Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2016 8:10:23 AM EDT
Magic Chef 6.9 cu ft

I need a larger freezer, the side by side in the kitchen has a pathetic freezer side.  Can't even fit a Totinos pizza in horizontally. I don't need a huge freezer, but shaped to fit larger items.  I figure some baskets will help make it easier to organize in a chest.  Does anyone have one of these and how has it worked out.  Mind you it is just me, fiancée and daughter, and I don't hunt or buy sides of beef.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought one of similar size from Lowes in the scratch and dent section about 8 years ago.

Thing is still working just fine, it is due for a defrosting though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you can go wrong with anything you find locally.

One piece of advice, go with the largest one you can afford, move, and fit in your house.

You will be amazed how quickly you fill it up.  Especially if you are married and/or have kids.

Bag of ice, pizza on sale, meat on sale, dead hookers, etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I never had that particular model but I've had many freezers over the years including a small 10  or 12 cubic footer for quite awhile. Personally, I prefer uprights but you aren't going to find one in that size. Most of mine have been bought used- they will last a LONG TIME- 15-20 years if cared for even a little. I have two 20' uprights now. We hunt quite a bit, slaughter a cow every fall, garden and buy lots of stuff on sales etc.....

I dunno if it "pays for itself" or not...What I do know, is that there is a hell of alot of peace of mind knowing that if I get dead or maimed tomorrow, the world goes to shit etc... my family eats well for the next year no matter what. And yes, I can keep both of them running that long even IF the power goes out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one from Best Buy that I think is the exact same unit under a different name.  Works fine and is very quiet.  Although not huge, it really helps with the clutter in the kitchen freezer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
We are in a rental home at the moment, and I do lack space, so this is really as big as I can go .  In the future, an upright might make it into the kitchen, in a home we own.  Plus, I usually go for midget hookers....  My plan is for mostly prepped / cooked meal storage.  Cook meats and such on the weekends for weeks worth of food to heat up after work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Stuff tends to get buried easier in a chest freezer as opposed to an upright. But if you don't have the space for an upright, chest is all you can get.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#8]
We have that same freezer bought earlier this year on sale. We finally bought one after years of discussion just before my son was born in July and are happy with the size. Lots of frozen breast milk, lots of frozen on sale meat. Will be addind venison the first of the month.

I also like it for making block ice for the cooler and fish bag on the boat/kayak.

It's not huge, but fits our needs well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I too am interested. Will something this size hold 2 deer? That may be 80 lbs of meat.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Cold Air doesn't fall out of a chest freezer once you open the door.  Good to have.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had that exact unit for several years.  It's still cold inside
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I too am interested. Will something this size hold 2 deer? That may be 80 lbs of meat.
View Quote

Depends on how they are butchered.  Per OKState:  A rule of thumb is one cubic foot of freezer space for each 35-40 pounds of cut and wrapped meat. Allow slightly more space when the meat is packaged in odd shapes. How many Pounds of Meat are there in a Carcass, a Side, a Quarter, or a Wholesale Cut? An average beef carcass weighs about 600 pounds.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a stand up instead.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#14]
We have that exact one. It has been running great for years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Depends on how they are butchered.  Per OKState:  A rule of thumb is one cubic foot of freezer space for each 35-40 pounds of cut and wrapped meat. Allow slightly more space when the meat is packaged in odd shapes. How many Pounds of Meat are there in a Carcass, a Side, a Quarter, or a Wholesale Cut? An average beef carcass weighs about 600 pounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like it should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get a stand up instead.
View Quote

Space and money.  This is 199 and I can physically move it around.  Stand ups are not nearly as cheap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will right after you buy it. But next year you're going to have frozen pizzas, briskets that you stocked up on at $1.99/lb, pork butts you bought at $.88/lb....and you're going to need a bigger freezer. At least that was my experience.

As someone else said-used is fine. Check out Craigslist
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Another question, how long is vacuum sealed raw meat good for in this (still tastes good) and how long for cooked vacuum sealed meats?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one like that. I don't need a big freezer, just something better than the one on my side by side.

I use it to hold the venison and other meat before it gets rotated into what I think of as "short term storage". The freezer on the side of my fridge is self defrosting, the temps are not as stable.

I keep the little chest one in my mud room and vacuum seal the meat. I've eaten meat over 3 years old that still tastes great!

I guess it's because it stays cold. I have a high low thermometer that has a probe that goes in the freezer. I can get a sense of how the temps cycle.

Anyway, it is kind of a pain to plow around in it and keep things rotated. It serves the purpose and doesn't take up much space though.

We have frequent electrical outages and things stay cold a long time. One time there was an extended outage and I picked up some dry ice from Publix. It stayed -25 for 3 days!  By then the power was back on.

I don't need a bigger one, I can a lot of my meat and prefer it that way but sealing and freezing is a lot easier.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a 5 cf. One this year because my old monstrous upright died. My light bill went down a lot. Was pretty cheap too. Mine will fit 2 deer easily.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Space and money.  This is 199 and I can physically move it around.  Stand ups are not nearly as cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a stand up instead.

You can get small upright freezers.  We have one that takes up less floor space than outrsmall chest.

In a chest things tend to migrate down, even with baskets

As to the vacuum seal question, We ate a pack of pork chops last week that we vacuum sealed in 2014.  They were fine.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Another question, how long is vacuum sealed raw meat good for in this (still tastes good) and how long for cooked vacuum sealed meats?
View Quote

Years and years
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

FDA link

I think you could easily double the times listed (for freezing) in that pdf, if you wrap things well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't speak to the quality of the freezer, but I have a very comparable size chest freezer and it is plenty of room for what two adults and a toddler need. I have even put some fish I caught out of the Gulf and the meat from a decent sized doe in there with still plenty of room.  

