Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/17/2016 8:59:02 AM EDT
I need a new pair for deer hunting.  Former pair were Zeiss Conquest 8x.  I was thinking of going to 10x.  I'd like them somewhat compact (i.e. not to big to stalk with).  What does the hive think about Vortex Viper line?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you hunt the west? 10X is great for that. Not for the woods at all.

I think you should buy some Swarovski compacts. I don't have them, cuz I'm poor.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry a set of 8x and a set of 15x out west... I also carry a spotting scope.  Too much glass?  I think not.  

In any case the Viper line is really good quality for the money.  The Razor line is exceptional quality..
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Few months back I bought the viper 10x50s for a Muley hunt and was very pleased with them. They were better than the Nikon monarchs they replaced.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Swarovski EL 10x42

If you have the cash, they are the best you can buy.  Glass is amazingly bright.  Had the viper HDs before the Swaros, nice but not in the same class as the EL's

Buy once cry once, I went from cheap Nikon to Leopold to viper HDs to Zeiss then finally opened up the wallet for some Swarovski.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Swarovski EL 10x42

If you have the cash, they are the best you can buy.  Glass is amazingly bright.  Had the viper HDs before the Swaros, nice but not in the same class as the EL's

Buy once cry once, I went from cheap Nikon to Leopold to viper HDs to Zeiss then finally opened up the wallet for some Swarovski.

View Quote

Too funny. Started with Nikon 8X, currently have Leupold BX-3 10X. For the $300 they cost me I really like them, but my next pair will be Swarovski. The difference is huge.

eBay and Craigslist have some nice deals from time to time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Steiner 8 x 30 Military Marine.  Good glass, fairly compact, rubber armored, about $200 as I recall.  Had mine for seven years.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with 10x42 cabelas euro HD. They are made by meopta in Czech Republic. I liked them better than the vortex razor and much better than the zeiss conquest. I use a kuiu bino harness. I'll never not use a harness ever again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a some steiner predators 8x42 this year and used them for Elk and Deer hunting and couldnt be happier. I looked at a lot of glass before landing on them because for the money they were hard to beat.

Here
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a pair of Vortex, go here and pick your price range.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/binoculars
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a pair of Viper HD's last year for Elk in 8x42 only because I needed something that wasn't unwieldy here in the brush. I love them. My eyes are bad and I have a medical condition that affects them and they are a huge help in low light situations. I've been able to pick deer and elk bedded down that I certainly would have missed with a cheaper pair.

All in all I would head to Cabela's or whoever has glass nearby and compare them to others. For me they were a night and day difference and well worth the money.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42s. Really good glass! Now not Swarovski good but then again, the price is also a huge difference so I think there is and should be a difference. For the price I am more than happy. And they are not big at all, very compact.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Swarovski EL 10x42

View Quote

This, fucking love those things, and they fit my hands and I can glass for very long periods of time and not get eye fatigue.  The Leica ones were my second choice, they just did not fit my hands as well, great glass also.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have some Viper R/T 8x and they are great.

My first exposure to Vortex binos was when I got my mom and stepdad a set of DBack 8x and they are VERY good for the price.

I picked up the Viper R/T last year and have been well pleased with them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought some Compact Vortex 8x Diamondbacks and have been really Impressed for a budget Binocular.
  Clarity FOV and resolution for deer hunting are more than enough.
We looked side by side with some old Steiner's and no contest.
Lens technology has come a long way
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I went with 10x42 cabelas euro HD. They are made by meopta in Czech Republic. I liked them better than the vortex razor and much better than the zeiss conquest. I use a kuiu bino harness. I'll never not use a harness ever again.
View Quote

I think Cabela's is now using rebranded Vortex for their in house stuff.

Could not agree more on bino harness. That and a Kifaru Gunbearer make spot and stalk hunting easy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I hunted for 5 years with mediocre binos and could only spot deer in the open. Once, I was hunting with a friend who owned Swaro ELs and he spotted a buck, bedded in heavy cover. I couldn't see it through my binos so he gave me his. I could not believe the difference in brightness and clarity. Needless to say, I now own 3 pairs of Vortex Razor HDs. They're not swaros but when your are outfitting a family of young hunters, you get the best you can afford. Also, you really get your monies worth in low light conditions (am pm). I can spot and identify game a good 10 - 15 minutes sooner in the morning. All 3 pairs were demos from www.cameralandny.com

Tom
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use the Alaska Guide Creations harness, and agree, will not be without a bino harness for hunting again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought some Steiner 8x42 off Amazon, I think they are some kind of Amazon exclusive. They were a little over $100 and they are really unbelievably nice for the price.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
This guy knows... Cabelas euros are 95% or better of the swaros but a lot less money. I have the fhf gear harness for it and my Leica rangefinder and it's a great setup
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't buy anything until you try out a set of Vortex Razor HD 10x42.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh, hunted out west, Maine, Kentucky, Ohio and Canada. Deer hunting is farm lands with small pockets of woods and I find 10 power is just fine for all the places Ive hunted. Especially when looking into the woodlots beyond the edge to try and spot movement.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Get a nice pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x binoculars.  Just got some for hunting and they worked out great.  They won't break the bank.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I need a new pair for deer hunting.  Former pair were Zeiss Conquest 8x.  I was thinking of going to 10x.  I'd like them somewhat compact (i.e. not to big to stalk with).  What does the hive think about Vortex Viper line?
View Quote

I have Vortex Diamondbacks.  They are pretty good.  Based upon the difference between my Viper PST and Razor rifle optics, I'm guessing the Razor binos are awesome.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#25]
the best

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Bought some vortex talon HD 10x binocs last month at Cabelas for 230 bucks on clearance.

