User Panel

Page / 129
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeager may think it's a Grendel
View Quote
Best caliber for fighting from a ditch is .300BLK.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
160gr Round Nose 6.5mm projectiles are meant to expand at slower speeds and not be driven by high working pressure cartridges.

.30 caliber 220-240gr projectiles are meant to be driven by magnums working in the 64,000-65,000psi range.

As a result, their jackets are extremely tough and thick.

This presents a major problem for the .300 Whisper, and is one of the nemesis's of the cartridge.

Funny thing though is that Alexander Arms make .300 Blackout subsonic ammunition with very soft, pistol-like projectiles in the heavy weights that will actually expand at subsonic speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy82nZGYji4
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bad. So now Im wondering if 6.5g  suppressed is more effective ballistically than 300 blk suppressed.

Edited to say using subsonic ammunition.
Ballistically, it'll be slipperier than a .30 at about any speed. Whether that would make a notable difference at subsonic velocities/ranges is up for grabs.

Regardless, you're still looking at a 140-160gr bullet compared to a 220-240gr with a slightly larger face. I guess it depends on deployment. The .300 is probably better as a sub-slinger, and okay at SS, while the grendel excels at SS, and is an okay sub-slinger.
160gr Round Nose 6.5mm projectiles are meant to expand at slower speeds and not be driven by high working pressure cartridges.

.30 caliber 220-240gr projectiles are meant to be driven by magnums working in the 64,000-65,000psi range.

As a result, their jackets are extremely tough and thick.

This presents a major problem for the .300 Whisper, and is one of the nemesis's of the cartridge.

Funny thing though is that Alexander Arms make .300 Blackout subsonic ammunition with very soft, pistol-like projectiles in the heavy weights that will actually expand at subsonic speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy82nZGYji4
Thanks for the info gentlemen.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's because they don't exist.

It took 7 years going back and forth with Barnaul to get the dimensions and everything right with them for 6.5 Grendel.

The 6.5 Grendel chamber was also designed from the start to work with steel cased ammo in the future, while also being very accurate.

It does this by using a .300" diameter neck, and a compound throat-another reason to go with the SAAMI chamber.
View Quote
What is a compounded throat? I keep also seeing Grendal & Grendal II.... what is this? Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#4]
@LRRPF52

What do you think about the Odin Works barrels, specifically the 20" DMR?  They say SAAMI spec chamber and .136 boltface depth, i just dont see a lot of reviews.  I'm trying to build a nice rifle so if they're good i'll grab one, but if not i'll go elsewhere?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is a compounded throat? I keep also seeing Grendal & Grendal II.... what is this? Thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because they don't exist.

It took 7 years going back and forth with Barnaul to get the dimensions and everything right with them for 6.5 Grendel.

The 6.5 Grendel chamber was also designed from the start to work with steel cased ammo in the future, while also being very accurate.

It does this by using a .300" diameter neck, and a compound throat-another reason to go with the SAAMI chamber.
I was researching this question for you, looking for a good simple explanation with pictures & what should I find?

Why, LRRPF52's lengthy post on the matter in the archives

Originally Posted By LRRPF52

SAAMI Grendel chamber is .300" neck with compound throat starting from the neck at .5 degrees, then at .153", it hits a 1.5 degree target leade. It shoots all bullet shapes well, is easy to load for. No matter what bullet I have tried with this cartridge, I get boringly similar results, namely ~.75 MOA to 1.2 MOA for 5rd groups measured at 200yds, from a production button rifled ER shaw/AA cut 16" barrel.

From 20" high end cut-rifled or button barrels, we typically see .5" or better accuracy for 5 rounds. Some of the AA/Satern barrels will shoot 8rds into less than .25". Many have contacted me and wished they could still get a Satern barrel with an AA provided reamer like they used to be.

6.5 CSS is Arne Brennan's chamber, which is a tighter neck, but still has the compound throat to be able to shoot VLD's from the mag without jumping them. It's an excellent chamber if you hand load for it and full-length size your own brass, ensuring the necks are at a point where they will still feed in a gasser.

