Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You've been given like 10 reasons why you should drive an automatic with one foot, you are ignoring and arguing with those reasons.

I'm a very smooth driver, and I learned the correct way (with one foot).
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I learned to drive on a manual transmission. My left foot is reserved for the clutch pedal.  It's an ingrained habit - muscle memory- that my right foot is the only foot that touches the other two pedals.  Even when I was driving myself to the emergency room to have my right ankle X-rayed (it was just a bad sprain, but my ankle was the size of a big-ass grapefruit, and the color of a plum), I used my right foot for both gas and brake.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tactical/ PSD driving courses teach students to drive vehicles using both feet while driving an automatic. The reason is for the quicker reaction time and keeping motorcades in tighter formation.  The escape and evasion driving instruction was brought into the protection training initially by some well known race car drivers from back in the day. When you are driving at high speeds and need to get around corners there are techniques used like trail braking that control the weight of the vehicle to keep those four little patches of rubber on the road.
View Quote
How many times is the OP's daughter going to deal with an Iraqi ambush vs a lifetime of looking like a retard and messing up her vehicle?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I say no.... if your always using one foot to press both pedals... its easier to stomp the gas accidentally......  if you always brake with the left, your used to braking with the left, and less likely to stop the gas by accident.

not that I think that's much of a issue in the first place.... just saying its easier to be confused when using one foot for braking and gas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's harder to fuck up in an emergency if you only use one foot.

Not impossible, but harder.

I say no.... if your always using one foot to press both pedals... its easier to stomp the gas accidentally......  if you always brake with the left, your used to braking with the left, and less likely to stop the gas by accident.

not that I think that's much of a issue in the first place.... just saying its easier to be confused when using one foot for braking and gas.

Using a clutch must be so confusing for you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Standard transitions.  They still exist.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You've been given like 10 reasons why you should drive an automatic with one foot, you are ignoring and arguing with those reasons.

View Quote

List those 10 reasons.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

List those 10 reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

List those 10 reasons.

Read the thread
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

People tend to rest their left foot on the brake pedal.  Meaning brake lights are on all the time, and no one knows when the fuck you are really stopping.
View Quote

And the name for people who do this is: Mouth-breathing fucking retard.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Do you even heeltoe bro?

View Quote
This.

I don't drive automatics.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#12]
You can always tell when you're following a two-foot driver -- their brakelights keep flickering (or worse, the lights stays on).
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Read the thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

List those 10 reasons.

Read the thread

I did and I don't see one reason why I should not drive with two feet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

there were IMPLIED reasons... such as not to ride the brake..... or you might accidently stomp the wrong pedal..... but since I do neither of those things, I'm not seeing how using two feet hurts anything... it gives better control IMHO, such as at slow speeds, stop and go grid lock, off road driving over rocks etc, or defensive driving.  

I admit if you cant keep your foot off the brake, then you should stop braking with the left foot.... due to brake lights, and brake wear.... but I don't see a negative for braking with your left foot... IF YOU DO IT PROPERLY.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Standard trans? 2 feet, but the left foot is never used for the brake.

Auto? Hell no.

My wife and I just discussed this the other day, there was a video of a minivan that pulled out of car wash, drove over a curb, off an embankment, the over a fire hydrant and flipped. I told her, that's why you don't use two feet. At least, that's one of the reasons. If you're conditioned to remove your foot from the accelerator to apply the brake you're less likely to stab both in a panic like that driver did.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

List those 10 reasons.

Read the thread

You can lead a horse to water...
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People tend to rest their left foot on the brake pedal.  Meaning brake lights are on all the time, and no one knows when the fuck you are really stopping.

Bingo!  Using both feet while driving an automatic is fucking stupid for normal driving conditions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Auto? Hell no.

