Site Notices
Page / 33
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lol @sts900
View Quote

LOL, see what I did there? You were a worthy opponent during the World Series. When you come I will buy you some tix if you want to go.

On a more somber  note--   Now 11 confirmed dead.

As for the big companies taking over even more... I fear the same will happen. They have already been practically cutting off mountain tops to build on. Sad since my area that I grew up was literally destroyed by strip mines and then right when they started to recover the natural gas companies came in and destroyed it again. The smokies were lucky that the land companies didn't get in there and destroy everything to get the minerals.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Darwin seems to be asleep at the wheel concerning this couple.  

Devon couple sleeps as G'burg is evacuated.

“The wind really began to blow and soon the fire spread along and down the mountain”, said Mr Hughes.
Staff rang their room and told them the hotel was being evacuated but Mr Hughes said he was unable to drive as he had been drinking.

He said he was told transport would be arranged, but when they did not get another call they assumed the evacuation was off.
The next morning they found the town deserted apart from the emergency services.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I spent a weekend just outside of Gatlinburg in October at the Deer Ridge Mountain Resort. Really liked the condos there and it was close to hiking in GSMNP. I plan on returning next October. I would imagine they will have cleaned up all of the rubble by then but some of those neighborhoods won't be the same for many decades. I really love that area in the fall, especially getting on the Blue Ridge Parkway and driving out to Asheville.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, still don't know if the family Condo is reduced to ashes or not. But I did see on the news that the road leading to it was toast. 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

<p style="text-align:center"></p>

I hope these are just rumors. My wife and I made a substantial donation during the telethon this morning, in leu of our church tithes for the end of the year.
View Quote

Perhaps they've reformed, but... 5 years and $500 million later, the Red Cross' promise of 10,000 homes in Haiti comes up 9,994 short

There was another scandal about using Superstorm Sandy as a fundraising backdrop instead of providing any useful services.  Driving empty delivery trucks back and forth around damaged areas, showing off food for the cameras and then trashing it because they hadn't bothered to coordinate delivery with anybody, tying up relief vehicles at photo ops while failing to assist shelters.  They need to get their shit together.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Darwin seems to be asleep at the wheel concerning this couple.  

Devon couple sleeps as G'burg is evacuated.

“The wind really began to blow and soon the fire spread along and down the mountain”, said Mr Hughes.
Staff rang their room and told them the hotel was being evacuated but Mr Hughes said he was unable to drive as he had been drinking.

He said he was told transport would be arranged, but when they did not get another call they assumed the evacuation was off.
The next morning they found the town deserted apart from the emergency services.
View Quote

I believe this is a fake news site. It's rgistered through godaddy and is less than 6 months old.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You'all aren't going to believe this, but Dolly Parton just announced the Dollywood companies are giving families who lost their homes $1,000 per month for six months.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Perhaps they've reformed, but... 5 years and $500 million later, the Red Cross' promise of 10,000 homes in Haiti comes up 9,994 short

There was another scandal about using Superstorm Sandy as a fundraising backdrop instead of providing any useful services.  Driving empty delivery trucks back and forth around damaged areas, showing off food for the cameras and then trashing it because they hadn't bothered to coordinate delivery with anybody, tying up relief vehicles at photo ops while failing to assist shelters.  They need to get their shit together.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<p style="text-align:center"></p>

I hope these are just rumors. My wife and I made a substantial donation during the telethon this morning, in leu of our church tithes for the end of the year.

Criminal organization, shame too they were founded with good intentions.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Up here at the rescue squad waiting to work. About 25 to 30 people here. A bunch of truck trailers. Everybody's kind of waiting around it looks like.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Donate here Dolly
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok for you guys coming up tomorrow, there's a need for luggage, used or otherwise. They don't have anything to carry their stuff in
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ok for you guys coming up tomorrow, there's a need for luggage, used or otherwise. They don't have anything to carry their stuff in
View Quote

Okay.  Today is a "shopping" day.  I'll hit up Goodwill and similar to try to get the most bang for the buck.

Thanks man.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Death toll up to 13.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Death toll up to 13.
View Quote

Damn.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#19]
A few things, I am thankful no first responders were injured fighting these fires. I would like to hear some of the stories from the brass and the firefighters on the ground.  

When did they know they were fighting a losing battle? Did they hesitate calling in more support? Was there any extra support to call in? Was there weather causing problems using air support to fight fire?
Was there any thoughts of evacuating the city earlier? Who's decision was it?