.264 LBC-AR is a .295" neck with parallel freebore at .120", 1.5 degree target leade.

This mentioning of "Grendel II" is total hogwash BS to address a problem that never existed, unless you consider running a ragged turd reamer with no freebore through untold numbers of barrels, then sending them to Midway and Brownell's advertised as "6.5 Grendel", then blame AA for it. We took a chamber cast and did bore scope analysis of some of those. The rifling literally started in front of the neck of the case-absolutely no freebore at all, which is why projectiles were jammed way into the lands, bullets being pulled, primers piercing and blowing. Accuracy was great because there was no jump at all, jammed thoroughly into the lands like a bench gun. Pressures to blow primers are usually in excess of 70,000psi. Some morons actually advocated people to keep shooting those barrels, and ignore the "hype" from guys like me and others who have been reloading and shooting for decades.

Here's the comparison between the chamber cast of one of the Liberty barrels that were chambered with a severely worn reamer:

Now you see why factory ammo was jamming into the lands, piercing/blowing primers, pulling bullets, but shot very accurately.

Especially as the steel case now hits the market, you definitely want to ask for an actual SAAMI chamber if you plan to shoot it. Certain reamer makers don't like cutting the SAAMI reamers because it actually requires them to put attention to detail in the reamers that will show up quickly if they don't. Many ask, if the Grendel compound throat is such a good design, why aren't other cartridges using it?

Easy answer: Pressure. Since the Grendel operates at lower pressures, you don't erode the throat like you do with 58,000psi and higher designs. The next question then naturally is, why can't we just ramp up the pressure in the Grendel/AR15?

Easy answer again: AR15 upper receiver and barrel extension dimensions restrict us from using a larger diameter extension like on an AR10. Once we try to enlarge that, we just eliminated parts commonality with upper receivers and barrel extensions. Once we start looking at a redesign, we say, "Why not totally redesign the upper, lower, bolt, extension, and mags?"

Right now, the difference in performance between Grendel and .260 Rem for me is 200yds comparing 16" Grendel to 22" .260 Rem with a 123gr. With 22" to 22", it's more like 90-150yds difference.

Is it of any value to attempt a total redesign of the AR15 so I can close that 150-90yd gap? We're talking about effective ranges that are outside of over 98% of the consumers' capabilities or practical uses in the market. My little 16" stays supersonic out past 1300yds right now with just factory ammo at my lowest elevations in this State, and past 1000yds at sea level in other States.

If I go to a 20" or 24" Grendel, it's even farther, but I'm quite happy with the shorter barrels.

An 18" barreled Grendel will exceed the hunting and target uses of most consumers easily. Those who have very specific requirements will have their rifle built for them exactly how they want anyway. The 18" Grendel really offers a wide range of real performance advantages for the first time in firearms history if you think about it:

* Lightweight (8lbs or less base rifle)
* Small package/AR15 compatibility/ easily fit to the user, by the user
* Very low recoil for a centerfire rifle ~50% of a .308 Winchester, friendly to youth, small-framed, and injured shooters
* Medium to large game killing capability (Mule deer, large hogs, caribou, elk, moose)
* Excellent hunting system for stalking elusive game, with farther reach and less wind drift than many common hunting cartridges/rifles that require larger actions
* Semi-auto
* Trajectory like .308 or better, with less wind drift for hitting steel targets at distances up to 1000yds or more, depending on atmosphere and user skill
* Over 30 production factory loads available, all of which are meant to function in a gas operated AR15
* Affordable, readily available magazines
* SAAMI-approved & certified cartridge, with relatively low operating pressure

I can't think of another caliber/rifle that can fill all those bullet points, and the Grendel does each of them well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@LRRPF52

What do you think about the Odin Works barrels, specifically the 20" DMR?  They say SAAMI spec chamber and .136 boltface depth, i just dont see a lot of reviews.  I'm trying to build a nice rifle so if they're good i'll grab one, but if not i'll go elsewhere?
View Quote
Not LRRP52 but I'm loving mine. Still trying to get used to shooting tight groups with a semi-auto, but as for the fit and finish, they were all top notch.  I appreciated some of the little things they do that I didn't expect, like the notch just behind the gas port that you can use, in conjunction with their gas block which also has one, to ensure the gas block is lined up easily. I bought the 20" DMR package from Joe Bob Outfitters that included the barrel, BCG, and gas block.  Very happy with the purchase.  Just need to find the load it prefers and get better all around.

