Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 33
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heard the other morning that 11 have perished.

Prayers to all involved.
View Quote

It's 13 right now.

I've talked to some up there helping out, pretty much everyone expects more to be found.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The Red Cross is to disasters what Wounded Warrior is to veterans.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We had a fire a few years ago in the East County of San Diego.
The Red Cross took in hundreds of thousands in donations.
The victims received some bedding and yard tools.
An investigation found the San Diego chapter's president made over 100k a year.
And the fire victims received only a small percentage of the donated money.
I do not donate to the Red Cross.

http://utawards.signonsandiego.com/alpine-challenge.htm
View Quote

I only donate directly to the organization I want to benefit.  Too much money is skimmed off the top if you give your money to some other agency so they can distribute it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#4]

great job.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think it just depends on the perspective of the viewer.  To a Christian, we'd view it as more symbolic than miraculous...reminding us that through tragedy that Christ is still with us.  To a non-Christian it would be a matter of coincidence or even irony that it happened to still be standing upright, just like the Smokey the Bear sign on a tree a few pictures above.   Similar to other tragedies like 9/11, where some of the wreckage seemed to take on the cruciform shape in some of the pictures, etc.

To me, if it brings a person hope in a time of tragedy, it can be very powerful, and certainly doesn't have any negative consequences.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate DU as much as the next guy but I've gotta agree with them.  I just don't see how it is a "miracle" that a concrete statue survived the fire along with every other concrete foundation in the area. 

I think it just depends on the perspective of the viewer.  To a Christian, we'd view it as more symbolic than miraculous...reminding us that through tragedy that Christ is still with us.  To a non-Christian it would be a matter of coincidence or even irony that it happened to still be standing upright, just like the Smokey the Bear sign on a tree a few pictures above.   Similar to other tragedies like 9/11, where some of the wreckage seemed to take on the cruciform shape in some of the pictures, etc.

To me, if it brings a person hope in a time of tragedy, it can be very powerful, and certainly doesn't have any negative consequences.

It's a symbol of hope. And I'll count on God a lot more than I ever would the petulant children at DU.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Reverend Ed Taylor has been identified. R.I.P. 
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

great job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

great job.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
With many dead in the Oakland fire how long before Obama comes out crying ?  I mean I'm not diminishing that tragedy but this will be another time where Obama applies his "some animals are more equal than others" policy be it from aspiring rappers getting shot to a black professor getting his sleep interrupted by a responding officer when the professors burglar alarm goes off , so that officer is racist.  Rant off.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Reverend Ed Taylor has been identified. R.I.P. 
View Quote

Damn, he married me and the ex-wife in 1995. RIP.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Micheal Reeds wife's body has been identified. No word on his two daughters.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just saw this on the local Knoxville channel.

They were searching the house section by section yesterday.Still looking for the 2 daughters.

I wonder if they will find any victims in the woods,as people probably ran from homes
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just saw this on the local Knoxville channel.

They were searching the house section by section yesterday.Still looking for the 2 daughters.

I wonder if they will find any victims in the woods,as people probably ran from homes
View Quote

As hot as the fire was - they may never find some.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Madison Wade from WBIR news twitter page

Constance's mother tells me two other bodies were found around her daughter- those bodies have not been identified yet. @wbir

Really heartbreaking, she had her babies with her during their final moments. 

I found the families youtube channel 

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As hot as the fire was - they may never find some.
View Quote

This is what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#20]
It made me feel sick when I found out about the wife and her two daughters. I was watching live when they first interviewed him and I had to turn the channel.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Constance's mother tells me two other bodies were found around her daughter- those bodies have not been identified yet. @wbir

03cBpMXVfrg</iframe>
View Quote

Fuck me.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
03cBpMXVfrg</iframe>
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#23]
They should torch the fuck who started the fire
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Can someone in the area pm where I could drop off items. What are things people really needing right now?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Damn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn

Local news reporting all dead.

Cannot even begin to imagine being in his shoes....totally heart broken over this.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cannot even begin to imagine being in his shoes....totally heart broken over this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Damn
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/no-thumb.jpg 03cBpMXVfrg</iframe>

I couldn't watch that.  I have a 10 year old and 8 year old daughters.  Not sure how I would handle it being in his shoes.  Life would be pretty hollow after that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heartbreaking.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh my God. I would be literally destroyed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#31]
If there are any WNC Asheville-Hendersonville area folks interested in sending anything over, I'm planning on taking a load over the mountain late this week and volunteering for at least a day.  Durka et al., I'm sending y'all an IM to get the lay of the land.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Man, that sucks worse than I have words for. RIP.

In a half-assed attempt to lighten the mood a bit, the Arfcom Express is in Knoxville, mission accomplished. We had to go to an alternate drop off site, the (gigantic)  storage building they were using got filled up this morning.

The new building (which will probably be full by the time I'm sending this, was getting chock-filled to the rafters with water, food, pet stuff, baby stuff, toiletry stuff... basically anything imaginable.  It was crazy well-organized, very impressive.  In addition to the metric shit-tonne of stuff we gathered, I had enough surplus cash for $200 in Lowe's gift cards. Once more, I'm just blown away for the generosity.