These are questions for an AAR and now might not be the best time.  

The criminal investigation continues and any update on that other than the $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.
This might terrorist related will the DHS, FBI, or other federal agencies get involved?

What was the website for volunteers to help out? Anyone catch it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone driving through Southern Indiana on I-65 to go help?  If so I have a few pieces I can add to the cause.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#21]
WBIR addressing rumors right now if supplies being taken out of area and false.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A few things, I am thankful no first responders were injured fighting these fires. I would like to hear some of the stories from the brass and the firefighters on the ground.  

When did they know they were fighting a losing battle? Did they hesitate calling in more support? Was there any extra support to call in? Was there weather causing problems using air support to fight fire?

The criminal investigation continues and any update on that other than the $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.
This might terrorist related will the DHS, FBI, or other federal agencies get involved?

View Quote

They'll need more than 10k to get someone to turn if they know something.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When you come down be sure to catch a Tennessee Smokies game right at the interstate exit, you never know when you will get to see the next Bryant, Baez, Russell etc. before they get called up to the Cubs....
View Quote

Happ & Jimenez should be there next season. Already bought my season tickets for 17.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Took long enough for the Jug eared Joker to make contact. 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Took long enough for the Jug eared Joker to make contact. 
View Quote

Golfing is more important to that asshole

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Golfing is more important to that asshole
View Quote

Gotta get a few more holes in while he can
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Long story short.

The wind was howling on Monday and kept getting stronger into the night. Gusts of up to near 90 miles an hour from what was measured. Basically, hurricane force winds. The forecast had predicted up to around 40-60 MPH winds for the day, which was certainly bad enough.

There were existing fires already near the area and once the wind kicked in, it just blew embers/sparks/etc. all around into ares that were already a tinder box. There has been no appreciable rainfall in this area since the summer.

IMHO, no amount of fire supression equipment could have been used or would have helped. Most of the roads in these developements are steep, winding and narrow preventing the larger fire trucks. Also, most of these areas have no fire hydrants, so all water has to be tanked in. The winds would have prevented any air support.

Now the big question, could the evacuation been called earlier. Again, IMHO, yes it could have and should have and I am not saying that as a Monday morning quarterback. The forecasted winds of up to 60 MPH would have more than likely had the same effect. Not to mention falling trees, etc. What one has to remember that this area is driven by tourism and it's my opinion that is what kept the authorities from calling an earlier evacuation. In my mind, what was *forecast* was more than bad enough but what actually occurred was even worse. Evacuating tourists is bad for business, and costs the local economy.

My thoughts on this are also based on the fact I live near the park and frequent it often and have for 50+ years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Long story short.

The wind was howling on Monday and kept getting stronger into the night. Gusts of up to near 90 miles an hour from what was measured. Basically, hurricane force winds. The forecast had predicted up to around 40-60 MPH winds for the day, which was certainly bad enough.

There were existing fires already near the area and once the wind kicked in, it just blew embers/sparks/etc. all around into ares that were already a tinder box. There has been no appreciable rainfall in this area since the summer.

IMHO, no amount of fire suppression equipment could have been used or would have helped. Most of the roads in these developments are steep, winding and narrow preventing the larger fire trucks. Also, most of these areas have no fire hydrants, so all water has to be tanked in. The winds would have prevented any air support.

Now the big question, could the evacuation been called earlier. Again, IMHO, yes it could have and should have and I am not saying that as a Monday morning quarterback. The forecasted winds of up to 60 MPH would have more than likely had the same effect. Not to mention falling trees, etc. What one has to remember that this area is driven by tourism and it's my opinion that is what kept the authorities from calling an earlier evacuation. In my mind, what was *forecast* was more than bad enough but what actually occurred was even worse. Evacuating tourists is bad for business, and costs the local economy.