Obligatory pic of my rig.  I've since put a PA 4-14x44 RGRID in a Nikon 20 moa base on it and a suppressor mount.  Just need to decide on a stock:
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Side note, the dangerously out of spec issue he's referring too has been addressed from my understanding.

But that's the basis of the Grendel II chamber. The only way to fix the mistake was extend  the leade. So they did that and called it an improvement because you can fit really long round nose hunting bullets in there and even go over mag length and single load.

Now that's not really an issue if you KNOW what you're getting and WHY you're getting it, but they should just call it like .264 Saturn Improved or something and not make things confusing.

Much like the 223 Wylde, arguably a better chamber for .223 if you can take advantage of it, but he didn't call it .223 Remington II because he didn't screw things up and accidentally make that chamber trying to fix it.  

ETA that's not the best comparison as 223 Wylde is without a doubt a better chamber but you get the idea of what I'm getting at
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Any particular muzzle device work better than others for 6.5g in an ar?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I prefer silencerco trifecta brakes, because silencers
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]
No suppressors yet, waiting on the HPA to pass
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here's what I had prior to suppressing, it worked well.
JP Compensator
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Side note, the dangerously out of spec issue he's referring too has been addressed from my understanding.

But that's the basis of the Grendel II chamber. The only way to fix the mistake was extend  the leade. So they did that and called it an improvement because you can fit really long round nose hunting bullets in there and even go over mag length and single load.

Now that's not really an issue if you KNOW what you're getting and WHY you're getting it, but they should just call it like .264 Saturn Improved or something and not make things confusing.

Much like the 223 Wylde, arguably a better chamber for .223 if you can take advantage of it, but he didn't call it .223 Remington II because he didn't screw things up and accidentally make that chamber trying to fix it.  

ETA that's not the best comparison as 223 Wylde is without a doubt a better chamber but you get the idea of what I'm getting at
View Quote
Funny thing is you can still load to mag length the 160gr Round Nose from Hornady in a SAAMI chamber.

Why anyone would want a long freebore in a COL restriction based on the AR15 magwell in a semi-auto escapes logic, as you already beat the 90gr SMK single load COL in the .223 Rem with 2.260" or less in 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fuck that
Buy a can now

If you're waiting, better to wait with something pending

Dead Air, Rugged, SiCO, Griffin, Q
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fuck that
Buy a can now

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that
Buy a can now

Plus a lot of manufacturers are running some sales and specials right now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Plus a lot of manufacturers are running some sales and specials right now.
View Quote
I am seeing about a grand plus nfa
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
$600 SiCO can plus $200 stamp minus $200 rebate
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmmm
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#18]
For a gun that won't be "high volume" shooting the Gemtech tracker is inexpensive and very light ...11'ish oz.

Retail is around $450-500 I think.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was researching this question for you, looking for a good simple explanation with pictures & what should I find?

Why, LRRPF52's lengthy post on the matter in the archives
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For a gun that won't be "high volume" shooting the Gemtech tracker is inexpensive and very light ...11'ish oz.

Retail is around $450-500 I think.
View Quote
SiCO Harvester including $200 credit
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you go with a 5/8 threaded barrel, VG6 makes a comp/brake that's supposed to be excellent specifically for 6.5/6.8.  I've ordered one and I'll let you know, I really like their 5.56 brake.

If you go 9/16 have mercy on your soul...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you go with a 5/8 threaded barrel, VG6 makes a comp/brake that's supposed to be excellent.

