[#1]
Guilty.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guilty.
View Quote

Indeed.  Not to mention he was the slowest runner ever.  The cop could have walked faster than him to catch him.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Not.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#4]
i wonder what plea they offered him and why he didnt take it? that video is damning as fuck.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#5]
No reason he should have shot him. Plus didn't he drop his taser next to the body?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No reason he should have shot him. Plus didn't he drop his taser next to the body?
View Quote

yup.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Dude is FUCKED.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Press the fight! I had to get it on!
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe the media will finally get the racist killer cop conviction that they've been so desperate for.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]
That dude threw his life away for nothing...a cop in prison...ughhh..just kill me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Think they'll give him 20 years of solitary for his safety?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#12]
DBL
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#14]
In before the riots.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.
View Quote

yeeeeaaaaaa but I can draw a pretty solid conclusion from the video.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#16]
stop or I'll yell stop again
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe the media will finally get the racist killer cop conviction that they've been so desperate for.
View Quote

SOROS
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only reality is their idiot conviction.  
I know, I know they will say cop was wascist yada yada
Cop was an idiot to shoot him, plain and simple.

In this case, justice will be served for a wrongful crime.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#19]
something about two idiots colliding and all that
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#20]
A PBSO deputy shot a blk dude in the back that was running from him. The 20 year old lived but is a paraplegic..his mom was on the news going on about his potential earnings as a rapper lol, was 20 million and sued the county. Iirc they got 2 million of which $80 k went to a new 'Slade..I am serious.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#21]
That ex-cop "looks" to be guilty of murder.  I guess we will find out what a jury thinks.

And our piece of trivia for today is that both of these guys, Michael Slager and Walter Scott, are Coast Guard veterans

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#22]

* "f" for fooked
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Will be interesting to hear his defense, IIRC both were shocked by the tazer and the video frames might have shown the suspect on top of the cop on the ground.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, he's fucked.  And by the looks of it, he should be.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#26]
This is a manslaughter case at best, topped with whatever state law allows for evidence tampering or possibly falsifying his statement.  Up until 1985 it was generally accepted that a fleeing felon could be shot (in the back or front) whether they were perceived to pose a generalized threat to the public or not.  Tennessee v. Garner resolved that there needed to be perceived threat to the Officer or others.  Would a reasonable person believe Scott to pose a threat to the public if he had attempted to disarm a Police officer and was fleeing? He was acting erratically, with alcohol and cocaine in his system and he was likely aware he might go to jail for not paying child support.  How dangerous is Scott?  Police Officers process these cues in a very short period of time in rapidly deteriorating situations.  From the video, the officer engaged the suspect in an open area with no cover to retreat to to reassess the situation.  Now why is Scott fleeing? There appears to have been a scuffle just prior to Scott and the Officer entering the frame. If he struck the Officer or tried to take his taser (or gun), he is now a fleeing felon.  How dangerous is he? Does he pose a danger to children playing in the same park? What is he willing to do to get away?

ETA:. Generally accepted as legal in many states but most LE agencies already had far more restrictive policies on use of deadly force... clarification...
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I know the SSPBA dropped him within a few days of he shooting.

That does not happen very often.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will be interesting to hear his defense, IIRC both were shocked by the tazer and the video frames might have shown the suspect on top of the cop on the ground.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I know the SSPBA dropped him within a few days of he shooting.

That does not happen very often.

For us non-LEO folks, what or who is SSPBA?

Having seen the video, I really have no idea what sort of defense his legal team is going to mount, so could be interesting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is a manslaughter case at best, topped with whatever state law allows for evidence tampering or possibly falsifying his statement.  Up until 1985 it was generally accepted that a fleeing felon could be shot (in the back or front) whether they were perceived to pose a generalized threat to the public or not.  Tennessee v. Garner resolved that there needed to be perceived threat to the Officer or others.  Would a reasonable person believe Scott to pose a threat to the public if he had attempted to disarm a Police officer and was fleeing? He was acting erratically, with alcohol and cocaine in his system and he was likely aware he might go to jail for not paying child support.  How dangerous is Scott?  Police Officers process these cues in a very short period of time in rapidly deteriorating situations.  From the video, the officer engaged the suspect in an open area with no cover to retreat to to reassess the situation.  Now why is Scott fleeing? There appears to have been a scuffle just prior to Scott and the Officer entering the frame. If he struck the Officer or tried to take his taser (or gun), he is now a fleeing felon.  How dangerous is he? Does he pose a danger to children playing in the same park? What is he willing to do to get away?  