My wife and I just discussed this the other day, there was a video of a minivan that pulled out of car wash, drove over a curb, off an embankment, the over a fire hydrant and flipped. I told her, that's why you don't use two feet. At least, that's one of the reasons. If you're conditioned to remove your foot from the accelerator to apply the brake you're less likely to stab both in a panic like that driver did.
View Quote

That's the most stupid thing I've read so far today. The day is just getting rolling, though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
years ago when I learned to drive, it was with a clutch.... I wish I had three feet back then.... but anyway.... I always have driven with two feet my entire life.. one for gas, and one for brake. I always try for the smoothest ride when I am a driver.. gently braking, and accelerating, I try to avoid jerks etc..  when my daughter was going thru drivers ed and getting her license a few years back... it was EXTREMELY frowned upon to use both feet..... and the result was,  a jerky ride.

the reason I was thinking about this was, I just rode with a friend the other day, and it was a fucking really jerky assed ride... take foot off of brake, car starts rolling back, and then step on the gas... uggg...

whats your opinion??  seems to me its easier to have two feet on the pedals, to maintain better control, for smoother operation....  why is single foot for gas and brake preferred?
View Quote

One foot driving does not cause jerky driving
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#20]
One foot.  The first four cars I owned had a clutch.  Just got used to it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

there were IMPLIED reasons... such as not to ride the brake..... or you might accidently stomp the wrong pedal..... but since I do neither of those things, I'm not seeing how using two feet hurts anything... it gives better control IMHO, such as at slow speeds, stop and go grid lock, off road driving over rocks etc, or defensive driving.  

I admit if you cant keep your foot off the brake, then you should stop braking with the left foot.... due to brake lights, and brake wear.... but I don't see a negative for braking with your left foot... IF YOU DO IT PROPERLY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't gain you anything because either way you have to move your foot to the brake if you don't keep your left foot on the pedal- which you shouldn't do.
It makes the transition to driving a manual difficult.

Plus some of the other reasons mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I can spot the OP a mile behind him as we go up a hill on the expressway and his brakes are on......the whole damn way!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I drive a MT 90% of the time.  When I drive an AT, if I use my left foot for breaking, I automatically slam the pedal to the floor.  So, for AT I only use my right foot.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I've accidentally thrown the wrong stuff away when I had trash in one hand and *keepers* in the other too many times to have both feet involved in split second decision making actions.  It seems very unnatural to use both feet.  

I picture 2 feet drivers like this:

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

List those 10 reasons.

Read the thread

What kind of worthless response is that.

Give me the 10 reasons I should not drive with two feet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I voted two feet. Both of my cars have manual transmissions

Fuck autos.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I was a dedicated one foot driver (in an auto) until I got a RZR, running winding bumpy trails high speed or rock crawling I used the 2 foot method all the time. Now it's hard not to do while driving a vehicle, but I keep left foot on the floor until brake is needed, sometimes I still use just one foot. It's pretty hard to screw things up either way really, if you can't do either way I'm not sure what to say!

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#28]
because manuals still are out there, it makes sense to continue to teach brake-gas using 1 foot.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#29]
How does one drive a manual car properly if they use the same foot to operate the clutch petal and the brake? How the fuck do you downshift while braking quickly to enter turns and such? I don't get it.

And if you use a manual and your left foot is for brake and clutch, how in the fuck is it smother to be at a stop in neutral with left foot on Brake, right on gas, take foot off brake, depress clutch fully, insert into first gear and let out on clutch?

I don't get it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've seen people using 2 feet slam down on both pedals when they have to brake hard.
View Quote

this is virtually guarateed to happen in an emergency braking situation
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a worthless response because you refuse to read the thread and consider what has been said. I'm not going to do the work for you. There are extremely good reasons posted here already why two footed driving isn't and shouldn't be taught.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

no you don't.. you just let up with your right foot, and apply the brake at the same time... ( obviously not giving gas while your braking, or resting your brake foot on the brake while driving )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because you have to take your foot OFF of the gas pedal to put it on the brake pedal

no you don't.. you just let up with your right foot, and apply the brake at the same time... ( obviously not giving gas while your braking, or resting your brake foot on the brake while driving )

Some people are not that highly skilled.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#33]
They teach people to drive with one foot because two-footed driving invariably puts the vehicle in a position where it has to fight with itself at some point-- there's no manuver you'd to undertake in a regular driving where the brake and gas need to be depressed simultaneously.  It's not difficult to look at a vehicle and tell when a person uses two feet to drive.