View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Funny thing is you can still load to mag length the 160gr Round Nose from Hornady in a SAAMI chamber.

Why anyone would want a long freebore in a COL restriction based on the AR15 magwell in a semi-auto escapes logic, as you already beat the 90gr SMK single load COL in the .223 Rem with 2.260" or less in 6.5 Grendel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno man.

Some people are weird and some people just like to tinker with things I guess.

I think I remember popnfresh(sp?) got one so he could run some 140-160 range high BC bullets with hybrid ogives like Berger's to try and best .308 out to 1000.

But again if I remember correctly he got closer but ultimately wasn't able to do that, due to bullet weight /case capacity /working pressure restrictions.

Which circles back to exactly what you're saying, what's the point? The 85-130gr range is where Grendel earns its keep and loaded properly will do more than 99% of users even need or are capable of shooting. And the SAAMI spec chamber will function perfectly with all commercial ammunition including steel case and all bullets in the range I mentioned loaded to mag length or greater.

Where this cartridge really shines to me though as a novice long range shooter / semi-experienced hunter and in part why I think it's going to continue to grow is that it's simply a better caliber to invest in for the future. Grendel to creedmoor/260rem to 6.5 swede to 6.5-06 to .264 win mag. It's flat out a better family of calibers to chamber your rifles in than 6.8 or .30.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Question: mil spec firing pin, good to go?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:10:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not for Wolf. But everything else a standard pin is fine.

I finished my build a few weeks ago, and found a case of Wolf for $220 locally. With Wolf it's a 50/50 chance it will fail to fire. I filed down the inside of the stop on a firing pin, and cut down the taper on the tip, and it works. Though I do get random pierced primers on non-wolf ammo. I ordered an enhanced firing pin for a 7.62x39 build, it'll be here tomorrow and I'll see how that goes. Hopefully it works, as I would prefer not to have to change pins every time I wanted to plink or shoot reloads and factory ammo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:28:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I finished my build a few weeks ago, and found a case of Wolf for $220 locally. With Wolf it's a 50/50 chance it will fail to fire. I filed down the inside of the stop on a firing pin, and cut down the taper on the tip, and it works. Though I do get random pierced primers on non-wolf ammo. I ordered an enhanced firing pin for a 7.62x39 build, it'll be here tomorrow and I'll see how that goes. Hopefully it works, as I would prefer not to have to change pins every time I wanted to plink or shoot reloads and factory ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use standard pins...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:47:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I use standard pins...
View Quote
This is from my last range trip prior to messing with the pin. Two loaded 25 round mags. 25 failures to fire.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone else having this problem with wolf?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Isnt a light primer strike one of the issues with the different bolts/different chambers? I.E. "type 2 bolt, type 1 chamber".

In my research on this caliber, I seem to remember reading of a problem with this.

Just a suggestion, as I do not own anything in this caliber yet
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have had about 15 failures to fire, in probably 250 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you go with a 5/8 threaded barrel, VG6 makes a comp/brake that's supposed to be excellent specifically for 6.5/6.8.  I've ordered one and I'll let you know, I really like their 5.56 brake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh...SilencerCo makes a muzzle brake/suppressor mount in that thread pitch.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've shot 600 rounds of Wolf so far. Zero failures to fire.

What options do I have in 1/2x36 for a Grendel muzzle brake?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you get a 1/2-36 barrel?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where did you get a 1/2-36 barrel?
View Quote
The deal that was posted earlier for barrels from DSC was because they were blems cut to 1/2x36.  

To answer the question, any brake that's of good construction in 9mm should work all though inefficiently since 9mm is .355 and 6.5 is .264.  

I'd say get a 3lug mount in 1/2x36 and put a suppressor on it that can take .308.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The deal that was posted earlier for barrels from DSC was because they were blems cut to 1/2x36.  

To answer the question, any brake that's of good construction in 9mm should work all though inefficiently since 9mm is .355 and 6.5 is .264.  