ETA:. Generally accepted as legal in many states but most LE agencies already had far more restrictive policies on use of deadly force... clarification...
View Quote

A chubby middle aged guy plays tug of war over a taser and you want to pretend he's a real danger lol.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A chubby middle aged guy plays tug of war over a taser and you want to pretend he's a real danger lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked the question the jury will be asked...I haven't pretended anything, but we'll put your opinion down as "chubby people can't be dangerous." Got it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Guy is totally guilty, but i want a riot so lets hope for a not guilty verdict today.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Guy is totally guilty, but i want a riot so lets hope for a not guilty verdict today.
View Quote

RIF..they are just picking a jury today
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I asked the question the jury will be asked...I haven't pretended anything, but we'll put your opinion down as "chubby people can't be dangerous." Got it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah I'm chubby and I'm fucking dangerous. Of course he will be allowed to claim the decedent was dangerous. He has to be allowed to claim something. Doesn't make it realistic.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I can't imagine how that cop can articulate any reasonable fear of injury or death to himself or the public at the time he pulled the trigger. I'm sure somebody here will try real hard though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#37]
This trial may not go the way the prosecutors want...

The rest of the story wasn't included in the 10 or 15 second clip shown on the news...The dead guy had a warrant and was escaping. The officer had already fought with and chased the guy who had attempted to disarm him during the struggle which elevates use of force to deadly force, as in the bad guy was ready to kill the officer to get away...fleeing felon.... I don't believe picking the taser up was an attempt to stage as scene, he was picking up one of his weapons that was laying on the ground.

Perception of a winded, large bodied officer as to perp's threat....may be hard to get a conviction as bad as it looked on the news. And many state laws are on the book regarding the use of deadly force on fleeing felons...
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#38]
What type of violent crime do you think he would commit if he escaped?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

In before the riots.
View Quote
Even if there is a conviction lol
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riots after the election are pointless, we need them now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Nah I'm chubby and I'm fucking dangerous. Of course he will be allowed to claim the decedent was dangerous. He has to be allowed to claim something. Doesn't make it realistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

H

Have you seen anything about his past/history that would shed some light on whether or not he has a propensity for violence? I haven't but I think its a relevant issue the defense might bring up.  I think the Officer handled this in a way that very few LEO's would but it's not murder based on what's been in the media.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#42]
That last shot and moving the taser are what will likely hang him, IMHO.

It's the coverup that gets you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
i wonder what plea they offered him and why he didnt take it? that video is damning as fuck.
View Quote

Maybe they didn't give him much of an offer considering how damning that video is.  His best bet may be to take it to a jury and convince them that a police officer is privileged to casually shoot someone for running away.  Think the only thing that could have made that video more damning is if the cop would have walked up to the dying guy and popped him with a couple anchoring shots.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

That last shot and moving the taser are what will likely hang him, IMHO.

It's the coverup that gets you.

View Quote
It will be interesting to see what Slager's story was before the video surfaced.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
H   Have you seen anything about his past/history that would shed some light on whether or not he has a propensity for violence? I haven't but I think its a relevant issue the defense might bring up.  I think the Officer handled this in a way that very few LEO's would but it's not murder based on what's been in the media.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

H   Have you seen anything about his past/history that would shed some light on whether or not he has a propensity for violence? I haven't but I think its a relevant issue the defense might bring up.  I think the Officer handled this in a way that very few LEO's would but it's not murder based on what's been in the media.

He was a long term fuckup not a hardened criminal. I'm sure the defense will try, because absent that they have nothing.

Manslaughter is a stretch. I think he got sick of the guys shot and popped him. That's not manslaughter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can't imagine how that cop can articulate any reasonable fear of injury or death to himself or the public at the time he pulled the trigger. I'm sure somebody here will try real hard though.
View Quote

There's a video out there where some Canadian guy broke down the tape, found something relevant, and contacted Slager's attorney. Maybe he is hanging his hat on that?

Can't find the original video, but here's a short clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rfjoo0ucBc

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#47]
He should have taken a plea.  He will likely not see his kid grow up over a scumbag.  Very sad all the way around.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Ain't nobody got time for that. Most of these fools are just looking for a reason for unrest.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Indeed.  Not to mention he was the slowest runner ever.  The cop could have walked faster than him to catch him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guilty.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.

I can draw a pretty good conclusion from your join date, but that doesn't really mean anything, does it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top