Let your daughter learn how to drive with one foot.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was a dedicated one foot driver (in an auto) until I got a RZR, running winding bumpy trails high speed or rock crawling I used the 2 foot method all the time. Now it's hard not to do while driving a vehicle, but I keep left foot on the floor until brake is needed, sometimes I still use just one foot. It's pretty hard to screw things up either way really, if you can't do either way I'm not sure what to say!  
View Quote

I was just getting ready to post something similar.

I notice most two foot haters in here are from the southern states. We all know how talented they are on ice and snow.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I learned to drive on a manual transmission. My left foot is reserved for the clutch pedal.  It's an ingrained habit - muscle memory- that my right foot is the only foot that touches the other two pedals.  Even when I was driving myself to the emergency room to have my right ankle X-rayed (it was just a bad sprain, but my ankle was the size of a big-ass grapefruit, and the color of a plum), I used my right foot for both gas and brake.
View Quote

Exactly. Remove the clutch from the equation the left foot just chills out and everything is normal for right foot. That is why people drive with one foot.

Go carts are the exception to this rule.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's the most stupid thing I've read so far today. The day is just getting rolling, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Auto? Hell no.

It's actually a valid reason, but if it makes you paranoid 10 and 2 drivers feel better then have at it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's a worthless response because you refuse to read the thread and consider what has been said. I'm not going to do the work for you. There are extremely good reasons posted here already why two footed driving isn't and shouldn't be taught.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All your doing is blowing smoke.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's actually a valid reason, but if it makes you paranoid 10 and 2 drivers feel better then have at it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Auto? Hell no.

It's not a valid reason. The rest of your sentence makes no sense.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've accidentally thrown the wrong stuff away when I had trash in one hand and *keepers* in the other too many times to have both feet involved in split second decision making actions.  It seems very unnatural to use both feet.  

I picture 2 feet drivers like this:

http://i.imgur.com/AmmkdLv.jpg
View Quote

Exactly.

It reminds me of the guy on Top Gun flying with one hand on the eject lever.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. If you say so.

The emergency response is probably the best reason to avoid it. And BTW, I'm from Oregon and lived on the East Coast for a couple years, so I'm not stranger to driving in inclement weather....and there is still zero benefit to driving with 2 feet, and a few good reasons not to.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's because the RZR disables engine braking under something retarded like 2000rpm so you have to use both feet to keep the RPMs up so the damn thing doesn't freewheel and then send you sliding to your death down the steep ass trails around here where it may be too loose to do braking only.

Don't confuse a poor design on a SxS for teaching you better driving habits.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
driving an automatic with two feet is improper and drivers who do so usually destroy brakes
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I ran home one day from work and sprained my ankle on the way back to the car.
Since I absolutely had to get back to work I drove with only my left foot driving a manual VW Golf and using handbrake to let clutch out without rolling back.
It wasn't that hard.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Auto? Hell no.

I'm also reminded of an old saying- I don't recall exactly how it goes, but it's something to the effect of "if every other person around you is wrong, it might not be them who is wrong"
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#45]
I've used two feet but only in steep terrain.

If there is a jerky ride it has almost nothing to do with using two feet but rather just the driver.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm also reminded of an old saying- I don't recall exactly how it goes, but it's something to the effect of "if every other person around you is wrong, it might not be them who is wrong"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Auto? Hell no.

We got Obama because the majority was right. Got it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I notice most two foot haters in here are from the southern states. We all know how talented they are on ice and snow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now y'all are putting qualifications out there. The original post said nothing about off-road, or snow and ice. There are some instances where using 2 feet in an auto are beneficial, everyday traffic is not one.

Continue with the ad hominem insults because folks won't reinforce you're position, you're on a roll.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's harder to fuck up in an emergency if you only use one foot.

Not impossible, but harder.

View Quote

This. For most people, in an emergency stop, if both feet are used, there's a higher chance they'll press down with both feet, giving gas while trying to stop.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol. If you say so.

The emergency response is probably the best reason to avoid it. And BTW, I'm from Oregon and lived on the East Coast for a couple years, so I'm not stranger to driving in inclement weather....and there is still zero benefit to driving with 2 feet, and a few good reasons not to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. If you say so.

I bet you're one of those people who never practice point shooting.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top