I'd say get a 3lug mount in 1/2x36 and put a suppressor on it that can take .308.
View Quote
Yes, it's a DSC barrel. Do you happen to know any more about the barrel? (Type of steel, etc).  I think a 9mm muzzle brake would basically act more like a flash suppressor with .264 bullets going through it. I was wondering if anyone tooled up to make 6.5 specific muzzle devices for 1/2x36.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Isnt a light primer strike one of the issues with the different bolts/different chambers? I.E. "type 2 bolt, type 1 chamber".

In my research on this caliber, I seem to remember reading of a problem with this.

Just a suggestion, as I do not own anything in this caliber yet
View Quote
It's a new AA bolt and barrel. The Wolf ammo definitely wasn't getting hit hard enough. Had normal strikes on reloads and factory brass, but wouldn't get even as deep strikes with the Wolf.

I just got an "enhanced firing pin" this morning made for 7.62x39, and ran through 75 rounds of Wolf, and 20 rounds of reloaded brass. No fails to fire, not one pierced round. The reloaded brass had harder strikes than a standard pin gave but no pierced primers, and the Wolf definitely had harder strikes.

Here is before and after with the Wolf.

The two rounds on the left were from a standard pin that actually fired. The two on the right were with the new pin. Definitely a difference.

Here is before and after with brass reloads.

The one of the left was from a standard pin, the one on the right with the new pin.

The pin definitely has more area on the tip, and it looks like more of the primer is getting hit harder, and more square.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's a new AA bolt and barrel. The Wolf ammo definitely wasn't getting hit hard enough. Had normal strikes on reloads and factory brass, but wouldn't get even as deep strikes with the Wolf.

I just got an "enhanced firing pin" this morning made for 7.62x39, and ran through 75 rounds of Wolf, and 20 rounds of reloaded brass. No fails to fire, not one pierced round. The reloaded brass had harder strikes than a standard pin gave but no pierced primers, and the Wolf definitely had harder strikes.

http://i.imgur.com/EA4mZuC.jpg

The two rounds on the left were from a standard pin that actually fired. The two on the right were with the new pin. Definitely a difference.

http://i.imgur.com/Kl2v2eK.jpg

The one of the left was from a standard pin, the one on the right with the new pin.

The pin definitely has more area on the tip, and it looks like more of the primer is getting hit harder, and more square.
View Quote
What trigger are you using?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
1: Have you checked your springs?

2: That primer on the right looks pretty gnarly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#39]
@LRRPF52
@clausewitz8
@gunwritr

What about the Anderson barrels and bolts?

Are they safe to use?

They say .135 bolt face and Grendel I chamber, is that ok?

I'd like a cheap blaster/carbine for hunting in addition to the heavy DMR I'm building, and their barrel seems to fill the bill...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@LRRPF52
@clausewitz8
@gunwritr

Are they safe to use?

I'd like a cheap blaster/carbine for hunting in addition to the heavy DMR I'm building, and their barrel seems to fill the bill...
View Quote
No idea the cost there but why not jump in one of the group buys? Those Grendel bolts are awesome and I assume the barrels will be as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No idea the cost there but why not jump in one of the group buys? Those Grendel bolts are awesome and I assume the barrels will be as well.
View Quote
I'm already standing by for a high end barrel, this would be a nice one for maybe chopping or using as is for deer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@LRRPF52
@clausewitz8
@gunwritr

Are they safe to use?

View Quote
This is the direction I'm going right now. I'll try to report back on how it runs with steel case and accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is the direction I'm going right now. I'll try to report back on how it runs with steel case and accuracy.
View Quote
I think I'm going to buy one and do it and range report it... I'll give it a day for the masters of 6.5 to respond tho...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
About 4K rounds of steel and no problems.  AA bolt and std firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

1: Have you checked your springs?

2: That primer on the right looks pretty gnarly.
View Quote
Which springs? I've tried different combos and weights on the trigger and hammer. I'm running a larue MBT and even switched it with a mil spec trigger and ssa and had the same problem. Even with an extra power spring.