My wife makes ready to go crock pot meals that take up a gallon ziploc bag and there's probably 7 or 8 in there too. ~7 cu. feet is plenty of space and you could possibly downsize to a 5 cu. foot unit for your needs and still be fine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I have an upright and a chest freezer in my basement.

The upright has packaged foods like pizzas and frozen dinners, ice cream, leftovers, fruit, bread, and nuts.

The chest freezer has raw meat and vegetables.  Both work great.

I had originally bought some plastic milkcrate-type tubs to store and organize stuff in the chest freezer, but I wound up using reusable cloth grocery bags.  They work great.  They breathe, so air can circulate; the handles make them easy to lift out; they only take up as much room as the contents need; and I can just stack them beside and on top of each other.  Bags for chicken, beef, seafood, deer, sausage, veggies, etc...

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
...I wound up using reusable cloth grocery bags.  They work great.  ...
View Quote

Awesome idea, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Awesome idea, thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...I wound up using reusable cloth grocery bags.  They work great.  ...

Awesome idea, thanks.

Second that!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I have that freezer, three years old now and no issues.  I mainly keep fish in it along with frozen water bottles for the boat cooler. . The only drawback is that it'
s so quiet I cannot tell if it's running or not after a power outage.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought the same one OP...200$.  it will take the majority of a processed elk...ribs,vertebrae,and everything else.

it's worked great.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought the same-or similar (7 cubic foot) Magic Chef
freezer in December, 2006 from Home Depot.

Paid $217.91 including tax.

It runs perfectly and it is exactly the right size for

a year's worth of venison, frozen vegetables, and fruit.

Actually took a picture of the receipt and manual to post here,

but Photobucket is a nightmare.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Whatever you do, spend the $12 on a freezer alarm.  It could save you a lot of frustration.

I keep venison wrapped in freezer paper up to a year in my chest freezer with no issue.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Got one just like it from Sams Club, keeps MREs and deer frozen. Not sure what kind of review your'e looking for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cold Air doesn't fall out of a chest freezer once you open the door.  Good to have.
View Quote

Same applies to chest refrigerators (converted freezer).  Requires some rethinking of how the kitchen is laid out (cabinets, counter space, etc) though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can easily get two Ohio deer in my small chest freezer. Those small rebel deer? Prolly seven or eight of 'em...
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Got one just like it from Sams Club, keeps MREs and deer frozen. Not sure what kind of review your'e looking for.
View Quote

Mostly looking for what people are saying about that specific one.  Reliable, keeps food frozen, if the power is out for a few hours it will hold everything frozen.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have that freezer, three years old now and no issues.  I mainly keep fish in it along with frozen water bottles for the boat cooler. . The only drawback is that it'
s so quiet I cannot tell if it's running or not after a power outage.
View Quote

What brand/model?

ETA:  I guess I should read more closely.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#37]
My parents have one and they like it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for all the input!  I will pick one up today!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Get a stand up instead.
View Quote

Get both.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I have one from Best Buy that I think is the exact same unit under a different name.  Works fine and is very quiet.  Although not huge, it really helps with the clutter in the kitchen freezer.
View Quote
Agreed.  Sold under many brands, cheap price, cheap freezer though they seem ok.

Use a credit card that extends manuf warranty.  The Costco visa adds 2 years.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Good to go OP.  Bought one just like it from Lowes over 7 years ago.  Works well, survived a PCS.  

FO now!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#42]
i just got that exact one to stuff ful of elk. works fine.

the exterior was dented a bit but that's not really a fault of the product just mishandling
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I buy appliances from Home Depot or Lowe's if the price is right.
I got one, mini fridge, on sale and it was cheaper than a similar one of a different brand name at a warehouse club price.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mostly looking for what people are saying about that specific one.  Reliable, keeps food frozen, if the power is out for a few hours it will hold everything frozen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there's space (I rarely have mine full)  get a few Homer buckets, fill with water and throw em in.  Make good chest cavity ice blocks for deer and elk to get them home. Also helps with outages.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought one that size.  A portion of the interior is taken up with the compressor.  I bought 3 cases of bottled water and put that in the bottom next to that area, making it level.  I figured that space is going to end up with old forgotten items anyway as it would have to pull everything out to get to it.  Plus it provides a thermal buffer if the power goes out.  Then I bought some small baskets/crates to hold items.  The items are generally grouped by basket so you can pull out just one basket and get what you need.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#46]
we have a similarly sized GE that works fine for us.  We also have an upright but only use it during deer season while processing, or if we get lucky longer.  Things will get buried in the chest style is a slight disadvantage, but they tend to be more efficient than an upright so its a trade off.  The size is good for us now that its just us and not two kids on top of that.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Go big. A small freezer sucks to dig through.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Vertical > chest.  With a chest freezer, everything gets buried.

The same as you, we figured that a side-by-side fridge gave you a tiny, barely usable freezer, and a small fridge.  So we bought a fridge (no freezer at all) for the kitchen, and a large vertical freezer for the laundry room.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Get a stand up instead.
View Quote

TERRIBLE ADVICE!!

Chest Freezers are 100% more efficient than vertical freezers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I checked those freezers couple years ago at all the large appliance dealers and HD and what I found was that they were sold under 4 or 5 different brand names but were all made in same factory.  Cheapest was $149 on sale at HD.  Yes, they hold a lot of food and they usually last 15+ years easy and maybe 20+ if you take care of them.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top