My thoughts on this are also based on the fact I live near the park and frequent it often and have for 50+ years.
View Quote

I grew up in East TN myself and still think of it as home, always will.  Sorry for the Mayor(s) but Monday morning QBing is how we prevent these things in the future. I would never ever, having not been in the "war" room at the time, blame anyone for their decision to evacuate the town or not. 80mph winds are going to do things to a fire no one has ever seen. I am very familiar with the roads in the area and will be surprised if the death toll is not double its current level

My take aways are:
Wind sooner than forecasted and much higher.
Information is hard to get up in a Mountain cabin, even harder when power, is out.
Cell service is spotty at best in the Mountains and can not be counted on.
Firefighters stand little chance of fighting fires in this kind of impossible terrain and weather.
You are always responsible for your own safety, but them most people on this site know that.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#29]
From Brittany Bade from WBIR Channel 10's twitter page

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A few things, I am thankful no first responders were injured fighting these fires. I would like to hear some of the stories from the brass and the firefighters on the ground. I was working the public safety division in the middle of the fire when it was localized to the Chimney tops area.  I was tasked with locating and evacuating any remaining park visitors.  When it started jumping Hwy 441 I was forced north and got cut off from Gatlinburg.  I then worked to locate and assist the 3 wildland crews who also got cut off.  These are my personal thoughts only and my perspective was quite myopic.

When did they know they were fighting a losing battle? Did they hesitate calling in more support? Was there any extra support to call in? Was there weather causing problems using air support to fight fire? I personally did not realize the potential spread of this fire.  The Chimney 2 IC is a good guy with a lot of western fire experience.  The OPS chief too.  Within maybe .5 hr of the fire crossing Hwy 441, it was jumping a ridge and moving towards the Sugarlands visitor center.  Shortly after thats,numerous spot fires and wind blown power lines had created many new starts.  My understanding is that Gatlinburg FD was working together in some capacity with the park.  It was way too windy and dark to even consider any ships.  

Was there any thoughts of evacuating the city earlier? Who's decision was it?   I dunno.  From my experience as a FF, LEO and former evacuee I know these are incredibly difficult decisions to make.  I don't know if there was a unified command structure in place as I was on park LE radio channels.  I also don't know what sort of major evacuation plan the city had in place considering some have spoken of this fire as a hundred year occurance.  In Colorado probably 99% of residents in my old county registered for automated public safety phone updates and evacuation zones are well planned in advance.  Some friends of mine in Gatlinburg said they got some form of notification.  But I don't know what system TN has in place and am unsure whether out of states visitors could get any alerts.  An above poster mentioned the Chamber of Commerce perspective on evacuating.  It's like pulling teeth.  Think Roy Scheider vs the Mayor in Jaws.  I took a Wildland FF Urban Interface class in Pigeon Forge and believe me, the 1.5 lane windy cabin filled roads like Wiley Oakley are a worst case scenario.  TN FD's seem to heavily emphasize Fire Wise and other residential defensive fire programs but I don't know how well it is recieved.  Besides, you can't force private property owners to clear trees when trees are the reason they own the property.  

These are questions for an AAR and now might not be the best time.   I will be very interested in this as well.

This might terrorist related will the DHS, FBI, or other federal agencies get involved?  Yes, many 3 letter agencies have been here since the beginning.

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
From Brittany Bade from WBIR Channel 10's twitter page

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cyr_2ZHXAAAC6wm.jpg:large
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Okay.  Today is a "shopping" day.  I'll hit up Goodwill and similar to try to get the most bang for the buck.

Thanks man.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man.

Thrift store back packs, bags, small luggage.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
WBIR addressing rumors right now if supplies being taken out of area and false.
View Quote

Rumor on the ground here as well, said it happened yesterday. People in charge are really paranoid, to the point of creating a small bureaucracy.  Stuff is getting backed up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My take aways are:
Wind sooner than forecasted and much higher.
Information is hard to get up in a Mountain cabin, even harder when power, is out.
Cell service is spotty at best in the Mountains and can not be counted on.
Firefighters stand little chance of fighting fires in this kind of impossible terrain and weather.
You are always responsible for your own safety, but them most people on this site know that.
View Quote

You bring some very good points.

But part of the reason I think the evac should have taken place earlier are due to some of the things you bring up.

1. Communication in and around that area is difficult at best.
2. Yes, the winds were greater than forecast, but what was forecast was already bad enough.
3. You are right that fighting the fire is difficult at best, about all you can do is to get the hell out of its way.
4. Even though everyone is responsible for themselves, unfortunately not all get that, you have to tell them to get out.

I am sure in the end a big recap will be done as it should be, given certain weather conditions this could happen again.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like you did well I heard of no injuries with any of the fire crews or park visitors.

I will be in the area around Christmas and will do my best to spend a few dollars in the area to help the people and business.
Buy you breakfast at Pancake pantry if you are still in the area!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I hate DU as much as the next guy but I've gotta agree with them.  I just don't see how it is a "miracle" that a concrete statue survived the fire along with every other concrete foundation in the area. 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Has Obama said anything or been in touch with any officials yet?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Has Obama said anything or been in touch with any officials yet?
View Quote

Yes
Link
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I remember there was a father looking for his wife and 2 daughters. Did he find them alive?