I've noticed a lot of the primers of wolf are set in farther than others. Which may have led to my problems. With the the brass, I've spent all day figuring out why the bulge happens. The new pin has a larger face and it pushes the primers out more. I've struck already detonated primers and the bulge happens. And I've chronod rounds with no loss. The new pin is definitely smashing more of the primer. As long as it isn't piercing, or leaking, I'm not worried.

No loss in accuracy or fps. If anything, I'm now getting more consistent groups out of steel than before. Not sure if it's because of the pin, or that I'm not worried if the round will go off or not.

I've noticed with the wolf that does go off with a standard pin that there is a fraction of a second hang. I'm definitely not getting that now.

I shot < moa groups with wolf out to 500 yards today. And my groups at 100 are way tighter. If the primers look like shit but function with no problems elsewhere. I'm not worried.

The main reason I did a grendel build was the availability of cheaper long distance plinking ammo and  the availability to reload with the same bullets I do with my Creedmoor ar10 and bolt gun. I'm super happy now to have a cheap shooting longer range cal8ber to compliment other calibers I have.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What trigger are you using?
View Quote
Used a mil spec trigger. Larue MBT and a Geissele  SSA.  I've used different weight hammer and trigger springs on the mil spec and MBT triggers. Same problems.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Used a mil spec trigger. Larue MBT and a Geissele  SSA.  I've used different weight hammer and trigger springs on the mil spec and MBT triggers. Same problems.
View Quote
If your bolt length was ever so slightly out of spec (too long) it would effectively shorten the FP protrusion.

Never seen that before, but in theory...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If your bolt length was ever so slightly out of spec (too long) it would effectively shorten the FP protrusion.

Never seen that before, but in theory...
View Quote
Measured it. AA bolt at its specd length and same length as standard bolts.

I've measured how much the firing pin goes though the bolt and it's definitely less of a protrusion that other ar bolts and pins I have.

Possibly the inner channel wasn't cut deep enough for a standard pin to protrude. Or not as much of s chamfer if there is any. I'll have to measure the inner lengths. But the 7.62x39 enhanced pin was 100% reliable today.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Which springs? I've tried different combos and weights on the trigger and hammer. I'm running a larue MBT and even switched it with a mil spec trigger and ssa and had the same problem. Even with an extra power spring.

I've noticed a lot of the primers of wolf are set in farther than others. Which may have led to my problems. With the the brass, I've spent all day figuring out why the bulge happens. The new pin has a larger face and it pushes the primers out more. I've struck already detonated primers and the bulge happens. And I've chronod rounds with no loss. The new pin is definitely smashing more of the primer. As long as it isn't piercing, or leaking, I'm not worried.

No loss in accuracy or fps. If anything, I'm now getting more consistent groups out of steel than before. Not sure if it's because of the pin, or that I'm not worried if the round will go off or not.

I've noticed with the wolf that does go off with a standard pin that there is a fraction of a second hang. I'm definitely not getting that now.

I shot < moa groups with wolf out to 500 yards today. And my groups at 100 are way tighter. If the primers look like shit but function with no problems elsewhere. I'm not worried.

The main reason I did a grendel build was the availability of cheaper long distance plinking ammo and  the availability to reload with the same bullets I do with my Creedmoor ar10 and bolt gun. I'm super happy now to have a cheap shooting longer range cal8ber to compliment other calibers I have.
View Quote
If it were a spring, it would be the hammer spring. There might also be a timing issue causing light strikes, but if the new firing pin fixes things, then that wouldn't be it.

As for the bulged primer, my wild, hairy-assed guess, given that it happens with already fired cases as well, would be that the larger impingement of the new firing pin is doing a bit of swaging of the primer's softish metal body, and since the excess has no place else to go, it pushes out of the pocket.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting. Thanks for the update. The two different chambers for this round make it a little confusing to say the least.
Page / 129
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top