Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2016 7:43:07 PM EDT
I've read some high level articles and then found this article .

AT&T is holding a launch event for DirecTV Now, its upcoming over-the-top service, on November 28th in New York City. In a bid to grab market share away from incumbent services like Sling and PlayStation Vue, DirecTV will offer over 100 channels for $35 a month, which is arguably the best value offered by any over-the-top service.

According to a report from Variety, consumers who sign up for DirecTV Now for three months will reportedly receive a free Apple TV, and those who sign up for a single month will receive an Amazon Fire TV Stick. Given how small the profit margins could end up being on DirecTV Now, it looks like AT&T is doing anything it can to get a substantial number of subscribers on board as soon as possible to make the service financially viable.

With carriage deals already in place between AT&T and Disney, NBCUniversal, Viacom, Scripps, Discovery, HBO, Starz, A&E Networks, and reportedly a VOD library with 14,000 titles, DirecTV Now should have a robust offering of top-flight channels. But questions remain about the possibility of features like a cloud DVR and the ability to pause live TV. Thankfully we will find out the answers to all of our questions in 10 days.

20 year DTV subscriber, who just installed 100 Mb fiber to the house (and can get faster for cheap if needed).  I love the DTV UI, networked DVR's, on demand and high quality product...but their prices are nuts, esp NFL Sunday Ticket.  I just negotiated $50 off a month for 12 months and a $60 refund on the $360 annual NFLST fees, but that took a screaming match with two different reps over the phone.  AT&T "customer service" practices are really something to enjoy if you are in a bad mood!

I'm ripe for cutting the cord, but I do like keeping some live TV beyond the OTA locals.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I need to call and have a bitch fest.  
I just got their fiber installed.  It's time for me to be given the deals they're giving everyone else.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got their fiber installed.  It's time for me to be given the deals they're giving everyone else.
View Quote

I got DirectTV in its infancy.

Had it for 15 years.

Their skyrocketing costs, plummeting customer service, and their refusal to give me the deals they were giving new customers made me cut the cord a few years back.

Don't miss 'em.

FDTV
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly how I felt.  I typically do not rant and rave, but enough is enough...plus the first CS rep was purposefully misleading and evasive.  Wife's parents bounce around between TWC, DTV and local phone/internet company and get great deals while the loyal 20 yr DTV customer funds it.  Changing to the local fiber company for internet/phone and tried their TV service (shitty UI, limited DVR service, etc) really opened my eyes to alternatives.  Ideally I want to cut the cord, but I need to get a newer TV in the family room, which gets all of the use, so that its easier to use.  So right now looking to optimize cost and feature wise what I have, plus I can keep NFLST and watch my hometown team.

DTV Now could be the answer as to how to get the Fox News type channels which always seems to be missing from any conversation about cutting the cord.  I have an OTA antenna and distribution amp to all sets now.  After the dust settled on my DTV call I asked them for info on Now and all they could tell me was that 1) go to directv.com and search on directv now and then sign up for more info (I did, nothing yet) 2) it starts at $35/month for 100 channels and you are limited to "2 streams at a time".  
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have been a customer long enought they will bend over backward to keep you. I just got $75 knocked off my bill plus the Genie simply by calling and asking for discounts etc. to my bill. I have been a subscriber since 2003.

Thats $50 off for the next two years and $25 off because of promotions they are running on channels for the next 6 months.

I typically call DTV every 6 months and ask for the retention department and tell them I want all the discounts they can give me on my bill. I've never been told no or not got a discount. Again though, I am a long time customer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top