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I remember there was a father looking for his wife and 2 daughters. Did he find them alive?
View Quote
Not yet. 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Red Cross is a selfish shady self serving organization that hangs around as long as the television cameras are on them.  That is my opinion based on watching them operate through several natural disasters.   I will now bite my fingers and quit before I get in trouble.  OTOH, the Salvation Army is the only organization I donate to because I have seen what they do.   They are on site long after the tv cameras are gone.    
View Quote

That pretty much says it...I could say more as well but shouldn't.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I hate DU as much as the next guy but I've gotta agree with them.  I just don't see how it is a "miracle" that a concrete statue survived the fire along with every other concrete foundation in the area. 
View Quote

I think it just depends on the perspective of the viewer.  To a Christian, we'd view it as more symbolic than miraculous...reminding us that through tragedy that Christ is still with us.  To a non-Christian it would be a matter of coincidence or even irony that it happened to still be standing upright, just like the Smokey the Bear sign on a tree a few pictures above.   Similar to other tragedies like 9/11, where some of the wreckage seemed to take on the cruciform shape in some of the pictures, etc.

To me, if it brings a person hope in a time of tragedy, it can be very powerful, and certainly doesn't have any negative consequences.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Arfcom Express.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Donate here Dolly
View Quote

Thanks for the link.

I was able to make a small donation, wish it could have been more. I'm paying off around 20K in cancer bills so I have not been making any of the donations i would normally do, even to the animal shelter.  But I had to give something to Dolly's Foundation.  I've been up in that area many times and I am just heartbroken over the destruction.  Besides, these are my people too.  Hillbillies have to stick together.  

I also posted the link on my Facebook page.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#45]
http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=8c18c70f55ac4f81b683454fc7573d76

They are starting to update the map with destroyed and damaged structures.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got back from the Rescue Squad trying to do something to help the community out.  Hooked up with Reb and we worked together variously throughout the day.  

I can say this, the donations are pouring in so much that we don't know what to do with them, really.  They will help out down the road when everyone else moves on with their lives, but for now, they had to be offloaded, sorted, boxed, and made ready to distribute.  Lots of volunteers.  At first, it was sort of a cluster, because nobody really had any coordination.  By the end of the day, things were running like a smooth machine.  I somehow got roped into sorting maxi pads for about 2hrs, lol.

Now that I've experienced this, I can now see why the physical donations can be troublesome.  We got donations of curtains, some half-empty perfume bottles and lotions, an old lamp from the 70's, etc.  Seeing these things, nobody complained or scoffed at it, just laughed and each time we came across something quirky, we said "at least they gave."

We ran into some bureaucracy.  We had told the coordinators we had a truck, and everybody said "great! let's fill it up and get this stuff out to some people."  We went to a hotel and met a wonderful lady who, at the start of the day was cheerful, but by the end was worn out.  Hotel was Courtyard in Pigeon Forge, btw.  By the time we got back, and in the middle of a reload, we had one person who stopped us and said authorization would be needed, we couldn't take stuff out, people had to come in to get it.

1.  Many people had lost everything, including their cars.  How were they supposed to get there?
2.  It would create an unnecessary traffic problem at a place where rescue work was still actively being conducted.

So the stuff sat in my truck until the evening.  Finally, the real head coordinator came looking for us, got it all straightened out, and asked us to come back in the morning to start distribution.  I'm not sure where all this will go, but hopefully they will find homes for this stuff.  We were in a small center, and the place was filled with everything from toys to food.  We probably had enough to supply 5,000 people with hygiene.  We weren't even the main place.  All I can say is, there better not be a dirty mouth in Sevier County, TN, lol.  

Met some wonderful people.  Lady at the hotel grew up in the Sevierville orphanage, was deeply rooted to this place.  Met a man who's son and daughter committed suicide at different times, and he wanted to pay the rescue squad back because they had been the ones to search for her and eventually find her in a forest.  4 companies from as far away as South Carolina came up to donate their personnel to help.  They were invaluable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Delete
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Can't  wait to see more pics how AFRCOM is helping people out down there. Great job!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Heard the other morning that 11 have perished.

Prayers to all involved.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I wish I could be up there helping.  You guys take care.
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top