a lot of time with goretex boots. I've dissected them, heard hundreds or thousands of experiences, seen busted boots, etc. The inner goretex booty having a seam failure is just rare. But, if you are sure it's a goretex failure, Goretex guarantees the products that use it.
View Quote

They'll buy me new boots if it turns out to be a seam failure?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They'll buy me new boots if it turns out to be a seam failure?
View Quote

Repair, replace, or refund. Just like it says. It's posted on their site and I've heard it as well directly from a goretex rep. As I recall, it's not some byzantine process either. I haven't had to do it myself, but I know it's been done.

Here are the footwear specific FAQ's
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Repair, replace, or refund. Just like it says. It's posted on their site and I've heard it as well directly from a goretex rep. As I recall, it's not some byzantine process either. I haven't had to do it myself, but I know it's been done.

Here are the footwear specific FAQ's
View Quote

That would be awesome. I wonder how they determine value if you don't have a receipt and the boot model is no longer made? 50% discount on a pair of comparable new boots would make me happy
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That would be awesome. I wonder how they determine value if you don't have a receipt and the boot model is no longer made? 50% discount on a pair of comparable new boots would make me happy
View Quote

I imagine they will do right by you. A solid satisfaction guarantee is a pretty common and expected thing in the outdoor gear industry. And if nothing else, they might be able to educate you on how to make the waterproofing last longer. Teach a man to fish and all that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I imagine they will do right by you. A solid satisfaction guarantee is a pretty common and expected thing in the outdoor gear industry. And if nothing else, they might be able to educate you on how to make the waterproofing last longer. Teach a man to fish and all that.
View Quote

Case filed. We'll see how this goes now that I "waterproofed" with Obenaufs LP.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My current Irish Setters are about 7 years old. I'm hoping current "waterproof" models are better.
View Quote

I'm not a "made in USA" stickler, but the Danners made in Oregon really are better than the imported ones.

If you can afford it and are buying these with the intention of having them around for a long time, I'd go look for some native ones.  I believe only (some/most) of the made in US models can be resoled, if that's important to you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#13]
February 1996 I bought a pair of Matterhorns .

Still waterproof as of a few days ago.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Not really

A good pair will keep water out for a while crossing a stream or walking in a dew filled field but a truly water proof boot is made of rubber for prolonged
immersion in water.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm not a "made in USA" stickler, but the Danners made in Oregon really are better than the imported ones.

If you can afford it and are buying these with the intention of having them around for a long time, I'd go look for some native ones.  I believe only (some/most) of the made in US models can be resoled, if that's important to you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They absolutely are.

The Irish Setters are made in China, too.   I've got an old pair of the (USA made) Irish Setter Wingshooters and they are great boots.  The "new" Irish Setters?  Meh.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had this happen with Danner 14 years ago, took back a pair of boots that I had owned for a couple of years, was having problems with the boot squeaking, they shipped them to Danner and called me 5 weeks later and told me to come in and pick out my new boots.  I expected a pro-rated charge, or a discount, but when all was said and done it was a whole new pair of boots free.

It's probably why I will continue to buy Danner and recommend them, in addition to the fact that they are awesome.  Been my go to boot since 1989.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Case filed. We'll see how this goes now that I "waterproofed" with Obenaufs LP.
View Quote

Such coatings can decrease breathability, they won't damage waterproofing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes. Current boots are 800 gram. Maine 15F to 50F. It's not sweat. I know the difference.
View Quote

That's t-shirt and tennis shoe weather.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top