Very sharp and clear. Slightly heavier than my Nikons but fantastic glass.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I just bought a pair of Vortex 10x42 2016 diamondbacks. Not the most expensive glass out there but they are very impressive. Will use them for deer, coyotes, etc. Very pleased with purchase.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I carry a set of 8x and a set of 15x out west... I also carry a spotting scope.  Too much glass?  I think not.  

In any case the Viper line is really good quality for the money.  The Razor line is exceptional quality..
View Quote

I've got Razor 10x42's and I like them.  My buddy is a Swarvo guy and is generally pretty knowledgeable on glass.  He thinks that the Razors are on par with the Swarvo EL's.  I think that the Viper line has a lot of bang for the buck if budget is an issue.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the vortex diamondbacks 10x42, I absolutely love them. They work great for me, I use them for deer hunting as well.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I knew the Swarovski name would pop up.  I've looked thru a few pair and a few scopes that others had while on hunts.  they are amazing, no doubt about it.   While I could easily afford them or other + $1,000.00 binoculars I just can't justify the price for how much I use them.   If I were a guide or hunted around lot more I'd do it.

I was thinking of staying in the  $500 to  $600 range.  So what say the now?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Swarovski EL 10x42

View Quote

This.  I just have the cheapo SLC model, and they're still an order of magnitude better than anything else I ever used.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#33]
As a (former) hardcore birdwatcher, I can't say enough good things about Vortex optics. The Viper line is the best you can do for the money IMO.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#34]
one thing i can't understand is  that companies are still using center focus when individual focus has been around so long.   are there any advantages to center focus?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Huh, hunted out west, Maine, Kentucky, Ohio and Canada. Deer hunting is farm lands with small pockets of woods and I find 10 power is just fine for all the places Ive hunted. Especially when looking into the woodlots beyond the edge to try and spot movement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carried mine shed hunting last spring. Had a very hard time seeing anything in the woods. Have a bunch of hours behind them now so it might be better, but damn I had a hard time locating what I was seeing with the naked eye.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Is $505 delivered a good price for the Viper 10x42 HD?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

if you want to buy them at least wait till black friday to see if they go on special.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

For new that is pretty good. Used can save you hundreds of dollars on Vortex binoculars, or any other binoculars for that matter. Hunt eBay and Craigslist.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a pair of Vortex diamondback 8x42 that I quite like. That is until I looked through a pair of my friends new Athlon Ares 10x42's back to back.

The ED glass and edge clarity was much better on the Athlons. Now I am tempted to sell my brand new diamondbacks to get the 8x42 version of the the Athlons.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got Swarovski EL 8.5x42 binos. Bought them when the ELs first came out. I've dropped them out of a tree from 25' with no damage and am still amazed at the quality of the image they deliver. Once I heard a stick crack when it was nearly pitch black so I stayed put. When it was so dark I couldn't see the 50-60 yards to the direction of the sound I raised the binos up and was amazed to see a nice buck standing there in what appeared to my naked eyes to be pitch black. For me the extra weight of the 8.5x42s is worth it over the 8x30's for the brighter view and better low light performance. For out west their 10 power binos would be the ticket.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#41]
FYI op, you can save hundreds of dollars by buying from the bargain cave at cabelas if you have one local
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#42]
With binoculars, the difference between a $40 pair and a $200 pair is enormous.

The difference between a $200 pair and a $2000 pair is noticeable, but nothing like stepping up to $200 from $40.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I have viper hd 's and they are great (12x50s) though my buddy
Bought razors and I have to say they are amazing
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have viper hd 's and they are great (12x50s) though my buddy
Bought razors and I have to say they are amazing
View Quote

I really... and I mean really want some vortex glass.  

I might slurge if I get a decent xmas bonus this year on some Viper HD's.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I just got a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42s. Really good glass! Now not Swarovski good but then again, the price is also a huge difference so I think there is and should be a difference. For the price I am more than happy. And they are not big at all, very compact.
View Quote

I have a set of these from EuroOptics.  To me, after looking through many sets of bino's in their store, the Vortex Viper HD's in 10x42mm were the best combination of optical clarity, overall quality, and price.  There are certainly better (and worse) binoculars, but I'd take a look at Vortex.  They are awesome bino's with an awesome lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Decent, yes.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
With binoculars, the difference between a $40 pair and a $200 pair is enormous.

The difference between a $200 pair and a $2000 pair is noticeable, but nothing like stepping up to $200 from $40.
View Quote

This is very true.  I suppose it's the law of diminishing marginal returns and all.  Having spent time with many binoculars at a high end dealer, I could not justify more than the $500 Vortex Viper HD's. Swaro's are awesome, but not $1,500 more awesome than the Viper HD's to my eyes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Ordered the Viper 10x42 HD off Amazon.   Should be delivered tomorrow.   If you guys would like I'll update this with a side by side comparison with the Zeiss 8x.  I almost had a weak moment and ordered the Swarovski s.  I asked myself if I'd have buyers remorse and the answer was a resounding yes.  I'll work my way to Swarovski someday maybe as great quality optics are likened to a "gateway drug" lol.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#49]
The Mrs is asking me for Xmas gift ideas.  I've always just used the strap that comes with.   What harness or accessories would you guys recommend?  I don't need top of the line stuff at this point.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#50]
FHF makes a nice chest pouch.

I just use an inexpensive chest harness.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top