Okay, gotta get back on the road, I'll post some pics when I get back and get a shower.  I'm doing a pretty convincing hobo imitation right now.

Arfcom fucking rocks, and we made a difference today. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#35]
DeltaElite, just sent you an IM when you get a minute.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They should torch the fuck who started the fire
View Quote

The NPS is actively seeking anyone that hiked the Chimney Tops trail on November 23, as that appears to be the day it was started, by arson.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is it just me or is MSM pretty much ignoring this catastrophe?
View Quote

Arf is the only place I see coverage. I've been looking for it on Drudge
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Man, that sucks worse than I have words for. RIP.

In a half-assed attempt to lighten the mood a bit, the Arfcom Express is in Knoxville, mission accomplished. We had to go to an alternate drop off site, the (gigantic)  storage building they were using got filled up this morning.

The new building (which will probably be full by the time I'm sending this, was getting chock-filled to the rafters with water, food, pet stuff, baby stuff, toiletry stuff... basically anything imaginable.  It was crazy well-organized, very impressive.  In addition to the metric shit-tonne of stuff we gathered, I had enough surplus cash for $200 in Lowe's gift cards. Once more, I'm just blown away for the generosity.

Okay, gotta get back on the road, I'll post some pics when I get back and get a shower.  I'm doing a pretty convincing hobo imitation right now.

Arfcom fucking rocks, and we made a difference today. Thank you.
View Quote

Awesome dude.  Thanks for going.  I'll swing by your store next time I'm in Tullahoma for a drink.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Red Cross is to disasters what Wounded Warrior is to veterans.
View Quote

Based on what family members told me during the WV flood recovery, the Red Cross is a bad organization.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can someone in the area pm where I could drop off items. What are things people really needing right now?
View Quote

Local news said nail clippers,scissors,underwear,and luggage to carry the donated clothes were needed

They also said there is over 10,000  diapers donated and only 6 infants that wear diapers

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

03cBpMXVfrg</iframe>
View Quote

Cant imagine what that he and his son are going through.

Its not his fault but i bet him taking that ride before the fire haunts him with a lot of "what if's"

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Local news said nail clippers,scissors,underwear,and luggage to carry the donated clothes were needed

They also said there is over 10,000  diapers donated and only 6 infants that wear diapers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's gotta be more than that.  If that's true, holy crap we had an entire room full of baby food.  I visited one of the kids who needed diapers (1yo) and I got him the wrong damned size.  I told his mom that I thought "size 1 meant 1yo".  We'll get 'em taken care of, though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got home from the rescue squad. Crazy day. Lots of volunteers, lots of donations. Still trying to process it all.

I was put in charge of delivering the stuff to people. I got to meet quite a few folks, some who lost everything they had, others who had barely anything to begin with.

I had one family who's dad was out trying to find work to support their 4 kids, the oldest of which was at a shelter volunteering herself.

Another old man retired here, lost everything, was wearing all donated clothes, but still had the pride to tuck his shirt in.

Everyone I talked to today had a story of how they got out, and mostly just wanted to talk.

All were extremely grateful for the help they were getting.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There's gotta be more than that.  If that's true, holy crap we had an entire room full of baby food.  I visited one of the kids who needed diapers (1yo) and I got him the wrong damned size.  I told his mom that I thought "size 1 meant 1yo".  We'll get 'em taken care of, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just what the local news said,i thought the number was low as well
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Cant imagine what that he and his son are going through.

Its not his fault but i bet him taking that ride before the fire haunts him with a lot of "what if's"
View Quote

I really hope they are being surrounded with love ones right now and receiving all the help they need (grief counselor, etc) 

It's not his fault especially when they didn't get an evacuation notice, he was actually doing what he was supposed to do by being situational aware, he heard the fire had started and went to find out more information. Whoever was responsible for sending out that notice should be looked into. 
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#47]
The loss of property and jobs is bad enough but that can be overcome.  The lives of the family members of those who perished will never be the same.  The survivors are going to spend the rest of their lives second guessing their actions that day. The death toll and the loss of just good people is heartbreaking.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#48]
How long after the fires did they go out and retrieve those who perished? Michael Reed told the news the other day that they (search and rescue) went back to the house but nothing was there, did they find his family but told him they found nothing until it could be confirmed? 
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I couldn't watch that.  I have a 10 year old and 8 year old daughters.  Not sure how I would handle it being in his shoes.  Life would be pretty hollow after that.
View Quote

It is a huge tragedy but he left to go drive around in their only car and check things out. When SHTF the pack needs to stay together!!!!! Unless his family had the means to evacuate in his absence he should not have left then alone in a volatile situation. I myself would not be able to live with that guilt.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

03cBpMXVfrg</iframe>
View Quote

I'm sure momma bear made sure that the two daughters knew that she loved them, and held them close to the end.   I pray that the smoke overcame them first and they went to sleep and didn't suffer.

As a father of daughters this really pulls at my heart.
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top